News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210329  (Read 486229 times)

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210226
« Reply #1920 on: February 27, 2021, 07:00:17 pm »
Would need more info regarding that possible boss arena. Don't know if those are just map pieces or if there's a map associated with them, what map number / map piece numbers are involved, etc.

For the scenario you describe:
- Adding grandpa to the sprite village will mean removing an NPC from some adjacent (in data, not physically adjacent) map.
- The connector rooms would need to be taken from the underground palace, not copied; there's no free lunch.
- Changing the axe beak arena to the palace interior tileset would be a pretty huge project; you don't just change tileset numbers, tiles don't match up between most tilesets. You'd recreate it to have the same layout (so it's basically the same work as building a map from scratch, but would probably provide enough space for the replacement room's data).
- The rest of what's proposed wouldn't be that crazy, mainly event changes. Still many hours of work though.

SnesFaust

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 27, 2021, 09:10:38 pm »
Would need more info regarding that possible boss arena. Don't know if those are just map pieces or if there's a map associated with them, what map number / map piece numbers are involved, etc.

- Adding grandpa to the sprite village will mean removing an NPC from some adjacent (in data, not physically adjacent) map.
- The connector rooms would need to be taken from the underground palace, not copied; there's no free lunch.
- Changing the axe beak arena to the palace interior tileset would be a pretty huge project; you don't just change tileset numbers, tiles don't match up between most tilesets. You'd recreate it to have the same layout (so it's basically the same work as building a map from scratch, but would probably provide enough space for the replacement room's data).
- The rest of what's proposed wouldn't be that crazy, mainly event changes. Still many hours of work though.

This reminds me of a list of my own recommendations. However, I'm doing my own research into what it takes to make changes to SOM and the learning curve is quite steep for a newbie like myself. "No free lunch" describes it best. 

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 27, 2021, 09:27:11 pm »
While I'm at it, regrs was able to reconstruct a deleted boss arena map:

http://i.imgur.com/pWogd4H.png

Could that be the lost Wind Palace fight?

Or the lost Moon Palace fight.

ManaRedux

• View Profile
    • Secret of Mana: Redux
« Reply #1923 on: February 27, 2021, 10:05:31 pm »
Or the lost Moon Palace fight.

I am not aware of remnants of any Moon Palace fight.  With the Wind Palace, we have snippets of things here and there.

For regrs, he doesn't say:

Code: [Select]
2) There's somewhere between 4 & 6 mostly deleted maps. All that remains is some object data and its incorrectly formatted and contains gaps make it hard to tell exactly how many maps were removed. One appears to belong to the Pure Lands. It just repeats some scrambled mess of a set piece a few times. The scrambled piece is contained near others relating to the Pure Lands.

The second one appears to be yet another version of the Palace Arena Boss map (I'm noticing a pattern with this map...). Using the remaining data I messed around with SoMEdit for a bit and created a mockup of what the map probably looked like. I guessed at a palette.

Though I could try to ask him on Discord. 

I figured with all the unused maps in the game, that data could be overwritten on those and something copied in, but I know so little about that stuff.

An unrelated note from Regrs:

Also at some point you were supposed to acquire Dryad’s magic before trekking though the Palace instead of after. The room list contains a dummied out room at the end of the other 7 elemental spirit rooms. (Though if you force it to load in game it’s just a copy of the small empty Grand Palace room). Additionally there is an Event Flag & Event reserved for the missing Dryad Crystal Orb. It plays out the same as the rest of them and gives the “Heard a distance sound…” message but has no other effect since no objects in the palace are tied to that flag.

For more weirdness, all 8 event flags (including the unused Dryad one) that control the state of the crystal orbs are also tied to 8 unused events for 50 GP Treasure Chests.

Finally there might have been as many as 7 more maps in the sand filled area of the Grand Palace. This is mostly pure guessing as all I have to go on is the map order and there are 7 unused maps between the last Grand Palace map and the next used one. But the maps at the end of the list are all out of order and just thrown in randomly so it’s possible they could have been anything.

His first sentence is incorrect; you do have Dryad's magic in the Grand Palace.  Though I always wondered why there was no Dryad orb room.  He mentions elsewhere that the Tree Seed is unsealed as a separate event than the other seven being unsealed (it's actually sealed like any other Seed, though you don't get to it before the Emperor does).  Perhaps at some point, the sequence where the Tree Seed is broken came later and you acquired Dryad after this section of the Palace. 

All of these come from the GameFAQs thread we've looked at before: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588646-secret-of-mana/69150657

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 28, 2021, 10:32:16 am »
Honestly if the devs really had to cut content, I always wondered why not just flesh out the 4 main elements more instead of having 8 non fleshed out properly elements. Remove Moon/Tree/Light/Dark palace, flesh out the 4 other four palaces more (especially Water/Earth/Wind palaces), would also reduce useless spells from the spirits this way also. I guess maybe their deadline was that close that this is all they could do in a short amount of time, instead of reconstructing things from pretty much the scratch with the realization they can't fit in everything as they planned originally.

