News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [technical] [music] [3DS] Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (How to Hex-Edit???)  (Read 1063 times)

zeldamodder3DS

• View Profile
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I've used this site in the past. Some cool projects...  ;)

I know this site mostly has rom hacks for older systems, but I've done some rom hacking for my 3DS games. I did a hack of Majora's Mask 3D to change nearly all of the music in the game. I'm trying to do the same with Ocarina of Time 3D, but if it's possible, it will be more complicated. I'm looking for help. That's why I'm writing here. I need help with hex-editing.

Here's what I wrote on another forum:

So, I managed to replace most of the music in Majora's Mask 3D. There are [dot]bcstm files that can be replaced. I'm trying to do the same thing with Ocarina of Time. It looks like when Grezzo worked on these.... they modified the [dot]bcsar files. It seems like they changed the code so that the game will play back [dot]bcstm files instead of whatever the original files are. For MM3D, they did this with all the songs. For OOT3D, they only did this for the credits/staff roll.

I'll keep looking at this, but I don't understand much about hex editing. Is anyone interested in helping me with this? It may never work, but I wonder if we can change the OOT3D [dot]bcsar file to be a "dummy" file like the MM3D file.

I've attached images of the files, and what they look like in a hex editor. You can see on the right where the code seems to reference the [dot]bcstm

Link to that page: https://gbatemp.net/threads/change-music-request-oot3d-ocarina-of-time-3d-seriously-trying-to-change-the-music.517740/#post-8505188

Please let me know or take down this page if anything goes against any rules.  :police: