News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200920  (Read 345247 times)

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200312
« Reply #1240 on: March 19, 2020, 12:32:24 am »
At a glance, the following:
@OFF Spell.Text.Exploder ---------------vanilla
should be
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder ---------------vanilla

Also, you should be using SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.1 (or 2,3,4,etc.) instead of SSE.Text.Extended.Black.4.1.

SSE.Text.Extended.Black.4.1 is intended for use with SSE.Name.Extended.Black.4.1, SSE.List.Extended.Black.4.1, SSE.Data.Extended.Black.4.1, etc. as a set, for a new NPC spell.

The SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.* are specifically available (and more numbers can be added) when more space is needed to change a spell name or description.

Black Hex doesn't need REQ [Magic] or REQ Spell_System_Extensions because it has them already by being a sub file under SSE:
&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions
REQ [Magic]
REQ Spell_System_Extensions
FILE <Black_Hex>
And so...
&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions\Black_Hex
...has its parent feature's REQuirements in addition to whatever else it specifies explicitly (via more REQ's).

Also, how do I make this patch get ignored if either Useful Evil Gate or Hellfire is ON?
I'm not sure yet what the best approach is, since you said you wanted Black Hex to overwrite the NPC Evil Gate. If you don't still want that, then it's easy enough:
&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions\Black_Hex
REQ _Black_Hex_-_Replaces_Evil_Gate
IF Hellfire_-_Replaces_Exploder
REQ FALSE
ENDIF
IF Evil_Gate_-_More_Useful
REQ FALSE
ENDIF

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 19, 2020, 03:24:09 am »
Ohh.  Okay, gottya.  Btw, Thunder Saber Confuse and Light Saber Balloon are using SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.1 and 2, so I probably can't use those, right? (3 doesn't seem to be in use)  Or are those just one-time thing, and therefore can be overwritten without consequence?

Ahh.  So SSE already implies multiple different things.  Nice.

It's true that I wanted Black Hex to overwrite NPC Evil gate, but with the way I set things up for Enemy Spell Change, I think I got that covered (assuming Black Hex is ON).  Specifically, if people enable NPC Evil Gate, then the enemies would use Evil Gate (while you can still use Black Hex), but if they disable NPC Evil Gate, then the enemies would use Black Hex too.  At least, that's my intention.  I hope I didn't mess things up.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 19, 2020, 04:32:46 am »
Use number 3. Each thing needs to claim its own number, but like I mentioned, more numbers can be added if we ever use up all 9 that are already enumerated.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 19, 2020, 06:08:04 am »
Gottya.  Also, I assume you're using SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.1 and 2 for Thunder/Light Saber description.  If I were to do this for Spell Balance Overhaul:

Code: [Select]
IF REQ Light_Saber_-_Balloon
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Desc.Light_Saber
ADR.16 SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.4 <<------ I'm using 4, since 1, 2, and now 3 are all taken
@OFF SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.4
TEXT _ 3
ENDIF x2

Would that overwrite SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.2's front part?  Or would I need to do this to overwrite?:

@OFF SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.4
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^I m b u e_ \n w \ea p on s_ w it h _ ^L ^I ^G ^H ^T _ & _ ^S ^T ^U ^N \0

Or would it overwrite at all?

EDIT:  Well, I tested it.  The 1st method doesn't work, but 2nd method seems to work.  Yay.  Btw, what's the character limit for these extensions?  36 was the longest in vanilla, I think.

March 19, 2020, 09:19:51 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Damn.  It seems that when I use SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.3 for the name extension, I can't switch names.  Does that mean that the only way to have the correct names would be for me to manually change names? (instead of switching)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:26:16 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200319
« Reply #1244 on: March 19, 2020, 07:29:49 pm »
Version 2020-03-19:
https://ufile.io/ob3p9lo9

Changes:
- Rewrote Text\Skill_Screen_Spaces from scratch to fit in-place
- Added Swap_Up_and_Fly_Hotkeys as a sub-feature for Enhanced_World_Map, Off by default
- Added hmsong's more verbose Relocalized spell descriptions for Thunder_Saber_-_Silence
 and Light_Saber_-_Balloon
- Further improved Enhanced_World_Map's replacement flight hotkeys; now filters out conflicting inputs (up + down, left + right + L + R, ascend + descend)
- Fixed a sometimes off-by-one math error in the top-down backward flight animation code
- Cleaned up lots of world map colors so that the maps more accurately reflect the world tiles (and just look better in general; the changes are hard to spot without a reference to compare to, but they're actually significant)
- The map color changes make icebergs visible on the flat world map
- Slight tweaks to some world tile graphics to reduce blockiness at water to shore transitions
- Made the "gold" houses in Kippo and Turtle Shell Isle not shimmer
- Updated the fast flat world map to reflect world adjustments, but it's still not dynamic

