News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF9 on the Nintendo Switch  (Read 2534 times)

SC

• View Profile
FF9 on the Nintendo Switch
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:32:58 pm »
Have you tried it yet?
If so, how is it? Does it look good in portable mode? Is it bugged somehow?
I heard the Windows port had FX sounds wrong in battle or something, is it the same in the Switch?

I'm a bit tempted to get it albeit the price is also a bit high (20,99, digital only) ...

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: FF9 on the Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 02:48:12 am »
Have you tried it yet?
If so, how is it? Does it look good in portable mode? Is it bugged somehow?
I heard the Windows port had FX sounds wrong in battle or something, is it the same in the Switch?

I'm a bit tempted to get it albeit the price is also a bit high (20,99, digital only) ...
Didn't know there was a Switch port, but there was definitely no Windows port, FF7 and FF8 had windows port and both were mediocre when it comes to sound, FF8 being hironically worse than FF7 in that regard.

How hard is it to emulate the original and run it in one of the portable devices you have (be it the switch or anything else) ?

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:38:31 am »
FF9 was released on Steam some years ago, but it was fairly recently. From what I am told, the Steam port isn't really all that good, and the Switch port is the Steam port.

Dunno how much of this is true or not, so take from it what you will.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:15:23 pm »
Gee. Is there a fanmade fix for the PC version yet?

I agree, the FFIX overworld music is lovely.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 12:12:52 pm »
Well having never played the original, I'm enjoying it so far.  The only issue I've noticed is the battle sound effects.  Most of it is fine, but the sound when Freya's Jump strikes is especially strident. Everything else seems fine.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:45 am »
Is the verdict similar on the PS4 version?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:28:42 am »
Is the verdict similar on the PS4 version?
Every FF port to another system in this generation from Square has roots in either PC or mobile.  They don't really care enough to fix bugs other than device crashes these days, as most are years old.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:45:34 pm »
Every FF port to another system in this generation from Square has roots in either PC or mobile.  They don't really care enough to fix bugs other than device crashes these days, as most are years old.

Trash them all then! :banghead:  :'(

At least the modding community will eventually fix most (if not all) issues in the PC edition.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 03:21:47 pm »
Didn't know there was a Switch port, but there was definitely no Windows port, FF7 and FF8 had windows port and both were mediocre when it comes to sound, FF8 being hironically worse than FF7 in that regard.  :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:
They all do now on Steam, though IIRC FF9 is more of an emulation shell due to not having a PC port beforehand.  And unlike the others they never fixed any original game bugs.  You'd think they would take five minutes to fix Thunder Slash since they did similar to FFV's mobile version, but it can be haced/modded either way.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 07:46:02 pm »
I have no interest in the Switch...
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 09:42:04 am »
FF7 and FF8 had windows port and both were mediocre when it comes to sound, FF8 being hironically worse than FF7 in that regard.
Eh? FF7 came with fancy support for the AWE64 and a Yamaha soft synth.  Whatever else might be said about it, I've never heard any particular complains about it sounding bad.  People found other things to complain about FF8.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!