News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200118  (Read 171916 times)

kethinov

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191030
« Reply #880 on: November 05, 2019, 11:01:12 pm »
Hack updates:

Level 9 Weapons Progression Balance: Added "Level 8 Weapons Progression Balance" and "Mana Tree Grants Mana Sword" subvariant options to suit more modest tastes:

- Level 8 Weapons Progression Balance: Includes only the new axe and glove orb chests in the Underground City plus the new money chests.
- Mana Tree Grants Mana Sword: Includes only the changes that give you the 9th sword orb when the Mana Tree dies and the new money chests.
- Those two subvariants can be combined if desired.

Also bundled "Mana Magic Unequip Fix" by Queue, though refactored the code to use buffer space more efficiently.

Download: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4309/

Faerie Coconut: Reverted the Fierce Head rare drop back to Unicorn Helm. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4420/

More Useful Evil Gate: Removed multi-targeting damage penalty. Increased Gremlin and National Scar MP to max to compensate for increased spell cost of Evil Gate. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4513/

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 06, 2019, 12:04:21 am »
I think a better approach is to have him cast Fire Saber on everybody to match what Frost Gigas and Thunder Gigas do. Plus it'd be pretty neat to have early Fire Saber linger after the battle for a short time before you can actually cast it yourself.

I agree.  Having said that, Thunder Gigas target singles, not multiple (for all his spells).  Speaking of which, Thunder Gigas hit hard with his physical attacks (thunder breath?).  It does ~400 damage to my Lv99 Randi.

Also does anyone know of any regular enemies that cast a spell on all targets? I need an example to refer to in order to figure out how to get Hellfire-casting enemies to cast it on all targets.

I tried to find that when I was creating [enemy_behavior_change].  Sadly, I couldn't find it.  I tried using C2 and C3, but nope.

I'll send the whole thing (drop, shop, and menu icon) in one ips once I'm done.  I'm leaning towards Blue leaf (instead of green).  Unless I see a cool shade of green (shining green).

EDIT:  Okay, sent.  I tried the price editing (20 GP).  I hope it works.

November 06, 2019, 02:44:10 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@kethinov

Your new Lv8 Weapon Orb is perfect.  Thank you.  I tried to make my own, but I couldn't do it.  I still have no idea why.  So thank you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:44:10 am by hmsong »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 06, 2019, 03:29:44 am »
In Magical Herb, it clears the Wall flag via:
Code: [Select]
LDA+Y $E1B1
AND #BF
STA+Y $E1B1
Changing that #BF to #AF would make it also strip Lucid Barrier, but without zeroing out any remaining Lucid Barrier health which would cause issues with certain enemy AI (the ones that foolishly try and dispel you if you have any Lucid Barrier health). For that, you'd need to find space to also zero out $E1BD-$E1BE (and $E1BF if being thorough). $E1AE would need to be zero'd if you want it to strip Moon Energy.

How's this?

Magical Herb's current code:

A901     LDA #$01
99B7E1   STA E1B7,Y
99BAE1   STA E1BA,Y
99BBE1   STA E1BB,Y
99BCE1   STA E1BC,Y
B9FAE1   LDA E1FA,Y
0904     ORA #$04
99FAE1   STA E1FA,Y
B9B1E1   LDA E1B1,Y
29BF     AND #$BF ;Remove 'Wall'.
99B1E1   STA E1B1,Y
4C7355   JMP to item handler: Medical Herb

New Stardust Herb code:

A901     LDA #$01
99B7E1   STA E1B7,Y
99BAE1   STA E1BA,Y
99BBE1   STA E1BB,Y
99BCE1   STA E1BC,Y
B9FAE1   LDA E1FA,Y
0904     ORA #$04
99FAE1   STA E1FA,Y
B9B1E1   LDA E1B1,Y
29AF     AND #$AF ;Remove 'Wall' and 'Lucid Barrier'
99B1E1   STA E1B1,Y
A900     LDA #$00
99BDE1   STA E1BD,Y
99BEE1   STA E1BE,Y
99BFE1   STA E1BF,Y
99AEE1   STA E1AE,Y ;Remove Moon Energy
4C7355   JMP to item handler: Medical Herb [probably don't need this line because we don't want to remove negative status effects with the Stardust Herb]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:55:38 am by kethinov »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 06, 2019, 05:43:56 am »
Instead of a jump to $C05573, which is the Medical Herb code, you'll want to jump to $C0554C, which is the item function epilogue most item functions use (or you could also just directly use the same 4 instructions as it, the way the Moogle Belt function does instead; this costs 1 more byte than a 3-byte jump).

