News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191121  (Read 104046 times)

Mr X

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 190902
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2019, 02:52:28 am »

I want the 8th sword orb to be a drop in the Mana Fortress to match the other weapons. Just need to figure out a suitable enemy to cram it on. I didn't use Doom Swords because I did remember that they were in the Grand Palace. I also thought I'd read that weapon orb drops only functioned in the Mana Fortress, but that's incorrect info; the dropped orb chests only check if current orbs < maximum orbs (and various things set the maximum orb values, notably the Mana Tree event).

Replacing enemies with chests is Kethinov's thing. If there are some accidentally unreachable chests I'll move them in-bounds, but the two existing features related to weapon orbs already handle bumping orb availability. Part of my reluctance is that you don't just put in a chest that contains an orb, you put in a chest that contains a specific level orb, which means having to verify the correct orb count for that weapon at that point in the game, and modifying any orb chests for that weapon type that come later in the game.

There, think that replies to everything.

Even tho I personally will still use Kethinov's patch, as you said the process of getting the orbs is boring, if you are gonna make the sword dropable I would suggest the Ninja Master in Mana Fortress to drop both the boomerang and the sword orb. It even fits with him using a boomerang and sword weapon itself, and is a Mana Fortress exclusive enemy.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2019, 03:34:18 am »
Even tho I personally will still use Kethinov's patch, as you said the process of getting the orbs is boring, if you are gonna make the sword dropable I would suggest the Ninja Master in Mana Fortress to drop both the boomerang and the sword orb. It even fits with him using a boomerang and sword weapon itself, and is a Mana Fortress exclusive enemy.

I remember how I and my older brother did grind master ninjas for no end, because of that very thought. We had at that point all weapon orbs, except for the final Sword Orb.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2019, 03:39:41 am »
Found a bug, after I lost, it shows a message about luna living in the moon temple to the east and how to get to the moon palace by charging with your weapons. While the game just stops and wont start over so I have to reset manually

September 04, 2019, 03:43:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I remember how I and my older brother did grind master ninjas for no end, because of that very thought. We had at that point all weapon orbs, except for the final Sword Orb.

Haha, you are not the only ones who did that, I too did that as a kid, I was like where the heck is the last sword orb, I remember all these hours I wasted in the mana fortress for nothing. Even the final weapons aren't any good just some slight strength increase, and combined with that low drop rate it was just a waste of time. But back then it was that feeling of completing everything 100%, but the last sword orb missing which never existed

Then came the internet and you of course would look for the 9th sword orb, showing you a glitch to get it  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:45:27 am by Mr X »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2019, 04:01:33 am »
An idea about what "New" Evil Gate will be like:

Evil Gate (10MP):   Damage = [(User Level) + (Magic Level x10)] x6
           (Max: 999) (Magic Level is 0~9) (Single-Target Only)

September 04, 2019, 06:35:03 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have an idea about the final Sword Orb drop -- Why not have one of the Mana Fortress bosses (Dread Slime) drop it?  That would solve everything.  And have all other Mana Fortress unique monsters remain as they were (so Tsunami would have the Spear Orb).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:35:03 am by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2019, 07:16:59 am »
An idea about what "New" Evil Gate will be like:

Evil Gate (10MP):   Damage = [(User Level) + (Magic Level x10)] x6
           (Max: 999) (Magic Level is 0~9) (Single-Target Only)

September 04, 2019, 06:35:03 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have an idea about the final Sword Orb drop -- Why not have one of the Mana Fortress bosses (Dread Slime) drop it?  That would solve everything.  And have all other Mana Fortress unique monsters remain as they were (so Tsunami would have the Spear Orb).

The problem with that is that the drops for the other weapon orbs would be lower while the sword would drop on the first try due to that being a boss

September 04, 2019, 07:22:49 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This would be probably far from possible but maybe a secret super boss for the final sword orb would have been pretty cool, which can be fought after certain requirements are met.

