News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 200401  (Read 229012 times)

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191216
« Reply #1060 on: December 21, 2019, 03:04:44 pm »
Version 2019-12-21:
https://ufile.io/uskfk8hq

Changes:
- Updated hmsong's Dust Flare spell color choices
- Updated descriptions for Enemy_Stat_Changes and Enemy_Behavior_Changes
- Added hmsong's Generous_Gold_Chests
- Altered Boy_Dislikes_Nuts to only affect the unused item if Faerie Coconut is On (in preparation for Stardust Herb)
- Fixed missing code in Enemy_Behavior_Changes
- Fixed Barrel_Scramble_Fix to not have side effects on enemy AI

Probably the last release before Christmas. If my updates have seemed slower than normal, it's because they are; this is a busy time of year for me (and obviously for a lot of people) due to social obligations.

Old post contents before update release:

There is an error in Barrel_Scramble_Fix, so thanks a ton for that bug report (its code is 1 byte too long so is overwriting something it probably shouldn't). As far as I can tell, it's affecting a timer used by enemy AI (causing it to count down fast), though I don't actually know how that affects their behavior. What was breaking with their AI (namely, in what way were they behaving unexpectedly? were they just not doing anything?)? Regardless, I'll get it fixed.

Edit: Added new version release to post.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:29:17 pm by Queue »

Singe Horizontal

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 21, 2019, 06:34:11 pm »
My pleasure, they were only moving and never attacking. There is another bug, I think that weapon effect spreads amongst the other characters : for example, if you use a whip on a char, dragging monsters, if you attack the same monster with another char, it will sometimes have the drag effect too. Another example, sometimes let' s say I have glove level 3 on the boy which has sleep, sometimes the other chars will have the sleep effect too on their weapons but I don't exactly know if it's when attacking the same monster as the boy, or when he is charging.

hmsong

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191221
« Reply #1062 on: December 21, 2019, 08:59:53 pm »
@Queue

Awesome.  Great stuff.

One question.  I'm thinking about editing the spell descriptions for both Dust Flare and Spell Overhaul.  Especially Dust Flare, since its effect changes, depending on which other magic is enabled (this will probably be the last part of Dust Flare 1.0).  I'm aware that vanilla and Relocalized have different places to edit (I don't know about VWF).  Could you tell me how to do all that?

Okay, I figured out that the description for vanilla starts in 0AAE9C (thanks to your spell data definition portion), so I can change the description (for vanilla, at least).  But how do you do that for Relocalized/VWF?  Looking at the Dust Flare codes, you didn't make anything new for Relocalized/VWF, so does that mean it's unnecessary?

As always, thanks for the help.

@Singe Horizontal

Jesus christ, how did you know that it was Barrel Bug Fix that was causing the problem?  Hot damn.  Amazing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:17:31 am by hmsong »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191221
« Reply #1063 on: December 22, 2019, 06:25:42 am »
Just wanted to chime in, the ROM corruption problem seems to be fixed with this version as I can't replicate it.

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 191222
« Reply #1064 on: December 23, 2019, 12:43:47 am »
Version 2019-12-22:
https://ufile.io/lf24vmdw

Changes:
- Only internal technical changes to help with hmsong's spell description request; ROM output between this and yesterday's release are identical (in other words, not important for anyone to grab this one if they already have yesterday's unless they're hmsong)
- Fixed some bad offset definitions for spell names; they aren't currently in use so don't affect anything already existing

lexluthermiester, good, and thanks for the report.

hmsong, okay, I've added definitions for all spell descriptions, go check out "SPELL DATA DEFINITIONS", in particular the new Spell.Info.* entries. VWF is the same as vanilla for spell names and descriptions. They're affected by Proper-caser. Relocalized has different offsets for spell descriptions (and names), but that's accounted for automatically if you use Spell.Info.* (in this case, Spell.Info.Fire_Bouquet).

Relocalized overhauls the spell descriptions though, so if you want proper compatibility, you'll be writing slightly different descriptions for vanilla/VWF and Relocalized.

To keep things simple, using the overwrite compat method is probably easiest: do the vanilla/VWF version followed by an IF Relocalized version after it.

Here's an example with the default Fire Bouquet descriptions:
Code: [Select]
@OFF Spell.Info.Fire_Bouquet
TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ b^ a^ t^ t^ l^ e^ _ p^ o^ w^ e^ r^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized ' compat
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^D e b u f f _ ^A ^T ^T ^A ^C ^K ,_ ^S c al d_ f o es \0
ENDIF x2
I think I got all that correct.

