News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200211  (Read 190227 times)

hmsong

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200118
« Reply #1160 on: January 19, 2020, 09:23:26 pm »
hmsong, I know you want Run_When_Tired-like behavior with Speed Up, but taking a look at what it would entail, it's a nice little chunk of new code to make work. I may get to it someday, but not something I intend to work on soon. I should be able to make Speed Up cause blocking to be activable even when not full stamina; are you sure you want that?

No, it's fine the way it is.  I didn't mean to insinuate that.  Unless it affects the Speed Up allows Run when Tired.

Speaking of which, if [Run when Tired] is not likely to happen, do you think it would be easier (in programing sense) if Speed Up = Run doesn't drain stamina?  Similar to how Speed Up make Manual Guard doesn't drain stamina (but still requires you to have full stamina to initiate the Guard).  Nevermind.  This isn't very useful, since it still doesn't allow Hit&Run strategy.  The entire point of my request of [Speed Up = Run while tired] was to allow Hit&Run strategy.

Thanks.

For everything else, thanks for the explanation.  It's great to know that having higher AGI doesn't shorten the guard duration.

@kethinov

Excellent.  Thank you for considering and taking my suggestion.  I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:09:08 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Workaround for frequent music cutouts, missing sounds thanks to MSU-1
« Reply #1161 on: January 20, 2020, 02:47:15 pm »
https://mega.nz/#!xqAUWCSa!CXbYKaEohRAYt3nX3GoMO3uA391Iad8FoTZOaZRGOW4
Finally got a chance to try this; nicely done. I didn't notice any flaws in the loops and it definitely is worthwhile to remove the remaining music load pauses (let alone avoiding instrument tracks cutting out).

For anyone concerned, I can attest to all the executables being the same as emuandco's, and beyond that, them being safe to use. Additionally, they don't write junk to the registry, %APPDATA%, etc.

I'm considering including the MSU-1 converter utilities in an "extras" folder (name not settled on yet) in the Turbo ZIP. Would you be alright with me including your selection of loop points (etc.)? If I go through with this, I'd likely be merging emuandco's convert.cmd with yours where the letter code entered selects which batch of music to convert; does that sound okay? I'll need to do a little leg work to check redistribution (etc.) permissions for all those executables, so this may not happen for a few releases, if at all.

PabloGaldini

• View Profile
Re: Workaround for frequent music cutouts, missing sounds thanks to MSU-1
« Reply #1162 on: January 20, 2020, 05:30:59 pm »
Finally got a chance to try this; nicely done. I didn't notice any flaws in the loops and it definitely is worthwhile to remove the remaining music load pauses (let alone avoiding instrument tracks cutting out).

Indeed the nice thing about these official *.win.sab music files is that they already include the loop values in their file header, as SquEx is probably using them in the same way in the official Remaster release, when you select "original soundtrack". However, I learned the hard way that the "original SPC" music has completely different loop values than the "Remaster music".

For anyone concerned, I can attest to all the executables being the same as emuandco's, and beyond that, them being safe to use. Additionally, they don't write junk to the registry, %APPDATA%, etc.

Yup, I only changed the .bat file and removed two of the custom msu sound files that emuandco included for the reasons stated in my last reply.

I'm considering including the MSU-1 converter utilities in an "extras" folder (name not settled on yet) in the Turbo ZIP. Would you be alright with me including your selection of loop points (etc.)? If I go through with this, I'd likely be merging emuandco's convert.cmd with yours where the letter code entered selects which batch of music to convert; does that sound okay? I'll need to do a little leg work to check redistribution (etc.) permissions for all those executables, so this may not happen for a few releases, if at all.

Personally I don't have ANY issues with emuandco's awesome tool being shared. I guess he *may* want to give his blessing, but I wasn't able to reach him via email (even though that was listed on his frequently updated blog) or via the zeldix.net forum topic, so I simply did what I did and tried to give him full credit, when I shared this.

