News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210610  (Read 523235 times)

Mr X

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210212
« Reply #1860 on: February 14, 2021, 02:46:37 am »
hmsong I was thinking that instead of a boss in the Moon Temple maybe have some Empire type enemies as sort of a mini boss, like 3 Ninja's for example or Armored Knights, falls in line also with them being after the seeds.

Would even go as far as replacing the useless 3 bitting lizards boss in Ice Castle, it's a very boring fight, might well face a later enemy like maybe 3 Ninja's/Armored Knights/Ghouls as mini boss.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: February 14, 2021, 05:57:34 am »
hmsong I was thinking that instead of a boss in the Moon Temple maybe have some Empire type enemies as sort of a mini boss, like 3 Ninja's for example or Armored Knights, falls in line also with them being after the seeds.

Would even go as far as replacing the useless 3 bitting lizards boss in Ice Castle, it's a very boring fight, might well face a later enemy like maybe 3 Ninja's/Armored Knights/Ghouls as mini boss.

I can certainly put enemies in Moon Palace, but you'd be able to ignore them, which makes the entire endeavor meaningless.  And I have absolutely no idea how to connect certain map to another.  And I have a feeling that it'd screw up something somewhere, as it'd mess with some events.

Replacing the Biting Lizards in the Ice Palace shouldn't be that hard, but I'm betting it'll affect how you're supposed to be teleported to the other map.  And I'm betting the purpose of Biting Lizards in Ice Palace was to make you waste MP or something -- they keep using multi-healing whenever injured past certain HP... probably to force you to use magic for a massive damage.

@Queue

Damn, I wish I knew how to record video when playing game.  I'm using zsnes, but if you know how to record video using zsnes, please teach me, and I'll upload the video to show the difference between vanilla and Turbo Reborn version when beating the snakes/dark lich bosses.  Different emulators work too, although I'll have to learn how to use those first.

Memorex

• View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: February 14, 2021, 08:56:22 am »
Queue Yeah, sorry my mistake, I mixed it up and thought that the Pandora ruins glitch tweak was already implemented.

Some more: The automated line "Take THIS" spoken by the fake chancellor just before he makes Jema vanish goes by quite fast, in addition
there is also a linebreak so that "Take" and "THIS" ends up quite far from each other in the textbox, making it even harder to catch.

After defeating the Darkstalker(Master Ninja?), you talk to the Chancellor and finally receive a Sword's orb. If you talk to him again he will say the same thing but since you've already gotten the orb, the last textbox is empty and has to be manually closed.

February 14, 2021, 01:49:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
At the Tree Palace, when the Emperor says "While you were strolling around the globe.. ", there is a period missing at the end of the sentence.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 01:49:37 pm by Memorex »

ManaRedux

• View Profile
    • Secret of Mana: Redux
« Reply #1863 on: February 14, 2021, 02:56:48 pm »
At the Tree Palace, when the Emperor says "While you were strolling around the globe.. ", there is a period missing at the end of the sentence.

We couldn't fit one there due to text box constraints.  I'll see if I can adjust the text to fit.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: February 14, 2021, 04:18:55 pm »
hmsong, I don't have any good advice on recording video. It's never anything I have done nor have any desire to set up for.

Anyway, you do have me convinced there's a problem with those bosses. I have looked at the Great Viper before and swear I didn't find a problem, but I must be blind. Any more details you can give would surely be helpful, but I'll be taking a look at it.

Mr X, like hmsong surmised, replacing the Biting Lizards isn't terribly simple. They're bosses, which get to trigger an event when they die, normal enemies do not. Note for the Tasnica boss, you have to talk to the unconscious king to exit the boss fight room, because the Dark Stalker is just a normal enemy, so doesn't trigger an event automatically when it is defeated.

To make something functional to replace the lizard trio, 2 could be turned into normal enemies, and the third into an NPC to check when the 2 are defeated and send you out. For example, it could be a high stepper that only launches you out if the 2 enemies are dead. Or it could be a chest that only opens once they're dead (and warps you out once opened). Or a mini snowman. There are probably other clever thematic options.

Also, you cannot mix bosses and normal enemies.

Memorex, the "Take THIS!" brief timing is actually just like vanilla (though the line breaks aren't as dumb there in vanilla), but I agree that it's bad. I think I've made an adjustment that will make it play out better (and fixed it so "Take THIS!" is on one line together).

I haven't been able to trigger that blank text box, but I did find a different issue with that event where Reborn tries to cram 4 lines in one box, so you don't get much time to read the first three before the 4th line clears the box. So that'll be fixed at least. Will still need to figure out what circumstance causes that empty text box.