Note the Proper-caser letters (a^, b^, etc.) for the vanilla/VWF version, and all the DTE (two characters in one byte, e.g. ,_ al d_ es) in the Relocalized version. Both take up 35 bytes not including the trailing null terminator (\0, 36 with it included, any longer than that and you'll overwrite the Blaze Wall description). Also note the \n in the middle of each description: those are there in vanilla and I have no idea if they're required; experiment and see if the descriptions work without those.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: December 23, 2019, 09:03:43 am »
Awesome.  Thank you.  I tried the following:

'@OFF Spell.Info.Fire_Bouquet
'TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ b^ a^ t^ t^ l^ e^ _ p^ o^ w^ e^ r^ . \0
'IF [Text]
'IF Relocalized ' compat
'TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^D e b u f f _ ^A ^T ^T ^A ^C ^K ,_ ^S c al d_ f o es \0
'ENDIF x2

IF _Mud_Saber_-_Replaces_Stone_Saber ' compat
TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / ^P ^E ^T ^R ^I ^F ^I ^E ^S _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized ' compat
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P \n ,_ ^P ^E ^T ^R ^I ^F ^Y _ f o es _ w it h _ h o t _d us t \0
ENDIF x3

IFNOT _Mud_Saber_-_Replaces_Stone_Saber ' compat
IF [Miscellaneous]
IF Enable_Paralyze_Status
TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / ^M ^I ^R ^E ^S _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized ' compat
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^M ^I ^R ^E _ f o es _ w it h _ h o t _d us t \0
ENDIF x5

I don't suppose the first part is necessary (which is why I put '), since that's the default value.  The third part (no Mud Saber, Paralyze ON) works great, for both vanilla and Relocalized.

The second part (Mud Saber ON) has some problems.  The vanilla works great, but for Relocalized, there's a huge space gap between "3 MP" and "PETRIFY foes".  When I remove "\n", few of the letters overlap.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, is it possible to reduce the original code:
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.Effects
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Effect%
ADR.16 Spell.Effect.Petrify
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Target%
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies
ENDIF
IFNOT _Mud_Saber_-_Replaces_Stone_Saber
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.DamageAndEffects
ADR.16 Spell.Effect.Paralyze
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Power%
RAW 2B
ENDIF

IF [Miscellaneous]
IFNOT Enable_Paralyze_Status ' compat
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.DamageAndStats
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Down
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies
RAW 2B
ENDIF x2
IFNOT [Miscellaneous]
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Down
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies
RAW 2B
ENDIF

to this?:
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Down
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies
RAW 2B

IF _Mud_Saber_-_Replaces_Stone_Saber
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.Effects
ADR.16 Spell.Effect.Petrify
ENDIF

IF [Miscellaneous]
@OFF Spell.List.Speed_Up
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.DamageAndEffects
ADR.16 Spell.Effect.Paralyze
ENDIF x3
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 10:03:24 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 23, 2019, 03:18:52 pm »
Again, not tested, but based on your description of what is going wrong, I suspect the \n has to be a certain number of characters in to the text.

Note that for defaults and the one you says works, \n is the 14th character (,_ counts as two characters). So I suspect you need to put the \n between the ^F and ^Y.

Also note that "scald" generally means to burn with liquid (or steam) so personally I don't think that word fits the theme of Dust Flare. The Relocalized descriptions seem pretty reasonable, especially given the space constraint.

I'm sure the code reduction can be put in; looks good.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 23, 2019, 08:38:36 pm »
Excellent, it works.  Test and verified.  Here's the description update:

'TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ b^ a^ t^ t^ l^ e^ _ p^ o^ w^ e^ r^ . \0
'IF [Text]
'IF Relocalized ' compat
'TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^D e b u f f _ ^A ^T ^T ^A ^C ^K ,_ ^S c al d_ f o es \0
'ENDIF x2

TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ ^P ^E ^T \n ^R ^I ^F ^I ^E ^S _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized ' compat
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^P ^E ^T ^R ^I ^F \n ^Y _ f o es _w i th _ h o t _d us t \0
ENDIF x3
IF [Miscellaneous]
TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ s^ c^ a^ \n l^ d^ s^ / ^M ^I ^R ^E ^S _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized ' compat
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^M ^I ^R ^E _ f o es _w i th _ h o t _d us t \0
ENDIF x5

IFNOT _Inferno_Barrier_-_Replaces_Blaze_Wall ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Blaze_Wall%Power% ' ensures Blaze Wall is not inferior to Dust Flare in power
RAW 2B
@OFF %Spell.Data.Blaze_Wall%Cost%
RAW 03
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized ' compat
@OFF Spell.Info.Blaze_Wall
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3
ENDIF x3

I'm not sure if the original description is necessary (one in '), so if you think it should be removed, please remove it.  I kept the "scald" part of the description (for some) as a homage to the original description.  And finally, I reduced the MP cost of Blaze Wall (I increased its PWR in the previous patch) and changed a bit of Blaze Wall description (to not make Blaze Wall inferior to Dust Flare in pwr/cost).

Do you think I should add something here that gives one of the spells an ATK DOWN, if [Enable_Paralyze_Status] is on? (that makes Dust Flare do Petrify or Mire, hence making no spells have ATK DOWN).  I'm thinking Lava Wave (I know one of the patches make Lava Wave have ENGULF, but Flame Saber can cause that too, so...).  I can do something like this:

IFNOT Spell_Balance_Overhaul ' compat
IFNOT Lava_Wave_-_Engulf
IF [Miscellaneous]
@OFF Spell.List.Lava_Wave
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lava_Wave%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Down
@OFF Spell.Info.Lava_Wave
TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ p^ o^ w^ e^ r^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^D e b u f f _ ^A ^T ^T ^A ^C ^K ,_ ^S c al d_ f o es \0
ENDIF x6

Notice that this only works if [Spell_Balance_Overhaul] is OFF, since [Spell_Balance_Overhaul] changes the power of Lava Wave, which changes the spell description.

