News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200118  (Read 176390 times)

mrjane

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191127
« Reply #980 on: November 28, 2019, 12:36:53 pm »
This mod is amazing! My wife and I have been playing and loving the changes.

Quick question (sorry if I missed this somewhere), is there a reason I can only buy one of each arm piece? It keeps telling us we can't carry anymore after buying one.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 28, 2019, 01:55:24 pm »
Another problem I seem to run into, sometimes even tho the character icon shows that you equiped said item, you have to double check because the defense is zero and you have to re-equip it again.

This mod is amazing! My wife and I have been playing and loving the changes.

Quick question (sorry if I missed this somewhere), is there a reason I can only buy one of each arm piece? It keeps telling us we can't carry anymore after buying one.

Yeah it is intended that way with the Unique Equipment patch on, if you want to disable it.

I personally like that feature.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 28, 2019, 02:37:58 pm »
hmsong, yeah, and the stuff in bank 0x1C is organized very differently than other spell code and data. I'm happy I finally found something. I took a different, more brute-force (and inverted) approach to locate what was defining the colors during the high level Fire Bouquet animation: before I had been trying to follow spell code as it was told what spell to cast, then what animation type to use, then as it called the single-purpose code that does that specific high level animation, then as it parsed its way through that high level animation data structure, and so on; I instead cast the spell and paused the game, used a utility to get the colors of the Fire Bouquet flames and enemy palette, searched for those colors in the ROM, set a read breakpoint on that data to find the code that was using it, then worked my way backwards to find where the code got the address of those palettes (long story short, it had 16-bit pointers to the palettes rather than the palette index numbers the way normal spell animations do).

I've never been able to decide on the color... conceptually, I wish it was gray, and find brown to be an acceptable approximation that fits with the earth magic theme, but brown feels overused and brown isn't exactly a color I'd associate with something that looks like fire... the yellow and black clashes with other Gnome magic colors, but looks a little more magical and interesting.

The palette that applies to the target is an actor palette (15 colors), and is then rotated through its colors. The spell effect actually requires 3 sequential "item" palettes (5 colors each), where you specify the first and it uses the following two as well. Going through the item palettes, and finding 3 in a row that look good together, I made the following list:
'RAW   88   ' vanilla red, through 0x8D variations
'RAW   31   ' inverted teal
'RAW   53   ' dark yellow-green, 0x54 or 0x55 darker
RAW   7B   ' black to yellow
'RAW   82   ' blue
'RAW   98   ' bright yellow
'RAW   A4   ' orchid
'RAW   AD   ' muted teal
'RAW   B0   ' sky blue
'RAW   B8   ' black and yellow
'RAW   BB   ' purple
'RAW   BF   ' yellow and orange, through 0xC2 variations
I may have misnamed some colors. There are probably a few other values that produce bearable visual results.

Mr X, whoa, that status screen issue sounds pretty bad. I don't suppose you have a save available where it's happened that you could get me a copy of? I don't check the stats screen terribly often, and checking it on all the saves I have it doesn't seem to have occurred.

I'll look into the boomerang damage. I suspect it's something like the charge level getting cleared during the start of the throw instead of when the boomerang finishes returning. Do you happen to have noticed a problem with the other ranged weapons or is it just the boomerang?

And regarding the equipped armor, that's weird... I'll see if I can trigger that to track down the cause. I don't think anything I've done recently would be related to this one; can you recall if it's been a problem for a while or only recently?

mrjane, that's caused by Items\Unique_Equipment, which limits you to one of any given piece of equipment. While my recommendation is to give the game a shot with it enabled I do understand that not everyone likes the limitation.

I see it as providing multiple benefits, some of which aren't super obvious:
- forced equipment diversity (your characters aren't clones, gives purpose to some items that otherwise go unused)
- simpler equipment management (i.e. your inventory doesn't fill up with enemy drops, so you have to trash / sell less often)
- potentially less grinding for money to buy armor (especially at a key point in the game where a merchant sells a significant but expensive armor upgrade; now you only buy one set instead of three)

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 28, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »
Queue Any idea how do I upload save files here?