For the Tropics, something got messed up with NPC numbering, so the event is issuing animation and movement commands to the wrong NPCs (instead of the bottom scorpion henchman walking downwards, the stove walks downwards). I'll just need to locate which feature is breaking that.

Edit: The Tropicy stove issue was due to Frosty_the_Friendly_Alchemist, and possibly a bug I introduced that wasn't in kethinov's original.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:28:48 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: February 14, 2021, 07:24:45 pm »
@Queue

I was wrong.  I played the vanilla version, and in the snake bosses, there's no white screen nor victory music.  Vanilla Dark Lich battle doesn't have the victory music, but it has the white screen.  So no errors.  My bad.  I have no idea why I didn't realize that vanilla had that error.

Against most bosses, when you defeat one, there's an explosion (red), then a white screen, then you get that the boss dusts + victory fist pumps + music, then recovery.  In the snake bosses, you don't get the white screen nor the dust/pumps/music (you pose when you recover though).

Also, there's an error that I previously posted (but you may not have seen that post) -- when you auto-use Wind Drum after beating Mech Rider 2, there's a graphic glitch error.  Well, most times.

Flammie doesn't pick up Truffle either, but that may be vanilla error.

Say, for my private usage, if I wanted to make things so that all melee weapons would destroy sword-destroyable obstacles, but not axe-destroyable obstacles, how would I change things?  I typically use All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles, but since Reborn specifically says that axe can destroy the boulders (implying some obstacles like boulders are axe-only), I want to make it so that all melee attacks only destroy the sword-obstacles (bush, mana fortress crystal), but not axe-obstacles (boulder, ancient city sand).

@ManaRedux

I tried that final Mana Holyland scene without the Proportional_Font.  But the music still ends slightly early (the final note is very short).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:17:00 pm by hmsong »

ManaRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: February 14, 2021, 09:11:05 pm »
I tried that final Mana Holyland scene without the Proportional_Font.  But the music still ends slightly early (the final note is very short).

That's something else in Turbo that Queue would have to look at. 

I thought I'd share these.  This is a reconstruction of the original path from Pandora to Gaia's Navel:

https://imgur.com/a/WhWQEGH

There's also a more complete reconstruction of another area.  My best guess is near the Water Palace based on prerelease maps:

https://imgur.com/a/SVaqEdd

There's also one of prerelease Gaia's Navel (one of two prerelease concepts of that area I'm aware of).

These were compiled by myself and DragonArk using some of the mounds of prerelease images we've found.  Unfortunately, we can't go any further than this right now.  Hope springs eternal that someday, these areas can be reconstructed and offered as an alternative to whatever replaced them. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:04:57 pm by ManaRedux »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: February 14, 2021, 11:19:24 pm »
@ManaRedux

I'm not about the other areas, but that whip usage area to haunted forest pad seems interesting.  I guess that would imply that the whip you pick up in the Witch's castle belonged to Dyluck (or one of his men).  Maybe.  Then again, it would be strange for Primm to not make any comment about that whip if it had belonged to Dyluck.

ManaRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: February 14, 2021, 11:57:02 pm »
I'm not about the other areas, but that whip usage area to haunted forest pad seems interesting.  I guess that would imply that the whip you pick up in the Witch's castle belonged to Dyluck (or one of his men).  Maybe.  Then again, it would be strange for Primm to not make any comment about that whip if it had belonged to Dyluck.

Based on the world map at that time, I think that originally, you weren't able to simply walk to the transport tile outside the Water Palace, and needed a whip to get there in the first place as it was on an island.  I think it was Queue who noted that at this point in development, the whip mechanic was similar to Final Fantasy Adventure in that the poles were directly across from each other.  Looking at the world map, it seems that you walked west of the Water Palace and south to Gaia's Navel, whereas in the final, the two areas are cut off, and there's a dead end at the cannon travel and transport to the Haunted Forest.  The area on the right in that picture went south to Neko's.

As for the Pandora/Gaia's Navel path, at this point it was still very early, and seems to be a huge open area based on the world map; they were probably prototyping.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: February 15, 2021, 12:49:22 am »
Based on the world map at that time, I think that originally, you weren't able to simply walk to the transport tile outside the Water Palace, and needed a whip to get there in the first place as it was on an island.  I think it was Queue who noted that at this point in development, the whip mechanic was similar to Final Fantasy Adventure in that the poles were directly across from each other.  Looking at the world map, it seems that you walked west of the Water Palace and south to Gaia's Navel, whereas in the final, the two areas are cut off, and there's a dead end at the cannon travel and transport to the Haunted Forest.  The area on the right in that picture went south to Neko's.