Or maybe you can create a sub-patch that has Lava Wave and Blaze Wall edit? (so people can choose and toggle).  What do you think?

Do not make this v1.0 yet.  I'd like to decide what to do with ATK DOWN thing.

I'll probably change the descriptions for few spells for Spell Balance Overhaul (mostly PWR and MP).  Could you please tell me where the original description is in ZPS?  Or must I search manually?  I can figure out the vanilla description (by taking pictures of the vanilla description), since there's no "combine letters" for it (although knowing where specifically they are in ZPS would save me a lot of time), but Relocalized description probably has combine letters.  Nevermind.  I did most of it manually.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, what exactly is "escapes reserved digit pairs"?  (ex: \ea,\ac,\ed)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:05:53 am by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 24, 2019, 03:16:18 pm »
My pleasure, they were only moving and never attacking. There is another bug, I think that weapon effect spreads amongst the other characters : for example, if you use a whip on a char, dragging monsters, if you attack the same monster with another char, it will sometimes have the drag effect too. Another example, sometimes let' s say I have glove level 3 on the boy which has sleep, sometimes the other chars will have the sleep effect too on their weapons but I don't exactly know if it's when attacking the same monster as the boy, or when he is charging.
When a weapon causes knockback, it knocks the enemy backwards relative to what direction the enemy is facing, not the player. The way the whip pulls enemies in, is it forcibly makes the enemy face away from the player before applying the knockback (so since their back is towards the player, the knockback sends them towards the player). I've always thought the knockback behavior was a little unintuitive though, so I guess I'll use this confusion over the behavior as reason to apply the opposite of the whip to some (maybe all) of the other weapons: make the enemy face the player before applying the knockback so they're always logically knocked away. I may keep a weapon or 2 as vanilla knockback behavior (maybe the boomerang? maybe the axe?) to have some variety in weapon behavior.

As for the status effects, that I'll investigate. Off the top of my head, I can't think of why that'd be happening since melee status effects are tracked per character, so the code that uses them would be hard pressed to pull the status effect from the wrong character, but it's not like there haven't been bugs in Turbo, let alone the vanilla game.

hmsong, yeah, I won't include the default descriptions (other than maybe dropping the Relocalized one in place of its RAW data for future reference).

Part of why I gave Lava Wave engulf, is looking at vanilla spell power, costs, descriptions, data, etc. it sure looked like the original developers had engulf on Lava Wave then removed it at the last minute because of things like it making the Fire Gigas too hard. So I consider it a restoration.

That doesn't preclude it from further changes. That sort of change would make more sense either as its own feature or as part of Spell Balance Overhaul.

As for the now missing attack down effect, it really doesn't have to make its way onto a fire spell. It would probably make the most sense to be put on something that's otherwise considered too mediocre to cast to try and make it possibly worth using, like Silence. Even in that case, I'd argue it shouldn't be part of Dust Flare: Dust flare changes Fire Bouquet into a petrify spell and makes it Gnome element, and to make room on Gnome exchanges it with Speed Up, and that's all it should do, further spell changes should be their own stand alone options that work with or without it. To reiterate, that's just my opinion.

I know you crossed it out, but I'm not sure what you meant by:
Could you please tell me where the original description is in ZPS?
If you mean, are all the spell descriptions already typed out in ZPS format, they are not, I just transcribed the Fire Bouquet ones by hand, looking at their descriptions in a hex editor.

Btw, what exactly is "escapes reserved digit pairs"?  (ex: \ea,\ac,\ed)
EA, AC and ED are DTE character pairs ("combine letters") but also valid hexadecimal numbers (0xEA = 234, etc.). It just means if you want to use them in text, like...
TEXT ^H \ea d b a n d \0
TEXT ^B \ac k p a c k \0
or something, they need that backslash. Note that there aren't Proper-caser versions of DTE character pairs, so they aren't usable in all contexts.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 24, 2019, 07:55:41 pm »
As for the now missing attack down effect, it really doesn't have to make its way onto a fire spell. It would probably make the most sense to be put on something that's otherwise considered too mediocre to cast to try and make it possibly worth using, like Silence. Even in that case, I'd argue it shouldn't be part of Dust Flare: Dust flare changes Fire Bouquet into a petrify spell and makes it Gnome element, and to make room on Gnome exchanges it with Speed Up, and that's all it should do, further spell changes should be their own stand alone options that work with or without it. To reiterate, that's just my opinion.

Ahh.  I see.  Okay then, I won't include Lava Wave edit.  But please leave the Blaze Wall (for non-Inferno Barrier users), since it's important to me to make Blaze Wall not inferior to Dust Flare.

I'll continue to brainstorm about what to do with Attack Down (I'll include that in Overhaul).  I don't want to give it to Silence, since that disables Magic, and if it weakens melee too, then it'll be very annoying.

As for my "Could you please tell me where the original description is in ZPS?" question, yeah, you understood my intent perfectly.  Thanks for the answer.