I fully agree that there should probably be three options in the converter BAT: A) use original music; B) use Remaster music, C) use Remaster music with two unused alternate tracks (which a lot of people seem to prefer, but I personally didn't; and since I greatly prefer the SPC music anyway, that choice became irrelevant to me personally). Emuandco originally had options B) and C), as you probably know. Since I'm not a programmer, I wasn't sure if it would break anything, if I left the choices in when changing to the "original music" file paths. So indeed, please go ahead and make all edits to the BAT that make sense to you! It can only get better from here, right? :)

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #1163 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:25 pm »
Unfortunately, that would violate forum rules. The music itself is copyrighted and not acceptable to redistribute.

This is correct. Links to tools that can do the conversion or tell how to recreate the music files are acceptable though.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 21, 2020, 03:12:58 am »
@Queue

Hmm.  For whatever reason, the book enemies (Mystic Book, National Scar) immediately rise as soon as you enter the room, instead of them staying still until you approach them.  One of the more recent changes did this, I think.  I'm not sure which version made them this way.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 22, 2020, 06:54:41 pm »
A test version of emuandco's "Secret of Mana Remaster to MSU-1 Script v2" with original SNES soundtrack support via PabloGaldini:
https://ufile.io/0br9vdkw

Mainly want to make sure the changes work on others' computers and not just mine.

I made changes to the main batch script and the included utilities (no more loose DLL dependencies, no more .NET requirement), and organized the docs folder, but the resulting MSU-1 PCM file output should be byte-for-byte identical to emuandco's and PabloGaldini's.

- Still uses the same arbitrary AppVeyor build of vgmstream from 2018-03-11 provided by emuandco but with all its DLL dependencies embedded within it and then UPX compressed.
- Now uses qwertymodo's MSUPCM++ v1.0RC1 for SoX capabilities (formerly directly via SoX 14.4.2).
- Still uses normalize 0.7.7 by Chris Vaill.
- Now uses wav2msu 0.1 by Johannes Baiter rather than wav2msu (C#) by Kawa.

I would not be shocked if some virus scanners flip out over the included version of vgmstream.exe; it is 100% free of malware, but is unusual enough that any overly paranoid virus scanners will find it suspicious. This is related to removing the DLL dependencies by merging them into the main executable.

Even after all that, it's far too large to include with the Turbo releases (6x larger ZIP file size), but worth maintaining a download link for. If this version works for other people, I'll get a more permanent download set up for it.

hmsong, well that's weird (regarding the book enemies). If you can nail down what feature is related, that'd be helpful, but I should have a chance to look into it soon regardless.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:45:30 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 24, 2020, 02:26:16 am »
I figure it out.  It's from my Enemy Stat Changes.  Because I reduced the HP stat for National Scar, it's causing some kind of problem in the AI.  I'm gonna figure things out and repost.

Okay, in the Enemy Stat Changes, could you put the following near the National Scar HP stat? (I'm changing it in this section, instead of Behavior section, since it is directly related to Stat changes):

Code: [Select]
@OFF $D09892 ' National Scar HP Behavior
RAW 11

As for Mystic Book, its behavior depends on where it is.  In some places (such as Emperor Castle or Snow Land), it's active from the start (even in vanilla), whereas in some places (Ice Palace and Northtown Ruins), it starts off stationary.

Also, could you please change the following in Enemy Behavior Change?

While I was testing, I noticed that Wolf Lord's vanilla HP is a lot lower than what I thought (so I'm creating this for those who don't use the Enemy Stat Changes).  It's not a big difference between what I initially created (350 HP), so I'm not going to use IF and IFNOT function:
@OFF $D09E4B ' Wolf Lord Uses Cure Water below 279 HP
RAW 17 01

Also, in the Behavior Changes, I want to change what National Scar summons (Imp is so weak by the time of Tree Palace, and it takes National Scar a long time to summon it).  Of course, this makes Imp an extinct monster, but your Night Cycle gives Imp back, so things should work out just fine.
@OFF $D0999C ' National Scar Spawn (Imp --> Gremlin)
'RAW 37
RAW 46
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:11:22 am by hmsong »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 24, 2020, 03:59:47 am »
New hack: Frosty the Friendly Alchemist

This patch adds a small, friendly snowman to a range of wintery locations who will offer you a concoction to drink that will heal you and restore your MP. Though Frosty sometimes hides from the nearby monsters, so you might not always see him unless you clear the monsters first.