hmsong, I added an %OFF% macro to hopefully make text overwrites easier. Check how it's used in Spell_Balance_Overhaul in this release:
IF Light_Saber_-_Balloon ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
%OFF% Spell.Info.Light_Saber
TEXT _ 3
%OFF% SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.2
TEXT _ 3
ENDIF x3
It's only used to overwrite already existing text, and is only technically necessary for dynamically allocated text. So in that example, Spell.Info.Light_Saber would work with @OFF since that isn't dynamically allocated, while SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.2 would not work with @OFF since it is.

The only way to check if text is dynamically allocated or not is to search for where it's defined:
If you search for SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.2, you'll find !SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.2, where the ! indicates a dynamic allocation.
If you search for Spell.Info.Light_Saber, you'll find it preceded by /+CAB347, where the / indicates a static definition.

Spell definitions are limited by space for letters in the UI; there's a lot of space in the ROM where this text is being stored. The UI can fit 43 characters; by convention, the first character is a space, so 42 characters of descriptive text. And don't forget about the weird \n that has to be inserted between the 13th and 14th characters.

I can't switch names.
It's possible to do, so I'd need to see what you're trying that isn't working.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:44:29 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:47 pm »
Okay, I did this.  Well, I'm not going to post the whole thing, but I'm sure you'll get what I tried to do:

' [Name Exchange]
@OFF $%[]%00
COPY Spell.Name.Exploder 02
COPY Spell.Name.Dispel_Magic 02
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
COPY %[]%02 02
@OFF Spell.Name.Dispel_Magic
COPY %[]%00 02

&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions\Black_Hex\Reloc\.asm

@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
ADR.16 SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.3
@OFF SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.3
TEXT ^B l a ck _ ^H e x \0
@OFF Spell.Text.Dispel_Magic
TEXT ^D is p e ll _ ^A s h \0
@OFF Spell.Info.Exploder
TEXT _ 8 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^C a us e_ \n v ar i ou s_ d e b u f f s_ & _ e f f e c t s \0

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 19, 2020, 09:04:55 pm »
The order that stuff happens matters since you're doing the name exchange.

If the name change (Exploder -> Black Hex) happens before the exchange, then it works as-is.
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
ADR.16   SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.3

If you do the name change after the exchange, you need to change Spell.Name.Dispel_Magic.

The order that you specify ASM <.asm> and FILE <Reloc> affects this order, if the exchange happens in .asm and the change happens in Reloc\.asm.
FILE <Reloc>
ASM <.asm>
and
ASM <.asm>
FILE <Reloc>
will have a different effect. Personally, I usually do the latter, and change the relocated spell name.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 19, 2020, 10:10:26 pm »
I see.  The problem is, I don't need to extend the name of Dispel Magic (12/10 characters).  I need to extend the name of Exploder (8/7 characters).  And yes, I too would rather change the Reloc after the .asm.  It just seems more... natural.

Well, I guess I can just skip the name exchange, and just manually change the names.  That ought to solve the problem.  And I can rename the Dispel Magic into Anti-Magic Ash (homage to the original name) without the usage of another extension for Black Hex.

Now, I just need help for the color edits for target and animation.

Btw, I see that you're busy with the map hacking.  Truly impressive.  There are lots of things that I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 20, 2020, 12:46:47 am »
After the exchange, Spell.Name.Dispel_Magic holds the pointer to Exploder's name's text. You'd be extending (well, replacing) the Exploder text, since you already exchanged the name pointers.

Just which pointer you're replacing depends on if you exchanged the pointers already.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:07:51 am by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 20, 2020, 04:16:45 am »
Okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you said.  Assuming I want to change the text after the switch, I did this:

ASM <.asm>
FILE <encoded>
FILE <decoded>
FILE <Vanilla>
FILE <Reloc>
&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions\Black_Hex\.asm

' [Name Exchange]
@OFF $%[]%00
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
COPY %[]%02 02
COPY %[]%00 02

&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions\Black_Hex\Reloc
REQ [Text]
REQ Relocalized ' compat
ASM <.asm>
&(mods)\Magic\SpellSystemExtensions\Black_Hex\Reloc\.asm

@OFF Spell.Text.Exploder

But as expected, Exploder had too many letters, so I got a glitch.  I'm sorry, but how do I make the switch exactly?  Although I have the "fix it manually instead of switching" solution, I sure would like to know how to make the switch if I were to use Reloc after the asm.

