News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Translation Released  (Read 3496 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Tom

A Japanese to American English translation patch has been released for a Game Gear RPG called Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible. The project was a collaboration between Supper (the hacker) and Tom (the translator).

The game, a remake, expands on the contents of the original version (which was released for the Gameboy and Gameboy Color). The Game Gear version has a more fleshed-out story, revised events, and two different endings.

The hack adds a variable width font and small pauses at punctuation. (For those who prefer not to have pausing at punctuation, it is possible to disable this feature through an in-game menu.)

The patch is available in both .bps and .ips format. The patch is not compatible with Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special on the Game Gear or the Gameboy and Gameboy Color versions of the game.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

saldite

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:05:39 am »
Oh, neat! Good work guys! I remember trying to play through the first one in preparation for the LB3 patch, but couldn't push my way through it and dropped out. Maybe I'll give this one a shot since I remember Tom mentioning there were neat changes in this version.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:40:15 am »
Highly recommend this game, guys!  :thumbsup:

Kudos to Tom and Supper, especially because this work was done so awesomely fast for the quality on that  :)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:33:44 pm »
Unfortunately, I checked out some footage of the patch and it seems that the version of the game that the hacker based the patch on was an earlier version of the translated rom. He will have to create an update for the patch.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:04:24 pm »
Unfortunately, I checked out some footage of the patch and it seems that the version of the game that the hacker based the patch on was an earlier version of the translated rom. He will have to create an update for the patch.

Sorry, my bad. Always use proper version control, kids! The update is literally a one-letter change, so don't sweat it if you're already playing the old version.

And, uh, it's kind of awkward now, but this was a really fun project for me to work on and I hope you all enjoy it -- it's definitely the most complex and polished hack I've put together for the Game Gear. I'd never actually played a Megami Tensei game before this, so it was a good excuse to try out something new. (Though I'm told it's probably not the best introduction to the series...)

Thanks to Tom for putting a ton of work into this to make sure it was as good as it could be. Hope my hacking lives up to your translation.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:16:38 pm »
Thanks for your help, Supper. Your hacking was perfect. It's my own fault for revising the script so much. Things were bound to get lost in the shuffle between all of my fumbling around with the script.

I'm also sorry that you had a poor introduction to the Megami Tensei series, but I'm glad you had a good experience working on the hacking in spite of it.

I submitted the version two patch. Hope it gets released soon.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:47:26 pm by Tom »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:32 pm »
You guys really rock!  :thumbsup:

davidvinc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »
Is this a remake of "Revelations: the Demon Slayer" for the GBC? Or different SMT game?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 04:48:23 pm »
Is this a remake of "Revelations: the Demon Slayer" for the GBC? Or different SMT game?

It's a bit complicated. The original version of Last Bible came out for the Game Boy in 1992; that version was never released outside Japan. In 1999, with Pokemon flying off the shelves and portable games involving recruitable monsters suddenly a very attractive sell, the Game Boy version was ported, with some changes, to the Game Boy Color. That version is the one that was released internationally as "Revelations".

This Game Gear version dates from 1994, long before the GBC port, so it's based on the original Game Boy version and doesn't have the changes from the later version. It also adds several enhancements and twists of its own.

The main changes that were made in Revelations compared to the Game Boy/Game Gear versions are:
* Obviously, it's in color, albeit very blocky and splashed-on compared to this version.
* The GBC version is much easier. All enemies give out 1.5x more EXP and money, and a few pieces of equipment have better stats.
* Most overworld sprites were redrawn in a more cartoonish style, I guess to try to draw in the Pokemon crowd.
* The Game Boy version had a "pathfinding" feature similar to the Lunar games that would push you along walls if you walked into them. The implementation was really bad and it frequently pushed you in the wrong direction, so it was removed entirely in the GBC version.

