- Added checksum adjustment code to the Helper Script for the case where the ROM is resized down to 3 MB
- The SFROM file generated by the Helper Script should be backwards compatible with old emulators that accept headered SNES ROM files (though the extension may need to be changed to make selecting the file easier); this feature is really just for testing and I haven't double checked that I didn't break compatibility with SNESCE / Canoe
- Split the [Balance] section into three sections: [Magic], [Items] and [Balance]
- Changed [Hittable_Vampires] to be Off by default
- Added Kethinov's [Earlier_Midge_Mallet], [Later_Midge_Mallet], [Faerie_Coconut] and its graphic replacement
- Added the ability to "unforge" level 9 weapons back to 1 (the feature is called [Circular_Forging]), after which you can forge them back up; just burns through some money
- Made disabling auto-casing when using [Mixed_Case_Naming] toggle-able; mostly useful for continuing saves where your characters already have dumpy all-caps names
- Fixed an obscure vanilla crash that occurs if you walk multiple characters into an auto-talk NPC simultaneously
- Slight adjustment to boomerang diagonal down left/right quick throw so you won't miss the catch
- A good amount of code cleanup
- Almost finished untangling dependencies; this is mostly an internal issue but wanted to document it
, possible, but not trivial; as-is it can be given its own longer cooldown that would also block out other spells. Like others pointed out though, a cooldown isn't the only option for controlling its use. The game intended for mana cost to be the limiter for spell spam, but as can be seen in vanilla, it's inadequate on its own; I scaled back zhaDe's lockout timer duration because I wanted to prevent stacking, but not have recast time be what drives over-all spell use. Ultimately, spell power per cast is probably the strongest control lever for balancing them with how spells work in this game. Aaand is not high on my list of things to mess with and Timbo's big project will likely get spell balance right for those concerned with such things.Uberdubie
, my principal stance is this: I don't really care if the game winds up easier; it's an easy game to begin with, but tedious; my goal was to remove the tedium. Between my changes, and all of other authors' work that I have enabled by default, removing tedium was the goal, with adding fun as a secondary (and fixing bugs because those ruin fun, even the ones that provide short-term fun but long term anti-fun); difficulty is an afterthought.
My view on blocking is that yes, it's way too good, but you also cannot do anything else while blocking, so I'm not in a hurry to overhaul it yet; I also don't personally like timing-based blocking in games, I prefer decision-based blocking (do I want to be in turtle mode or do I want to be in offense mode?). Currently, only spells get past blocking. That said, I'm not averse to a successful block leading to some sort of cooldown, I just don't like the initial block needing split-second timing; I want to be able to just hold up a shield all day waiting for that attack to hit me.
For attacks, it's mostly just a matter of beefing up enemy HP to compensate (changing attack or defense is far more complicated to balance since this game uses a threshold damage system rather than percentage resistance); this keeps the combat fun, but lets enemies live long enough to fight back. Enemies are far more aggressive in Turbo, but it's also far easier to pin them down (though I consider this a plus), but you're generally just pinning one down at a time (there can be 3 enemies at a time, and the game tends to try and keep all 3 slots in use until you've totally cleared an area). I'll likely get Masterflow's Hard Mode imported eventually, which definitely leans in the bullet-sponge direction for enemies. I myself won't be messing with enemy stats (ignoring a minor tweak I made to the Mantis Ant tutorial fight if you have [Manual_Block] and/or [Turbo_Mode] enabled).maseter
, the patcher itself already calculates a new internal ROM checksum, but if you pick a combination of features that results in the 4th MB of ROM being unused, AND you let the Helper Script resize the ROM down to 3 MB, then the checksum won't be accurate (due to the brain-dead way the SNES ROM checksum works for non-power-of-2 ROM sizes). I added code to the Helper Script to adjust the internal checksum in the case that it resizes it down to 3 MB.