Sorry if it's a bit off topic.

ManaRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: February 28, 2021, 10:56:26 am »
Honestly if the devs really had to cut content, I always wondered why not just flesh out the 4 main elements more instead of having 8 non fleshed out properly elements. Remove Moon/Tree/Light/Dark palace, flesh out the 4 other four palaces more (especially Water/Earth/Wind palaces), would also reduce useless spells from the spirits this way also. I guess maybe their deadline was that close that this is all they could do in a short amount of time, instead of reconstructing things from pretty much the scratch with the realization they can't fit in everything as they planned originally.

Sorry if it's a bit off topic.

Hiromichi Tanaka was excited about having elements like the ones you speak of, because they went beyond the usual fire/earth/water/wind trope at the time.  Mana lore has eight elements, and it was probably important that all eight made an appearance in SoM.  The palettes exist for a Dark Saber and Tree Saber so it's possible those were cut, and note that Shade and Lumina are only available to one character.  I agree that some spells are seldom used, but compare this to a game like Final Fantasy VI and you'll see that it's elegant in comparison.

As far as cut content, literally nothing can be found on this section of the game, so I imagine it was among the last to be finalized.  The Tree Palace/Underground City/Grand Palace scenario is a mass graveyard of ideas and threads that had to be ironed out.  Wild speculation:

Palace of Darkness - I think this is more or less what it was going to be, though the World Map indicates grand plans for the Lofty Mountains.  You weren't just supposed to walk out of Mandala directly to the Palace.

Light Palace - Lumina's speech indicates that Gold City would...degold over time.  There was also a planned exterior to the city that was left out.

Moon Palace - Probably more stops on Karon's ferry.  The Palace is explicitly a planetarium, though I would imagine it was more of a maze based on Karon's line.

Tree Palace/Grand Palace - Where to start...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:56:56 pm by ManaRedux »

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 28, 2021, 11:36:54 am »
Hiromichi Tanaka was excited about having elements like the ones you speak of, because they went beyond the usual fire/earth/water/wind trope at the time.  Mana lore has eight elements, and it was probably important that all eight made an appearance in SoM.  The palettes exist for a Dark Saber and Tree Saber so it's possible those were cut, and note that Shade and Lumina are only available to one character.  I agree that some spells are seldom used, but compare this to a game like Final Fantasy VI and you'll see that it's elegant in comparison.

Makes sense. Don't even get me started on FF spells haha

As far as cut content, literally nothing can be found on this section of the game, so I imagine it was among the last to be finalized.  The Tree Palace/Underground City/Grand Palace scenario is a mass graveyard of ideas and threads that had to be tangled up.  Wild speculation:

Palace of Darkness - I think this is more or less what it was going to be, though the World Map indicates grand plans for the Lofty Mountains.  You weren't just supposed to walk out of Mandala directly to the Palace.

Would make sense especially regarding the Sage Joch, always thought you had to gain something out of that in the end, one way or other making your characters stronger.

Moon Palace - Probably more stops on Karon's ferry.  The Palace is explicitly a planetarium, though I would imagine it was more of a maze based on Karon's line.

Would have been an interesting take.

ManaRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 28, 2021, 01:40:07 pm »
Yet another thing I discovered today.  The official Japanese guide for the game's monsters lists almost all of the broken boss attacks, so it looks like they were still trying to get them working very late, as this guide was released in August of 1993 when the game was released in Japan.  It has the snake you fight in the Pure Land between Kettle Kin and whatever the second Biting Lizard is called, so it seems that boss was moved to the Pure Land from a lost Grand Palace area at the last minute. 

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 28, 2021, 03:26:54 pm »
Yet another thing I discovered today.  The official Japanese guide for the game's monsters lists almost all of the broken boss attacks, so it looks like they were still trying to get them working very late, as this guide was released in August of 1993 when the game was released in Japan.  It has the snake you fight in the Pure Land between Kettle Kin and whatever the second Biting Lizard is called, so it seems that boss was moved to the Pure Land from a lost Grand Palace area at the last minute.

If he was planned to be a Grand Palace Boss then there was probably gonna be a proper earth themed Dragon in Pure Land with another earth and ice non dragon boss. Or maybe just an ice themed boss before the White Dragon.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210301
« Reply #1929 on: March 01, 2021, 08:15:16 pm »
Version 2021-03-01:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.210301.zip

Changes:
- fixed a mistake in Bug_Fixes\Ring_Menu_Error_Message that allowed using the Flammie Drum in locations where it was meant to be disabled
- implemented Text\Equipment_Stats, press Dash (aka Run, default A) when you have a weapon or armor selected in a ring menu to get a concise stat readout; see the feature entry in the patcher for an explanation of what the single-letter abbreviations stand for (e.g. P = Petrify, X = Poison, etc.)

