News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Final Fight AE CPS2 Beta Starts February 1st!

Started by Grego, March 06, 2019, 12:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XtraSmiley

Quote from: GameHackFan on May 23, 2021, 08:35:19 AM
Hi Guys,


I recently created a Level Editor and an Enemy Randomizer for the beat'em up called Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (Arcade), it is a web tool and this is the link to it https://gamehackfan.github.io/pssme/.


This is very interesting looking! I have an original board, would this be able to burn EPROMs to make the game behave in the way you have hacked it? Also, have you don't your own thread about this one?

Grego

Gamehackfan, cool stuff, we are working on an editor as well for an upcoming update to ffae. More will be revealed soon.
UltraNet SNES Network Adapter: https://twitch.tv/ultranetsnes
F-Zero Final v0.2 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzmOP23_F6A
F-Zero Final Github: https://github.com/originalgrego/FZeroFinal

GameHackFan

Quote from: XtraSmiley on May 27, 2021, 01:08:14 PM
This is very interesting looking! I have an original board, would this be able to burn EPROMs to make the game behave in the way you have hacked it? Also, have you don't your own thread about this one?


I don't have any skills on that matter, but in theory the changes were minimal and it should work since very few data in the original game was changed, I mostly used empty bytes to handle all levels. Maybe someone more skilled could randomize a ROM using the tool and analyze what was done and check if it would cause any problems to put in a real arcade.

Also, this randomizer is seed based, so it randomizes a ROM and it ends up being like that forever, to have a new ROM, you will need to randomize again, so burning EPROMs is not what comes into my mind since you will end up stuck with that ROM forever.


Quote from: Grego on May 27, 2021, 01:40:18 PM
Gamehackfan, cool stuff, we are working on an editor as well for an upcoming update to ffae. More will be revealed soon.


Nice, you could check what I made and see if it can help you. I know how to handle locks, like adding as much as I want, manipulating how long they will hold, since final fight has a frame amount to release a lock even though you didn't beat all enemies that spawns in the lock, after a certain amount of frames it releases, I know how to move them to any place I want, set the amount of enemies so the lock knows if you killed all enemies required. I didn't add a lock editor to the tool because I was kind of lazy. On RIP level there are 3 damnds so they will whistle up to six times, I made a loop between locks to handle that so the game doesn't crash because it was not meant to have more than 2. I also didn't randomize the lock positions since it felt like very few locks would be affected.

There are a lot of stuff I did there, I also organized the data inside the generated ROM, like all information of a specific level except to bosses are in sequence, like the normal parts and the lock parts, and I also added extra bytes to help to identify what a sequence of bytes is handling, like L1B1 (Level 1 Block 1) is the first lock of the level 1. Extra locks that I added are easy to spot too, since I marked them like L3E1 (Level 3 Extra Lock 1). In the github project, inside the info folder, there are also a lot of information, it might by useful.

I created the randomizer so people can generate a rom in a few seconds, making those games different every time you play and the level editor is for those who always wanted to make hacks and have no idea how to do it.

I like to play beat'em ups online, so I didn't put a lot of effort in those tools because the idea was to release as much tools as possible in a short period of time, because I had in mind to create these tools for the other main beat'em ups, like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Captain Commando and maybe The Punisher too, but I guess I already ran out of steam, so I won't touch these games for now.

Well at least we have something for 2 beat'em ups right now, sailor moon and final fight, these 2 games had very few hacks out there, now they have around 10^16 hacks, =).

jjennings089

I love this hack of the game. Anyone know how to unlock the extra characters?