Locations:

- Upper Land winter section.
- The resort town in Ice Country, only after liberating Salamando.
- The middle of the Ice Castle. This Frosty will allow you to save too.
- Pure Land winter section.

Frosty is useful in these areas because they are generally fairly long and without many good places to rest. This hack also makes use of the not widely seen "pygmy snowman" graphic, which while not technically dummied out (it's possible to see it in the original game under very specific circumstances) is almost never seen under normal circumstances.

Likewise, the snowman's dialog is unused dialog that always existed in the game but had never been used before: "Drink this medicine! It'll fix ya right up!"

The original Japanese version of the event indicates that it was supposed to be used in Tasnica in place of an Inn, but this was probably scrapped because it is fairly pointless to have an Inn in Tasnica; even a free one. Instead, this hack uses that story event in a more useful way.

Important things to note:

- Known issue: When saving in the Ice Castle, the save file will say "Frosty Forest."
- How to combine this with the Variable Width Font hack: 1. Apply VWF, 2. Remove header, 3. Apply this hack, 4. Apply this hack's VWF support hack.
- How to combine this with Relocalized: 1. Apply Relocalized, 2. Apply this hack, 3. Apply this hack's Relocalized support hack.
- In order to make room for the snowmen, some non-unique NPCs were removed: a Moogle from the Upper Land, a Steamed Crab from the Upper Land, a Mushboom from Elinee's Castle, a Specter from Ice Castle, and a Needlion from the Pure Land.

Download: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4886/

This sounds awesome.

I wonder about compatibility with the music hacks I've written, such as Restore Unused Fanfares, Different Boss Music for Buffy and Dread Slime, Upbeat Elinee's Castle, Sad Moogle Village, and Echoey Matango Caves? Will further work be required to make your work and mine compatible?
This is really cool!(pun intended) Well done indeed.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200126
« Reply #1168 on: January 26, 2020, 06:55:40 pm »
Version 2020-01-26:
https://ufile.io/e8wbo1z4

Changes:
- Added kethinov's Frosty the Friendly Alchemist, with a few tweaks because I'm annoying (Ice Castle save location has a name, slight tweak to that room's event/door array so it fit in-place)
- Added kethinov's Killable Snowmen; finally got a chance to try this, didn't see any issues or conflicts
- Verified and incremented Gigas_Bosses_Disassemble_Less to v1.1
- Implemented Text\True_Monster_Names which shows a monster's actual name when targeted while they're Transformed, or a snowman (consequently, it disables the Killable Snowmen text edit since it becomes unnecessary)
- Implemented Balance\Run_When_Tired\Only_With_Speed_Up (Off by default, and needs testing)
- Slight adjustments to Enemy_Stat_Changes and Enemy_Behavior_Changes to solve some enemy AI issues related to their max health
- Minor bugfix for Day_Night_Cycle code
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:02:00 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:34 pm »
@Queue

Hot damn.  You did it.  Releasing the Run button while in Speed Up state still seems to make characters recharge stamina (I was thinking Speed Up Run wouldn't cost stamina at all, just like the original Run When Tired), but you can definitely run when tired.  This definitely allows Hit and Run strategy, which was the main point of my request.  And it returns to the normal "requires stamina to run" state when Speed Up wears out.  Well done.  Thank you.

I haven't experimented with your new Frosty Alchemist, Killable Snowman, and True Name yet, but I'll do that soon.

Edit:  Hmm.  Upon further experiments, in Speed Up state, if I hold Guard while running, the guard drains stamina, even though Speed Up should give infinite guard stamina.  Please check?

For whatever reason, Frosty Alchemist faces the other way when I talk to him (if I talk to him from his right side, he faces left, and vice versa).

Also, how do you check which event is which?  For example, in Frosty Alchemist codes, there are things like [Event 2DE] and [Event 37C].  I know it triggers... some kind of event, but I have no idea what those events are.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:20:54 pm by hmsong »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: January 27, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »
Event 2DE is the dummied out "fix ya right up" event that vanilla never calls. 37C is the Rudolph "My master's gone!" event.

