News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200211  (Read 188868 times)

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191222
« Reply #1080 on: December 26, 2019, 03:50:01 am »
All zoolgremlin meant was downloading all previous Secret of Mana, Turbo releases where the downloads still work. I haven't done ROM hacks for any other ROM-based game (and what little other game modifying I've done was for computer games, and I've never used the project name Turbo). I also generally haven't used the same internet alias for projects that I've released publicly, so good luck identifying what else I've done over the years (spanning back to the late 90s I guess).

There aren't enough hours in a day for me to concurrently work on more than one fun thing at a time. To my surprise, this has been my second longest project ever, and it may overtake my longest if I don't stop myself.

I generally only directly communicate with kethinov or anyone regarding Secret of Mana here on RHDN. Sometimes there's somewhat indirect communication via the Secret of Mana Ancient Cave Discord chat, though I rarely post there.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 26, 2019, 03:54:25 am »
Ohh?  There's an even longer project than SoM?  Hot damn.  What game is it?

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 26, 2019, 04:17:33 am »
I use different aliases on purpose so that when I'm done with something I can just vanish and move on to whatever the next thing is I want to do for fun. Since I often like to do bug fixes, if I couldn't just disappear, I'd have people following me for years asking for help fixing bug X or crash Y in game Z. =/ That's something I learned from experience like 2 decades ago. Telling you what else I've done would sort've circumvent that effort since in theory it would provide the info to link my aliases together, and I value the ability to stay anonymous.

The name used here, Queue, I have actually reused, so you could find something else I've done elsewhere on the internet via the name, but Queue is intentionally a pretty hard name to search for, so good luck if you attempt it.

Someday, when I'm done with Secret of Mana, I intend to finish something for another game I put on hold over a year ago. =/

zoolgremlin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Steam Profile Name: keeperofcastlegreydusk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 26, 2019, 07:17:42 am »
Ah well, it's only 9:35pm my time, might as well make up for my absence some more.   :)

@Queue:  I thought about doing what you suggested earlier, but at the time decided to let it wait.  Might be just as well to do it now... will look at my Profile shortly.   :)

@hmsong:

1.  As with yourself, Queue, Mr. X and everyone else, I only have contact with kethinov on here and via email, although I don't really email people often.  If he didn't answer your email straightaway, my best guess is that maybe he's not online very much right now, due to Real Life concerns.  Sorry I can't help with that...  :(

2.  I don't have any documentation for other games, in regards to hacking/modding them, unfortunately.  So far, I have never tried to hack/mod other games myself, except to use mods that someone else wrote, for games like Sonic Mania, Spellforce Platinum, and so on.  I do know of a couple of other resources where you'd be able to ask about those, however.

For example, if you like the Sonic the Hedgehog series, you could go to [LINK] Sonic Retro.  Not only can you download hacked ROMs for Classic Sonic games (Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, Advance, etc.), but there are tutorials available to read.  Which can give you a rundown on how to hack and mod various Sonic games.  I like the site a lot, although I haven't been there for a while.  The disadvantage there is that Sonic Retro focusses on Sonic games exclusively, as far as I know.

There's also [LINK] Game Banana, which I checked just now.  There are tutorials there as well, and the site covers all different games, not just Sonic.  You can get mods and stuff from there, it's where I got the files needed to add Amy Rose as a playable character to Sonic Mania.

Those two sites might be a good start for now.  I'll have a look around sometime, see if I find any others.  If there is documentation for FF6, CT, etc, that you asked about earlier, someone on Game Banana might know about it.  You can sign up for their forum, and ask around sometime.  Hope that helps...  :thumbsup:

That's it for now, have a good one.   :beer:
MASTER LINK:  Secret of Mana Information (Vanilla)

"Yes, the Author is indeed a horse!"  <zool>

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 26, 2019, 06:20:41 pm »
Thanks.  I'll check them out.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191226
« Reply #1085 on: December 26, 2019, 08:46:43 pm »
Version 2019-12-26:
https://ufile.io/uzmut9cv

Changes:
- Updated hmsong's Spell_Balance_Overhaul
- Many spell description updates thanks to hmsong
- Fixed Relocalized's Energy_Absorb and Exploder spell descriptions
- Fixed bug in Strong_And_Weak_Attacks knockback code that made enemies much easier to knockback (attack >= 1/8 target HP instead of intended 1/4)
- Altered Strong_And_Weak_Attack knockback behavior for most weapons to be based on direction player is facing; only axe and boomerang retain vanilla behavior (where enemies are knocked backwards solely based on the direction they're facing)

