News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What techs would a playable Schala have?  (Read 2311 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
What techs would a playable Schala have?
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:57 pm »
The idea of Schala being a playable character in Chrono Trigger has always been an interesting topic of conversation among fans. Most agree that if this was possible, she would have probably joined either before or after the Ocean Palace disaster. But what techs would Schala actually have? Based on what we see in game, although she is a powerful spellcaster, she doesn't seem quite as good as Magus/Janus is. Especially when it comes to offensive techs (being a nice and non-aggressive person). I honestly think that her techs would probably be somewhat a combination of what Magus and Marle has (and possibly a bit of Frog's techs).

In my opinion, Schala's tech list as a playable character might look something like this:

Heal
Cure2
Barrier
Shield
Fire2
Ice2
Lightning2
Life2

Not necessarily in that order, but something like that. Perhaps it would be better to have her learn the three offensive spells first like Magus, but this makes more sense to me seeing as how in the game, she is an expert at support/barrier type of magic, along with possibly healing. This tech setup would therefore make Schala a great healer and support character, but a bit lousy at fighting which again, makes sense for her character type and personality. She might also make Marle look a bit useless by comparison. Which brings up another point, instead of trying to add an eighth character, couldn't a romhack just replace Marle with Schala? Now that would be an interesting thing to see. Especially story wise, since the replacement of these characters would change the story line drastically. But enough of that. Moving back to topic now, what techs do you all think that Schala would have and why (assuming she joined the party).

Note: I only added what single techs Schala might have, but you can add double and triple techs as well if you like. Making such lists just seemed as though it would have taken too much time for me. Another interesting point of conversation would be what weapon she would use if any. I'm guessing that it would either be a crossbow like Marle or a staff of some sort. Either way, she would not be a good attacking character (which is to be expected of spellcasters).

Edit: And as a separate thought, it would also be a great idea if shield/barrier/haste would be changed to target all characters instead of just one at a time.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:03:58 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: What techs would a playable Schala have?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:06:09 pm »
Toad Flare
Poyoyozo Dance
Dark Eternal
Twin Charm (jajaja)
Slurp Kiss
Trine (what was the name again in this game)
S Slash *hah*
Whirlsand

There you go. :D

WerewolfX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:20:03 pm »
I can see her replacing Marle as dedicated healer, give Marle some more offensive abilities to match her ice magic, maybe make a new magic style(or bs one in story) for Schala about "life magic"

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 01:09:02 am »
I think part of what makes Chrono Trigger such a treat is that each of the characters has his or her own unique little niche.  Maybe there's really no room for something extra.  (Goodness knows efforts like the Lost Sanctum could have been dispensed with.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:03:57 am »
Since Magus is Shadow, I think she'd be a more magic-focused Lightning/Sky/Whatever.  With more of a white mage stint and a spread of different magic elements for that role.

Lightning
Cure/Heal
Life
Lightning2
Cure 2/Heal 2
Haste (or another buff)
Life 2
Luminarie (Remember: in the original game this spell is already buffed to compensate for Crono's MAG.  This makes it bonkers on someone with proper stat.)
Canis Major (Or whatever.  I have no clue what this would be.  I know this is adding content, but I'd feel bad if I didn't remotely reference the WolfLobeSword what with her basically being a paradox.  Give Haste/Barrier/Shield to all?)

The dumb, but fun "what if you could do anything" idea because spitballing... all techs are based off of dummied out content and her element is blank, as a sort of summoner of things that should not be.  Rough thingy, these won't all fit in the name box:

DarkSaber: Shadow damage
PicoMagnum: Fire damage
WolfLobeSword: Lightning damage
Breakwave: Water damage
Relic: A heal.
Exoskeleton: Barrier and Shield for all.
Eternal Repose: Stops all enemies
1999: Alternate Dimension Lavos.  Probably your huge damage final tech.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:46:33 pm by Chronosplit »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 02:12:09 pm »
I think the biggest question would be what weapon she equips.

Anyway, I think she should definitely have Protect and Barrier (aka Magic Wall). Wouldn't it be interesting though if she had some of the lower-leveled double techs as single techs? Things like Aura Whirl, Ice Water, & Antipode. Her ultimate magic could be Lifeline. Also, like Magus, she would have no double techs.

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 03:22:22 pm »

Anyway, I think she should definitely have Protect and Barrier (aka Magic Wall). Wouldn't it be interesting though if she had some of the lower-leveled double techs as single techs? Things like Aura Whirl, Ice Water, & Antipode. Her ultimate magic could be Lifeline. Also, like Magus, she would have no double techs.

OR MAYBE...
she could have a double tech with Magus. Something like a Shadow/Lightning bro/sis magic, like Antipode.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 09:19:55 pm »
It is a bigger question than you'd think, because she needs animations to go with that weapon type.