Also yes, that code looks correct; you'll need to relocate it 14 bytes (or 15 if you do the function epilogue instead of the jump) earlier in the ROM since it's packed into the end of some junk space.

Regarding monster spell targeting, I'm not sure non-boss monsters can ever have more than one target; they don't seem to use the same spell target variable(s) as the players who can, obviously, have 3 spell targets. Not sure how it works for bosses other than they can obviously multi-target.

zoolgremlin, Pacific Standard Time, though I keep scattershot hours.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:49:38 pm by Queue »

zoolgremlin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Steam Profile Name: keeperofcastlegreydusk
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 06, 2019, 09:42:02 am »
Queue:  Pacific Standard Time, though I keep scattershot hours.

Oh, how nice of you to tell me your timezone.  Thanks, I didn't think anyone would, besides hmsong.  Before I forget, I was fascinated to read your Icon Editing Guide, even though messing around with Icons or other graphics isn't on my to-do list right now.   8)

And now to report on my status:

First, I've being doing more charity work, and in between bouts of that I've been resting and reorganizing stuff on my PC's hard drive.  Got to eventually transfer a whole host of stuff to an external drive, to free up space.  I can say, however, that I finished separating my prototype mods into two ZPS files, with separate Documentation for each set.

Secondly, I put up a couple more Reviews for kethinov's Collection, still working my way down the list.  While doing that, it was necessary to go back and revise most of the others, due to errors in grammar, sentence structure, and a standardized header.

Lastly, I have Archived all Posts made in this Thread for offline reference, and in the extreme case that this Thread somehow goes bye-bye.  Unlikely any time soon, but it could happen.  Here's hoping it doesn't...  :(

The unfortunate thing is that no other work got done on the Documents, or my mods, for the last week or so.  I still have it in mind to do the AI-Documents for the Monsters hmsong mentioned, though it looks like he has already succeeded in making the changes he wanted.  Damn...   :-[

What a lucky ride it's been, bearing witness to this phenomenal Project.  Back soon, hope you all continue to be well.   :beer:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 09:53:55 am by zoolgremlin »
MASTER LINK:  Secret of Mana Information (Vanilla)

"Yes, the Author is indeed a horse!"  <zool>

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 06, 2019, 09:53:56 am »
I don't know what my standard time is, but I live in Korea, which is the same time as Japan.

zoolgremlin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Steam Profile Name: keeperofcastlegreydusk
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 06, 2019, 10:02:43 am »
@hmsong:  Good to see you again, I thought you might have retired for the night.  Yep, I checked the timezone for Korea.  You're an hour behind me, since my State doesn't have Daylight Savings Time.   :)
MASTER LINK:  Secret of Mana Information (Vanilla)

"Yes, the Author is indeed a horse!"  <zool>

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191106
« Reply #887 on: November 06, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »
Version 2019-11-06:
https://ufile.io/01lubsjb

Changes:
- Fixed Stone_Saber_-_Icon_Color (so that it actually works)
- Modified Lava Wave - Engulf to give the Fire Gigas Flame Saber (which he casts on the heroes); trying to change his offensive spell just kept making him more and more deadly, an early game boss doesn't need to be so difficult (I'll likely split this off as its own feature since he probably needs adjusting regardless of Lava Wave - Engulf)
- Modified Magical Herb to dispel Saber buffs and made it compatible with Comprehensive Dispel (in which case it also dispels Barriers and Moon Energy)
- Added Mech Rider 3 MP increase to Dust Flare per hmsong's request
- Added hmsong's Enemy_Stat_Changes
- Added hmsong's Enemy_Behavior_Changes (modified the compatibility conditions)
- Replaced kethinov's Easier_or_Harder_Monsters with Monster_Stat_Modifiers, which do their stat scaling at run time so should be compatible with other patches that change monster stats (such as the newly added Enemy_Stat_Changes); currently supports HP, MP, exp and gold but I'm open to suggestions on other stats to include (no, I'm not doing all of them because most don't matter)
- Reimplemented Mana_Magic_Unequip_Fix; no longer needs code space in bank 0x08
- Inactive Stardust Herb icon added

kethinov, upon reviewing Magical Herb, I noticed your original code (which I'd based my optimized variant on) had flaws (probably due to lack of STZ+Y instruction) that propagated forward in my rewrite. Namely, it wasn't clearing Saber buffs and was leaving some residual (but almost definitely harmless) Wall data. Assuming Stardust Herb and Magical Herb are mutually exclusive, I'd suggest writing them to 0x0037CB, which gives 0x35 bytes of space, which should be the max used by Stardust Herb with full dispel and inlined epilogue, where Magical Herb uses 0x28 once "fixed" without full dispel, and 0x34 with full dispel and jump to Medical Herb code.