Technical changes:
- Optimized getPlayerChar()
- Optimized getCharOffset()

hmsong, I think I got spell descriptions distributed among features correctly, but there's a non-zero chance I messed something up. I also didn't touch the feature descriptions so I assume Spell_Balance_Overhaul's description isn't in sync with its changes at the moment.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 27, 2019, 01:07:10 am »
Wow, thanks for the update.  Good stuff.  Few suggestions and corrections:

1. For Dust Flare, could you use the shortened code for the effect?  This:

Code: [Select]
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.DamageAndStats
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Down
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Target%
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Power%
RAW 2B

IF _Mud_Saber_-_Replaces_Stone_Saber ' compat
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.Effects
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Effect%
ADR.16 Spell.Effect.Petrify
ENDIF
IFNOT _Mud_Saber_-_Replaces_Stone_Saber
IF [Miscellaneous]
IF Enable_Paralyze_Status
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.DamageAndEffects
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Effect%
ADR.16 Spell.Effect.Paralyze
ENDIF x3

2. For Dust Flare, could you use lower-case the effects for vanilla description?  Vanilla specifically makes everything in lower case, except the first letter.  I want to be consistent with that (sorry for being so picky).  This:

TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ p^ e^ t^ \n r^ i^ f^ i^ e^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ s^ c^ a^ \n l^ d^ s^ / m^ i^ r^ e^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0

3. For Overhaul, there was an error.  Specifically, for Relocalized, turning on/off Dust Flare shouldn't effect the spell description (MP Cost), since the Dust Flare switches the description address.  I already tried and confirmed that the current code in the patch gives error (says Dust Flare costs 2 MP, whereas Quick costs 3 MP).  So erasing the <IF _Dust_Flare_-_Replaces_Fire_Bouquet> paragraph and putting in:
@OFF Spell.Info.Speed_Up
TEXT _ 2
in the <IF [Text] IF Relocalized> section should fix the problem.  Already tried and confirmed it works.

As for everything else, they work great.  I see you updated the Shadow Saber (and Evil Gate/Hellfire).  Excellent.  I'll continue some other minor tests to see if I find more errors.  Thanks for the great work.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 27, 2019, 01:21:02 am »
Got it, already incorporated those changes.

Whoops, sorry about the Spell_Balance_Overhaul mistake, when I was moving stuff out I saw the Speed Up description change and forgot that it would work correctly as it was.

Also sorry about missing the dust flare description capitalization change. I read where you brought it up before but forgot it as I was getting stuff copied in. Thanks for double-checking things.

I'll make sure to put out a release tomorrow; thankfully none of these mistakes crash the game or anything so I'm not going to rush out a B release tonight.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 27, 2019, 02:10:06 am »
Thanks.  Looking forward to it.

Btw, I see you changed quite a few of DTE letters (or whatever you call them), in terms of codes.  Is that gonna be alright?  I hope it doesn't screw things up somewhere.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191227
« Reply #1089 on: December 27, 2019, 02:17:42 am »
Version 2019-12-27:
https://ufile.io/mjlpcfto

Changes:
- Updated hmsong's Dust Flare and Spell_Balance_Overhaul
- Added hmsong / kethinov / Timbo's Stardust Herb

Things are even less tested than normal, but I had to call it a night and wanted to get something posted today. Stardust Herb is totally untested, hopefully it works at all.

It's safe. The ones I changed have identical behavior with their alternate; the only DTE copies with asymmetrical behavior are 7D/E0 and 7E/E1 and those didn't change. I had decided fairly arbitrarily which ones would be the "alternates" when I originally added them to the ZPS file but decided to simply match what Relocalized uses after this recent round of text changes.

Edit: Added new version to post.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:32:32 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 28, 2019, 02:41:50 am »
Woot!  Thank you.  I shall test it out.

EDIT:  I tested them out, and I found no flaw.  Awesome.  Thank you so much.  I see you made your own color (well, Timbo's color).  Haha.

I'm not sure why you divided codes for some shop/enemy drops (you separated those who drop Stardust Herb and <other mod> into different section), but the result is the same, so it all works out.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:58:39 pm by hmsong »

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 28, 2019, 11:25:50 pm »
It looks like kethinov is also taking extended leave to work on other things.  I will get back to reviewing his mods as well, at some point.  Wouldn't be surprised if he comes back with a whole new package of mods someday, again... hehe.   :D

Indeed. I took a break, but I'm working on things again...