September 04, 2019, 10:25:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Have you made changes to what some enemies cast as well? The rabilion enemy casted fireball a spell I have never seen it cast before, not that I mind just pointing out in case that was not intended

Another thing when I put the other two characters to charge their weapon to attack after their initial attack they stop attacking altogether unless I run then they charge their weapons again then repeat. Would be nice if this gets fixed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:40:18 am by Mr X »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2019, 03:58:44 pm »
zoolgremlin, there's no intentional change to the slime bosses as far as I know; if there is a difference to them it's probably a side effect of... who knows what. Seriously, I can't think of anything that should interact with them specifically.

hmsong, reasonable suggestion on giving the Sword Orb to a fortress boss. My concern is that I don't like one being guaranteed while the others are random drops (personally, I hate when a game tries to foist one "best" item on you, especially if it's tied to the story like the sword in this game). Unless I can come up with something else I'm happy with though, this is the route I'll go. Will probably need a warning that Weapons_Progression_Balance + Fortress_Boss_Orb = Orb_Overflow_Event probably required.

Mr X, the Master Ninja's other drop (enemies only have two drops) is a fairly important piece of armor. Going to have to explore my options to make this work. It seems like there are specifically 7 fortress-only enemies, and each already has a weapon orb. Enemy table is full (as are lots of other data tables... this game is packed full to the brim), but I should be able to come up with something good. The current Turtlance orb scenario was a ~1 minute hack I did on a whim.

I can't reproduce the death script bug. The Luna hint was added near the end of the list of events, which is where some of the death message event stuff is, so it's at least logical that if something went wrong you'd see interference between them. Will need a reproducible scenario to pin this one down.

I didn't change any enemy attacks, spells, etc. Looks like Silktail AI can use 4 spells, 08, 07, 0B and 0C, which should be Energy Absorb, Acid Storm, Cure Water and Fireball. Not sure what all the conditions are that makes it cast Fireball, but one aspect is a random number with a low chance (if I'm reading things right). Several features in the patcher affect how often enemies make AI decisions, so depending on which options you have On/Off it could simply be that they hit that random chance check more often so it's more likely to occur than vanilla.

Thanks for the report on teammate charging.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:14:46 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2019, 09:01:14 pm »
Once again, thank you for replying so fast.

I figured out a LOT with the info you provided me.  Honestly.  I'll post what I have once I'm done.

Having said that, do you know what I address I should use to add Poison status to a spell?  Specifically, I want to add Poison status to Dark Force.  But I have no idea how.  I tried playing around with:

D0/341D: 0000   Status Effect

And changed <0000> to various numbers (ex: 0001, 0020, 0400, 8000, etc), but I couldn't get it to work.  Any idea?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:08:04 am by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2019, 05:21:47 am »

Mr X, the Master Ninja's other drop (enemies only have two drops) is a fairly important piece of armor. Going to have to explore my options to make this work. It seems like there are specifically 7 fortress-only enemies, and each already has a weapon orb. Enemy table is full (as are lots of other data tables... this game is packed full to the brim), but I should be able to come up with something good. The current Turtlance orb scenario was a ~1 minute hack I did on a whim.

I can't reproduce the death script bug. The Luna hint was added near the end of the list of events, which is where some of the death message event stuff is, so it's at least logical that if something went wrong you'd see interference between them. Will need a reproducible scenario to pin this one down.

I didn't change any enemy attacks, spells, etc. Looks like Silktail AI can use 4 spells, 08, 07, 0B and 0C, which should be Energy Absorb, Acid Storm, Cure Water and Fireball. Not sure what all the conditions are that makes it cast Fireball, but one aspect is a random number with a low chance (if I'm reading things right). Several features in the patcher affect how often enemies make AI decisions, so depending on which options you have On/Off it could simply be that they hit that random chance check more often so it's more likely to occur than vanilla.

Thanks for the report on teammate charging.