I'll have Spell Balance Overhaul ready soon.  I already completed some of it, but it's giving me some problems.  I initially did this:

IF _Speed_Down_-_Hit_And_Evade_Down 'compat
@OFF Spell.Info.Speed_Down
TEXT _ ^T a^ n^ g^ l^ e^ s _ a^ n^ d^ _ \n l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ ^A c^ c^ _ & _ ^E v^ a^ . \0
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 1 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^S ^L ^O ^W ,_ \n ^D e b u f f _ ^A ^C ^C _ & _ ^E ^V ^A \0
ENDIF x3

But it turned out the first part overwrites one of the pre-existing Primm's Gnome spells (assuming Relocalized is ON), giving a glitchy text in the description.  I'm guessing that's because vanilla description address and Relocalized address is slightly different.  So the best I can think of is to create a lengthy codes like:

IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
ENDIF x3
IF _Speed_Down_-_Hit_And_Evade_Down
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT _ ^T a^ n^ g^ l^ e^ s _ a^ n^ d^ _ \n l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ ^A c^ c^ _ & _ ^E v^ a^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IFNOT [Text]
ENDIF x2

If you have a better alternative, please tell me.

So do you think I should fix Dust Flare's description too, into the lengthy format too?  I don't want Dust Flare patch description to make problems in the future, for whomever that may create their own patch.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:24:23 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 24, 2019, 08:41:26 pm »
Regarding the spell changes, alright.

The downside to the overwrite-style compatibility fixups is pretty much exactly this situation. Vanilla Spell.Info.Speed_Down has 34 bytes of space, while Relocalized Spell.Info.Speed_Down has only 30, so your options are:
1) keep the Vanilla description limited to the smaller Relocalized limit of 30
2) use the more verbose IF / IFNOT cascade
3) something probably even more complex where you save the beginning of Spell.Info.Stone_Saber and restore it if Relocalized is On

For reference, the third version would look something like:
@OFF $%[]%00
COPY CAAD28 04 ' Spell.Info.Stone_Saber Relocalized
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Stone_Saber
COPY %[]%00 04
ENDIF x3

Annoyingly, you can't use Spell.Info.Stone_Saber with COPY, so it requires the Relocalized version of that address to be entered there manually. I might be able to change this, but it will require that I verify it won't break other things. It saves and restores the first 4 bytes of the Relocalized Stone Saber description because the description length difference is 4 (34 vs 30), so the maximum overwrite should be 4.

Also, you probably missed an "s^" on Tangles.

I wouldn't recommend the more verbose IF / IFNOT for Dust Flare, since both vanilla (and VWF) and Relocalized have 35 bytes available. The only way this changes is if Relocalized changes in the future, but that will cause a huge mess of compatibility fixes anyway, so unnecessary to worry about something that may never happen. Basically, keep things simple when possible; if something more complex is required later, it can be changed later.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 24, 2019, 09:51:59 pm »
Okay.  As you suggested, let's leave the Dust Flare description alone (so let's use the one I posted earlier).  Thanks for noticing the Tangle text error.  Fixed.

Here's the Spell Balance Overhaul update.  I used IF and IFNOT (I already had most of them done), so they're more lengthy than I expected, but the important part is that they all work.  I couldn't test every combinations, but I tested the basics, and they work great.

I also updated some spells:

-Stone Saber   4MP --> 5MP (If Defensive_Petrify is OFF)
+Blaze Wall   4MP --> 3MP
+Thunder Saber   3MP --> 2MP (If Silence patch is OFF)
+Revivifier   10MP --> 5MP
+Light Saber   5MP --> 2MP (If Balloon patch is OFF)
 +Light Saber    5MP --> 3MP (If Balloon patch is ON)

I also fixed descriptions for HP Absorb (Relocalized said it absorbs MP).  And I renamed some spells (for Relocalized) to match the original Japanese/SD3 spell names, and renamed Confuse (vanilla Silence) into Dizzy (since it causes both Confuse and Silence).

@OFF %Spell.Data.Stone_Saber%Cost%
RAW 05
RAW 02
ENDIF
IF [Balance]
IF Defensive_Petrify
RAW 04
ENDIF x3

IF _Dust_Flare_-_Replaces_Fire_Bouquet ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Fire_Bouquet%Cost%
RAW 02
ENDIF
IFNOT _Dust_Flare_-_Replaces_Fire_Bouquet
@OFF %Spell.Data.Speed_Up%Cost%
RAW 02
ENDIF

@OFF %Spell.Data.Cure_Water%Cost%
RAW 03

@OFF %Spell.Data.Flame_Saber%Cost%
RAW 04

@OFF %Spell.Data.Blaze_Wall%Power%
RAW 2B
@OFF %Spell.Data.Blaze_Wall%Cost%
RAW 03
ENDIF

IFNOT Thunder_Saber_-_Silence ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Thunder_Saber%Cost%
RAW 02
ENDIF

@OFF %Spell.Data.Lunar_Boost%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Up

