News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta on page 2!]  (Read 2739 times)

eskayelle

• View Profile
NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition [Beta on page 2!]
« on: March 03, 2019, 03:16:54 pm »
Hi, guys.  Figured I'd try to start up a bit of a hype train if I can.  I'm about 3 months away from releasing my last installment in my Double Z Mod trilogy, this one being a roster update (and a bit more...) to take us into the start of the 2019-20 NBA season.  The romhack's about 95% complete with the remaining big to-dos being re-sorting the team order for how this season's standings play out, and doing one last roster/team swap once the free agency deadline hits (I don't have Anthony Davis on a team just yet, since who knows where he'll end up, though I do have him on the All-Star team).

In any event, here are some teaser screens.  Feel free to chime in regarding your thoughts.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Thanks to all of you for reading, and especially those of you who have tried out my Double Z Mod and 2K17 Overtime Edition mods!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:12:39 am by eskayelle »

Dade556

• View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 - Tournament Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »
I'm super excited for this! :thumbsup:

Heat fan here! D.Wade and Whiteside? 

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:04:38 pm »
Yessir!  With Wade retiring, he'll be a special guest when you unlock the expanded roster.  He's also sitting as a selection on the All-Star team.  Same for Nowitzki (for any Mavs fans wondering).

OrangeFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:34:39 pm »
Really looking forward to this one!!!  ;D

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 01:01:47 pm »
Thanks again for the support!  I myself can't wait till all them roster changes calm down this summer!

(v1.95.51 - Rosters currently updated through March 1 = appx. 110 current players accounted for.)

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 03:54:28 pm »
Closing in on completion of the hack.  Big credits to Wake and phonymike for helping me insert the new logo! :beer:

New intro for the game here.

Next big tasks:
1) Update team order for 2018-19 standings and playoffs/finals.
2) Update rosters one last time for free agent deadline.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:32:03 am »
v1.95.53 forum update 1:
Dropping off an example of a secret player who might be fun to try...

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 03:51:45 pm »
v1.95.54.1 update:

With the playoffs started, here's the order of play for the teams that didn't quite make the field of 16...

Download 25MB .AVI video here!

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 04:48:23 pm »
With the conferences semifinals coming to a close, figured I'd drop some screens from v1.95.54.2.

Can a get a "BOOMSHAKALAKA!"?

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 12:22:44 pm »
v1.95.54.5: R.I.P. Milwaukee.

Last big edits should be roster changes for the July free agency.  Otherwise down to fairly minor stuff.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 11:23:14 am »
Where are the raptors?

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 12:39:52 pm »
Hey, pleasejust.  The Eastern Conference Champs are right here!

The original game was developed before the expansion teams came into play (it's NBA Hang Time that had the original Raptors), so this romhack plays a bit to the confines of the ROM.  Leonard, Lowry, and Gasol are sitting pretty on an Expansions team, with a fun sound byte acknowledging the limitation, and what I hope is a decent logo mashup (there are also constraints to number of colors and symmetry of palettes for left vs. right half of the logo). 

All 30 teams (plus the 2018-19 NBA All-Stars) are effectively represented.

I'm probably not going to put Drake in -- he's gotten enough publicity...  ;)

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 03:16:26 pm »
There's no way to make the text of the cities smaller and add more? or make the list scrollable? Seeing Toronto as others is... not good to say the least. Good try though. Thanks.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 07:08:00 pm »
Welp... I'll compromise and give you Drake.  :beer:

I had actually pondered something along the lines of your suggestion maybe 6 months ago or so.  I don't think it's necessarily that simple. 

For one, while you may be able to reduce the size of all of the team names to allow the addition of more names, there may be more coding required to not only adjust the cursor size but also its movement. To do any of this, you need to decompress the Team Select screen, edit it (watching for any potentially shared tiles among teams), and then fit it into expanded ROM and point back to it versus the original compressed screen.

To illustrate, here's what I was working with just trying to update Seattle and New Jersey. 

This also presumes all of the new teams can be selected.  There are several areas in the ROM that consider that there are only 27 teams that are played against and only 29 playable teams (2 of which are swapped out... Rookies versus All-Stars... depending on if the 27 teams have been defeated or if a secret code has been entered).

Given the above, one viable fix to ensure all teams are represented is to combine them in some manner.  In my case, to allow the player to use the 2018-19 All-Stars as a team upon defeating the 27 teams (campaign mode), I needed to triple up the expansion teams.  But... I can't refer to them on the scoreboard as Expansions because the tile width can only be as large as it would for the word "Rookies".  Same for the Team Select screen.  "Rookies" and "Raptors" are both 7 letters, but "Rookies" will be smaller because of the width of the letter I, so for best fit, I need a term with 6 letters or less.  And... Memphis and NOLA are still in the mix, so a group term is merited.