LDA+Y $E1FA ' UPDATE_FLAGS
ORA #04 ' +weapon
STA+Y $E1FA ' UPDATE_FLAGS
LDA+Y $E1B1 ' MISC_FLAGS
AND #AF ' -wall -barrier
STA+Y $E1B1 ' MISC_FLAGS
LDA #01
STA+Y $E1B7 ' TIMER_ATTACK_BUFF_DURATION
STA+Y $E1BA ' TIMER_ACCURACY_BUFF_DURATION
STA+Y $E1BB ' TIMER_EVADE_BUFF_DURATION
STA+Y $E1BC ' TIMER_DEFENSE_BUFF_DURATION
'LDA #00
DEC
STA+Y $E19D ' SABER_SPELL_USES
STA+Y $E1B8 ' WALL_USE_COUNTER
STA+Y $E1BD ' LUCID_BARRIER_HIT_POINTS_LO
STA+Y $E1BE ' LUCID_BARRIER_HIT_POINTS_HI
STA+Y $E1BF ' LUCID_BARRIER_DEFENSE
STA+Y $E1AE ' WEAPON_BUFFS (Moon_Energy)
JMP $5573 '[ItemHandler_MedicalHerb]

I'll be posting a release today so you can also just wait to extract necessary data from a patched ROM or however you'd want instead, I don't know what process you prefer to get at patched data from my end.

Edit: Updated post with new release.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:27:03 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 06, 2019, 09:13:26 pm »
@Queue

Hot damn.  I forgot about doing that for [Enemy_Behavior_Changes].  You told me about that last time too.  Thank you for making the corrections.  I'm glad I have you to make the corrections.

Umm.  I'm hesitating to ask you this, because I feel like I'm being annoying.  Nevertheless... are you giving up on the color edit for Dust Flare Lv9 animation color?  I can only hope that you're not.

For everyone, please try out my [Enemy_Behavior_Changes] (which is best suited when used with [Enemy_Stat_Changes] and [Enemy_Element_Changes].  This is something that requires lots of trials and errors, and I would like some feedback.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 09:48:56 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 06, 2019, 09:42:29 pm »
Haven't given up, just don't want to spend all my time on it, so just pick away at it now and then. The handful of separate high level spell animations seem to work more-or-less completely differently than normal spell animations, so it's slow going trying to figure out how they work.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 06, 2019, 09:46:04 pm »
Oh thank you.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 07, 2019, 03:18:08 pm »
kethinov, while importing Echoey Matango Caves, a thought occurred: wouldn't it have been easier and cleaner to change event 7CD to play a different song and fix up event 231 to cope, rather than changing events 27D, 282, 286 and 287? You had to jump through hoops to get some of the events to play nicely with event 280, with 287 being especially deformed (not that I'm against hacky solutions).

I may be overthinking it, but still felt like sharing the observation.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 07, 2019, 05:50:44 pm »
How do you know which event is which?  I mean, I took a look at bank 0x0A (I think I'm looking at the right place), and some events are labeled, but most of the latter events aren't labeled.  So how would you know which event goes with which event?

The reason I ask is because a while ago, I tried to rearrange the orb drops from the bosses (Ancient City and on), but I didn't know which event goes with which.  It all started when I tried to make Buffy and Dread Slime drop Whip/Boomerang orb, since you don't have access to Terminator/Master Ninja until after Dread Slime.  But of course, then I would have to change the drops of the previous bosses.

But thanks to kethinov's recent ips, I now have access to the missing orbs before Mana Tree.  Still, I'd like to know, just so I can try this and that.

November 07, 2019, 09:31:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

@Queue

How about putting this in your Empire Castle Gate?  Well, it's more of replacing the thing that exists.  Since I'm one of the few who don't use Weapons Progression Balance patch, I figured I should do this part:

'[17F: Empire Castle Whip Orb]
@OFF $C8D5B0 ' orb chest
'RAW BC04 88 8D 00 EB 7446 ' whip
IF [Items]
IF Weapons_Progression_Balance
RAW BF04 88 8D 00 EB 7746 ' javelin
ENDIF x2
IF [Items]
IFNOT Weapons_Progression_Balance
RAW BF03 88 8D 00 EB 7746 ' javelin
ENDIF x2
IFNOT [Items]
RAW BF03 88 8D 00 EB 7746 ' javelin
ENDIF x1
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:22:49 am by hmsong »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 08, 2019, 01:02:22 am »
Updated hacks:

