News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Bomberman Help  (Read 975 times)

GodNeptune

• View Profile
Bomberman Help
« on: March 02, 2019, 01:35:40 pm »
So, I am nearly finished with my Bomberman hack for Famicom, and I am having trouble figuring a few things out.

One of the big ones is having Bomberman start with a fire level of 2 when starting off. I already read up on how to change the powerups you find in the first two levels at least.

The second is that for some reason, for background tiles for the items, I cannot change the first colour (green). I have the same issue with the door too, which became a telepad. However for the colour of background tiles for the room, I was able to change it.

This will be my first released ROMhack ever after all.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Bomberman Help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:11:04 pm »
Your fire level is $0073 in ram. Value is #10 by default, increases by #10 after bonus pickup. You could easily find it by comparing ram from 2 saves, before and after picking up bonus.

32 bytes for palette are located starting from 0x2EF in rom file. If you set a breakpoint to a palette ppu address, you could find them as well.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Bomberman Help
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:38:39 am »
I'll help you out a little more: by setting a breakpoint to $73 when starting a game, you can find an instruction at $C3C7 ($3D7 in ROM) that loads $10 into the accumulator before writing it to $73.

So, just change $3D8 to whatever number you want and bingo, there's your starting fire value.

Furthermore, when you collect a fire icon, the game (at $CF1A, $F2A in ROM) checks your current fire count to see if it's reached $50 (the maximum), and adds $10 if not. So by messing with that routine, you could either add two powerups each time, or remove the check, allowing you to get crazy big flames. :D

By the way, I think bomb powerups are stored at $74 - I'll let you figure those out. ;)