ShadowX

Hi, Grego,

Regarding the below:

Quote from: Grego on March 04, 2020, 10:18:50 AM
The code already works on sf2 boards, please don't convert a ff board. 😃

Were you saying then that it's not possible to "upgrade" an original Final Fight (World) 89624B-3 ROM board to Final Fight: AE? I can't just burn a GAL or something (S224B in 1A, maybe)? Would I have to convert an original SF2 board instead? I have a SF2UK (as in USA rev. K, the final release, I think) 90629B-3 board, but I'd rather use my Final Fight B-board if at all possible since I like to play OG SF2 from time to time. Without that CPS1 Multi out yet, I don't particularly want to change up SF2, admittedly. I guess it is what it is though, and that's fine if this is the case, although I'd still appreciate some clarification on which B-boards you can actually use for FFIGHTAE (even if it's certain SF2 B-boards only). I was planning on using my SF2CE 92631C-6 board as well (has B-21 chip). I use that C-board for Captain Commando for three or four players after happily acquiring unused, original Capcom P3/P4 connectors with wiring (woot!), and of course, with SF2CE for the 1P/2P kick harness (as it is the C-board that it came with). I also noticed in the ffightae.zip I created with your Java setup thingie that there is a 7H ROM which I definitely do not even have on my FFIGHT 89624B-3 board nor my SF2CE 91635B-2 B-board nor my SF2UK 90629B-3 board. The closest slot is 8H on the FFIGHT B-board. It has 8-12 in Column H (not 1-7 though), whereas my SF2 and SF2CE boards only go up to Column F. I could upload pictures too, if you'd like.

P.S.  Also while looking into this, I noticed I have AMD and Intel EPROM chips on my FFIGHT board! I don't think I've ever owned anything else with stuff made by both AMD and Intel simultaneously installed before  =] That's kind of a trip.

Pleiades7

Quote from: Grego on May 27, 2021, 01:40:18 PM
Gamehackfan, cool stuff, we are working on an editor as well for an upcoming update to ffae. More will be revealed soon.

Hey there!

Saw you are working on yet another upgrade/enhancement of the game, with sound effect improvements and features from better Capcom chip boards and stuff like that.

First of all, thank you SO much for the changes you made to this game. As much as I love Final Fight it is a game that is long in the tooth and gets a little boring and monotonous when playing it again after all these years.

One thing this game is REALLY missing, and needs, if you are gonna go the enhancement route is extra move for each character.

Is that possible? I'm guessing ANYTHING is possible. But it would be cool if the characters all got ONE extra move. Maybe similar to Streets of Rage where you press twice forward and the attack button. Also, since Cody gets a special knife attack, it would be cool if Guy gets a special sword attack and Haggar gets a special pipe attack. Seems like the developers of the game had strict deadlines and would've included such things but because of time constraints and budgetary limitations they had to keep it simple.

Again, the holy grail for me is at least ONE extra move per character. If that ever happened, then this flawed masterpiece finally is complete IMHO and perfect My 2 cents.

GameHackFan

Quote from: Pleiades7 on December 17, 2021, 11:35:27 AM
Hey there!

Saw you are working on yet another upgrade/enhancement of the game, with sound effect improvements and features from better Capcom chip boards and stuff like that.

First of all, thank you SO much for the changes you made to this game. As much as I love Final Fight it is a game that is long in the tooth and gets a little boring and monotonous when playing it again after all these years.

One thing this game is REALLY missing, and needs, if you are gonna go the enhancement route is extra move for each character.

Is that possible? I'm guessing ANYTHING is possible. But it would be cool if the characters all got ONE extra move. Maybe similar to Streets of Rage where you press twice forward and the attack button. Also, since Cody gets a special knife attack, it would be cool if Guy gets a special sword attack and Haggar gets a special pipe attack. Seems like the developers of the game had strict deadlines and would've included such things but because of time constraints and budgetary limitations they had to keep it simple.

Again, the holy grail for me is at least ONE extra move per character. If that ever happened, then this flawed masterpiece finally is complete IMHO and perfect My 2 cents.

Well, having a running mechanic for sure would be cool, but about the special skills, Cody handles the knife, Guy can wall jump (only he can do that, it is his skill) and Haggar can grab enemies and walk with them while holding them and he also has a pile driver (Haggar's skill is grappling), the game say that if you read the characters profile, if I am not wrong, so special skill for all characters is not a missing feature I guess.


Grego, playing with a friend today, I noticed that at least for the 1st player, when you die all lives and you press start mid game, the game doesn't allow you to pick the same character as the 2nd player, I think that doesn't happen for the other players, it only happens when player 2 is holding a character and player 1 tries to select that same character mid game, just informing you since you're still working on FFAE, :).