Also, for Light Saber fix that you did for Overhaul, how does that even work?  I mean, it works, but I don't understand the logics behind it.  For future reference (assuming I can even understand it).

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 20, 2020, 06:21:57 am »
I keep winding up trying to explain things while I'm about to fall asleep, but here goes...

You have two spells. You want to change their names and you also want to exchange all their data so they trade places.

You can:
1) make edits to each spell, then exchange them
2) exchange their vanilla data, then make edits
3) make some changes, exchange some data, make some changes, exchange some data, etc.

Option 3) obviously has the most room for mistakes, but isn't inherently wrong. Option 2) can be confusing only because you've swapped them, but certain symbol definitions still refer to the pre-swapped data you need to edit. Option 1) is probably the safest, but may not organize logically from a human's perspective (for example, having to do compatibility fixups before the exchange).

I think all the spell swaps so far have been option 3).

Anyway, to summarize what I think you're doing, before swapping them, you want to:
Rename Exploder to Black Hex, and change it into a status effect and debuff spell.
Rename Dispel Magic to Dispell Ash, and otherwise not really change it.
Then swap them so that Dispell Ash is a Salamando spell and Black Hex is Shade.

Bah, all that text seems useless and I got lost.

Let's try again.

You can swap names either before or after the text edit:
' [Name Exchange]
@OFF $%[]%00
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
COPY %[]%02 02
COPY %[]%00 02

Or:

' [Name Exchange]
@OFF $%[]%00
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
COPY %[]%02 02
COPY %[]%00 02
Note that you need to edit Spell.Text.Dispel_Magic not Spell.Text.Exploder.

The exchange trades the pointers to the text, it doesn't change the values of Spell.Text.Dispel_Magic and Spell.Text.Exploder.

Before the exchange:
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
ADR.16   Spell.Text.Exploder
ADR.16   Spell.Text.Dispel_Magic

After the exchange:
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder
ADR.16   Spell.Text.Exploder

And after the use of SSE.Text.Extended.Extra.3:
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder

And if you did the exchange after, it would first be:
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder

Then after the exchange:
@OFF Spell.Name.Exploder

Regarding the thing I did for Light Saber, %OFF% is a new macro that is:
@OFF $FFFFFF
OFF {some_dynamically_allocated_string_label}

Using OFF without the @ at-sign is really buggy, but putting @OFF $FFFFFF before it should avoid issues. The %OFF% macro just makes it look nicer.

An issue of sorts with %OFF% is that it won't comment out correctly, because it expands to two lines, and only the first line would be commented out, so for example:
%OFF% Spell.Info.Light_Saber
expands to:
@OFF $FFFFFF
OFF Spell.Info.Light_Saber
while:
'%OFF% Spell.Info.Light_Saber
expands to:
'@OFF $FFFFFF
OFF Spell.Info.Light_Saber

But that risk seems worth it to avoid putting @OFF $FFFFFF before any text overwrite.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 20, 2020, 10:43:31 am »
Ohhh.  So that's how it works.  So I guess Spell.Text.Exploder just disappears into thin air (well, probably still there, but just unused).

Wow.  You can just create macro like that?  And one of the macros respond to <'>, which is usually used to ignore that line?  Huh.

Also, do you know what Energy Absorb spell's Japanese name is?  I read it, and it says, "スポイト", which reads "Su Po I To".  I can't think of a single word that sounds anything like that.  Spoit?  What?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:04:26 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 20, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »
Timbo would be the one to ask about Japanese names for things; he dug quite deeply into some of the specific word choices. If you search what he's written in his Relocalized thread he may have even talked about that spell name. Either based on something I barely recall reading, or unknowingly extrapolating from something related, I'd guess it's an onomatopoeia; but take that with a grain of salt as I don't know Japanese, especially don't know their word-play (or idioms, etc.), nor am I generally picky about translation to begin with.

It's not that the macro responds to the comment character, it's actually arguably a flaw in the parsing order of ZPS that %globals% get substituted BEFORE the comment character gets applied. Since %OFF% expands to two lines, only the first line gets commented out.

Yes, Spell.Text.Exploder is still there, just unused. Not a huge deal, and I'd still advise doing the name exchange because it makes the intent clear when coming back to the patch later.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 20, 2020, 06:59:47 pm »
Yes, I'm going to use the switch.  It just feels better to switch, since everything else used the switch (so no Anti-Magic Ash -- just Dispell Ash).

Oh my.  It seems you were right about the name change in Timbo's documents.  Indeed, he mentions it.  It was apparently "Spuit" (misnomer for Syringe).  And he even mentions that it still didn't make sense.  Haha.  I'm just gonna make my own name.  Life Absorb sounds good.