The major changes in the Game Gear version compared to the original are:
* There's a dash button.
* The pathfinding was fixed to actually work as intended.
* Various enhancements to the script, including two new endings very different from the original.
* Lots of art improvements; aside from being in proper color, all the monster graphics were totally redrawn with different, more detailed designs.
* As a consequence of the larger monster graphics, the Game Gear version can only fit two enemy types on screen at once, so the three-enemy formations that occasionally showed up in the Game Boy version were dropped.
* Various music changes. Some tracks were rewritten, while others are the same but used in different places from the original.
* Also, the GB/GBC versions will shut off random encounters after you beat a dungeon, but this one won't. Protip: Always carry a Sylph Wing unless you want to hike back out through all the enemies you fought coming in.

Basically, if you've played Revelations, this version is going to be harder and better-looking. And have an intelligible script, unlike whatever the hell happened with the official translation.

davidvinc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:10 pm »
Thank you for the well thought out and thorough reply!

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 03:16:12 pm »
This version of Last Bible is certainly an improvement in many ways, but it’s missing the nostalgic music from the Game Boy.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 05:34:48 am »
I know that different hardware had a different signature sound. It's possible that since they couldn't replicate the Gameboy's sound, they created new songs with the Game Gear in mind. That said, some of the music from the Gameboy is still in the game. Of course, now I've played the Game Gear version so much that its music feels nostalgic too!

tbpbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 03:34:19 am »
Does not work in my gamegear everdrive :(.
Can you fix this ?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 02:45:56 am »
Does not work in my gamegear everdrive :(.
Can you fix this ?

I'm happy to help, but what is the problem? Does the game freeze somewhere, or does it not start at all? I don't have a flash cart, so I can't test on hardware myself.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you patched "Last Bible", not "Last Bible Special". They're completely different games.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:54:04 am by Supper »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 01:59:47 pm »
Expecting some people will patch the wrong game is the sole reason I released my Momotarou Densetsu patch as a custom patcher. :(
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 02:40:36 pm »
Custom patcher = virus warning from literally all AV's, no thanks. Just leave clear instruction on what to patch ie, No-intro Name, CRC=XXXXXX, No Header, etc.

tbpbird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 12:23:03 am »
I'm happy to help, but what is the problem? Does the game freeze somewhere, or does it not start at all? I don't have a flash cart, so I can't test on hardware myself.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you patched "Last Bible", not "Last Bible Special". They're completely different games.

I know i patched the right game because in my GG emulator it works fine, but once i use it VIA the everdrive, all the text are nont displaying well.

is there a way i could send you a picture to show you ?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:07 am »

I know i patched the right game because in my GG emulator it works fine, but once i use it VIA the everdrive, all the text are nont displaying well.

is there a way i could send you a picture to show you ?

Check your PMs!

To anyone else having problems on real hardware: someone else recently reported the same issue on another one of my hacks and I figured out what the problem was. The current version of this patch, and a couple of others I did recently, has a timing issue (writes to the VDP too fast during the active display period) that causes graphical corruption on real hardware. No existing emulator emulates this behavior, so I didn't catch it. The problem should be fixed, so once I've got confirmation that everything works properly now, I'll upload the updated versions of this patch and the other affected ones.

Sorry for the trouble.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 09:02:10 pm »
What are the best GG emulators?
I know MEKA is the most well-known but there's one called Emulicious that I think has been claiming to be a high-accuracy emulator, though I haven't used it.

I have only used MEKA, the 0.80 beta that has been in development a few years.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 03:27:53 am »
What are the best GG emulators?
I know MEKA is the most well-known but there's one called Emulicious that I think has been claiming to be a high-accuracy emulator, though I haven't used it.

I have only used MEKA, the 0.80 beta that has been in development a few years.

I generally use MEKA as well. Its main issues are that it leaks memory (unless that's gotten fixed since I last built it) and that it has this odd problem where it will occasionally corrupt a row of graphics as they're loaded into VRAM, which is harmless but annoying. The debugging features are top-notch, though.

I briefly tried Emulicious while I was working on this and it seemed fine. Probably a solid choice if you can put up with Java. Fusion is Fusion: fast, probably pretty accurate, and too bad if your game doesn't run in it because it's closed-source and development is dead. Don't use higan, since it apparently can't tell which games require SRAM and which don't -- due to not assigning any SRAM to the cartridge, saving won't work in Last Bible, and games like Moldorian that rely on expansion RAM for calculations won't even boot.