Pleiades7

Quote from: GameHackFan on December 18, 2021, 10:53:01 AM
Well, having a running mechanic for sure would be cool, but about the special skills, Cody handles the knife, Guy can wall jump (only he can do that, it is his skill) and Haggar can grab enemies and walk with them while holding them and he also has a pile driver (Haggar's skill is grappling), the game say that if you read the characters profile, if I am not wrong, so special skill for all characters is not a missing feature I guess.


Grego, playing with a friend today, I noticed that at least for the 1st player, when you die all lives and you press start mid game, the game doesn't allow you to pick the same character as the 2nd player, I think that doesn't happen for the other players, it only happens when player 2 is holding a character and player 1 tries to select that same character mid game, just informing you since you're still working on FFAE, :).

Yeah, the special skill is probably already covered. But even so.... an extra attack is sorely missing. Like in Streets of Rage. Maybe a run would be cool. But, the game still needs one more thing: say, if you tapped forward twice and pushed attack, and launched into a new attack, then that would be awesome. There is a similar project that reminds me of this: Mortal Kombat +, where those game developers give those characters an extra move, etc.

In any case, it's something I always wanted to see. The game, classic as it is, is kinda on the boring side these days tbh. Any variety would help rejuvenate IMHO.

shin_hibiki

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what emulators are recommended/required to run this?  It says it patched correctly, but if I try it in standard MAME or FBN, the resulting game is just the normal unpatched version.  Happy to provide as many details as necessary to show just how much I don't know!  (FWIW, I have typically used non-merged collections for simplicity, so switching over to split ones has me fouled up a bit.)


shin_hibiki

Just tried HBmame too.  Same deal.  Is there a setting I have to change or something?  I've never used it before.  It seems like if it patched correctly, it should either display the patched content or not run at all.  I noticed that when it patched, the resulting ffightae.zip was missing five files that didn't carry over from the split romset (36.11f, 37.12f, 42.11h, 32m.8h, 43.12h) and added two that weren't there before (22m.7h, 23m.8h).  It wouldn't run at all without the missing five, so I literally tried adding them to the new zip file (this is where I get in trouble with split roms).

GameHackFan

Quote from: Pleiades7 on December 18, 2021, 09:34:43 PM
Yeah, the special skill is probably already covered. But even so.... an extra attack is sorely missing. Like in Streets of Rage. Maybe a run would be cool. But, the game still needs one more thing: say, if you tapped forward twice and pushed attack, and launched into a new attack, then that would be awesome. There is a similar project that reminds me of this: Mortal Kombat +, where those game developers give those characters an extra move, etc.

In any case, it's something I always wanted to see. The game, classic as it is, is kinda on the boring side these days tbh. Any variety would help rejuvenate IMHO.


I made a Seed Randomizer, it is kind of brutal, but it brings new challenges, you could try and see if you like it.

Quote from: shin_hibiki on December 22, 2021, 04:14:14 PM
Just tried HBmame too.  Same deal.  Is there a setting I have to change or something?  I've never used it before.  It seems like if it patched correctly, it should either display the patched content or not run at all.  I noticed that when it patched, the resulting ffightae.zip was missing five files that didn't carry over from the split romset (36.11f, 37.12f, 42.11h, 32m.8h, 43.12h) and added two that weren't there before (22m.7h, 23m.8h).  It wouldn't run at all without the missing five, so I literally tried adding them to the new zip file (this is where I get in trouble with split roms).

The emulators I know that can run it are HBMame and FBNeo. I personally use HBMame to test and FBNeo to play.

Grego

Hey guys, been a while, in case you've missed out on what's happening we have been working on porting Final Fight AE to CPS2 for the past several months. 

The Q-Sound work is complete, almost all the overlays are finished, and a slew of enhancements are available to modify the game play via the service menu!

We have delivered the second alpha to our alpha testers, a preview of some of the most recent changes are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYg0wRSVhs

A full playthrough of the most recent build can be seen on several of our alpha testers twitch channels:

Gillaxian's Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1240264105

D.Owl's Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1237599007

If you'd like to keep up to date with the project our Patreon is now the official source of information, all posts are public and can be viewed here:

https://www.patreon.com/arcade_atavism

The beta will be available to all our patrons February 1st, please check the Patreon for details.