New hacks:

Gigas Bosses Disassemble Less Often: This roughly halves how often the Gigas bosses disassemble into orbs. This will increase difficulty somewhat by making them slightly more aggressive.

Gigas Bosses Never Disassemble: Gigas bosses will never disassemble into orbs. This will increase difficulty considerably by making them significantly more aggressive.

Download both: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4857/

Updated hacks:

Stardust Herb 1.3 now includes the "Mint Flavored" option and hmsong's latest updates: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4781/

Suicide Burst 1.3 refactors the code to use Queue's standardized Wall bypass technique: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4731/

Turbo version of Suicide Burst 1.3 (makes it compatible with spell system extensions): http://kethinov.com/images/linked/som/burst/SecretofManaSuicideBurst1.3Turbo.zip

Balance Spell MP Cost 1.4 reverts Moon Energy price reduction from 2mp to 1mp but makes it multi-targetable: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4556/

Herbal Burst 1.2 reverts Herbal Boost price reduction from 2mp to 1mp but makes it multi-targetable: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4557/

Fix Barrel Frame Glitches 1.2 matches Queue's latest update: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4514/

Remove Barrels On Run 1.2 matches Queue's latest update: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4515/

Echoey Matango Caves 1.1 matches Queue's latest update: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4776/

Watts in the Haunted Forest 1.3 matches Queue's latest update: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4511/

I don't know if kethinov's Frosty change has side effects, I haven't gotten to trying it; my guess is that it should, but it would be great if it doesn't.

I didn't see any in my testing. Frostied enemies remain stationary and don't move. Casting spells on them does damage without causing graphical issues. If they die, they show their normal death animation.

- Added kethinov's Neko and Watts in the Pure Land, slightly altered positions to prevent the player from getting stuck in walls (hoping you swing by kethinov so we can discuss this; I tried to move them as little as possible)

Changes to Neko and Watts in the Pure Land look good to me. Updated on RHDN: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4766/

So while catching up with the thread I got thinking given that you've heavily rewritten some older stuff like quick spell hotkeys, have you given any further thought to modifying equip 2nd weapon to require holding the "R" button and pressing "X" to switch weapons so the original behavior of the "X" button need not be sacrificed? I know you said before this would be a lot of effort because of how intertwined things were, but I'm wondering if the refactoring you've been up to changes this situation at all.

Also you should update the description of Revisit Sunken Continent to reflect bridge auto extending.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:31:25 pm by kethinov »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 29, 2019, 07:05:36 pm »
Quote from: hmsong
I'm not sure why you divided codes for some shop/enemy drops (you separated those who drop Stardust Herb and <other mod> into different section), but the result is the same, so it all works out.
I am going to add an option to include (or not) the unrelated drop table / shop changes. I just ran out of time to add the checkbox, so what you see is the changes without the non-Stardust-Herb-changes, followed by the full changes that overwrite those minimal changes.

Quote from: kethinov
So while catching up with the thread I got thinking given that you've heavily rewritten some older stuff like quick spell hotkeys, have you given any further thought to modifying equip 2nd weapon to require holding the "R" button and pressing "X" to switch weapons so the original behavior of the "X" button need not be sacrificed? I know you said before this would be a lot of effort because of how intertwined things were, but I'm wondering if the refactoring you've been up to changes this situation at all.
I hadn't thought about it in a while but mulling it over it should be fairly painless now. Well, and it was painless, so it's already added as an option for the next release. It took a couple minutes to make it fully compatible with (and without) Manual_Block but some quick tests seemed to show it behaving (and now weapon switch is simply allowed during a Manual Block). Arguably it "feels" a little better with Manual_Block enabled since it helps avoids X triggering the buddy menu if you release R before X, but it's definitely usable without it.

Quote from: kethinov
Also you should update the description of Revisit Sunken Continent to reflect bridge auto extending.
Okie dokey.

kethinov

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 29, 2019, 07:35:15 pm »
For anyone who might've seen an earlier version of my above post, I've edited it like a gazillion times as I've finished more hack updates. But I'm done with that marathon for now so it might be worth another look now.

I hadn't thought about it in a while but mulling it over it should be fairly painless now. Well, and it was painless, so it's already added as an option for the next release. It took a couple minutes to make it fully compatible with (and without) Manual_Block but some quick tests seemed to show it behaving (and now weapon switch is simply allowed during a Manual Block). Arguably it "feels" a little better with Manual_Block enabled since it helps avoids X triggering the buddy menu if you release R before X, but it's definitely usable without it.