Hence... "Others".  Now, on the Last Played screen, I can fit "Expansions", so I went this route.

I also made it a point to do the logo matchup to recognize each team and give them their due.

Now, the Champs do deserve their own slot, but I think you'll still enjoy playing with the likes of Leonard, Lowry, and Gasol.  Plus, I've got Linsanity in the mix for fun and now have the team's ambassador available.  Definitely consider giving it a shot when it comes out.  You may still get a kick out of it and find it a good play.  If you want to see something along similar lines, maybe take a look at either EMiller's 2K17 mod, or my Overtime version of it.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »
NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.59 update:
And so begins the free agency feeding frenzy.  With the Nets looking to free up cap space for Kyrie, this update accounts for last night's anticipated Allen Crabbe/Taurean Prince trade.

Where will Anthony Davis land?  Kevin Durant?  Will the Pelicans indeed pick up Zion as their #1 pick (he's already in the game, per the v1.95.56 update)?

Stay tuned.

P.S... Pascal Siakam!

NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.59.60 update:

So the 5th slot (selections 13-20) on the team rosters is my wildcard. You either get no teammate, a current teammate, or a prior star. So the Clippers get back Griffin and the Cavs James... cuz they need him.

And they get dirty player Dellavedova, in case my five slots move down to four with the free agency frenzy coming. Need some backup players in expanded ROM in case some teams lose some agents.

I'm pondering replacing Miner on the Heat with James as well.  That way, the 5 slot eventually gets you that sweet Wade/James combo.  And I'd be able to use Miner's player value to swap in another 2019-20 player.  We'll see...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:16:23 am by eskayelle »

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 08:04:19 pm »
Congrats to the World Champion Toronto Raptors!

The NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.63 update (in process) will put "We the North"-esque uniforms and a red/black court on the Expansions team.

For now, here's a v1.95.62 update, which includes minor updates/fixes and the addition of Evan Fournier.  At this point, there are at least 165 players available to use, with more than 125 of them from the 2018-19 season.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 08:29:18 pm »
Great mod man. Maybe add a bonus level, if you win the season as the Raptors the game switches to a street fighter match on the court with Masai Ujiri VS County Sheriff. Have what it takes for Masai Ujiri to win against the racist Sheriff trying to Card him after the game? You decide!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:36:55 pm by teahouser »

Dzumeister

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 09:04:44 pm »
I'm so glad you're working on this! Big fan of the 2K17 Overtime Mod you put out a while back. I was hoping there was going to be a more elegant way of including the Raptors this time around, but definitely grateful for the time you're investing into this.

That Linsanity! teaser is pretty cool, but is Jeremy going to get his stats rebalanced this time around? He's kind of terrible in 2K17.
do you pronounce snes as ess-en-ee-ess or sssness?

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 09:52:09 pm »
Thanks for the support, teahouser and Dzumeister!

With the Davis trade penciled in per ESPN, the v1.95.64 update for 2K20 has Ball on the Pelicans and Davis in L.A...., with some room for Kuzma now.

Yeah... the Raptors fix was one of the better options, keeping in mind this is a romhack of an early/mid 1990s SNES game.  I tried to compensate with the additional players and the uniforms/court.  It'll still be a good play.

I did add a little oomph to Jeremy Lin, since I made him a secret player.  Nothing too OP, though.

P.S.  Thanks for the review on the 2K17 mod, Dzumeister.  My goal was to keep that one nearly true to EMiller's original mod and really just work with the logos and team names/sounds... and recast some secret players for fun (basically take it to completion as a proof in concept for 2K20).  I did find and fix that "SMART PLAY" / "CMART PLAY" typo you had found. It's addressed in this guy.

Cheers!  :beer:

June 18, 2019, 11:05:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hopefully, this update doesn't get lost in the chain, but I've now published an open beta.  Please check out the NLSC site, grab a copy, and sound off on what you think!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:03:52 am by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 04:30:15 pm »
Congrats to the World Champion Toronto Raptors!

The NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.63 update (in process) will put "We the North"-esque uniforms and a red/black court on the Expansions team.

For now, here's a v1.95.62 update, which includes minor updates/fixes and the addition of Evan Fournier.  At this point, there are at least 165 players available to use, with more than 125 of them from the 2018-19 season.

Will you have "We The North" sideline boards?

I think the weirdest part about playing NBA Jam is the jersey colors being off. Does that have to do with the limitations of the ROM size, or is that something that can be addressed?

I've been using this boxart for my SNES Classic. If I can find a 2K20 logo, we can update this for this mod! Hopefully the patch will be compatible for the emulator.  :thumbsup:
do you pronounce snes as ess-en-ee-ess or sssness?