As for the Pandora/Gaia's Navel path, at this point it was still very early, and seems to be a huge open area based on the world map; they were probably prototyping.

Ah, I see.  I never played FFAdventure, but I did play Sword of Mana (GBA), which I heard was just FFAdv remake.

In any case, do you plan on making Reborn into the new map?  Personally, I prefer the original SoM map, since there's really no point in making another whip post, and Gaia Naval's zig-zag path is more interesting than a totally open area.

SnesFaust

• View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: February 15, 2021, 01:51:02 am »
Hi @Queue ,

Someone finally took some time to brush up on the forum here and 'about had a heart attack'.

You read my post? ...and even added a "Days of Mana" option to the title Screen?! I cant believe it! Thank you! I cant express my gratitude enough for you and everyone working on/contributing to this project. Playing SOM this way was always a dream of mine (since 1993) and it's so incredible to see it enter reality.

BUG: As far as the "fast Loot" chest bug in Forest of Seasons, i wish i could pinpoint it. A chest would drop from a water thug in 'spring' and the game would seize up. When i would reload, the same mob would drop the same chest again causing the same result. After a re-build with faster looting off, the problem was solved.

This might no be possible but what do you think about changing the weapon charging system to be 0.5 or 0.75sec per each level? It would make using weapon charges more of an intuitive/timed thing. Time the button release correctly and nail the mob with the desired weapon charge effect. Then again, maybe it would be too overpowered?

ManaRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: February 15, 2021, 03:12:37 am »
In any case, do you plan on making Reborn into the new map?  Personally, I prefer the original SoM map, since there's really no point in making another whip post, and Gaia Naval's zig-zag path is more interesting than a totally open area.

The only point in mentioning these is hope that in the future, they may become an alternate option for gameplay, if someone wishes to play these areas as they were in the prerelease.  It has nothing to do with Reborn. 

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210215
« Reply #1872 on: February 15, 2021, 08:18:52 pm »
Version 2021-02-15:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.210215.zip

Changes:
- Updated pre-release Reborn V1.10
- Added Text\Font_-_Ancient; just a goofy experiment, it's not the most usable, and has some outline rendering issues, Off by default
- Added two more fixes to Text\Event_Fixes, both in the Tasnica throne room
- Fixed Quality_of_Life\Frosty_the_Friendly_Alchemist making the stove run south
- Minor code cleanup for Audio\Async_Music_Crossfade, also made staircase footstep sound not cause music load hitching

Memorex, I never managed to reproduce that blank text box in the Tasnica throne room, but did get some other event bugs there resolved (one specific to Reborn, and others that affected all translation variants).

hmsong, no sweat on the boss thing. I don't know why those are different than other bosses, and it's not like they couldn't be changed, but that's outside the scope of Reborn, and I've never gotten around to making a Turbo feature for it.

The Flammie Drum stuff is basically two bugs. When first triggered as it gets ready to pan upwards, sometimes it overwrites enemy / NPC sprite graphics which you can see sometimes. That's likely the glitchy graphics you're sometimes seeing after the Mech Rider 2 fight, is Truffle's graphics getting scrambled during the pan up, and it's not unique to there. Then, Truffle not despawning when Flammie grabs the party is due to Miscellaneous\No_Drum_Respawn. While I made it not do a full map respawn, I didn't add the capability for it to despawn NPCs if event flags have changed (which is the case for castle top Truffle; the vanilla full respawn incidentally wouldn't respawn Truffle since event flag 0x35 had changed); I'll probably be able to improve that, but No_Drum_Respawn is pretty complicated and fragile code, so it'll take some time to figure out.

As for music + event timing, that's a serious pain in the butt to nail down. ZSNES is also less likely than other emulators to have music + event timing exactly the same as on real hardware. Aside from Proportional_Font, tons of things affect the timing... Enable_FastROM, the newly improved Async_Music_Crossfade, likely other features. Thankfully there aren't too many places in the game where the precise timing is particularly important, but I do want to do something about the few places it does matter.

Oh right, and Sword of Mana is very different than Final Fantasy Adventure. It's roughly the same story, but only very generally. Think of it like a movie reboot, where the new version maybe keeps character and location names, and the central plot points, but is otherwise completely different. They're both pretty neat in their own ways, though at a pretty fundamental level Sword of Mana is a much better game. Adventures of Mana was a direct, faithful remake of FFA... probably too faithful.