I'm also going to update Spell Balance Overhaul, using the Reloc.asm.  That patch had lots of Reloc text, and I feel like it would be "cleaner" if I were to use that.  And while at it, I'm probably gonna add few things.  Working on it.

Hmm.  I intend on changing the grammar for Blaze Wall description (Reloc says, "Engulf foes in BLAZING fire").  Since Flame Saber uses the word ABLAZE, I want to use that instead.  I'm thinking, "Set foes ABLAZE on fire", but I don't think that's the right way of saying it.  Can you correct me on that?  I also wanted to use the word "engulf", but I don't think I can do that with the world "ablaze", at least in a short sentence.  I know you're not my grammar school teacher, but you're probably better than me in English.  I appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:02:10 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 21, 2020, 05:44:13 am »
The word "ablaze" is used in the same way as "on fire" so your example sentence would functionally be "Set foes on fire on fire" (or "Set foes ablaze ablaze") which is obviously not what you want.

Combining engulf and ablaze in a natural sounding sentence seems especially tough.

Hmm... rough thoughts (capitalize as you see fit):
a barrier of elemental flame sets foes ablaze
an engulfing wall of fire sets foes ablaze

Can probably use a fair few synonyms for wall to get the point across:
curtain of flames
barricade of fire
bulwark of searing heat

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 21, 2020, 07:20:45 am »
Uhh, I know this isn't the place to say this, but I'm going to anyways.  I don't know where everyone is (I know zoolgremlin is in Australia), but for those who are worried about COVID-19, wash your hands (>30 sec of hot water), and minimize touching your face.

I strongly suggest you to watch the movie Contagion.  It's pretty accurate to what's going on right now, including the how the spread works, and the speed of spreading.  Seriously, it's so accurate, that it's scary.

March 21, 2020, 08:17:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Yeah... the entire sentence has to be 28 characters or less, otherwise, it won't even fit into the description section (it has "3MP, 43 PWR,").  That's why I had such a hard time.  Would this sentence make sense?  "Set foes ABLAZE with pyre" (25 characters).

Oh, for target color, how do you find the addresses?  For example, Dust Flare has:

@OFF $D18B07   ' vanilla Speed Up low/mid
RAW   84
@OFF $D18B18   ' vanilla Speed Up high
RAW   84

And for animation:

@OFF $D18B05   ' Speed Up 1/2 C8 animation color
RAW   88
@OFF $D18B16   ' Speed Up 3 C8 animation color
RAW   88

I tried to look for some kind of pattern in that <Disasm - Enker, Regrs, zhaDe> document, but I was unable to.  If you can tell me the addresses for Dispel Magic (or better yet, how to find the addresses for any given spell), that would be awesome.  After that, I can just test different colors to see which one fits my taste.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:17:57 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 22, 2020, 04:07:28 am »
Unfortunately that sentence doesn't make sense: a pyre is a fuel pile for fire; you could put something on (or in, I guess) a pyre, or ignite a pyre (and then put something on it), but you probably wouldn't say you ignited something with a pyre, let alone "with pyre."

I've been busy (with something not SoM related); when I get a chance I'll see what I can find / explain regarding the animations.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 22, 2020, 04:20:26 am »
Ahh.  Dang it.  I suck at English.  I was initially thinking "with fire", but then realized it was really "set foe on fire with fire", assuming "ablaze" translates to "on fire".  Craaaap.

EDIT:  I'm just gonna follow other spell descriptions and say, "ABLAZE foes xxx".  xxx has to be within 15 characters.  I'm thinking "with_eruptions" or "in_fire_geysers".  What do you think?

Sorry for constantly bothering you with my lack of skills.  And thanks.  I appreciate any help.

Also, I hope you're not in the hot zones of COVID-19 (hopefully, it has nothing to do with what's keeping you busy).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:07:42 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 22, 2020, 02:59:29 pm »
You can't easily start a sentence with ablaze (or, well, you can, it'll just read unnaturally, or require a lot more words); again, it's used the same as "on fire" so try the sentence starting with "on fire":
"on fire foes with eruptions"
The equivalent would be:
"eruptions set foes ablaze"

A sentence that starts with ablaze would have to be like:
"ablaze with determination, the boy smote the lich"
Unfortunately I don't remember the names of the different elements of grammar for English to be able to explain why a sentence structured that way is valid.

I live in a fairly high population area and have been on lock down for a bit. But no, my being busy has been unrelated to that, thankfully. I hope you, and everyone else, are safe and healthy.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 22, 2020, 06:42:12 pm »
Might I suggest...

"Flame wall sets foes ABLAZE."

(28 characters.)