Cool! I'm definitely looking forward to trying that.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 29, 2019, 08:45:46 pm »
@kethinov

Holy crap.  It's been a long time.  How are you doing?  Thanks for the update to Stardust Herb.

As you suspected, I've updated the list again.  Specifically, the shop went through a MAJOR overhaul, at least, in programming sense, and will definitely not work with other shop mods (it changes the # of items available in the shop, from D8FC32).  And I changed a bit of the drops (so that at least one enemy drops Stardust Herb in each new area, after Gaia Navel).  I'll send you the IPS very soon (the list is below).  I don't know how to apply the Mint Flavored to the IPS, so I'll leave that part to you.

EDIT:  Okay, sent.  V1.3

I don't know about you, but I thought Gigas disammbling made them more difficult.  Specifically, against Fire Gigas.  When they disassemble, my magic misses, and with limited MP pool (and no Faerie Walnut), that can become a problem.

@Queue

As I said to kethinov, I changed things around for Stardust Herb drops and shops (after my previous edit post).  I actually changed to this a while ago, but I figured I should wait until you were finished with what you were doing (drop/shop edits are pretty easy mod).  I don't know how this will work with what you intend on doing (as a separate section).  If there's anything I can do, please let me know.  I don't mind doing the work.

Oh, and I changed the menu icon color (Quill Cap color was too bright, so I changed it to Faerie Crown color -- much better blue).  I personally prefer blue over the original Timbo's green, but thanks for creating the Timbo's Mint Flavor (and having the option to toggle).

'[Drop Table]
@OFF $D03A53 '[Rabite]
RAW 40 14
@OFF $D03A58 '[Buzz Bee]
RAW 40 28
@OFF $D03A5D '[Mushboom]
RAW 14 40
@OFF $D03A62 '[Chobin Hood]
RAW 32 4B
@OFF $D03A69 '[Iffish]
RAW 04 00 78 4B 43
@OFF $D03A71 '[Kid Goblin]
RAW 1E 04
@OFF $D03A80 '[Specter]
RAW 45 43
@OFF $D03A85 '[Blat]
RAW 40 32
@OFF $D03A94 '[Polter Chair]
RAW 3C 4A
@OFF $D03A99 '[Ma Goblin]
RAW 50 4B
@OFF $D03A9E '[Dark Funk]
RAW 4B 43
@OFF $D03AAC '[Zombie]
RAW 78 44 4B
@OFF $D03ABC '[Nemesis Owl]
RAW 44 4B
@OFF $D03ACB '[Steamed Crab]
RAW 41 43
@OFF $D03ADA '[Howler]
RAW 4B 44
@OFF $D03AE4 '[LA Funk]
RAW 45 43
@OFF $D03B02 '[Mystic Book]
RAW 4B 43
@OFF $D03B20 '[Bomb Bee]
RAW 4B 42
@OFF $D03B25 '[Mushgloom]
RAW 4B 4A
@OFF $D03B2A '[Trap Flower]
RAW 44 42
@OFF $D03B2C '[Dinofish]
RAW 84 00 78 4B 43
@OFF $D03B34 '[Mimic Box]
RAW 43 4A
@OFF $D03B4D '[Spider Legs]
RAW 41 4B
@OFF $D03B5C '[Beast Zombie]
RAW 4B 44
@OFF $D03B70 '[Marmablue]
RAW 4B 43
@OFF $D03BB1 '[Gremlin]
RAW 41 38
@OFF $D03BD9 '[Dark Knight]
RAW 4B 22
@OFF $D03BE8 '[Doom Sword]
RAW 44 37

' ---

'[Shop Table]
@OFF $D8FC32 ' Potos + Nekos + Pandora-1 + Kippo
RAW 52FC 59FC 62FC 69FC
@OFF $D8FC3A ' Dwarf + Pandora-2 + MoogleNeko + Matango
RAW 70FC 7CFC 86FC 93FC
@OFF $D8FC42 ' Todo + Kakkara + Southtown + Northtown
RAW 9EFC A9FC B4FC C1FC
@OFF $D8FC4A ' Mandala + Gold + Tasnica + TreeNeko
RAW CDFC D7FC E3FC EFFC