I'll get back to you regarding All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles as that's a zhaDe NGI feature and I never looked at how it worked.

SnesFaust, I went and smashed quite a few Water Thugs in the great forest and didn't happen across a misbehaving chest. You can get Candy or a Cobra Bracelet out of them, and I went until I got both. I didn't verify if they can be trapped and if the trap worked correctly, so that's the last thing I'll still need to test.

I've certainly never been happy with this game's weapon charging system. I'll keep your suggestion in mind if I get to playing with it again. I'm rarely worried about if something sounds overpowered; there are always ways to counter-balance something that's too effective, and what's most important is that a game is mechanically fun.

Anyway, pleased to see you noticed the title screen option. ManaRedux pointed me at your post about the box art, and I saw implementing it as a fun way to quickly brush up on how the title screen works since I hadn't looked at it in like two years. If you do get around to running it on physical hardware, I'd love to see a photograph of the title screen in action, if you're so inclined.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 16, 2021, 01:08:55 am »
Quote from: Queue
The Flammie Drum stuff is basically two bugs. When first triggered as it gets ready to pan upwards, sometimes it overwrites enemy / NPC sprite graphics which you can see sometimes. That's likely the glitchy graphics you're sometimes seeing after the Mech Rider 2 fight, is Truffle's graphics getting scrambled during the pan up, and it's not unique to there.

So I'm guessing it's either unfixable (due to hardware limit) or not really worthy of being fixed?  Did this also occur for vanilla?  I don't remember seeing that in vanilla, but it's been a long time since I explored vanilla.

Can you recommend me a snes emulator?  One where I can use par codes, save state, and speed up (a button for speed up, like you used "`" for snes to suddenly speed up like crazy).  Speed up and and par code usage is the main reason I still use the extremely-old zsnes.

Looking forward to your knowledge regarding All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles.

Memorex

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 16, 2021, 01:55:11 pm »
hmsong Snes9x core or similar for Retroarch all the way  :thumbsup: Shaders, fast forward, save states and PAR (though I've never tried that feature myself.) Setup can be a bit tricky.

Queue Strange that the empty textbox bug didn't show up for you. I had a savestate made safely before you enter the room and loaded it up several times with the same result when talking to the king after the boss, so it wasn't a one off. Still something could have been messed at an earlier state, of course. :huh:

Noticed a bug with the "Neko in Underground city" tweak; when walking up and talking to Krissie in the room behind Neko, either Neko, Watts or sometimes both characters dissappear when going back down to the first room. By exiting and entering again they re-appear. The read-me for this hack mentions that Watts position has been changed to avoid him disappearing due to some NPC limitation, but it seems that the problem remains? May be the nature of this tweak or a conflict with something in Turbo..?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:19:15 pm by Memorex »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: February 16, 2021, 05:59:24 pm »
hmsong, that graphics scramble is a vanilla bug. I looked into it further and did figure out a fix.

Thankfully I was wrong and it wasn't that sprite graphics were overwritten; it's that sprite settings get changed a few frames before it starts using new sprites, so old sprites shown with new settings look scrambled. It was actually just luck that the HUD portraits weren't visibly scrambled, but they are affected too (they just happen to not look like anything when scrambled, else this mistake probably would've been fixed by the original developers). I changed it so it only changes the sprite settings once it starts using the new sprites (for the clouds / sun in the sky during the pan up).

I also changed No_Drum_Respawn so the Flammie flyby refreshes NPCs (not the same as respawning them) to fix the Truffle not despawning issue.

If your computer can handle it, I'd suggest Mesen-S.
The official version is:
https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen-S
The author has stopped development. This version is completely usable (and incredibly good) and should work forever, so not actually a negative or anything.
You download by finding the "Releases" link on the right.

https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen-S
Is probably the fork with the most potential if you want more features, but is not currently easy to get a pre-built executable as far as I know.

So for All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles, first off, I'll be adding a _Only_Weak_Obstacles sub feature for it, but here's the explanation of how it works. Going to post a chunk of code and try and explain it. It's technically really easy how destructible stuff works, but it is still SNES assembly.

