11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Started by akualung, November 04, 2018, 02:37:44 PM
Quote from: aqualung on November 04, 2018, 02:37:44 PMI've been reading about Wanderbar, but there's something I still don't get. Using this tool, would it possible to configure it for automatically detect when text is showing on the game's screen and reflect it on the navigator browser part of the app? Or you have to create a specific Lua script for every game and manually find the pointers to the text strings almost the same as if you were going to do a "standard" fantranslation? In it's the latter, do you need to know assembler and/or use another tool to do that?
Quote from: Tomato on November 04, 2018, 09:06:12 PMBoth ways are possible, but the process I designed it for is closer to your second idea. Your first idea is closer to the "text hooker" stuff already found in emulators like FCEUX.My default translation plugins that come with the Wanderbar basically work like this:Find when the game decides which line ID is about to be displayedTake the line ID and display the equivalent desired line in the sidebarPart 1 isn't too hard if you use a nice debugger like bsnes-plus. Part 2 is simple, and you can see how it works using some of the default plugins. It takes only a few lines of code.Since you're wanting to display translated text, you'll of course need to dump the game's text beforehand in some way. This is pretty much the same process as any ROM translation. The idea is that you'll put each translated line into the sidebar's HTML, with each line getting its own <div>. So when the emulator loads a line of text, let's say Line 378 for example, your plugin will take that 378 and then display your line 378 <div>.I realize I still need to write documentation and such, but if you need help with a specific game I can offer some help.
Quote from: Tomato on November 05, 2018, 08:35:29 PMI was thinking things over this morning and realized you technically don't HAVE to dump scripts the ROM hacking way if you don't want to/can't. Once you find where in a game it loads a line ID, you can just play through the game, translate each line you see, and put each translation into its own labelled <div>. Sure, it probably means a bunch of text might go missing, but it does simplify things a bit.Plus, if you know where a line ID gets loaded, you can always create a cheat code or a temporary plugin that will change the line ID to whatever you want right before the line is loaded. Then you could just go through each line one by one manually. It'd be tedious but would still work just as well.I took a look a Jungle Wars 2 and it's definitely kind of a mess to pull apart but not too bad. The main problem was that the game has strings and substrings, which makes it hard to locate a proper line ID. But I used a workaround to whip up a basic translation sidebar using my method two paragraphs above.The plugin is here: https://legendsoflocalization.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Jungle-Wars-2.zip It only has a few strings translated for test purposes. Doing a proper text dump would of course be a better approach but this was mostly a fun little test to see if this would even work
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.