Hmm the metal crab drops the same armor that can be bought at Neko, maybe tweak the drops a bit? Or if you wanna be extra fancy, recoloring an enemy and give them different spells/hp stat, turning them into a new enemy for the final sword orb.

I see I guess a first for everything lol, when it casted fireball it caught me off guard haha. Speaking of, have you ever considered to change some bosses spells or add them additional spells?

Thank you for all the hard work! :beer:

September 05, 2019, 05:59:42 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another thing I encountered when it comes to charge attacks, while charging if any spell be it defensive/healing or offensive gets cast it will reset the charging.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:59:42 am by Mr X »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2019, 09:17:44 am »
Okay, here's what I have so far.  I name it, "Spell_Balance_Overhaul".  Please let me know what you think.

Description:
Following spells were changed:

-Cure Water   2MP --> 3MP (Cure Water is too OP -- makes cure items useless)
-Flame Saber   2MP --> 4MP (Engulf status is pretty useful)
+Blaze Wall   33PWR --> 43PWR (4MP spell shouldn't be the weakest spell in the game)
+Moon Energy   Target = One/All (There's no reason not to)
-Moon Energy   2MP --> 4MP (This is too OP for a 2MP spell)
+Light Saber   5MP --> 4MP (Even with Balloon patch, this is not 5MP worthy)
+Lucent Beam   61PWR/8MP --> 79PWR/4MP (8MP?  What the hell?)
-Lucid Barrier   4MP --> 6MP (This is powerful, and should match Wall)

-Freeze      61PWR --> 43PWR (It's a 2MP spell (and first spell), so its PWR should be weaker)
-Acid Rain   43PWR/3MP --> 61PWR/4MP (PWR/Cost went up)
-Energy Absorb   2MP --> 3MP (It does 43PWR and absorbs HP, so it should cost more)
-Fireball   52PWR --> 43PWR (It's a 2MP spell, so its PWR should be weaker)
+Lava Wave   43PWR --> 61PWR (It's a 3MP spell, so its PWR should be stronger)
+Exploder   61PWR --> 79PWR (It's a 4MP spell, so its PWR should be stronger)
+Thunderbolt   4MP --> 3MP (It's a 61PWR spell, so it should cost 3MP)
+Silence   2MP --> 1MP (Silence status from magic is not very useful)
+Sleep Flower   2MP --> 1MP (Sleep status from magic is not very useful)
-Burst      4MP --> 5MP (It's the most powerful spell (100PWR), so it should cost more)
-Dark Force   61PWR/2MP --> 79PWR/4MP (PWR/Cost went up)
+Dispel Magic   4MP --> 2MP (It only gets rid of buff/sabers/barriers)

Code: [Select]
&(mods)\Magic\spell_NewEffects\spellData_Changes
REQ Spell_Power_Tweaks
ASM <.asm>
&(mods)\Magic\spell_NewEffects\spellData_Changes\.asm

' freeze, power
@OFF $D02C5A
RAW 2B

' acid storm, power
@OFF $D02C9A
RAW 3D

' acid rain, cost
@OFF $D02C9F
RAW 04

' energy absorb, cost
@OFF $D02CDF
RAW 03

' cure water, cost
@OFF $D02D9F
RAW 03

' fireball, power
@OFF $D02DDA
RAW 2B

' explode, power
@OFF $D02E1A
RAW 4F

' lava wave, power
@OFF $D02E5A
RAW 3D

' flame saber, cost
@OFF $D02E9F
RAW 04

' blaze wall, power
@OFF $D02F1A
RAW 2B

' thunderbolt, cost
@OFF $D02F9F
RAW 03

' silence, cost
@OFF $D02FDF
RAW 01

' moon energy, target
@OFF $D03218
RAW 01

' moon energy, cost
@OFF $D0321F
RAW 04

' sleep flower, cost
@OFF $D0325F
RAW 01

' burst, cost
@OFF $D0329F
RAW 05

' dark force, power
@OFF $D0341A
RAW 4F

' dark force, cost
@OFF $D0341F
RAW 04

' dispel magic, cost
@OFF $D0345F
RAW 02

' light saber, cost
@OFF $D0349F
RAW 04

' lumina beam, power
@OFF $D034DA
RAW 4F

' lumina beam, cost
@OFF $D034DF
RAW 04

' lucid barrier, cost
@OFF $D0351F
RAW 06

I still can't figure out how to add Poison status to Dark Force.  Please let me know if you can figure it out.

