News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Secret of Mana: Relocalized With 100% More Chainsaw!  (Read 8253 times)

Timbo

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Secret of Mana: Relocalized With 100% More Chainsaw!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 04:52:44 pm »
I think you forgot to credits the guys who did the original boss hack.

I would hardly believe the boss hack have been done from scratch when I send you our modifications for analyzing (not to mention the hack is not just a paste of data, it require a complete analyze of the boss IA and implementation of this IA in the western version) and you said at that time that the guy was analyzing the modifications with a debugger (copy-pasting is a bit different from doing a whole hack).

Same for the intro hack. At first, you credited it but the credit has dissapeared (it still in the readme but it's credited with my nickname, when the real credit should goes to BahaBulle).

BahaBulle is the one who made the intro hack, as well as the boss hack implementation (and in the boss hack, I did all the debugging of the IA with the explanations he gave me)

I just saw this credit on the page:

Which doesn't really make sense as he only worked on the intro. Other texts of my hack were done by another guy and you didn't use any of my other texts.

Regarding BahaBulle's credit for the intro hack. You didn't get back to me before I submitted v1.4 . I'll fix it in the next update. Regarding the boss hack, you're wrong, if you look at the code, it's different. If you play the boss fight, you'll see that it's also got some major differences. Queue debugged the Japanese Rom himself and I believe he used documentation that I think may have been created by Regrs. Bahabulle's hack doesn't animate the drill correctly and doesn't include the ability to push Death Machine around. I can't remember exactly what he said but it wasn't clean enough to use.

Queue had the hack halfway complete before I even knew he existed.

February 14, 2019, 04:56:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is seriously odd. Your combo IPS works perfectly but when I do it manually it just won't. If I do your list manually it works but mine won't. I'm sure i'm not missing anything or forgetting to remove or add headers when necessary O_O

But thanks to you it works like a charm. This will likely be the version I use to Let's Play so thank you so much and i'll likely give you a shout out or mention you in the first episode description when I give my list of hacks <3
If you are going to do a let's play. Wait until I get v1.5 out. I'll have it out in a couple days and I can get you an advance copy if you need it.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 01:35:55 am »
Damn! My fully functional stack of hacks! :(
It's fine man, Secret of Mana is at least a month off so you'll have time for even a 1.5 if necessary. I'll just need to figure it all out again or beg darthvaderx again if I can't get it working for random unknown reasons haha. I absolutely want to get your equipment overall hack in there though. That is purely amazing work and doesn't need to cut items out (which as a completionist hurts my feels) lol

johnLight

• video games dud....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 09:09:37 am »
It is not included in the file that I made available, but just apply the MSU-1 patch before.
It will work perfectly.

Thanks for the information !   :woot!:

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 08:35:01 pm »
BIG UPDATE !!!

Personally, in computing always happens very funny things, sometimes such a procedure does not work out well and suddenly the thing works totally without any explanation, because I'll explain what just happened now:

I am also part of the Zeldix forum because I am very interested in the MSU-1 and I reported a problem of the Super Mario All-Stars hack, which was to always play stage music instead of the final theme of SMB3.
They answered me and tried to find the bug, they released a new version of the patch to correct it but it continued the error for me.
I reported again, I sent a savestate and this time they announced that they had solved the problem, they released a new patch, downloaded it and again it had not changed anything for me. They were terrified and did not know what happened.
Until a short time later the author informed me that my browser could be downloading the old version and that it had already happened with him, asked to check the .ips date in the zip and it was confirmed that it was an old version, it was simply just delete the Firefox browser history.
I deleted the browser history, I downloaded it and it was verified that the patch was the current one, I applied it in rom and now the game is working normally. Then I kept thinking that if this happened this time, it could have happened several times with other files.
Now comes the funniest part, after that all I decided to do the download again of all the SoM hacks that I showed in my list and apply in the rom but excluding the 'VWF Edition' and 'Proper-case' hacks.
And you know what happened? The game is working perfectly too, something that was not happening before. Then from that list you can remove the redundant items you mentioned, just keep the order of the patches because if they are applied after the Relocalization will give infinite looping in the presentation, OK?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:52:22 pm by darthvaderx »

Time/SpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 02:41:07 am »
Oh wow, I'm gonna try this out when I get the time  :beer: Seem to recall Kettle Kin being a super annoying boss fight!