Anyway, I was thinking that the Antipode family would be a nice replacement for tiered spells if you'd want to be rid of them.  They're all shadow element IIRC.

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
I'm on the opposite side, I think she'd be a Shadow magic user. Hence Janus becomes Magus, like trying to imitate her or follow in her legacy or something. If I remember correctly, Queen Zeal also deals Shadow damage. Also, the seal she's made to cast on the portal looks an awful lot like Dark Matter (the triangle/pyramid thing).

That said, it would only make sense if she replaced Magus instead of adding her as an 8th character. But still, she's supposed to be more powerful than him. So instead of Light 2/Fire 2/Ice 2, maybe she uses Luminaire/Antipode/something else. And a Revive for good measure.

Gloves. No animations needed, just a palette swap on the hands.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:06:48 pm »
With Ayla, I don't think they even did a palette swap whenever her fists upgraded.  Robo's arms did though.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 06:41:33 pm »
It would be interesting to have her as a pure magic/non melee type, maybe with a mix of high level light and dark magic, with some healing skills for good measure.

It's been way too long since I've played Chrono Trigger :-\
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High n' Heavy - Warrior Queen || https://youtu.be/xyrpwteptig

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 12:46:51 pm »
Or she could alternate her attacks between punches and kicks kind of like the "gargoyle" type enemies do in Chrono Trigger. Although, this would just make her a weaker version of Ayla attack wise unless there was some sort of weapon she could equip like kung fu shoes or something. Either way, it wouldn't really matter since magic would be her specialty anyways. Though, you all can't tell me that you wouldn't want to see Schala doing some high kicks? The only question would be if she is still wearing her robe then or something else. Maybe some sort of fighting/martial arts outfit/uniform or perhaps even some tight yoga pants and a tank top? ;)

Edit: I just realized that this might make her look a bit like Sarah from Shining Force 2 when promoted to the Master Monk Class (scroll down a bit to see her sprite):
https://sf2.shiningforcecentral.com/characters/shining-force-ii/sarah/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:05:47 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:09:35 pm »
I'm all for Magic Kung Fu.  Heck, Cross also had mages that hit people with gloves. :P

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 04:17:46 pm »
One word:
Pimpslap.
 :woot!:
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:01 am »
It occurs to me that Chrono Trigger never had any kind of "hypno" skill like in the Final Fantasy games, wherein you can use the enemy's attacks against other enemies.  Or an enemy "confuse" status, for that matter.  But that's probably pretty tricky to program.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 01:21:47 am »
It occurs to me that Chrono Trigger never had any kind of "hypno" skill like in the Final Fantasy games, wherein you can use the enemy's attacks against other enemies.  Or an enemy "confuse" status, for that matter.  But that's probably pretty tricky to program.
Can't be that tough to program. There was a confuse status for PCs, and there were certain actions that the player could choose to target the party or the enemy. Without knowing anything at all about CT's makeup, but having tinkered with other SNES-era Square games, I'm sure it'd be possible.
The pimpslap, though... There's the challenge.

Latest Demo

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 03:08:01 pm »
To confuse enemies, use Provoke.

Pimpslap mostly requires custom animations. Altering an attack to use them is simple.
Mauron wuz here.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:14 pm »
I think part of what makes Chrono Trigger such a treat is that each of the characters has his or her own unique little niche.  Maybe there's really no room for something extra.  (Goodness knows efforts like the Lost Sanctum could have been dispensed with.)

Seconded and I'll take it a step further.

Giving Schala only techs which other people in the game already have is against the philosphy of Chrono Trigger itself. Each character in Chrono Trigger who is a playable character in battle has their own techniques, which nobody else can do.

Schala, if she were made a playable character, would have to have techniques which no other character had, and you would have to use some creativity and make them up yourself.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:09 am »
To confuse enemies, use Provoke.

Pimpslap mostly requires custom animations. Altering an attack to use them is simple.

You are assuming the goal of a pimpslap is to damage, when everyone knows the goal of the pimpslap is to keep one's ho in line. As there are no existing techs to keep hos in line, the pimpslap would require some custom assembly.

Seconded and I'll take it a step further.

Giving Schala only techs which other people in the game already have is against the philosphy of Chrono Trigger itself. Each character in Chrono Trigger who is a playable character in battle has their own techniques, which nobody else can do.

Schala, if she were made a playable character, would have to have techniques which no other character had, and you would have to use some creativity and make them up yourself.
Pimpslap.
So ends my catechism.

Latest Demo

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 03:39:07 pm »
As for weapons, she could be a pure mage, and use some minor mage attack as melee so, IMHO, she should use books/grimoires.
Also, I strongly agree with the new, exclusive magic for her.