Also, I thought "Magic Recharge" could have roughly the same amount of short/medium/long magic recharge spells.  It also makes it so that there is at least one Short or Medium spell recharge per each group of spells, just to make "level-up" magics slightly less frustrating.  This is, of course, up to you, since you're the original creator.

&(mods)\Magic\magicRecharging\table\tbl_magicRechargeTime.asm

@OFF tbl_magicRechargeTime[]

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Earth Slide
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Gem Missile
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Speed Down

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Stone Saber
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Speed Up
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Defender

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Freeze
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Acid Storm
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Energy Absorb

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Ice Saber
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Remedy
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Cure Water

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Fireball
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Exploder
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Lava Wave

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Flame Saber
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Fire Bouquet
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Blaze Wall

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Air Blast
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Thunderbolt
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Silence

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Thunder Saber
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Balloon
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Analyzer

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Change Form
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' MP Absorb
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Lunar Magic

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Moon Saber
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Lunar Boost
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Moon Energy

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Sleep Flower
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Burst
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Mana Magic

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Revivifer
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Wall
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Mana Magic

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Evil Gate
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Dark Force
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Dispel Magic

ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_SHORT ' Light Saber
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_LONG ' Lucent Beam
ADR.16 MAGIC_TIME_MEDIUM ' Lucid Barrier

I must say, I learned a lot.  Hopefully, I can experiment with other things.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:16:36 pm by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2019, 09:38:11 am »
Tbh Moon energy is pretty op too, I don't mind it being only single ally.

Also Acid storm is a spell that lowers magic/physical defense, I wouldn't make this spell more powerful than freeze. What I would do instead make this spell be useful for that purpose. For example for some bosses have them with high defense or magic defense or both so you would cast this spell to lower it down then be able to harm them. Gorgon Bull for example, have his natural magic/physical defense higher, cast acid storm then proceed with with sylphid magic to hit for more damage after lowering his defense. He also casts defense up so he can counter back again, and effects run out in this game too so you repeat the strategy, power up your team and all that. Or have the enemies with high natural agility/speed so use gnomes magic to slow the boss and raise your own to hit the boss physically.

Another spell to utilize properly is fire boquet to lower the boss offensive capabilities or spell power, have one with high offensive power and make use of that+defense up or barrier if you have lumina.

It would make boss fights more interesting being sometimes even forced to use certain spells like that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:31:56 am by Mr X »

pftmclub

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2019, 12:16:02 pm »
pftmclub, not likely. While I think Trials of Mana is visually beautiful, I don't actually like it very much. It surprises me how different a game it is from Secret of Mana (in ways I don't like) while being superficially so similar.

Oh That's kinda sad. I understand the different in way you don't like, it's just Trials of mana could have better and beautiful combo system if this game is hacked by you !

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2019, 02:20:25 pm »
It would probably be better to add poison to "Sleep" Flower to actually make it useful, and the fact that Dryad has Poison Bubble as a spell in SD3.

You could lower the healing value of cure water more, even with 3 MP it is still very strong.

Not sure if you could modify the values for multi-targeting to make those stronger/weaker on a per spell basis.