When your weapon hits a tile, the tile's collision type is checked, and if it's between 0xC0 and 0xCB, it's potentially destructible, and some code checks the weapon type that hit it to decide if it should change:
Code: [Select]
@OFF $C1D3AB
LDA $0A ' load tile collision type
AND #0F ' mask out the high nibble
CMP #08
BCC *single_weapon ' if less than 0x8 (0x0-0x7) only a single weapon type breaks it
BEQ *sword_axe ' if equal to 0x8
CMP #09
BEQ *spear_whip
CMP #0A
BEQ *bow_boomerang_javelin
CMP #0B
BEQ *glove_sword_axe
BRA *exit ' if greater than 0xB indestructible
*sword_axe
LDA+X $E068 ' load weapon type
CMP #01 ' sword
BEQ *destroy
CMP #02 ' axe
BEQ *destroy
BNE *exit
*spear_whip
CMP #03 ' spear
BEQ *destroy
CMP #04 ' whip
BEQ *destroy
BNE *exit
*bow_boomerang_javelin
CMP #05 ' bow
BCS *destroy ' if greater than or equal to 0x5 (5/6/7 bow/boomerang/javelin)
BCC *exit
*glove_sword_axe
CMP #03 ' spear
BCC *destroy ' if less than 0x3 (0/1/2 glove/sword/axe)
BCS *exit
*single_weapon
CMP+X $E068 ' load weapon type
BNE *exit
*destroy
XBA ' swap A to replacement tile
STA[] $00 ' overwrite tile
COPY C1D3F7 2E
*exit
'SEP #20
'STZ $82
'RTS
What All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles does is change the beginning of that code so that it looks like this:
@OFF $C1D3AB
LDA $0A ' load tile collision type
AND #0F ' mask out the high nibble
CMP #01 ' sword
BEQ *single_weapon ' if sword only destructible, still require sword
BRA *destroy ' everything else
This actually introduces a bug: it allows tiles with collision types 0xCC through 0xCF to be breakable, even though vanilla code filters those tile numbers out. I'm changing this so that it correctly skips collision types greater than 0xCB.

Anyway, while there are multiple ways to do what you want, for example, you could change the *sword_axe code (at $C1D3C3), I'll change the BEQ *sword_axe to BEQ *destroy, so if the tile is sword/axe destructible (e.g. bushes) it will always succeed regardless of which weapon hits it.

Memorex, can you try the save state against the newest Turbo version and make sure the blank box still happens? I went through all event branches, as far as I'm aware, and nothing seems like it should cause that (I tested in-game by manually setting event flags, and just logically by reading the event data). Aside from the screenshot proving it, I trust people when they say they got a blank text box, as it's pretty hard to misreport that, I just haven't managed to reproduce this one.

That room in the underground city showcases a vanilla engine limitation. Notice the characters have their weapons out: that means it's a combat map, which means there's a limit of 3 NPCs (enemies included) at once. When weapons aren't out, it's a non-combat map (like a town) and the limit is 9 instead. Kethinov tried to reduce the incidence of the limitation by spacing them out to try and only have 3 near each other at one time, but as you saw, it doesn't prevent the problem 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:29:05 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 16, 2021, 07:06:50 pm »
@Queue

Thanks for the emulator suggestion.  I shall try out the official version.  I don't know if my computer is powerful enough, but it should be.

Thanks for the graphic fixes.  And Truffle fix.  Looking forward to trying them.

Thanks for making the sub feature for All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles.  I only understood little bit of the details of All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles sub feature codes.  But based on sword_axe (relative to glove_sword_axe and spear_whip), there are tiles which can only be damaged by sword and axe, but not any other melee weapons? (even after the sub feature)  I know that the bush and the fortress crystals are vulnerable to swords and axe, but the sub feature is supposed to make them vulnerable to all melee attacks, right? (including javelin's stab attack and boomerang's charge attack)  As far as I know, there are 4 tiles that can be affected by weapons -- bush, boulder, ancient city crystal, and mana fortress crystal.

I found some graphic error (vanilla has it too if I remember correctly).  When the ninjas throw their shurikens upward, there's a graphic error.  Just upwards though:

https://ibb.co/vDvKCCc
https://ibb.co/nnyjPvQ

I'm not sure if any other enemies have this problem.

Also, for Alternate_Text_Boxes, could you make it so that the empty part of background when using the default text frame matches the background?  I like to use the default text frame (although with solid background), but that "empty side line" always bothered me.  I know that the reason the default frame has that problem is because the default frame has that extra pixels on both sides.  And that's actually why I like that frame -- thin frame with the biggest text space.

And if possible, if you can create something so that we can choose the default background too (Better_Default_Text_Boxes only allows to choose the frame, not the background), that'll be great.