All the event code is in ROM banks C9 and CA. They are coded using an event scripting system whereby each byte represents some kind of event command that takes one or more bytes as arguments to the command. There are commands for things like open a textbox, or move a character, or call another event, etc.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 28, 2020, 01:35:57 am »
Ohh.  Thank you.  I took a look at bank 09 and 0A, and there are plenty of codes that link certain events to particular addresses, but I have no idea what those events are, since many aren't really labeled with the specific events -- just numbers.  Some, I can sort of guess, based on context (such as [Event 25: Jehk is an asshole], which I'm guessing is when Jehk kept lying to you to go beat numerous other dungeons.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 04, 2020, 05:37:04 pm »
Wow, it's quiet in here.  It's been a while since it's been this quiet.

The fact that this post didn't merge with the previous post means it's been at least 7 days.  Huh.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 04, 2020, 05:39:08 pm »
I've been busy with unrelated projects, so time working on SoM stuff has been reduced. Also the next hack I plan to release is a very big one that is taking a lot of time to finish, so I'll probably remain quiet for a while.

ShockwaveS08

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 04, 2020, 07:27:32 pm »
Just got back into playing SOM Turbo, and I've gotnone particular suggestion in mind, assuming there's any VRAM left over in normal gameplay.

Given how Poisoned/Frozen status is shown in the HUD (even though it's likely bleedthrough from character sprites), would it be possible to show icons above each of the characters' health counters, to show buffs/debuffs from spells used by the girl and sprite, as well as enemies (i.e. Sabers, Stat Up/Down, etc.)? Certain other debuffs are quite obvious from gameplay (Sleep/Paralysis), so no need for icons there.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 04, 2020, 09:44:09 pm »
I've been busy with unrelated projects, so time working on SoM stuff has been reduced. Also the next hack I plan to release is a very big one that is taking a lot of time to finish, so I'll probably remain quiet for a while.

Oh my.  Looking forward to it.

February 04, 2020, 09:45:35 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

@Queues

In case you forgot, if you can do the "dispel inn", that would be great (to dispel Saber/barrier/buff/debuff).  Thanks.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 04, 2020, 11:19:19 pm »
Whoops, I guess it has been a bit. Regarding Secret of Mana, I've been dealing with some technical stuff surrounding supporting it on modified Switch consoles (in that system's version of Nintendo's canoe emulator), and cleaning up / hopefully improving Turbo's support for the SNES Classic's variation of canoe. So the next update will likely be a bit dry / boring.

ShockwaveS08, what I've wanted to do is indicate some (or all?) of the buffs and debuffs with player outline color, but there's a critical unsolved problem involving shadows: all shadows use the first playable character's (the boy's) outline color. I've tried a few times to figure out a workaround for that but come up empty.

I think there are still some UI tiles left over that could be used for indicators (though the color selection is limited). I'll give that a look though since that's not a bad way to do it. I may be able to make little icons, like a sword and up / down arrow, etc.

hmsong, my investigation of that (inn dispel) found it to be a little more complicated than I'd hoped. It'll be possible, just more work than I expected.

The tiny snowman facing the wrong way is probably a vanilla issue with that character's animations; unless I messed it up when importing kethinov's hack, that's low priority to fix.

Haven't looked into the guard + running issue you described yet.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 04, 2020, 11:48:30 pm »
The tiny snowman facing the wrong way is probably a vanilla issue with that character's animations; unless I messed it up when importing kethinov's hack, that's low priority to fix.

You didn't screw up, it's a vanilla issue. I didn't really care, so I didn't look into it.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 06, 2020, 10:56:03 am »
Whoops, I guess it has been a bit. Regarding Secret of Mana, I've been dealing with some technical stuff surrounding supporting it on modified Switch consoles (in that system's version of Nintendo's canoe emulator), and cleaning up / hopefully improving Turbo's support for the SNES Classic's variation of canoe. So the next update will likely be a bit dry / boring.
This would be appreciated. Though on my SNES Mini I use the SNES9X core and haven't had any issues, but native Canoe support would be good.

MrBlunty9

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 08, 2020, 06:25:08 pm »
Having problems patching this on mac, it says Error Linking File Doesn't Exist DEF.adf

And then it says error compiling.

Is this available pre-patched? Can anyone please help me? Kaniaka77@yahoo.com is my email.