News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: MOTHER / EarthBound Addendums (Vanilla Sprites, Stats, etc)  (Read 5301 times)

redmagejoe

• View Profile
Re: MOTHER / EarthBound Addendums (Vanilla Sprites, Stats, etc)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 02:27:19 pm »
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll try the FCEUX debugger.

Having said that, I've mostly got the behavior of multiple level ups in an ideal state. If I could just place a newline/scroll BEFORE the leveled up message, it would be even better, as any new leveled up lines would monopolize the text box during the player input pause. I could release it as-is, but I don't like to settle, so I'm going to see what I can do.

March 02, 2019, 06:45:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This project became much more involved than I'd initially planned as I tinker with things and have fun with it, and the patch is promising to be bigger and bigger. I've decided to tweak a couple of Dragon's battle theme choices to be more contextually appropriate (a few Dangerous Foe themes were reverted, but in other places, Flippant was used instead; Dragon really loved the Hippie BGM, and who can blame him?). I'd also like to revert encounter rates, as Dragon's rates are insanely low and makes grinding difficult.

I'm wondering if people would like rates outright reverted, or still lower than vanilla. The highest rate appears to be 20 (32 in decimal) while Dragon's highest rate is 03, making it nearly impossible to find battle sometimes. Having said that, there are some places where encounter rates are insanely high; like 2 steps from a battle into another high. Thoughts?

March 03, 2019, 02:59:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've finished tweaking battle themes. Dragon seemed to follow a "same sprites, same theme" methodology. I preferred a more contextual approach (how dangerous is this thing compared to other things in the game and to a psychic child?). While I was going through the enemy group tables to find the BGM choices though, I found there was one change Dragon made for rebalancing, and that's reducing Rockoyles (Satanias in the retranslation) from 2x and 3x groups to 1x and 2x groups. I'm conflicted on this, because on one hand, I do imagine that with their lesser stats and the fact that they're in the home stretch of the game, they're par for the course. At the same time, a group of 3 PK Freeze users seems like it's designed just to spit in your face and wipe your party.

Still trying to decide whether to leave or revert Satania groups. Reverted
Still trying to decide whether to peruse Dragon's enemy stat changes (again citing the online resources relevance thing). Reverted
Still trying to decide specifically HOW to approach enemy encounter rates (reversion versus middle ground) Middle ground
Still trying to figure out how to add a newline/line scroll BEFORE "Character leveled up!" Finally done

That's my current itinerary for the Re-Faithful combat hack.

March 06, 2019, 03:36:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've done it! The patch should be ready to release soon! I'd just like to review a couple of the under-the-hood changes with Dragon and make sure there's no surprises (especially in those unknown sections of ROM) that might cause undesirable behavior, and I'll put the patch up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:36:16 pm by redmagejoe »

redmagejoe

• View Profile
Re: MOTHER / EarthBound Addendums (Vanilla Sprites, Stats, etc)
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 09:46:23 am »
The MOTHER - Re-Faithful patch is now live!

Get it here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4414/