Finally made an in-game item stats display of sorts. Can't say I totally love it, but it's definitely better than nothing.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 01, 2021, 10:45:48 pm »
Wow, I was not expecting the equip stats in the menu.  I remember bringing that up at some point in the past, and I remember you saying you'd like to get to that, but I figured that it was a low priority.  Congrats.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:43 am »
Technically it's always been high on my list of stuff I want to do, but it's so absurdly annoying and un-fun to pull off that I kept scrapping it. This one that at least was releasable still isn't how I want it to work: I'd rather it be a separate UI window, maybe hanging down on the left or right screen edge. But guess what? That's easy to say, but difficult to actually do. I've tried a few different approaches (over the past year, but also recently) to make that work before throwing it all out and going with how it works now.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 02, 2021, 01:26:58 am »
Technically it's always been high on my list of stuff I want to do, but it's so absurdly annoying and un-fun to pull off that I kept scrapping it. This one that at least was releasable still isn't how I want it to work: I'd rather it be a separate UI window, maybe hanging down on the left or right screen edge. But guess what? That's easy to say, but difficult to actually do. I've tried a few different approaches (over the past year, but also recently) to make that work before throwing it all out and going with how it works now.

Yikes.  Still, just the fact that you were able to make this work in automatic way (I assume description changes if the equipment stats change) is really impressive.  I can see why you're unsatisfied, since the descriptions aren't self-explanatory, but still.  Great work.  Thanks.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 02, 2021, 01:41:43 am »
Quote from: hmsong
...to make this work in automatic way (I assume description changes if the equipment stats change)...
Correct. And I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the armor stats because I totally forgot about a couple of your modified armor element resists (like fire resist on the Ruby Armet).

I designed it flexibly enough that I could use it to show info for spells (or some sort of info for any ring menu icon) but ran out of time (and motivation) to do more with it. I also wanted to have it show the next weapon's stats at the reforge menu, but didn't get that working either.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 02, 2021, 03:26:56 am »
I also wanted to have it show the next weapon's stats at the reforge menu, but didn't get that working either.

Holy Christ.  THAT sounds extremely complicated.

March 05, 2021, 05:35:22 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Say, does anyone know how to "view" what the xdelta file changes when patched?  For the ips files, I use IPS Peek to see what it changes, but I have no idea what to do with xdelta.  I mean, I suppose I can just patch the rom with xdelta, then make a ips file using Lunar, but I don't want to really do that.  Any idea?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:35:22 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: March 05, 2021, 02:35:32 pm »
I'm not aware of any xdelta change viewer. The reason those utilities exist for IPS files is IPS files are incredibly simple and contain all data-to-be-written within them. Either patching the file, then directly comparing the original and patched files with a hex comparison utility, or patching, generating IPS, then viewing that IPS, are probably your two options for figuring out what changes an xdelta patch makes.

An xdelta patch viewer would probably need to load the unmodified file, load the patch file, then simulate applying it and output what changes it's making as it reads through the patch file. It wouldn't be the simplest utility to make.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 05, 2021, 07:15:56 pm »
Hmm.  Do you know any decent hex comparison utility?  There seems to be a lot available in google, and I don't know which is good.

zeteginara

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 09, 2021, 03:18:25 am »
Seems to be a bug in the latest version.

After returning from the ruins in the empire (after fighting Satan's wall and the Vampire). Returning to the coffee shop and triggering the cutscene with Krissie causes the game to glitch out.  At the end of the dialogue when Krissie says "Okay, we'll go" she steps forward, and the text box glitches out and remains halfway open and discolored.  You still can't get into the castle, and the cutscene triggers and glitches every time you reenter the coffee shop.

Would appreciate a workaround if anyone can find one, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 09, 2021, 06:03:49 am »
hmsong, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions.

zeteginara, I went and tested that event with both Reborn and Relocalized (the two that rename that boss to "Satan's Wall") and it worked, so there's something breaking that event (as opposed to it being inherently broken).

Can you post your Turbo config file (SoM Turbo.######.ini)? Either here within [spoiler][/spoiler] tags, or to a text file host like pastebin.com. It's basically just a text file, open it with something like Notepad.

What you describe sounds like something is overwriting part of the event and causing it to break but there's nothing on my radar that should be conflicting, so will need to get more info to get this figured out.

As for a workaround, if you're using an emulator that lets you directly edit memory, change 7ECF32 to 03 and 7ECF34 to 00 to properly skip that event. You could likely use cheat codes of 7ECF3203 and 7ECF3400, turned on briefly, then back off, to change the necessary event flags.

zeteginara

• View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 09, 2021, 07:45:32 pm »
Realized I'm using a slightly old version, so not sure if the issue still exists.

If you can't duplicate it with that INI, PM me, and I can send you as much as I can.

Spoiler:
[{unknown}]
V210128=1
[Combat]
{Combat}=1
Turbo_Mode=1
Strong_And_Weak_Attacks=1
_Alternate_Attack_Set=0
Faster_Charging=1
Double_Stamina_Regen=1
Full_Percentage_Damage=1
Manual_Block=1