Neko and Watts in the Mana Fortress: Moved the last Neko to beyond the teleporter. Thanks to Queue for help with the music again. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4413/

Equipment Progression Balance: Grave Bats no longer drop Vampire Capes. Also moved the last Neko to beyond the teleporter. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4422/

Level 9 Weapons Progression Balance: This just incorporates the technical changes to the "Mana Magic Unequip Fix" code Queue just released. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4309/

Magical Herb: New animation. Also now dispels Lucid Barrier and Moon Energy. Thanks to Queue for help with some of the refactoring. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4426/

Wow, I wonder what everyone's timezone/waking hours are, since I didn't think anyone would be Posting 'til later.   :-\

I'm +10GMT (Australian Eastern Standard Time), and it's 12:04PM right now in my zone.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't expect myself to be awake right now, harhar...   :D

I'm in New York.

kethinov, while importing Echoey Matango Caves, a thought occurred: wouldn't it have been easier and cleaner to change event 7CD to play a different song and fix up event 231 to cope, rather than changing events 27D, 282, 286 and 287? You had to jump through hoops to get some of the events to play nicely with event 280, with 287 being especially deformed (not that I'm against hacky solutions).

I may be overthinking it, but still felt like sharing the observation.

I was concerned event 7CD might be called by a whole bunch of stuff, so I decided to leave it alone and merely edit the events in Matango Caves that call it rather than edit 7CD itself and then have to trace everything that called it.

How do you know which event is which?  I mean, I took a look at bank 0x0A (I think I'm looking at the right place), and some events are labeled, but most of the latter events aren't labeled.  So how would you know which event goes with which event?

The event system spans two ROM banks and has a pointer table at the top of each bank. Each event uses a series of event commands that are shorthands (or function calls) for more complex code, e.g. open textbox, print this text to it, etc. The basic idea is fairly straightforward, but it's only possible to make sense of an individual event if you know a good number of the event commands and how many bytes they take as arguments (or the command terminator in the case of something like printing text to textboxes that can have an arbitrary number of bytes follow).

The event numbers are based on the order the pointers appear in the pointer tables, labeled sequentially. So, for instance, event 001 is the second pointer in the pointer table. Its pointer points to the event directly after event 000.

The reason I ask is because a while ago, I tried to rearrange the orb drops from the bosses (Ancient City and on), but I didn't know which event goes with which.  It all started when I tried to make Buffy and Dread Slime drop Whip/Boomerang orb, since you don't have access to Terminator/Master Ninja until after Dread Slime.  But of course, then I would have to change the drops of the previous bosses.

But thanks to kethinov's recent ips, I now have access to the missing orbs before Mana Tree.  Still, I'd like to know, just so I can try this and that.

One of the original premises I had when working on Level 9 Weapons Progression Balance was making Buffy and Dread Slime drop weapon orbs since they're the only two bosses in the game that don't and there are conveniently two "missing" orbs (axe and glove), so it seemed like that would line up nicely. I did figure out how to do it, but while working on that, it occurred to me that a deeper problem is that orbs are so backloaded to begin with. 11th hour power hours suck. And exiting the Fortress to forge weapons sucks even more.

When I dug deeper, I realized the original programmers probably intentionally did not want any "required" or "obvious" orbs in the Mana Fortress. They programmed in the level 9 weapons mainly as a bonus or Easter Egg, given that they are rare drops. They weren't meant to be farmed. If you farm them all in vanilla, you'll reach level 99 on all your characters before getting them all. But the two "missing" axe/glove orbs were a legit bug. They were always meant to appear in Underground City. Two chests—one for axe, another for glove—are in the vanilla ROM's spawn table in Underground City, but were mistakenly set to spawn inside of walls. Some clever people using NoClip managed to walk into walls to get them in the vanilla game—there are references to this in other forums, but they were otherwise inaccessible.

Anyway, I ultimately concluded it would probably not be a good idea to make Buffy and Dread Slime drop those two orbs because they really should spawn in the spot where the original programmers clearly intended them to be: Underground City. As such, I think it's reasonable to respect their original intentions by keeping Buffy and Dread Slime orb-free. But I agree it feels a bit odd that they break the pattern of bosses always giving orbs, so that's part of why I wanted to give them different music in "Different Boss Music for Buffy and Dread Slime" so they at least have something unique about them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:10:27 am by kethinov »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 08, 2019, 02:13:40 am »
@kethinov

Wow, you covered almost all the things I mentioned before with your new patches.  Awesome.