IF Herbal_Boost_-_Replaces_Moon_Energy ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Revivifier%Target%
RAW Spell.Target.Allies
@OFF %Spell.Data.Revivifier%Cost%
RAW 03
@OFF %Spell.Data.Moon_Energy%Power%
RAW 64
@OFF %Spell.Data.Moon_Energy%Cost%
RAW 05
IF _Revivifier_-_Turn_Undead ' works because last thing before ENDIF
@OFF %Spell.Data.Moon_Energy%Target%
RAW SSE.Target.AlliesOrEnemies.WallBypass
ENDIF x2
IFNOT Herbal_Boost_-_Replaces_Moon_Energy
@OFF %Spell.Data.Moon_Energy%Target%
RAW Spell.Target.Allies
@OFF %Spell.Data.Moon_Energy%Cost%
RAW 03
@OFF %Spell.Data.Revivifier%Power%
RAW 64
@OFF %Spell.Data.Revivifier%Cost%
RAW 05
IF _Revivifier_-_Turn_Undead ' works because last thing before ENDIF
@OFF %Spell.Data.Revivifier%Target%
RAW SSE.Target.AlliesOrEnemies.WallBypass
ENDIF x2

@OFF %Spell.Data.Light_Saber%Cost%
RAW 02
IF Light_Saber_-_Balloon ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Light_Saber%Cost%
RAW 03
ENDIF

@OFF %Spell.Data.Lucent_Beam%Power%
RAW 4F
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lucent_Beam%Cost%
RAW 04

@OFF %Spell.Data.Lucid_Barrier%Cost%
RAW 06

@OFF %Spell.Data.Freeze%Power%
RAW 2B

@OFF %Spell.Data.Acid_Storm%Power%
RAW 3D
@OFF %Spell.Data.Acid_Storm%Cost%
RAW 04

@OFF %Spell.Data.Energy_Absorb%Cost%
RAW 03

@OFF %Spell.Data.Fireball%Power%
RAW 2B

IFNOT Hellfire_-_Replaces_Exploder ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Exploder%Cost%
RAW 03
ENDIF

IFNOT Lava_Wave_-_Engulf ' compat
@OFF Spell.List.Lava_Wave
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lava_Wave%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.Attack.Down
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lava_Wave%Power%
RAW 3D
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lava_Wave%Cost%
RAW 04
ENDIF

@OFF %Spell.Data.Thunderbolt%Cost%
RAW 03

@OFF %Spell.Data.Silence%Cost%
RAW 01

IF _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lunar_Magic%Cost%
RAW 03
ENDIF
IFNOT _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade
@OFF Spell.List.Lunar_Magic
ADR.16 SSE.Func.Detrimental.Stats
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lunar_Magic%Stat%
RAW SSE.Stat.All.Down
@OFF %Spell.Data.Lunar_Magic%Cost%
RAW 04
ENDIF

IF _Burst_-_Health_Cost ' compat
@OFF %Spell.Data.Burst%Target%
RAW Spell.Target.Enemies.WallBypass
ENDIF
IFNOT _Burst_-_Health_Cost
@OFF %Spell.Data.Burst%Cost%
RAW 05
ENDIF

@OFF %Spell.Data.Dark_Force%Power%
RAW 4F
@OFF %Spell.Data.Dark_Force%Cost%
RAW 04

@OFF %Spell.Data.Dispel_Magic%Cost%
RAW 02

' ---

IF [Text] ' compat
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Text.Gem_Missile
TEXT ^D  i  a  m  on d_ ^M  is s  i  le \0
@OFF Spell.Text.Blaze_Wall
TEXT ^B l a z e_ ^W a ll \0
@OFF Spell.Text.Silence
TEXT ^D i z z y \0
@OFF Spell.Text.Analyzer
TEXT ^D e t e c t \0
@OFF Spell.Text.Dispel_Magic
TEXT ^A n t i - ^M ag i c \0
@OFF Spell.Text.Lucid_Barrier
TEXT ^T w in k le _ ^B ar r i er \0
TEXT _ 5
@OFF Spell.Info.Speed_Up
TEXT _ 2
@OFF Spell.Info.Cure_Water
TEXT _ 3
@OFF Spell.Info.Flame_Saber
TEXT _ 4
@OFF Spell.Info.Lunar_Boost
TEXT _ 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^B u f f _ ^A \n ^T ^T ^A ^C ^K _w it h _ l u n ar _ p ow er \0
@OFF Spell.Info.Moon_Energy
TEXT _ 3
@OFF Spell.Info.Revivifier
TEXT _ 5 _ ^M ^P ,_ 1 0 0 _ ^P ^W \n ^R ,_ ^R e v i ve _t ar g e t s_ f r om _ ^D ^E ^A ^T ^H \0
@OFF Spell.Info.Light_Saber
TEXT _ 2
@OFF Spell.Info.Lucent_Beam
TEXT _ 4 _ ^M ^P ,_ 7 9
@OFF Spell.Info.Lucid_Barrier
TEXT _ 6
@OFF Spell.Info.Freeze
TEXT _ 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3
@OFF Spell.Info.Acid_Storm
TEXT _ 4 _ ^M ^P ,_ 6 1
@OFF Spell.Info.Energy_Absorb
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^S ^T ^E ^A ^L _ ^H
@OFF Spell.Info.Fireball
TEXT _ 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3
@OFF Spell.Info.Thunderbolt
TEXT _ 3
@OFF Spell.Info.Silence
TEXT _ 1 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^C ^O ^N ^F ^U ^S \n ^E _ & _ ^S ^I ^L ^E ^N ^C ^E _ f o es \0
@OFF Spell.Info.Dark_Force
TEXT _ 4 _ ^M ^P ,_ 7 9
@OFF Spell.Info.Dispel_Magic
TEXT _ 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^D is p e l \n _b u f f s ,_ w \ea@ p on s ,_ & _b  ar r i er s \0
ENDIF x2

IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 2
ENDIF x3
IF [Balance]
IF Defensive_Petrify
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 4
ENDIF x5

IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Blaze_Wall
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ 4 3
ENDIF x3

IFNOT Thunder_Saber_-_Silence ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Thunder_Saber
TEXT _ 2
ENDIF x3

IF Light_Saber_-_Balloon ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Light_Saber
TEXT _ 3
ENDIF x3

IF _Speed_Down_-_Hit_And_Evade_Down ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
ENDIF x3
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT _ ^T a^ n^ g^ l^ e^ s^ _ a^ n^ d^ _ \n l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ ^A c^ c^ _ & _ ^E v^ a^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IFNOT [Text]
TEXT _ ^T a^ n^ g^ l^ e^ s^ _ a^ n^ d^ _ \n l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ ^A c^ c^ _ & _ ^E v^ a^ . \0
ENDIF x2

IFNOT Hellfire_-_Replaces_Exploder ' compat
IF [Text] ' compat
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Exploder
TEXT _ 3
ENDIF x3

IFNOT Lava_Wave_-_Engulf ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 4 _ ^M ^P ,_ 6 1 _ ^P ^W ^R \n ,_ ^D e b u f f _ ^A ^T ^T ^A ^C ^K ,_ ^S c al d_ f o es \0
ENDIF x3
IFNOT Lava_Wave_-_Engulf
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT _ ^S c^ a^ l^ d^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ \n / l^ o^ w^ e^ r^ s^ _ p^ o^ w^ e^ r^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IFNOT Lava_Wave_-_Engulf
IFNOT [Text]
ENDIF x2

IF _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Lunar_Magic
TEXT _ 3 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^C o n j u r \n e _ c h a o s _ u p o n _ f o es \0
ENDIF x3
IF _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT _ ^C a^ u^ s^ e^ s^ _ r^ a^ n^ d^ o^ \n m^ _ e^ f^ f^ e^ c^ t^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IF _Lunar_Magic_-_Celestial_Cascade
IFNOT [Text]
TEXT _ ^C a^ u^ s^ e^ s^ _ r^ a^ n^ d^ o^ \n m^ _ e^ f^ f^ e^ c^ t^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x2
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
TEXT _ 4 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^D e b u f f \n _ ^A ^L ^L _ ^S ^T ^A ^T ^S \0
ENDIF x3
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT _ ^G r^ e^ a^ t^ l^ y^ _ w^ e^ a^ k^ \n e^ n^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ i^ e^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IFNOT [Text]
TEXT _ ^G r^ e^ a^ t^ l^ y^ _ w^ e^ a^ k^ \n e^ n^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ i^ e^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x2

IF Sleep_Flower_-_Poison ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Sleep_Flower
TEXT _ 2 _ ^M ^P ,_ ^S ^L ^E ^E ^P _ \n & _ ^P ^O ^I ^S ^O ^N _ f o es \0
ENDIF x3
IF Sleep_Flower_-_Poison
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
TEXT _ ^C a^ u^ s^ e^ s^ _ s^ l^ e^ e^ p^ \n _ & _ p^ o^ i^ s^ o^ n^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IF Sleep_Flower_-_Poison
IFNOT [Text]
TEXT _ ^C a^ u^ s^ e^ s^ _ s^ l^ e^ e^ p^ \n _ & _ p^ o^ i^ s^ o^ n^ . \0
ENDIF x2

IF _Burst_-_Health_Cost ' compat
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Burst
TEXT _ 0 _ ^M ^P ,_ 1 0 0 _ ^P ^W \n ^R ,_ ^H ar m _ ^S ^E ^L ^F _t o_ b l a st _ f o es \0
ENDIF x3
IF _Burst_-_Health_Cost
IF [Text]
IFNOT Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Burst
TEXT _ ^S e^ l^ f^ - e^ x^ p^ l^ o^ d^ e^ \n s^ _ t^ o^ _ h^ a^ r^ m^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ i^ e^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x3
IF _Burst_-_Health_Cost
IFNOT [Text]
@OFF Spell.Info.Burst
TEXT _ ^S e^ l^ f^ - e^ x^ p^ l^ o^ d^ e^ \n s^ _ t^ o^ _ h^ a^ r^ m^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ i^ e^ s^ . \0
ENDIF x2
IFNOT _Burst_-_Health_Cost
IF [Text]
IF Relocalized
@OFF Spell.Info.Burst
TEXT _ 5
ENDIF x3

I haven't touched the descriptions for Inferno Barrier and Shadow Saber, since they're both completely new spells that you created, and I figured you'd want to create the descriptions.  The same applies for kethinov's Hellfire.  It seems he did the description for vanilla Hellfire, but not for Relocalized.