I'll look into the boomerang damage. I suspect it's something like the charge level getting cleared during the start of the throw instead of when the boomerang finishes returning. Do you happen to have noticed a problem with the other ranged weapons or is it just the boomerang?

I tested to make sure and that issue seems to be only with the Boomerang.

And regarding the equipped armor, that's weird... I'll see if I can trigger that to track down the cause. I don't think anything I've done recently would be related to this one; can you recall if it's been a problem for a while or only recently?

Yes this happened before too.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191128
« Reply #984 on: November 28, 2019, 04:01:47 pm »
Version 2019-11-28:
https://ufile.io/9cotrehd

Changes:
- Fixed Turbo_Mode interfering with boomerang charge attack damage
- Made Turbo_Mode cause most level 8 spells to not pause gameplay (a few still do, like the fancy fireball serpents)
- Added Balance\Spells_Pause_Gameplay, defaults to Off; makes all spells pause gameplay the way vanilla level 8 spells do (overrides Turbo_Mode doing the opposite)

I'd suggest just uploading to https://uploadfiles.io/ since you don't have to register or anything. There are surely other simple file upload websites, that's just one I happen to already be aware of. I don't think RHDN has any built-in means of attaching files for forum use.

Do you happen to know if the armor equipping issue happens in vanilla? Looking through the Turbo ZPS, I don't see anything touching item equipping code on purpose, but it's not impossible that it's a side effect of... something. Yeesh, trying to figure out where to begin tracking down this problem.

Edit: Added new version to this post.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:28:59 am by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 29, 2019, 01:18:48 am »
@Queue

Oh my god.  I wanted that Spells_Pause_Gameplay for so long now.  I was trying various things to no success, and therefore I had to give up.  And when I asked earlier (several months ago?), you made it clear that you didn't like the whole spell-causes-pause thing, so I figured you wouldn't make a patch like that (hence why I never asked you again to create it).  So thank you.  I shall play around with it.

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but would it be possible for you to make Speed Up spell also make the normal movement into Run? (temp, of course -- maybe make it ON if Acc/Eva buffs are active?)  Similar to [Run_When_Tired] + [Run_Freely] + [_Run_Requires_D-Pad] (this also allows instant 180 degrees turn that [Gradual_Turns_Only] disables).  That way, Speed Up will have somewhat decent merits (accuracy/eva buff seems to do very little, relative to Atk/Def boost), and it does the opposite of what Speed Down does (Speed Down makes the victims move slower, and possibly give Acc/Eva debuff).  It also allows Hit&Run much easier (hence fitting Speed Up).  I know it increases Stamina Regen, but after [Double_Stamina_Regen], I barely notice any Speed Up enhancement in stamina regen, so I thought making the players auto-run seems quite neat.  And Turbo Mode can benefit from this too, since it would change the normal movement speed, without having to turn around and press the Run button (assuming you're not using [_Run_Requires_D-Pad]).

I know I asked you back then about how player caster getting attacked during the casting would make the spell fail (the player caster will go through the motion, but the spell won't come out).  I obviously still want it, but am I asking too much?  My apologies if I presumed too much.

Looking at NekoWattsFortress v1.4 (from RHDN), the new codes seem to be:

Code: [Select]
@OFF $C841F6
RAW 9A

@OFF $C84D9A
RAW 2C 04 91 08 54 09

@OFF $C871F6
RAW 58

@OFF $C8C2AA
RAW 62 3E 40 53

@OFF $C8C358
RAW 15 AD 95 04 26 00 00 FF
@OFF $C8C360
RAW 00 0F 0E 8B 40 99 D7 41

The problem is, I don't know which existing ones to remove.  Well, some I do, but others I'm not entirely sure.  I hope you can use the above codes to update the patch in your ZPS file (the VWF/Relocalized part don't seem to change).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:12:58 am by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 29, 2019, 09:20:41 am »
Queue here it is:

https://ufile.io/wctxep5l

Check the Mandala save slot, the other 3 are different saves, see how the name at the mandala save also got shortened to just Q (the first letter).

Do you happen to know if the armor equipping issue happens in vanilla? Looking through the Turbo ZPS, I don't see anything touching item equipping code on purpose, but it's not impossible that it's a side effect of... something. Yeesh, trying to figure out where to begin tracking down this problem.

