News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191018  (Read 76359 times)

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2019, 05:03:07 pm »
Okay, finally time for the first public release.

https://ufile.io/uegcv

That download should last for about a week. No frills since this is a release for testing, so no sfrom patch or boxart image, just the ZPS patcher, ZPS patch and other author's readmes. I'll write up a changelist in a bit. Need a drink.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:15:06 pm by Queue »

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2019, 07:31:49 pm »
Ok, i patched the restore title screen, desativated the clean aesthetic and patched it with relocalized, but when patch it with relocalized it does not desactivate the clean aesthetic and remains with the legalece desactivated

When you patch the thing to be the more closer to the japanese (Restore Warp Tile, Restore title screen, restore kettle kin, Safe save state) in the vanilla rom, the game crashes when you enter to the save/load menu
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:43:58 pm by Masaru »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »
Currently [Relocalized] overrides all title screen crawl text so [Clean_Aesthetic] only affects the TM on the main logo. This may or may not change depending on if there's enough space in [Relocalized]'s text crawl to re-insert the legalese.

Whoops, it's an issue with [Safe_Save_State] with that minimalist combination of settings. It'll be fixed for the next release.

For now, if you want to use [Safe_Save_State], you need the [Combat] or [Quality_of_life] sections turned on (even if all options within the section are disabled). When turning on a section but disabling all its features, be careful to not uncheck the !!_Inverted settings within that section (since unchecking !! features turns them on).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:05:47 pm by Queue »

Masaru

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2019, 08:21:47 pm »
i also discovered when you patch the things to decensore SoM in the vanilla version, the game dosen't passes from the naming menu because the game crash if you press start after naming your character
(But this only happens in the vanilla version, it does not happen with vwf+proper caser)

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2019, 09:35:37 pm »
If I turn off everything except
[Restore_Warp_Tiles]
[Restore_Title_Screen]
[Restore_Kettle_Kin]
I can get in-game and stuff works.

What else do you have turned on? So I can figure out what I messed up on. I know the checkbox list is pretty huge, but if you don't have too many enabled, listing them shouldn't be too bad.

Edit:
It looks like a missing dependency for the entire [[Bug_Fixes]] section, so I assume that's where that issue lies; like with [Safe_Save_State], for now, you can enable the [[Combat]] or [[Quality_of_Life]] sections to work around the issue until I spit out a revision. I tested a lot of combinations but I pretty much always used [[Combat]] and/or [[Quality_of_Life]] features, or was only testing other authors' integrated patches, so hadn't run into these issues. Thanks for reporting these.

Edit2:
Updated. Hopefully resolved the issues you found Masaru.
https://ufile.io/uegcv

Edit3:
Stuff added since I'd last written on the subject Feb 19th:
- Added double stamina regen as an option. For anyone curious, in vanilla SoM, when you perform an action that resets your stamina, it's (100 - agility) / 2 + 50 stamina that has to be recovered... I think... okay I'm going by memory and I've been looking at a lot of numbers lately, but that's probably right. This feature simply doubles how fast stamina is recovered after that "exhaustion" value is set.
- Split zhaDe's [Faster_Enemies] feature in half; faster decision making is now on by default while faster movement is off by default. The faster movement seemed to be screwy in some cases, and requires further testing.
- Split zhaDe's [Spell_NewEffects] into 4 separate options:
[Spell_Power_Tweaks]
[Extend_Buff_Time]
[Acid_Storm_-_Magic_Def_Down]
[Speed_Up_-_Faster_Recharge]
The patcher has full descriptions of each.
- Finished importing [Relocalized] v1.5.
- Implemented a fix for a hang when trying to open a ring menu for a party member that's offscreen. I forget if I mentioned this one already.
- Improved FastROM code. It's probably safe to use now regardless of emulator. Not sure how real hardware handles it.
- Jazzed up the NAS easter egg font.
- Modified the Mantis Ant tutorial slightly depending on if you have [Turbo_Mode] and/or [Manual_Block] enabled.
- Implemented 8-direction sword thrusts. Just a slight perk to differentiate the signature weapon.
- Shifted more boss rooms right.
- Further whip post fixes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:59:49 pm by Queue »