Would be cool if a dark or leaf saber could be implemented, but it would probably be too much work to do.
Wark!

zoolgremlin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Steam Profile Name: keeperofcastlegreydusk
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2019, 04:22:13 pm »
@Queue  Thanks for your reply regarding the Lime/Dread Slimes.  It's possible that they still have the same invincibility frames (I think there's a particular way in which they work, but you might already know), and being able to attack more frequently, due to [Turbo_Mode] or [Double_Stamina_Regen], probably means the AI-controlled characters' attacks get around the I-frames more often.  I will look into it more, but I think that's the side effect.  Cheers!  :woot!:

On the topic of map oddities, I have no further issues to report at this time.  I did notice some odd discoloration on the background used during the Pure Land event, where the characters see the Mana Tree in the distance, but backgrounds are presumably separate from maps.  So I won't report any details on that unless you decide you want to know.  I'm just getting used to using a hex editor, to locate the lookup tables for weapons, spells, monster stats, etc.  That'll keep me from rambling on for a while!  Hope you have a good one...  8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:50:40 am by zoolgremlin »
If you try to fail, and succeed, what've you done?!

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2019, 07:07:20 pm »
@Queue
I noticed something.  For Magic Recharge, the "timer" for the spells differ, depending on the animation of spell.  Specifically, the timer starts when the spell animation starts.  So, for spells like Freeze, Earth Slide, or Cure Water, the timer starts instantly.  However, for spells like Sabers, Fireball, or Air Blast, the last of "magic bolts" needs to hit to start the second phase of the animation.  And the 2nd animation restarts the timer.

Long story short, the "magic bolt" spells take longer time to recharge.  All the more reason to make the basic 43PWR spells Medium Recharge spells.  It wouldn't make sense for them to take longer to recharge than higher-tier spells.

I also found an upside to the Lv9 spells:  The timer starts while the rest of the world is frozen -- meaning, you are technically recharging faster.  Well, not all spells.  I know Explode and Burst don't recharge immediately, so they will start recharging after the animation is over.  There's probably more.

@Mr X
Changed Moon Energy to 4MP (instead of original 2MP).  Yeah, it's pretty OP.  Having said that, You're not gonna use Moon Energy on everyone.  You'll most likely use on one target only.

I guess it may make Acid Storm too powerful.  The thing is, I don't use that Acid Storm's extra buff patch, because I didn't like how there's no "description box for lowered M.Def" thing.  Then again, that's why I added an extra MP Cost (61 PWR magic is usually 3MP, but Acid Storm is 4MP).  I also wanted to make the frequent magic users (ex: Silktail, Captain Duck) a bit more dangerous.  I even made Lucent Beam more powerful to make the final boss more difficult.  I'll have to think about this, but making Freeze = 61PWR/3MP and Acid Storm = 43/3MP and HP Absorb = 43/3MP... they all have 3MP, and I wanted to avoid that.

I actually wanted to keep Lucent Beam at 61 PWR, but add lowers Accuracy/Evasion (it blinds the target, and makes Mana Magic against Mana Beast less effective).  And wanted to keep Dark Force at 61 PWR and give Poison status.  And I wanted to keep Explode at 61 PWR (at 3MP), but at the same time, make Lava Wave to 43PWR/4MP, but add Petrify.  Obviously, I wasn't able to do any of those.  Acid Storm, Fire Bouquet, and Blaze Wall all adds something other than pure damage, but even after looking at those, I can't figure it out.  I seriously wish I can figure out how to add status to spells (or have someone help me to figure it out).  Hence, waiting for Queue (my teacher).

I also wanted to make Burst cost HP (50 HP) instead of MP, but I doubt anyone can figure that out.  It is suppose to be a self-destruction magic (remember Pumpkin Bomb?).  Any less than 50 HP seems too small (hell, even the number display font is smaller).  Or takes 10% recoil damage.

@SpiffSpoo
I didn't want to make Cure Water weaker, because that'll make enemies' Cure Water weaker too.  Remember how annoying Bite Lizard is?  Still, I may consider that and make it into 43/3MP, since Cure Water ignores Defense (or so I heard).

