I hadn't been here for a while, but I went back and checked what new translations were added to the database for the NES and saw quite a few. 7 of them weren't new though, however, they were updates to existing patches.
At first, when I saw this, I thought the information here was just being presented in a better manner for end users, but that's not the case and you wouldn't ever know a lot of patches were ever updated unless somebody changes that field for the "Release Date".
For example (and I don't mean to call you out Psylax, buddy
, but yours is the first example I come across when looking at all NES translations alphabetically!), "Aighina's Prophecy: From The Legend of Balubalouk": http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3102/
Relevant Info: Release Date 29 Jun 2017
Last Modified 13 October 2017
Note in Description: VERSION 1.1 CHANGES
I'm assuming that the Version 1.1 Update was uploaded here slightly before 13 October 2017 and was then approved by the moderator(s) here on that date.
But if you look at ALL Translations for Nintendo Entertainment System, it shows the initial release date of 29 Jun 2017 for that translation. So long story short, the way the data is presented when searching for translations and hacks here, the only way that you would know if a patch you love was updated would be to click on the patch itself every once in a while and see if the author put an update on the page. You would also know if the author changed the Release Date field, but you couldn't just take that for granted.
Perhaps if there could be a separate field in the search tables for "Last Modified" it would be much easier for people to see which patches got updates when searching by date?
Given how the system works here, I thought it was REALLY nice for the patch authors to update that release date field so that these newer versions would show up as "NEW", if you've been paying attention to the last time you were here. But at the same time I feel that in doing so it's kind of de-legitimatizing the actual initial release date of their work, for historical purposes. Patch Updates is should be what the "Last Modified" date is used for, not the "Release Date" field.
And actually, the "Last Modified" date probably is used for quite a bit of other things such as moderator approved edits on information found in these entries, of which I've had many approved over time here. So maybe the "Last Modified" tag isn't the proper place for Patch Upgrades either and there might be a call for an additional field?
I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do here. Seeing that there were 7 recent upgrades, I will eventually be going back through every translation and every hack that I have to make sure mine are all up to date, but I was hoping that after I do this issue could be addressed so in the future it will be easy to tell when patch updates were made after a certain date.
I went through this very process around 1 1/2 years ago after not being here around 10 years and there were something like 50 to 75 patches that I needed to upgrade, along with all the new ones I put together. I doubt that number will be very big at all this time around since it hasn't been a decade or more, but without any good way of seeing this on a quick and easy database that you can sort by date, it means I'm going to be verifying by hand and with my eyeballs over 1,000 patches.
Thanks for reading. I know I can get my thoughts jumbled and maybe I'm not the best at laying out exactly what I'm trying to say, so please do ask what the hell I'm talking about if I wrote it all confusing like.