Masaru

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:54 am »
A feedback i could do for the next time is include a patch what restores the square legalece to be more closer to the original japanese release

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:54 pm »
Awesome work!  I'm really looking forward to taking the time to dive into this and enjoy a fresh playthrough, but I have to say that even just the new patching process is SO incredibly nice and makes combining all the patches I like to use for this game so much easier.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Public Beta 190304
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 02:10:20 pm »
Small quality of life experiment for the patcher: a helper script that deals with the "Finished !" modal dialog box, renaming the output SMC if left at the default (of patched.smc) and adds a minor noise when patching finishes.

You can also use the helper script to launch the patcher and auto-fill the "ZPS Patch" and "SNES ROM" fields, but the script is pretty janky in that regard and will probably fail on some computers due to timing / language differences / Windows version differences / etc. If it proves useful, I'll see about improving its reliability.

Also changed the [VWF_Edition] and [Relocalized] interaction so [Relocalized] will still be applied even if [VWF_Edition] is unchecked (previous behavior was to not apply [Relocalized] unless [VWF_Edition] was enabled).

Turbo Version 190304:
https://ufile.io/uk5dh
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:42:32 am by Queue »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 190304
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
A suggestion:

Better Default Text Boxes hack by Kethinov

The dialog boxes looked much better and would be a good differential for your hack.

And a question:

Your hack is compatible with 'Drop Table Balance' hack by Kethinov?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:37:46 pm by darthvaderx »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 190306
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:02 pm »
I'll be adding all of Kethinov's stuff into the Turbo patcher eventually, just hadn't gotten that far; started with the stuff I personally use and am expanding from there. It's also not always clear how much work incorporating an existing patch / hack / modification / whatever-term-you-like will be. For example, the three of Kethinov's I've included so far all need compatibility adjustments depending on if you're using the vanilla script, FuSoYa's VWF Edition or Timbo's Relocalized; while Kethinov's hacks provided compatibility with VWF Edition, they require modification to work with Relocalized.

Based on experience, my guess is "Better Default Text Boxes" and "Drop Table Balance" are fully compatible as-is, "Earlier Midge Mallet" and "Later Midge Mallet" will need fixups for Relocalized, and "No HP Restored At Level Up" will possibly need fixups (and the later three will probably break the game if applied to Relocalized as-is). I haven't actually torn into them yet though, those are just guesses.

Edit: Working on getting in a "Japanese Legalese" option, and adding compatibility for disabling [Clean_Aesthetics] to Relocalized; Timbo left me space to work with at the end of his modified text crawl so will be a piece of cake. :thumbsup:

March 06, 2019, 06:54:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 2019-03-06:
https://ufile.io/juej2

Added [Japanese_Legalese], Kethinov's [Better_Default_Text_Boxes] (and made it configurable so you can set which of the 8 styles is the default), implemented more [[Title_Screen]] features for [Relocalized], made [Turbo_Logo]'s uh, basically thread-safety more robust, made a file rename in the Helper Script more robust.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:42:42 am by Queue »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:00 pm »
I'm very excited to try this once I find some time to play a decent sitting. Congratulations on the beta release!

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 190307
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2019, 11:55:52 pm »
Thanks!

Version 2019-03-07:
https://ufile.io/votft

Added Kethinov's "No HP Restored At Level Up" and Regrs (?) "Super Change Form Boss Crash Fix" (in vanilla, level up Luna then go cast Change Form on a boss; it's a pretty exciting crash). Only three more Kethinov hacks to go!

Made [Magic_Recharging] recharge times configurable (in the Advanced Options menu), and also prettied up the Advanced Options menu. Renamed [Spirits_Default_Levels] to [Default_Spirit_Levels] and tweaked some option descriptions.

Made the Helper Script adjust ROM size after patching; if there's nothing in the 4th MB it will be truncated to a 3 MB ROM, and if there's also nothing in the 3rd MB, it will be truncated back to the vanilla 2 MB ROM size. So if you enable only FuSoYa's VWF Edition feature, the ROM will be 3 MB, for example.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:42:21 am by Queue »

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2019, 11:57:28 pm »
This is spectacular mate.