I don't remember that happening in the vanilla.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 29, 2019, 01:24:18 pm »
hmsong, when I finally figured out what was making all level 8 spells pause gameplay it was as easy to make it affect all spells as it was to disable it from affecting level 8 spells. Like most changes, the hard part is figuring out what to change. I stumbled across it while working on the high level Dust Flare animation.

Affecting player movement speed is surprisingly annoying. The level 9 weapon perk of full speed while charging was a pain in the butt to figure out. Running itself propagates to the AI heroes that are following the character you're controlling (and makes them stop what they're doing and follow) so simply making the run code "check for speed up buff" at the same place as "check for run button" would have the effect of making AI buddies useless until the buff fades. I might be able to figure something out, but it may be a while.

I actually want interruptable spells too, just haven't figured out how to make it happen.

I can tell you're excited to get that kethinov patch updated. What you ran into, needing to double-check what was added / removed, is certainly part of why I don't simply have all of his stuff imported / up-to-date. Changes to bank 0x08 need to be carefully checked for conflicts, and when I import them I try to avoid just treating them as raw bytes, since many of the values are 16-bit, or pointers, or part of an array element, etc. Anyway, thanks for converting that to ZPS syntax.

Mr X, I got the save, but all 4 save slots are in the Wind Palace, and none seem to be exhibiting the bug. Maybe this wasn't the correct save file?

I know for myself, I have multiple SNES emulators set up, and not all of them share the same save (.srm) folder; they'll all initially read from the same folder where I keep the ROM files and if any saves are in there they'll use them, but then will re-save to their own save folder after that, so I mix up the save files like crazy. I intentionally don't "fix" this though because I actually want different saves for different emulators.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 29, 2019, 01:51:01 pm »
Queue I am a retard. My bad, apparently that one had a space and was a different save file.

Here is a new link but this time it's still the second save slot but in wind palace (lvl 36)

https://ufile.io/dgpcusko

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 29, 2019, 02:00:00 pm »
No sweat. I already see the problem; the second character of the boy's name got overwritten with a value that's causing text rendering to abort (the value there is 0x01 which in event code just means do nothing, but as part of a name doesn't work correctly). I'm actually surprised that when talking to NPCs the name just shows as Q instead of Qza, because the "za" is still there after the bad value, but I guess the name loader itself chokes on a non-letter value as well. Now to figure out how that byte got there.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: November 29, 2019, 02:15:36 pm »
If it helps, that started to happen around the end of Kakara section, can't remember correctly if it was either right before the Minotaurus fight or after it (before heading to the Empire).

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 29, 2019, 03:17:08 pm »
Do you recall if you happened to have trashcan'd or at least changed equipment around that time? I thought I had fixed the equipment trashcan memory corruption bug (which is capable of overwriting player names) but it or something related that remains unfixed could be the cause.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 29, 2019, 03:50:00 pm »
Do you recall if you happened to have trashcan'd or at least changed equipment around that time? I thought I had fixed the equipment trashcan memory corruption bug (which is capable of overwriting player names) but it or something related that remains unfixed could be the cause.

Yes I did that during the kakara section but I am not sure exactly at what point of kakara.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 29, 2019, 05:26:27 pm »
Okay, I've got the bug located (it is almost 100% certainly due to sending equipped items to the trashcan), now to figure out how to fix it. Apparently I only fixed some circumstances with my previous attempt. There's a chance the missing equipment defense is somewhat related, since the code is basically losing track of what character and item to modify, so here's hoping I get that figured out.

If you're interested, your save can be "repaired" either by editing the .srm file (change offset 0x0404 from 0x01 to 0x81) or by using a cheat code in an emulator to set the second character of the boy's name (setting $7ECC01 to 0x81).

Like usual, thanks a ton for finding and reporting these things.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 29, 2019, 07:07:25 pm »
@Queue

Haha.  Yeah, I'm a bit excited to apply some of kethinov's patches to Turbo patch.  Lots of his patches are truly awesome.  Your package that contains everything, including kethinov's patches, is becoming closer to perfection, that I can't help but be excited.  That, and of course, I want to see Stardust Herb.