If I remember correctly, a game sprite (enemy or ally) can only have ONE status effects done.  So sleeping and poison cannot be done at the same time.  You can have a status effect and a buff/debuff at the same time though.

Just so you know, I'm not Queue, who is probably some kind of programming wizard.  I can modify existing things if Queue guides me (he did so with the spell modification), but beyond that...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:50:02 pm by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 06, 2019, 01:59:24 am »

@Mr X
I guess it may make Acid Storm too powerful.  The thing is, I don't use that Acid Storm's extra buff patch, because I didn't like how there's no "description box for lowered M.Def" thing.  Then again, that's why I added an extra MP Cost (61 PWR magic is usually 3MP, but Acid Storm is 4MP).  I also wanted to make the frequent magic users (ex: Silktail, Captain Duck) a bit more dangerous.  I even made Lucent Beam more powerful to make the final boss more difficult.  I'll have to think about this, but making Freeze = 61PWR/3MP and Acid Storm = 43/3MP and HP Absorb = 43/3MP... they all have 3MP, and I wanted to avoid that.

I actually wanted to keep Lucent Beam at 61 PWR, but add lowers Accuracy/Evasion (it blinds the target, and makes Mana Magic against Mana Beast less effective).  And wanted to keep Dark Force at 61 PWR and give Poison status.  And I wanted to keep Explode at 61 PWR (at 3MP), but at the same time, make Lava Wave to 43PWR/4MP, but add Petrify.  Obviously, I wasn't able to do any of those.  Acid Storm, Fire Bouquet, and Blaze Wall all adds something other than pure damage, but even after looking at those, I can't figure it out.  I seriously wish I can figure out how to add status to spells (or have someone help me to figure it out).  Hence, waiting for Queue (my teacher).

I also wanted to make Burst cost HP (50 HP) instead of MP, but I doubt anyone can figure that out.  It is suppose to be a self-destruction magic (remember Pumpkin Bomb?).  Any less than 50 HP seems too small (hell, even the number display font is smaller).  Or takes 10% recoil damage.

I like your idea of lucent Beam. But why dark force and poison status? Isn't the dark element supposed to be based of dark matter, or black holes, or void and things like that?

I would go with percentage of your maximum hp so that's more friendly with low level runners too.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:35:56 am by Mr X »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2019, 02:53:13 am »
Replacing enemies with chests is Kethinov's thing. If there are some accidentally unreachable chests I'll move them in-bounds, but the two existing features related to weapon orbs already handle bumping orb availability. Part of my reluctance is that you don't just put in a chest that contains an orb, you put in a chest that contains a specific level orb, which means having to verify the correct orb count for that weapon at that point in the game, and modifying any orb chests for that weapon type that come later in the game.

From time to time in Grand Palace, there is a chest stuck in an unreachable waters on one of the floors (the chest contains the 6th Sword Orb - for the 7th Sword).  If I re-enter few times, it gets back on the bridge (or vice versa).  I'm pretty certain it has something to do with the "3 enemies per screen" limit.

September 06, 2019, 02:55:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@Mr X

Poison was so underused in the game.  There's no way to inflict Poison onto enemies, other than one of the lower Glove and a lower Boomerang.  No spell, no Saber, nothing.  I figured I want to "utilize the underused thing".

September 06, 2019, 03:39:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@Quote

You told me that anything after <'> in one line would be ignored, such as:

' acid storm, power
But what about things like these?:

'ADR.16 $C8BF38 '[ F5: Dark Lich]
' RAW B8 01 87 90 10 EB 7046

Are they being ignored?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:40:15 am by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2019, 03:49:13 am »
From time to time in Grand Palace, there is a chest stuck in an unreachable waters on one of the floors (the chest contains the 6th Sword Orb - for the 7th Sword).  If I re-enter few times, it gets back on the bridge (or vice versa).  I'm pretty certain it has something to do with the "3 enemies per screen" limit.