TamagoKakeZero

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2019, 02:05:56 am »
So excited to see this released. I played this through with two friends of mine who had never play SoM before and it was an absolute blast. Thanks a ton for all your hard work, Queue!

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2019, 03:41:06 pm »
I could use some help spotting bad map tiles; some examples:

The bottom two have been fixed in Turbo for a while, but I haven't gotten to the top two yet. Some are only visible if you use [Scroll_Hack] (or similar that let you see farther than vanilla), but some are mistakes visible in vanilla (like those bottom two examples).

I'm interested in any that are visible in vanilla or specifically with [Scroll_Hack]; [Centered_Camera] exposes issues that are practically unfixable, but [Scroll_Hack] isn't as extreme and I'd like it to be an always-acceptable option without running into graphical oddities. It'd be best if you have [Tidy_Map_Pieces] applied since I've already fixed a handful, so it'd save re-reporting something I already fixed, but I'll take any help I can get on this.

Screenshots with stuff circled (etc.) would probably be best. Please note that fixing maps in somedit isn't an option, so for anyone considering that, it's a nice thought, but the result is unusable.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:42:18 pm by Queue »

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2019, 03:55:36 pm »
I could use some help spotting bad map tiles; some examples:

Wow, you sure have a keen eye for detail!   :thumbsup:  I'm surprised these were in the original game.  Never noticed them before, ha ha.  I don't know much about the [Scroll_Hack] of which you speak, but seeing that there are gfx at all, beyond the default view, is really cool.   Interesting stuff!

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 190314
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 11:41:58 pm »
Dang, was hoping someone would be as nit-picky as me and round up some screenshots for me. Oh well.

Version 2019-03-14:
https://ufile.io/bu9qf

Changes (since 190307):
- Added an [[Audio]] section and moved some features to it
- Added a tiny bit of momentum to spear thrusts
- Changed MP HUD label graphic (if [Turbo_HUD] is enabled)
- Added Mop's [Seven_Items_Max] as an alternative to Masterflow's Nine; the 9 limit makes item save data incompatible with vanilla, while 7 is safe
- Added HUD portrait corners transparency hack; the sprite's portrait now has rounded corners like the boy's and girl's (also fixes pointy portrait corners for stuff like frostied, moogled, etc.)
- Tweak that keeps attack sounds from blocking themselves; e.g. fixes silent whip attacks
- Added BRK / COP handler, not important for the end user, but documenting it anyway
- Overhauled [Safe_Save_State]; hotkey combo is now start + select, shows a PAUSE label, and a state saved while the PAUSE label shows can be successfully loaded on a vanilla unmodified ROM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:42:10 am by Queue »

ChrisHighwind

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2019, 01:13:29 pm »
I can't remember if I played the March 3rd build or the March 7th, but one of those builds had an issue where the music sounded off. Has that been fixed in this new build?

EDIT: Nevermind, turning off FastROM fixed it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:27:10 pm by ChrisHighwind »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
I can't remember if I played the March 3rd build or the March 7th, but one of those builds had an issue where the music sounded off. Has that been fixed in this new build?

EDIT: Nevermind, turning off FastROM fixed it.
I've had someone else report this as well. Which emulator has this issue? Specific version info may be necessary to track this down, as it's been reported for variants of Snes9x, but the version of Snes9x I tested on sounded normal. Can you give more detail about what's wrong with the music? And yes, it's related to FastROM.

ChrisHighwind

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 02:21:39 pm »
I've had someone else report this as well. Which emulator has this issue? Specific version info may be necessary to track this down, as it's been reported for variants of Snes9x, but the version of Snes9x I tested on sounded normal. Can you give more detail about what's wrong with the music? And yes, it's related to FastROM.

I've played it on SNES9X 2005 on RetroArch Vita and SNES9X for 3DS, and both had the audio issue.

Of course, now a new bug is when I get the Unconscious status, my character gets right back up and I end up softlocked and unable to move until I reset the game.