Just like what you did with Pygmy and Petrify, would you do anything with Frost SE?  I know Kethinov created something for that, but doing that sacrifices your Lv9 farmable sword orb, and I don't want that.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191129
« Reply #995 on: November 29, 2019, 09:04:38 pm »
Version 2019-11-29:
https://ufile.io/rdmo9358

Changes:
- Fixed Equipment_Trashing_Fix so that it should work reliably

Mr X, the fix to Equipment_Trashing_Fix possibly also dealt with the missing equipment defense you encountered; trashing items was potentially messing up the equipped state of other items. Let me know if you notice missing equipment stats going forward.

Also, holy smokes, I forgot how complicated this fix was, it took me quite a while to figure out how the fix had even worked in order to improve it; fundamentally it had been a mistake on my part.

hmsong, I don't currently have any plans to mess with Frosty. I know it's a bad status effect, but it's not inconceivable that some status effects would be worse than others. Someday I intend to fix the snowman animations at which point I'd consider doing something to it.

If I remember correctly, Frosty isn't spell targetable because the temporary transformation is into an NPC (not an enemy) and kethinov changes it to be the enemy snowman which is spell targetable. The snowman's animations are incomplete and if it plays a damaged animation (among others) it turns into a pile of glitchy graphics, which is probably why the vanilla snowman was made unattackable and why I don't want to mess with it at the moment (i.e. making it attackable risks the player getting vaporized if attacked while Frostied, etc.). I already had to add a safety for the vanilla Frosty issue where it can disable playable characters, introducing more possible bugs seems counterproductive.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 29, 2019, 09:39:32 pm »
Ah.

Well, I look forward to whenever that would become reality.

November 30, 2019, 09:38:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Hmm.  I'm just spit-balling here now, but how do you feel about just replacing an existing enemy for the Sword Orb dropping enemy? (basically replaces the new Snowman enemy).  The rarest enemy is Mimic Box (so much so that some people don't even know it exists, as you can't encounter it on the map), so you can use its sprite, slot, and behaviors.  The basic idea is:
1. Shape Shifter no longer spawns Mimic Box (it spawns another enemy -- Doom Sword?).
2. Mimic Box can only be found in the Mana Fortress (where Snowman used to be).
3. Mimic Box's rare drop is Sword Orb.
4. Mimic Box's stats are jacked up (all 99 stats with Mana Beast weapons and armor, which would make it take no damage nor flinch to anything players can throw at them), its element is FF (hence resists all elements), and it's immune to all SE except Change Form.

With this, you would no longer need to use the original Snowman enemy slot for the Sword Orb enemy, and therefore be open for the new Frosty SE "enemy".  There's still a problem with Snowman sprite vanish glitching upon damage though (how did kethinov do his new Frosty SE?  Or does his Frost SE glitch up?).

What do you think?  It's not perfect, but it's a starting option.  Sort of.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:38:47 am by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 30, 2019, 10:40:26 am »
Sometimes when the Girl is charging her attacks and I cast a spell of hers, she does nothing and stops moving.

This happened before the latest updates also.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 01, 2019, 06:29:45 am »
Hmm.  It would seem that Blaze Wall (Lv1 animation) uses color from Dust Flare.  I'm not sure which level of Dust Flare color it uses.

EDIT:  Okay, got it.  It's $D18F5D (that's what we initially thought controlled Dust Flare Lv3 animation color).  Simply deleting that fixes that problem.

EDIT2: Oh boy, I feel like I'm making too many requests now, but...
Assuming [_Burst_-_Health_Cost] is on, is it possible to make Burst not self-damage if the user is Dryad element? (which means only monsters get this benefit)  I was fighting Aegagropilon, and it basically chain-casted Burst until it killed itself (and for whatever reason, its Burst didn't damage me).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:11:54 am by hmsong »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 01, 2019, 10:14:48 am »
The Black Whip was inflicting the Balloon status sometimes besides being able to slow them down. Wonder if it was supposed to inflict the paralysis status instead or what's the deal?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:45:39 am by Mr X »