- Renamed zhaDe's Quality_of_Life\Faster_Chest_Opening to Fastest_Chest_Opening, and reduced the wait after the chest opens slightly further; note that Fastest is off by default
- Implemented a new Quality_of_Life\Faster_Chest_Opening, which replaces the slow vanilla shake-and-throw animation with a fast new kick-in-the-junk animation; this was way more complicated to create than it sounds, give it a whirl and see if you like it more than the old boring Faster_Chest_Opening
- Added the static Treasure Chest to Graphics\Manicured_Monsters, hiding the sliver of shadow that peeked out from static chests
- Added the Boomerang to Graphics\Polished_Weapons, which means it no longer shows in your hand while it's currently thrown
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Consistent_Shadows, which prevents palette effects on the boy from affecting all shadows on screen (those under all players / enemies / bosses / NPCs / chests); like the new Faster_Chest_Opening, way more complicated to make happen than would be expected
- Added 5 more overlooked function calls to FastROM
- Fixed a palette bug in the rain of arrows attack that's part of Combat\Strong_And_Weak_Attacks, easiest to witness in the early area where you pull the sword from the stone
- Made Miscellaneous\Functional_Fashion's specialized poison palette loader recolor player hair in addition to their skin
- Added the girl's pygmy form to Graphics\Retouched_Characters, fixed a few girl palette inconsistencies and further refined her graphics (missing or discolored pixels, etc.)
There is a chance that the new Faster_Chest_Opening will cause something somewhere to have a messed up frame of animation: I used what appeared to be an unused animation frame (possibly related to the Tropics stove, but not valid for the stove) for the new chest opening animation for static chests, and as far as I know it's unused, but I haven't done a full playthrough to verify. So keep your eyes peeled; it'd be something that's composed of 4 16x16 tiles, I think in a square (so 32x32), basically two of the boy standing side-by-side in size.
Nearly everything in this update was crazy complicated to implement, despite how simple the features seem, but fingers crossed that it's bug free.
, I think you're describing forcing your way up one-way slopes that push you by using attack animations? That's more-or-less vanilla behavior (it's easier to do with Combat\Strong_And_Weak_Attacks, but not impossible without it), and never results in anything that breaks the game as far as I know. In the case of Magic\Early_Luna, getting past a sand slope in the desert to reach the Moon Palace early is the intended result. If you think you've found somewhere problematic, where going the wrong way can get you stuck or break the game, don't hesitate to point it out.lightninghunter
, the music is
supposed to stop after defeating the Great Viper. I just did a quick test both vanilla and with Turbo and the music stopped after his defeat. Did you get the Sword Orb message after he was defeated? Note that if not the next Sword Orb chest will let you open it twice so you won't be behind forever. I'm suspecting you ran into another obscure bug, this one vanilla: basically, if you step on a door / exit tile on the same frame (or something like that) a boss-is-defeated event triggers, the tile's event can interfere with the defeat event. It's on my list to get fixed, but have never gotten to it. I'd actually recently got the boilerplate for that bug added to the ZPS file but hadn't put in any real work on it yet (if you search the ZPS file for "Defeat_Waits_For_Events" you'd see a hidden checkbox and empty .asm section for it). I'm hoping a solution will work like the Flammie Drum + Event fix where I can have the boss defeat event wait to start if there's an event currently in progress.