News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for Steam purchases (under certain criteria)  (Read 1237 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
So, I only found out now about a promotion on Steam that will be ending on the 11th, for $5 off from the first $30+ purchase you make, and at the same time, a lot of games are currently being sold at discount price. 

Here is what I'm currently planning to purchase while this is going on:

1) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC: $10 ($10 in savings)
2) Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale: $5 ($15 in savings)
3) Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone: $5 ($15 in savings)

Total so far: $20 ($40 in savings)

Alternately, there is one other game I have in mind, Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, but it costs $30-40 alone at half price.

Doing the math, I can pretty much tell that I would probably spend the same amount in the long run if I were to buy either Revenant Kingdom or the other three games now and save the remaining games for later.  (($20 + $80) or ($40 + $60) = $100)

Still, as long as I'm waiting to hear back about a damaged gift card code that I reported this morning, I guess I might as well seek suggestions anyway (which I'd be glad to add to a certain trope as a bonus).

So, here are the criteria I'm looking for:

1) Must have a variety of food for your player characters to eat.

2) Looking for animesque RPGs. (Not necessarily from Japan; I know of at least two that aren't.)

3) Must have three or more playable characters...

4) ...but not an exact count of ten comprising the main party.  (The total number of PCs can add up to ten when including minor characters, though.)

As for certain games I am NOT looking for:

1) Tokyo Xanadu (Exact PC count of ten.)

2) Disgaea (Already have game 5, expecting 1 for my birthday, and it seems likely enough coming off from 1 that the other games will also get Complete editions down the road.)

3) The Tales series (I would like my characters to eat what they eat individually, not in unison.)

4) Games like Odin Sphere or Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Those games do have multiple PCs, but I would like my characters to be together most of the time.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:05:15 am by McKnight »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Looking for recommendations for Steam purchases
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:30:57 pm »
I don't think you're going to find much help with all this ridiculous criterion going on walled behind a tvtropes page.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
Good point; I just reworded the first criteria right now to something simpler now.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:48:20 pm »
Can't really think of anything budget-friendly. I mean, Trails of Cold Steel might count but it's pretty YMMV as far as people liking it/idk if it has exactly 10 or not in 1 or 2.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:00:03 pm »
Doesn't matter if people like it or not, as long as the game itself is at least playable.

If the following link is anything to go by, it seems that Trails of Cold Steel (which I do have plans for, after Trails in the Sky) has a total of eleven PCs.

https://www.neoseeker.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel/Recipe_List

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:02:45 pm »
Trails in the Sky the 3rd has like fifteen.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 06:43:45 pm »
I'm already set on both of the entire Trails series.  I suppose I should have mentioned that before, but I was trying more or less to vary my games in case I end up not liking Trails in the Sky FC (as had been the case with Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch before).

Anything from outside of the Trails series?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:37:49 am »
This $6 off promotion sure is tempting, but I have So Many Games already, and so many things are just going to turn up in a Humble Bundle or something eventually.  I was looking at Thimbleweed Park right before Epic announced it was going to be their next free game.

Anyway, I have my eye on YIIK, but it was only just released and it's not on sale.

Anachronox is worth a look if you haven't played it already.

Would West of Loathing be of consideration?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Looking for recommendations for Steam purchases (under certain criteria)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:07:17 am »
None of those are animesque, something I already specified in the opening post.  (Just added the parenthesized phrase to the title now, something that I'd say evaded mind as I focused simply on creating the thread.)

February 10, 2019, 12:52:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So far, I have just added Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey to my cart.  Will check out the other games in that series after I've had a chance to play that.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:52:47 pm by McKnight »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for recommendations for Steam purchases (under certain criteria)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:57:27 am »
I'm sure you could have a great deal of difficulty trying to narrow down "animesque".
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!