I sent you an email, but Stardust Herb (and therefore probably Magical Herb) doesn't completely dispel Lucid Barrier -- it has one hit left.  Maybe that's due to high level of Lucid Barrier (I used Lv7).

Well, it certainly wouldn't make sense that Buffy/Dread Slime dropping Glove/Axe orb, because both Fiend Head and Wolf Lord (they drop the Axe/Glove orbs) are available BEFORE fighting the two bosses -- and that can lead to orb overload reset (ex: if you have all 9 Axe orbs, then kill one of the bosses that drop the Axe orb, then the orbs would overload and reset).  However, if they were to to drop Boomerang/Whip orb, then it would be fine, since the enemies that have those orbs (Ninja Master and Terminator) aren't even available before killing both of those bosses.  But of course, the bosses that had those orbs in Pure Land/Grand Palace (Hexas/Blue Dragon) need to have the Glove/Axe orbs instead (otherwise, you'd have 9 whip/boomerang orbs, and 7 glove/axe orbs).

I'm not complaining that the Glove/Axe orbs are available in Underground City though.  I like it.  A lot.  I just wanted to mess around with the orb drops from the bosses, for my own amusement.

Btw, I noticed this while testing things with Stardust Herb -- even in vanilla, Dispel Magic "heals" Sleep SE.  And naturally, Stardust Herb/Magical Herb also heals Sleep SE.  Very interesting find.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 08, 2019, 02:44:55 am »
I sent you an email, but Stardust Herb (and therefore probably Magical Herb) doesn't completely dispel Lucid Barrier -- it has one hit left.  Maybe that's due to high level of Lucid Barrier (I used Lv7).

Fixed that. 1.3 update to Magical Herb: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4426/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:21:12 pm by kethinov »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 08, 2019, 09:03:17 am »
According to the document of Magical Herb 1.3, it is not compatible with Stardust Herb.  Why would that be the case?  It uses different slot, right?

I know Stardust Herb is not compatible with Faerie Coconut since they share the same slot.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 08, 2019, 12:35:23 pm »
The item handler code was written to the same block of memory as Magical Herb. It is technically possible to make Magical Herb and Stardust Herb compatible, but it would be a fairly big waste of limited buffer space for the few (to none?) people who would want to combine them for some reason.

Presently, the available combinations look like this:

1. Medical Herb (dispels negative status effects) + Faerie Coconut. (Vanilla + Faerie Coconut.)
2. Medical Herb (dispels negative status effects) + Stardust Herb (dispels positive status effects). (Vanilla + Stardust Herb: This is Timbo's WoB proposal.)
3. Magical Herb (dispels positive and negative status effects) + Faerie Coconut. (My preference and Queue's.)

It's unclear why anyone would want:

4. Magical Herb (dispels positive and negative status effects) + Stardust Herb (dispels positive status effects only making it rather redundant compared to the more useful Magical Herb if both were in the same ROM).

But if some sudden upsurge of demand emerged to make them compatible for some reason, it could be done.

Speaking of which, Stardust Herb is available to play now: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4781/

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:19:11 am by kethinov »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 08, 2019, 02:53:15 pm »
Just a quick post, but an annoying one since it's about a likely mistake, both herbs still aren't dispelling Saber buffs correctly; need to double check in-game but I'm pretty sure if they impart an elemental proc, an herb dispel won't strip that.

I was adapting Comprehensive_Dispel to work without Spell_System_Extensions, and noticed a difference between dispel and the herb code, and it's not a trivial fix (need to copy the Y register to X long enough to call $C04530 to let it recalculate the target's weapon element procs, and probably need to restore X afterward). I expect it'll cost a minimum of 5 bytes to fix.

I won't be able to test if this is indeed a problem, nor write any code, until this evening at the earliest. If someone else wants to check for the issue sooner, just use a Saber buff with an elemental proc (like say Flame Saber) then dispel the character with an herb and see if they still proc (e.g. Engulf).

Edit: And when importing Harder Final Boss 1.2, I spotted something wrong with the patch to Mana Beast code at 0x0293D0. Looks like instead of writing... honestly not totally sure what the exact plan was, but instead the 24-bit address ($C293D0, in big-endian order) is written there which results in garbage code. I haven't tested to see if it crashes but if it doesn't, it's a lucky miracle.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:10:13 pm by Queue »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 08, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »
I just tested it out for you and when I used a magical herb to dispel flame saber, the engulf proc would not trigger. So that looks to be working properly.

Question, does your night/day cycle tie into the areas you can revisit? I think it was early morning lighting and I revisited the goblin village and it looked like normal day lighting.