Sarah Shinespark

• Modder for Arcana Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 09:04:17 pm »
After getting the Bronze Spear from Luka, she says it will "regain it's power" like the Mana Sword. That should be "its power"  :woot!:
Pamaela's granddad has a missing pause between his first and second text boxes. ("Grandma has grown senile...")
Cannon Stan by Gaia's Navel still calls it the Water Palace.
When being invited to the Emperor's castle, Krissie says they just received "and invitation".
Geshtar says "I will take you all down to the Hades with me"  :laugh:
The FF7 reference  :laugh: :laugh:

First time with VWF, and wow it's really nice on the eyes!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:02:25 pm by Sarah Shinespark »

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 07:14:15 pm »
After getting the Bronze Spear from Luka, she says it will "regain it's power" like the Mana Sword. That should be "its power"  :woot!:
Pamaela's granddad has a missing pause between his first and second text boxes. ("Grandma has grown senile...")
Cannon Stan by Gaia's Navel still calls it the Water Palace.
When being invited to the Emperor's castle, Krissie says they just received "and invitation".
Geshtar says "I will take you all down to the Hades with me"  :laugh:
The FF7 reference  :laugh: :laugh:

First time with VWF, and wow it's really nice on the eyes!

Apparently, alot of the original typos still have yet to be corrected. Keep 'em coming.

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 08:26:31 pm »
Will do, boss  ;D

Oh, right!
"Hero: The village is this way. I have to find something to cut through!"

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 03:41:16 pm »
I see v1.5 is out. Cool.

Changed "Shrunk" status to "Miniaturized"
Some changes like this one look like change for the sake of change, honestly. But hey, it's your patch.
Some other changes are less debatable, though (like getting rid of frostied or engulf).

Corrected typo "regain it's power"
(...)
Changed Burst's icon from red to green to match it's graphics.
Kind of ironic. :p

I'm done teasing. Thanks for your work.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 03:53:33 pm »
I see v1.5 is out. Cool.
Some changes like this one look like change for the sake of change, honestly. But hey, it's your patch.
Some other changes are less debatable, though (like getting rid of frostied or engulf).

The English version uses "shrunk" instead of Chibiko, which is an offensive word with a meaning similar to midget. Since shrunk is not a 1 for 1 translation, I changed it to "miniaturized" which both past participle and past tense.

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2019, 03:58:54 pm »
The English version uses "shrunk" instead of Chibiko, which is an offensive word with a meaning similar to midget. Since shrunk is not a 1 for 1 translation, I changed it to "miniaturized" which both past participle and past tense.
I see. But I think translating is not just about preserving the original literal meaning, but also about finding natural enough words that roll off the tongue (especially since status changes are common), even if that may come at the cost of losing a bit of the original meaning. Maybe "dwarfed" would be an acceptable substitute? "Midgeted" or "midgetized" don't sound quite right, I guess.

Anyway, no big deal.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 04:03:55 pm »
I see. But I think translating is not just about preserving the original literal meaning, but also about finding natural enough words that roll off the tongue (especially since status changes are common), even if that may come at the cost of losing a bit of the original meaning. Maybe "dwarfed" would be an acceptable substitute? "Midgeted" or "midgetized" don't sound quite right.

You are describing the process known as localization. I'm a big fan of this process, thus the title of my hack.

I considered "dwarfed" however I decided against it because of the presence actual mythological Dwarves in this game. Just to be clear, I detest the word midget. It's offensive. I used "miniaturized" which I feel is the best way to describe something that has been reduced in size.

The remake uses "pygmized" which is also fairly offensive. "Miniaturized" is an improved version of that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:14:31 pm by Timbo »

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2019, 04:52:27 pm »
I can understand. Miniaturized is fine but a bit of a mouthful compared to shrunk, while still meaning basically the same thing. But from you were saying about past tense, I guess that in the original game, "shrunk" was always used even when it should have been "shrank" sometimes.

Personally, I don't mind "offensive" stuff as long as it's true to the original text and not just bullshit added by the translator to be edgy or sensationalist. In a way, it's some kind of censorship on your part, while you did uncensor other things. So you're following your own philosophy or sensitivity instead of trying to stay as true as possible to the original text. This is totally fine, I'm just saying that.