As far as:

Quote from: shin_hibiki on December 22, 2021, 04:14:14 PM
Just tried HBmame too.  Same deal.  Is there a setting I have to change or something?  I've never used it before.  It seems like if it patched correctly, it should either display the patched content or not run at all.  I noticed that when it patched, the resulting ffightae.zip was missing five files that didn't carry over from the split romset (36.11f, 37.12f, 42.11h, 32m.8h, 43.12h) and added two that weren't there before (22m.7h, 23m.8h).  It wouldn't run at all without the missing five, so I literally tried adding them to the new zip file (this is where I get in trouble with split roms).

If you are adding in the "missing" files you are including the original code for final fight.... which is no longer used, whatever emu you are using is picking up on this and loading the original game instead.  Make sure your emu has support for ffae and be sure to launch the correct version of the game.
UltraNet SNES Network Adapter: https://twitch.tv/ultranetsnes
F-Zero Final v0.2 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzmOP23_F6A
F-Zero Final Github: https://github.com/originalgrego/FZeroFinal

GameHackFan

Quote from: Grego on December 23, 2021, 01:52:42 PM
Hey guys, been a while, in case you've missed out on what's happening we have been working on porting Final Fight AE to CPS2 for the past several months. 

The Q-Sound work is complete, almost all the overlays are finished, and a slew of enhancements are available to modify the game play via the service menu!

We have delivered the second alpha to our alpha testers, a preview of some of the most recent changes are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYg0wRSVhs

A full playthrough of the most recent build can be seen on several of our alpha testers twitch channels:

Gillaxian's Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1240264105

D.Owl's Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1237599007

If you'd like to keep up to date with the project our Patreon is now the official source of information, all posts are public and can be viewed here:

https://www.patreon.com/arcade_atavism

The beta will be available to all our patrons February 1st, please check the Patreon for details.

As far as:

If you are adding in the "missing" files you are including the original code for final fight.... which is no longer used, whatever emu you are using is picking up on this and loading the original game instead.  Make sure your emu has support for ffae and be sure to launch the correct version of the game.

This CPS2 port is looking very good, just by watching it you can see the game running smoother, I also liked the randomization of the colors and the new features inside the service menu, even more the possibility of increasing the HP of the enemies, congratulations :).

Spooniest

Heard that some sound upgrades are being worked on and this just occurred to me all of a sudden, that it'd make a really cool romhacking project to actually get access to a foley studio and make all new sound effects for a game. :)
Yamero~~!

SCD

#176
Your project is coming along really well, I'm looking forward to the beta in February. Great job so far! :thumbsup:

Are there any plans on redoing the entire soundtrack to make it sound more like what you would hear in SSF2T, now that this game is on the CPS2 arcade board?

Will there also be a option where you can have the enemies appear in their original colors as well?

Anubi 2

Hey guys you know how to get ffae Known as v0.2 it fixes:

Haggar dynamite scene graphics error

P1/P2 no-dupe character bug

Invincible Rolento/Hollywood bug (original issues in the world version, solved 31 years after release)

Unique palettes for each player

Additional palette for each character

????

GameHackFan

Quote from: Anubi 2 on December 24, 2021, 02:16:40 PM
Hey guys you know how to get ffae Known as v0.2 it fixes:

Haggar dynamite scene graphics error

P1/P2 no-dupe character bug

Invincible Rolento/Hollywood bug (original issues in the world version, solved 31 years after release)

Unique palettes for each player

Additional palette for each character

????


Well, if this one is not the CPS2 port that is being made by Grego right now, I've never heard of that version before.

Anubi 2

#179

December 24, 2021, 04:58:22 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: GameHackFan on December 24, 2021, 03:19:15 PM

Well, if this one is not the CPS2 port that is being made by Grego right now, I've never heard of that version before.
The Link is this:https://www.patreon.com/posts/54680489
This concerns the version for cps1
Anyway kudos to your ffae editor: Really very intriguing, I had a lot of fun tweaking positions and adding enemies. Thanks, but if I'm not asking you too much: do you know a way to change colors or palette as they say, about: Guy?