I must thank you again.  Without you labeling where the spell descriptions were (esp for Relocalized), it would have been impossible for me to edit the things I did.  Btw, feel free to use my description codes to put in your other patches (ex: [_Speed_Down_-_Hit_And_Evade_Down], [_Burst_-_Health_Cost], and [Sleep_Flower_-_Poison]).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:54:02 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 25, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »
It's a very major family holiday where I am so I'll likely not be able to mess with this project for a couple more days (too busy eating / spending time in general with family, social obligations, blah blah blah). I have been reading your post as you've added to it, and it all looks great.

I'll definitely copy your approach to getting the Relocalized spell descriptions up to date (for the mana cost and power part); it hadn't occurred to me until seeing what you did that it would actually be that straightforward to do. I had in mind something really complicated that won't be necessary (I was considering adding a new event system command that could read spell data and format it as text, but that would've been a lot of work, and I'm not even sure if the spell description menu uses the full event system parser).

The fix to Relocalized's HP Absorb description I'll put in &(patches)\Relocalized\Fixes.asm

Timbo had also considered the name Tinkle Barrier for a short time, but in English tinkle also means to urinate (not even slang, it's a common secondary meaning for that word), sooo might want to take that into consideration. It's not unusable, but I know I definitely see "Pee Barrier" when I read that spell name and just have to assume there's no way that's the intent.

I really like the modified spell descriptions, I'll surely make use of them. I especially appreciate the attention to detail on grammatical style, namely how vanilla descriptions end with a period while Relocalized omits them. That's the sort of thing I'm picky about, but don't have to because you've got it covered.

To round out your knowledge, and because it's not like I ever explained it, in the "event system character table" when looking at the DTE definitions, did you notice the ones that ended with an @ at-sign? For example, there's /71 ow and then further down, /D4 ow@ as well. In game, they appear the same (as lowercase "o" and "w"); it's two different values that decode to the same two characters. Anyway, for some reason, Relocalized's ",_" uses the second form (value 0xD6 instead of 0x73). I'm going to swap ",_" and ",_@" in the definitions so that 0xD6 becomes the "normal" form, and 0xD6 is the alternate. Actually, when I get the chance I'll go check which DTE forms Relocalized uses for any that have an alternate and just make the definitions match Relocalized's choices. You don't need to change anything, I'm just pointing this out for information purposes.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 25, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »
Ahaha!  Tinkle means to urinate?  I looked it up, and you were right.  I did NOT know this.  Puts a whole new perspective of the SD3's spell "Tinkle Rain".  Honestly, I didn't even know the exact definition of tinkle either (only vague idea that it had something to do with light and sound).  Boy, I suck at English.  And it's supposed to be my first language.  Having said that, the original "Twinkly" doesn't sound good either.  "Tinker" doesn't quite fit with the "light" theme.  I guess I'll just compromise and use "Twinkle" (still fits in the name limit).  Updated.

By all means, use my patch to do what you need.  I'm flattered, actually.

Yeah, in the event system character table, I noticed the @ signs.  Luckily for me, you also put legends at the top -- "suffix, alternate DTE encoding (70/D3,7E/E1,etc.)", so I understood that it meant the same thing.  Thanks for telling me anyways.

When you fix the HP Absorb description in &(patches)\Relocalized\Fixes.asm, I assume you'd change the MP cost description back to 2 (since that was the original cost), so would my Overhaul still get the 3 MP cost?  I hope my Overhaul overwrites that.  Also, Relocalized had another error -- it said that Exploder is 3 MP, when the original was 4 MP (only the description was wrong).  Please put that in the Fixes.asm too.  But again, I don't know if my Overhaul (which makes Exploder into 3 MP) would overwrite that.

Since you don't mind nitpicking, please fix my previous Dust Flare spell description.  I originally posted (if Relocalized is OFF):

TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ ^P ^E ^T \n ^R ^I ^F ^I ^E ^S _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ s^ c^ a^ \n l^ d^ s^ / ^M ^I ^R ^E ^S _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0

But it should be:

TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ p^ e^ t^ \n r^ i^ f^ i^ e^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0
TEXT _ ^H o^ t^ _ d^ u^ s^ t^ _ s^ c^ a^ \n l^ d^ s^ / m^ i^ r^ e^ s^ _ e^ n^ e^ m^ y^ . \0

Vanilla doesn't seem to CAP the effects.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:41:42 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 25, 2019, 08:04:02 pm »
The closest English word I can think of that's sound focused and similar would be Jingle, though it also has at least two meanings (the sounds of bells, or a short melody). Jingle and Tinkle don't describe exactly the same sound, though I'd argue they're not especially different. Anyway, just brainstorming, I don't actually have any concrete opinion on that spell's name.

Regarding the alternate encodings, great. I was worried that small note wasn't sufficient and that the @-suffixed ones might be misunderstood as 3-character sets.

I'll be fixing it like so:
@OFF Spell.Info.Energy_Absorb ' MP -> HP
COPY Spell.Info.Energy_Absorb 14
TEXT ^H
So not only would any other changes propagate, Relocalized is applied very early in the patching process so almost anything else overwrites it.

Also note I set up Spell.Info.* to work with the COPY directive.