@OFF $D8FC52 ' Potos Village (52)
RAW BA BE BF 7C 91 B9 FF
@OFF $D8FC59 ' Neko's (59)
RAW BA BB BC BD BE C5 BF C4 FF
@OFF $D8FC62 ' Pandora-1 (62)
RAW BA BE BF 7D 92 B9 FF
@OFF $D8FC69 ' Kippo Village (69)
RAW BA BE BF 94 96 A7 FF
@OFF $D8FC70 ' Dwarf Village (70)
RAW BA BE C5 BF 7E 7F 93 94 95 A7 A8 FF
@OFF $D8FC7C ' Pandora-2 (7C)
RAW BB BD C5 7F 80 95 96 A8 A9 FF
@OFF $D8FC86 ' Neko-Upperland (86)
RAW BA BB BC BD BE C5 BF C4 80 81 97 A9 FF
@OFF $D8FC93 ' Matango (93)
RAW BA BB BD BE C5 BF 81 82 97 AA FF
@OFF $D8FC9E ' Todo Village (9E)
RAW BA BB BD BE C5 BF 82 83 98 AB FF
@OFF $D8FCA9 ' Kakkara (A9)
RAW BA BB BD BE C5 BF 82 98 99 AB FF
@OFF $D8FCB4 ' Southtown (B4)
RAW BA BB BD BE C5 BF 83 84 99 9A AB AC FF
@OFF $D8FCC1 ' Northtown (C1)
RAW BA BB BD BE C5 BF 85 9B 9C AC AD FF
@OFF $D8FCCD ' Mandala (CD)
RAW BB BD BE C5 BF 86 87 9D AE FF
@OFF $D8FCD7 ' Gold City (D7)
RAW BB BD BE C5 BF 88 89 9E 9F AF B0 FF
@OFF $D8FCE3 ' Tasnica (E3)
RAW BB BC BD BE C5 BF 89 8A A0 B1 B2 FF
@OFF $D8FCEF ' Neko-Lost Continent (EF)
RAW BA BB BC BD BE C5 BF C4 8B A1 B3 FF

'[Table_ItemIcons] (icon ID, palette ID)
@OFF $D8FF06 '[0B: Stardust Herb]
'RAW A8 95 '[95: Barrel]
'RAW A8 4C '[4C: Quill Cap]
RAW A8 5A '[5A: Faerie Crown]

Now that I think about it, you can probably keep the old "minimal changes" that's already in the pack (drops, shops), and have a toggle option for full recent change (v1.3 that I posted).  That is, if you're intending on creating a sub-section that people can toggle.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:18:49 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191230
« Reply #1095 on: December 30, 2019, 07:27:29 pm »
Version 2019-12-30:
https://ufile.io/r3vaf6pr

Changes:
- Updated a bunch of kethinov's hacks (some were just version number bumps): Herbal_Boost, Weapons_Progression_Balance, Magical_Herb, Faerie_Coconut, Stardust_Herb, Watts_In_Haunted_Forest, Neko_And_Watts_In_Pure_Land, Remove_Barrels_On_Run, Echoey_Matango_Caves
- Minor change to Revisit_Sunken_Continent description
- Added Drop_And_Shop_Changes sub-feature to Stardust_Herb
- Added Switch_Requires_R sub-feature to Equip_2nd_Weapon (Off by default)
- Equip_2nd_Weapon now works while blocking with Manual_Block

This is probably the last update for this year. Happy New Year everyone. =)

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 30, 2019, 10:09:39 pm »
@Queue

Woo!  Thanks.  They all work great.

BTW, what's with Shadow Zero?  I heard it can come out of a chest, and Evil Gate Lv9 spells can summon them.  Are they actual sprites (meaning they can be used as an enemy sprite or something), or are they simply magic graphic?

Also, what exactly changes Girl's sprite in [Retouched_Characters]?  I don't particularly see any difference.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 30, 2019, 11:05:10 pm »
I've not looked at it specifically, but pretty sure it's a spell graphic.

The changes to the girl sprite are supposed to be super subtle (though they are fairly numerous); some of her frames of animation had the wrong color on her armbands (pink instead of green), I replaced the brightest color in her hair with the matching color from her skin colors so that brightest hair color could exclusively be used for her jewelry (instead of both her hair and jewelry), and I replaced the non-pink highlight in her pants (which wasn't that way on every frame of animation) with the brightest pink where applicable. Pretty sure I recall cleaning up a stray pixel or two as well, but my objective was not to change the art, just to fix it.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 30, 2019, 11:43:24 pm »
Ahh.  So that's what it is.  Thank you.

Echelon

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:01 pm »
is there any chance of getting a seiken densetsu 3 turbo?