September 06, 2019, 02:55:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@Mr X

Poison was so underused in the game.  There's no way to inflict Poison onto enemies, other than one of the lower Glove and a lower Boomerang.  No spell, no Saber, nothing.  I figured I want to "utilize the underused thing".

In a way you could say the Girl as a much better alternative than the poison status, by engulfing the enemies, they can't move they would be at your mercy as their hp drops too. Or Burst could be another alternative for poison if you really want to do it, or even Lava Wave makes sense too more than void like magic having it.

But then again you have blaze wall for a better alternative than that, except the fire immune enemies I guess, but you wont need it on them anyway there aren't that many of them. Instead make it lower another stat of the enemy. Or make dispel magic remove the lucid barrier too, as far as I am aware that spell doesn't remove it, dark force being purely a powerful dark based spell, with the evil gate working just like in Turbo for high mp cost.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:58:08 am by Mr X »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 06, 2019, 04:23:42 am »
I should have time to do a full reply tomorrow, but the short explanation of why setting the spell's data to include a status effect value does nothing is because most damaging spells run a function that doesn't read the status effect value from the spell's data.

In bank 0x08 is a pointer table at $C8E801, 42 entries long (one per spell), 2 bytes each, to specify the spell function to be called by each spell. The damage-only spells have the value 0x8BEA, which is little-endian order 0xEA8B, which is the 16-bit address for $C8EA8B, which is a spell casting function that only applies damage. $C8EBE5 is a spell casting function that applies damage and status effects; it's used by Blaze Wall. If you change a given damage only spell's function pointer in the table at $C8E801 from $C8EA8B (0x8BEA) to $C8EBE5 (0xE5EB) then that spell will also apply a status effect.

Dark Force is the 38th spell. 38 -1 (since spell #1 is at offset 0), so 37 * 2 (each entry is 2 bytes) = 74, convert to hexadecimal = 0x4A, $C8E801 + 0x4A = $C8E84B, change the two bytes at $C8E84B from 0x8BEA to 0xE5EB, make sure the spell data in bank 0x10 includes the poison status effect (or whatever) and you'll get the behavior you're wanting, probably. Anyway, time for bed; yes, this was the short version. -_-

P.S.
You told me that anything after <'> in one line would be ignored, such as:
' acid storm, powerBut what about things like these?:
'ADR.16 $C8BF38 '[ F5: Dark Lich]
' RAW B8 01 87 90 10 EB 7046
Are they being ignored?
Yes, those lines are ignored.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 06, 2019, 10:50:01 am »
@Queue
Thank you for that.  What you said is barely registering in my mind, but I suppose I shall... try.  Oh boy.  Also, according to Mr X, Dispel does not get rid of Lucid Barrier (even though it gets rid of Wall).  Any idea how to change things so that Dispel (therefore Magical Herb) gets rid of Lucid Barrier too?

@Mr X
I'm aware Engulf is better than Poison.  I just want something... anything, to inflict Poison status.  Burst can work too, but since that's the most powerful spell, I don't want to make it even more deadly.  Unless I can make it use HP instead of MP (I really want to do that).

Oh wow, I did not know Dispel does not neutralize Lucid Barrier, even though it gets rid of Wall.  I don't even know how to change that.

September 06, 2019, 08:02:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Bug (?) Report:

Moon Saber:  HP gained from absorbing doesn't affect your HP until an enemy dies (or you are damaged).  This may be only graphical, since if I get damaged, I initially gain the HP I absorbed before, then subtract the damaged HP amount.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:39:27 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 07, 2019, 12:36:49 am »
The Moon Saber issue is only graphical. I need to figure out how to safely trigger a UI refresh during the Moon Saber lifetap code.

Did reproduce the AI teammates going dumb after a charge attack.

I only had enough time to play with the Mana Fortress Sword Orb, didn't wind up with time for the forums today. =/