I'll get the unmodified Exploder description fixed in the same manner. It'll mean that Spell Balance Overhaul will then need to also overwrite the value in the description back to 3, but that's not difficult.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 25, 2019, 09:13:39 pm »
Thanks.  I'll just stick with Twinkle Barrier.  It sounds close enough to the original name.  And according to wiki, in ToM SD3, Tinkle Rain was named Twinkle Rain, so there's that (probably due to the whole urine thing).

I didn't know COPY directives can be used that way.  Nice.

For Relocalized, your document says that that Wall name limit is 5 characters (/$CA99EB Spell.Text.Wall   ' max  5), but it's actually 6 characters (^R e f le c t).  I thought I should let you know.

Btw, do you think you can make Equip screen display M.Def of armor they're equipping?  The vanilla only shows P.Def when equipping, and as a result, people underestimate the importance of wrist equipments.  Well, I did, when I first played the game (and I didn't know anything about SE protection).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:27:55 pm by hmsong »

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 25, 2019, 10:55:14 pm »
Sometimes for spacing reasons it can make sense to use COPY to make no changes and just copy something directly over itself. In fact, I'll do the same thing for Mud_Saber's descriptions so it serves as an example, and so I don't need to specify the hardcoded addresses of $CAAF1C and $CAAD45. You'll either need to wait for the next update for Spell.Text.* and Spell.Info.* to be usable with COPY, or you'll need to change their definitions yourself from /$CA#### Spell.Text.* (and .Info.) to /+CA#### Spell.Text.* (if you want to make use of that capability yourself).

The reason they weren't already /+ was because that's a hack; /$ is the "correct" definition, but the COPY directive doesn't work on addresses prefixed with $ (but can cope with a + prefix), while @OFF doesn't care what that first character is (though it requires an address to be 7 characters long), and the ADR directive only works with $, so won't work with these /+ definitions... but support for @OFF and COPY is more important in this case than @OFF and ADR. In many cases ADR is more important than COPY so I default to /$.

Updated Spell.Text.Wall's note to max 6, thanks. I counted those by hand, must've just messed up on that one.

One of my long term goals has always been to do something about an item stats display. It's difficult though; I've not figured something out yet.

zoolgremlin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Steam Profile Name: keeperofcastlegreydusk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 26, 2019, 12:46:27 am »
Merry Christmas everyone!  I realize I'm a bit late with that, sorry for my prolonged absence and everything...

Following on from what Queue said about ROMhacking being for fun, I've been getting my fun from a new game on Steam in the last few weeks (Bloons Tower Defense 5), and so my personal hacks/documents have been on hold, for much longer than I thought they would be.  If I don't get back to them before the New Year, then eventually sometime in 2020 I will.  Until then, my files on Google Drive are still available to peruse at anyone's leisure.  :)

I just Downloaded all the Turbo releases that were still available for free download, and will check them out sometime.  Don't worry, I intend to keep checking the progress of this Project and archive all the Posts made, until the Project wraps up.  Errrm... if it ever does, hehe.  I will also keep supporting the site through Patreon, even if I'm not here personally as often as before.

It looks like kethinov is also taking extended leave to work on other things.  I will get back to reviewing his mods as well, at some point.  Wouldn't be surprised if he comes back with a whole new package of mods someday, again... hehe.   :D

@Queue:  I noticed that your free download expiry period on "uploadfiles.io" is now 30 days, up from 7.  That's certainly great for us, but can I ask why that changed?  Hope you are well, talk again soon.    :beer:

hmsong:  Good to see you again, and it looks like you're making real progress with your modding skills on Secret of Mana.  Glad to have helped, talk again soon.    :beer:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:12:16 am by zoolgremlin »
MASTER LINK:  Secret of Mana Information (Vanilla)

"Yes, the Author is indeed a horse!"  <zool>

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 26, 2019, 01:17:55 am »
Merry Christmas. =) Glad to hear from you.

Humorously (probably) the 30 day expiry is because that site changed their rules and that's now just the only option for an anonymous upload. If I try and pick 7 it just yells at me for not having an account (before it let me change it to any of the 30-days-or-less options).

Have you considered adding a link (or links) to your Google Drive data to your forum signature? The forum rules permit links in signatures, if you were concerned.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 26, 2019, 03:30:23 am »
Great to hear from you again.  Merry Christmas.

Yup.  I learned a lot from the documents you provided me.  I'm very grateful to you.  The documents you provided me and Queue's guidance really improved my skills.  Well, I still only understand maybe 10% of the stuff Queue does (and that's me REALLY high-balling it).  Still, that's way better than I used to be.

You know what kethinov's been up to?  I contacted him (email), but he didn't respond, so I figured he was busy with something.  What other games is he working on?  Or rather, how do you guys keep in touch with each other?  Is there another forum where you guys keep in touch with each other?

I just Downloaded all the Turbo releaseS that were still available for free download,

All the Turbo release"s"?  There are other game hacks that Queue released?  I didn't know that.  What other games did you release?

Also, do either of you have any other documents for other game?  Like the "Disasm - Enker, Regrs, zhaDe.zip" that you gave me for this game?

I hope you both have wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.  Where I am (Korea), Christmas was yesterday.