@Memorex

Thanks for the emulator suggestion.  I very much appreciate it.  I'm gonna try it and compare it to others.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:44:44 am by hmsong »

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 17, 2021, 03:07:10 am »
hmsong, I don't have any good advice on recording video. It's never anything I have done nor have any desire to set up for.

Anyway, you do have me convinced there's a problem with those bosses. I have looked at the Great Viper before and swear I didn't find a problem, but I must be blind. Any more details you can give would surely be helpful, but I'll be taking a look at it.

Mr X, like hmsong surmised, replacing the Biting Lizards isn't terribly simple. They're bosses, which get to trigger an event when they die, normal enemies do not. Note for the Tasnica boss, you have to talk to the unconscious king to exit the boss fight room, because the Dark Stalker is just a normal enemy, so doesn't trigger an event automatically when it is defeated.

To make something functional to replace the lizard trio, 2 could be turned into normal enemies, and the third into an NPC to check when the 2 are defeated and send you out. For example, it could be a high stepper that only launches you out if the 2 enemies are dead. Or it could be a chest that only opens once they're dead (and warps you out once opened). Or a mini snowman. There are probably other clever thematic options.

Also, you cannot mix bosses and normal enemies.

Memorex, the "Take THIS!" brief timing is actually just like vanilla (though the line breaks aren't as dumb there in vanilla), but I agree that it's bad. I think I've made an adjustment that will make it play out better (and fixed it so "Take THIS!" is on one line together).

I haven't been able to trigger that blank text box, but I did find a different issue with that event where Reborn tries to cram 4 lines in one box, so you don't get much time to read the first three before the 4th line clears the box. So that'll be fixed at least. Will still need to figure out what circumstance causes that empty text box.

For the Tropics, something got messed up with NPC numbering, so the event is issuing animation and movement commands to the wrong NPCs (instead of the bottom scorpion henchman walking downwards, the stove walks downwards). I'll just need to locate which feature is breaking that.

Edit: The Tropicy stove issue was due to Frosty_the_Friendly_Alchemist, and possibly a bug I introduced that wasn't in kethinov's original.

On Windows 10 use Windows key+G and record natively.

Memorex

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 17, 2021, 10:54:17 am »
Queue Sorry, I don't have that save state any more so I can't verify.

About Neko & Watts, that makes perfect sense. Just noticed that Jema disapears outside the Tree palace as well for the
same reason.

hmsong +1 on extending the blue background to fill the gap!  :thumbsup:

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210217
« Reply #1879 on: February 17, 2021, 03:14:07 pm »
Version 2021-02-17:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/o7ytmw

Changes:
- Fixed potential bug in Quality_of_Life\All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles
- Implemented Quality_of_Life\All_Weapons_Destroy_Obstacles\Only_Weak_Obstacles sub-feature where all weapons only break normally slashable stuff like bushes
- Fixed Ninja enemy shuriken upward throws (added to Graphics\Manicured_Monsters)
- Fixed potential brief scrambled sprites when using the drum (added to Bug_Fixes\Blue_Sky_Blink_Fix)
- Made Miscellaneous\No_Drum_Respawn capable of refreshing NPCs based on event flag changes to resolve an issue where King Truffle wouldn't vanish when an event activates the drum
- Further refined Audio\Async_Music_Crossfade; flight music is no longer asynchronously loaded due to possible visual glitch side effects

Technical Changes:
- Added manual offset pseudo-instructions for all short branch instructions:
OP BCC * ' $B070
RAW EA
...becomes:
BCC# EA ' $B070

hmsong, the ninja shuriken issue was a weird mistake in how they overlapped ninja boomerang animations with the player's. Fixed by changing animation index numbers in the ninja's upward throw animation script. Yes, plenty of enemies have animation glitches, especially ranged attacks; see Manicured_Monsters for what I've already fixed.

Try Only_Weak_Obstacles and let me know if it's how you wanted.

The gap on that text box frame is a technical limitation. That border's tile's pixels can only be black, gray, white or transparent. So that gap can only be colored black, gray or white, or the frame can be narrowed so that it's adjacent to the interior tiles, but then you lose the extra spacing. For Alternate_Text_Boxes, I added the edges of a grid to that frame so that it'd mesh with the two large grid backgrounds, but that's possibly as good as it gets.

Better_Default_Text_Boxes lets you choose the style number, which is a frame / background pair. On the text box edit screen, notice how if you press up/down, each frame has a specific background with it, which you can then change? They're all defined in pairs. I might be able to change it so all pairs default to a specified background number, but that's low priority.