By the way, the title screen looks much better without the subtitle. Good call.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:53 pm »
I can understand. Miniaturized is fine but a bit of a mouthful compared to shrunk, while still meaning basically the same thing. But from you were saying about past tense, I guess that in the original game, "shrunk" was always used even when it should have been "shrank" sometimes.

Personally, I don't mind "offensive" stuff as long as it's true to the original text and not just bullshit added by the translator to be edgy or sensationalist. In a way, it's some kind of censorship on your part, while you did uncensor other things. So you're following your own philosophy or sensitivity instead of trying to stay as true as possible to the original text. This is totally fine, I'm just saying that.

By the way, the title screen looks much better without the subtitle. Good call.

Thanks mate! It's beautiful. Queue really did a bang up job on it.

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 10:11:06 am »
Reduced, diminished, chibi'd? (Is chibi offensive? I thought -ko was just a feminine ending.)

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 11:41:49 am »
Reduced, diminished, chibi'd? (Is chibi offensive? I thought -ko was just a feminine ending.)

It was my understanding that calling someone chibi is offensive. Chibi means something like adorably short. It's generally okay to call babies, toddlers, animals, or anime and manga character chibi but imagine telling a grown man that he's adorably short or even worse, calling him a pipsqueak.

After a little more research it appears that the chibikko specifically means a cute little toddler. More importantly, the word itself isn't offensive. Chibi's offensiveness is limited to context.

Things named Chibikko:
-Chibikko Status (Miniaturized Status): I went with Miniaturized because it's a better word than shrunk and unlike pygmy and pygmized, it's not offensive. More importantly, the status shrinks you, it doesn't turn you into a toddler.
-Chibikko Hammer (Dwarvish Hammer): I went Dwarvish Hammer Midge Mallet is offensive and Minor Mallet is weird. Dwarves are short both short in stature and you get the item in the Dwarf Village.
-Chibikko Robe (Dwarvish Robe): See above.
-Chibikko Devil (Imp): Imp literally means a small, mischievous devil or sprite. This, is great example of good localization.
-Chibikko Stare (Shrinking Glare): Again, Pygmy and therefore Pygmus is actually offensive.

I stand by all of these localization choices.

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 02:11:40 pm »
Chibi means something like adorably short. It's generally okay to call babies, toddlers, animals, or anime and manga character chibi but imagine telling a grown man that he's adorably short or even worse, calling him a pipsqueak.

Well... The reduced characters do look cute, don't they? Doing little kicks and all.
Our 3 heroes get regularly stabbed, burned, frozen, killed, etc... That's part of their daily routine. In that context, it's funny to imagine them be like "Hey, did you just call me chibi? That's rude!". I wouldn't overthink what is or isn't offensive.

Anyway, your localization seems fine, so whatever.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 04:31:33 pm »
Well... The reduced characters do look cute, don't they? Doing little kicks and all.
Our 3 heroes get regularly stabbed, burned, frozen, killed, etc... That's part of their daily routine. In that context, it's funny to imagine them be like "Hey, did you just call me chibi? That's rude!". I wouldn't overthink what is or isn't offensive.

Anyway, your localization seems fine, so whatever.
Oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm admitting that I was wrong about chibi. It can be used offensively but it's definitely not an offensive word.

So, if I wanted to push towards a more literal translation, we could go with Lil' Devil, Childrens' Robe, and ??? Hammer.

I still feel like my choices are still optimal but I'm always open to persuasion.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 07:49:15 pm »
Oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm admitting that I was wrong about chibi. It can be used offensively but it's definitely not an offensive word.

So, if I wanted to push towards a more literal translation, we could go with Lil' Devil, Childrens' Robe, and ??? Hammer.

I still feel like my choices are still optimal but I'm always open to persuasion.

Here's some ideas I had.

Chibikko Hammer:
- Toy Mallot / Hammer
- Mini Mallot / Hammer

Chibikko Devil:
- Child Devil

Chibikko Robe:
- Short Robe
- Petite Robe

Chibikko Stare:
- Minor Stare / Glare
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

pfraktal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 05:02:25 pm »
Could someone please make one of those single ips's with everything patched together including 1.5 of relocalized? I can't figure it out.