News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Issue w/ patching mobile games  (Read 448 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Issue w/ patching mobile games
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:35:26 am »
I am seeking to commission for a patch to de-censor certain characters' images in this mobile game called Food Fantasy.

So far, two people already have asked me to provide the source files or source code for the characters in question, before they can get to work.  Obviously, since I didn't create the game, I wouldn't have access to the source code, and I seem to recall someone explaining to me that ROMhacking does not involve accessing the original source code at all, only the form the code takes in hexadecimal.

Is there some kind of difference I'm missing, between creating hacks for ROMs and creating patches for mobile games?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Issue w/ patching mobile games
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:55:16 am »
I seem to recall someone explaining to me that ROMhacking does not involve accessing the original source code at all, only the form the code takes in hexadecimal

:o

You've been a member of this site since 2007, and only NOW you realise that we don't hack with source code? I mean... huh? :huh:

If we had source code, it wouldn't really be hacking, would it? It would be making a branch or a fork or an alternate version or something.

Anyway, I don't know about mobile games. I just wanted to comment because you surprised me. :)

EDIT: don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticise you. I just thought that since you've been around this fine group of people for a while, you might try to do some hacking yourself, instead of paying others to do it? :) If you can figure out how to access the graphical elements inside an APK or whatever (assuming it's an Android game), you might have a chance, but given that I've never even heard of anyone trying to hack a modern phone game, I would say your chances are slim.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:17:52 am by Psyklax »

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:08:10 am »
No, I do remember being told that ROMhacking does not involve the source code.

It's two other people who came to me, who have asked me for the source files.  I was expecting that whoever applied for the position I'm currently hosting on Upwork and Freelancer would already know how to hack ROMs, but I suppose I should have anticipated beforehand that not everyone who creates patches knows how to ROMhack.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:13 pm »
I doubt many people on Freelancer or Upwork know much about ROM hacking. They're probably assuming your request is made as the creator of a mobile game.

I haven't done anything with mobile games, but I know people have figured out how to extract the assets from them, so there might be a way to replace them without too much effort. You might need to redo things after any updates, and you might have to worry about validation checks.
Mauron wuz here.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 03:02:14 pm »
Well, I recently managed to convert the .apk file into a .zip file, and seem to have found where everything is that comprises the game.  The path I'm looking at is:

assets -> publish -> conf -> en-us -> card

However, when I try to open one of the .zip files that I found there, a message pops up saying "The archive format is either in unknown format or damaged."

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, but if that sounds familiar to anyone here, is there a program you might suggest I try out?