News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

How should I relocalize JP pop culture refs?

Translate them as-is. Even if they only make sense in context.
5 (26.3%)
Replace them with American equivalents.
7 (36.8%)
Case by case. Keep anime quotes as-is, replace song lyrics.
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG: Relocalized (MAJOR UPDATE)  (Read 1394 times)

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
Super Mario RPG: Relocalized (MAJOR UPDATE)
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:14:17 am »
Remember that SMRPG hack that recently came out? The one that tried to "fix" the text? Well, it made like a Pokémon and evolved into this project. So far, I've made a preview vid covering the Bowser fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgEUEq8_jc

This topic will serve not only as a progress report from time to time, but also as a host for polls regarding the project. For example, how should I tackle JP pop culture references? I'm not really that busy, so go ahead and give me your opinions on such matters.

Also worth noting is that I'm slightly burnt out from SMRPG, so progress will likely slow down considerably. I won't give up entirely, though. This is too personal for me to just quit.

EDIT: Something broke. I don't know how, but Lazy Shell somehow garbled up a huge chunk of text. Still not giving up, but I have to restart from square one, since the only backup I made was of the original ROM. It'll be a while before I start, though. In the meantime, however, I WILL put out a patch that relocalizes characters, items, locations, etc., since I can do that quickly enough, unlike the actual dialogue itself. So.......yeah. Big oof.

Progress Report
Dialogue
Bowser's Keep - COMPLETED
Mushroom Way - COMPLETED
Mushroom Kingdom - IN PROGRESS

Name Changes       (NOTE: Will not be present in "Purist" Edition)
Characters
Toadstool - Peach
Geno - Xeno

Locations
Mushroom Way - Mushroad
Mushroom Kingdom - Mushroom Castle
Bandit's Way - Thief Road
Kero Sewers - UNDECIDED    (I like the name "Croakstool Canal," but it might be too long)
Midas River - Wine River
Tadpole Pond - Ribbit Lake
Rose Way - Croase       (Get it? Croak + Rose?)
Moleville - Ducati
Yo'ster Isle - Yoshi's Isle
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 12:52:43 pm by CoolCatBomberMan »

MaruMaru

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario RPG: Relocalized (MAJOR UPDATE)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 04:02:40 pm »
Are you sure you can handle this kind of project? When someone gave a bad review for your hack, you asked the Newcomer's Board how to have the hack removed. Then you made this thread, opting to rebrand the hack, but now suddenly, what progress you made was undone by some kind of bug? And now, the submission queue shows a non-compliant flag for your hack, submitted by yourself, which just so happens to be one of the suggestions you got on the Newcomer's Board.

There's no shame in admitting you're biting off more than you can chew, you know. But claiming you're working on it while actively trying to erase it entirely just tells me that you're secretly giving up the project and leaving any interested people hanging. Not cool, man.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:21:33 pm »
Are you sure you can handle this kind of project? When someone gave a bad review for your hack, you asked the Newcomer's Board how to have the hack removed. Then you made this thread, opting to rebrand the hack, but now suddenly, what progress you made was undone by some kind of bug? And now, the submission queue shows a non-compliant flag for your hack, submitted by yourself, which just so happens to be one of the suggestions you got on the Newcomer's Board.

There's no shame in admitting you're biting off more than you can chew, you know. But claiming you're working on it while actively trying to erase it entirely just tells me that you're secretly giving up the project and leaving any interested people hanging. Not cool, man.
While I understand that it's a bad idea to give in to bullying as it encourages more of the same, bullying someone who does give in is rather hypocritical, no?

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:58:41 pm »
EDIT: Something broke. I don't know how, but Lazy Shell somehow garbled up a huge chunk of text. Still not giving up, but I have to restart from square one, since the only backup I made was of the original ROM. It'll be a while before I start, though. In the meantime, however, I WILL put out a patch that relocalizes characters, items, locations, etc., since I can do that quickly enough, unlike the actual dialogue itself. So.......yeah. Big oof.
Can't you just patch a clean ROM with the latest release of your hack, and use that with LazyShell?
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:04:42 pm »
While I understand that it's a bad idea to give in to bullying as it encourages more of the same, bullying someone who does give in is rather hypocritical, no?

I wouldn't call what MaruMaru said bullying - just constructive criticism.

MaruMaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 02:27:05 am »
Can't you just patch a clean ROM with the latest release of your hack, and use that with LazyShell?

After reading the news thread for CoolCat's hack, plus what's written here, I think the idea was to start over from scratch. He mentioned that Boomer's "death scene" wasn't actually censored by Woolsey, just poorly phrased, ruining Boomer's overdramatic attitude. Yaridovich was given a (pretty hammy) Russian accent to more greatly contrast with his Town Elder disguise, and Final Fantasy references were "added for flavor."