News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Primal Space (PC-98) English Translation  (Read 2751 times)

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
Primal Space (PC-98) English Translation
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »
Hello.  I'm new to this site/forum and wanted to share my progress so far on a fan translation of an obscure PC-98 edutainment(?) game called Primal Space.  I mainly decided for this to be my first ever translation project because the game uses Shift-JIS, which is fairly easy to work with, and I also thought It'd be cool for more people to play an obscure Japanese game that has almost no info online.  A decent chunk of it is done so far, although not all of it yet.  There's still some lines to translate and bugs I need to fix.  You'll see what I mean in the video below (which only shows a bit of the first chapter):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuHYRA-Di6M

As you've seen, I haven't changed any of the bitmap graphics and not I'm not sure if I honestly ever will.  And yeah, I know the quality of most of the translation is quite poor.  The reasons are that it's a machine translation, and there also simply wasn't enough space to put in the full English strings.  I unfortunately had to severely abbreviate a lot of the text, and I don't know how to insert longer text without breaking everything.  Though, my goal is for players that know absolutely no Japanese to be able to still understand what's going on a bit better than they would if they played the regular Japanese version.

But yeah, that's pretty much it for now.  Hopefully this will be finished sometime soon-ish.  Thanks for reading this.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Primal Space (PC-98) English Translation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:58 pm »
Welcome! It's sadly not often enough that someone's first post is of a project that they've already made good progress on, so I'm happy to see it. :) Although looking at the game, I have no idea what the hell is going on even with the English, so maybe some instructions might be helpful. ;)

the game uses Shift-JIS, which is fairly easy to work with

It is, I love it when games use it. I also did a PC-98 translation and thanks to some guys at the PC-98 Discord, I was able to make a simple assembly routine to change my 1-byte-per-character ASCII text into the 2-bytes-per-character Shift-JIS that the game expects, which gave me lots of room.

it's a machine translation, and there also simply wasn't enough space to put in the full English strings.  I unfortunately had to severely abbreviate a lot of the text, and I don't know how to insert longer text without breaking everything

Firstly, is it machine translation because you don't know Japanese? :huh: And secondly, as I mentioned, there are ways to get more text in there, but it might involve knowing a little assembly. With some help from others on this forum and the PC-98 Discord, you might be able to do it though.

Looking good so far, keep it up! But yeah, a readme file with your translation that explains the game a tad would be useful. :D

hollowaytape

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • The devil enjoys the grief
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:19 pm »
Hey, this is exciting! Never heard of this game. I agree that it is kind of hard to tell what the gameplay is like from the video, can you say more about it?

Very curious about what the other chapters will cover...

Here's a link to the aforementioned PC-9800 Discord.
46 OkuMen's PC-98 romhacker.
Finished: E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution | Rusty | CRW: Metal Jacket
In Progress: Appareden | Different Realm | ??? | ??? | ???
Solo Projects: Possessioner | ???

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:03 pm »
Hello, and thanks for the support so far!

I'll try to explain the start of the game:

You start the game out by setting some variables yourself or by choosing some presets (under the "Load Setting" option).  You may save your variables for use again by clicking "Save Setting."  You can set the time it takes for the galaxy to form, set the time it can take for it to blow out, set the rotation angle, minimum explosion size, maximum explosion size, aspect ratio, and the height.  When you're done, you press OK and watch everything play out.  This starts with the big bang, and then that leads onto the first chapter, which shows the birth of living organisms.  I believe there's five chapters in total, six if you count the big bang prologue.  You can make various choices throughout the game, like kill all the life in the area you picked, get an external view of a planet, view how well life is surviving in a particular area, etc.

And yeah, if the text continues to be somewhat cryptic and abbreviated, I'll probably include a legend explaining what it all means.  Like, for example:
S.S - Star System
Evo.Lv - Evolution Level
MPEff. - Mind Power Efficiency

You get the idea.  And to answer the question as to why I'm using a machine translation, I know next to no Japanese other than I can pronounce words quite well.  I don't personally know anyone who could help me give do better translation, either, so oh well.  If anyone wants to help, feel free to do so, but I don't really expect anything like that.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:22:29 pm by thepirategamerboy12 »

MatatabiMitsu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:46:54 pm »
Actually this forum is full of translators, and we especially like it when someone says 'hey I've got this whole game hacked, have the script, and can re-insert English text into the game, will someone translate it for me?'

I'm not offering myself since I have my hands full at the moment but if you put up a request with some screenshots or video to show you can actually hack the game and insert the English text I'm sure someone will bite eventually.

Don't use machine translation. If your intent is for English-speakers to really enjoy this game you should put in the effort to get a good translation for it.

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:53 pm »
Well, at the moment, I know how to find Japanese strings in a hex editor (wxMEdit) and replace them with English ones that will fit.  I don't yet know how to properly extract every line of text in BB.EXE into a neatly laid out file.  If I can ever do that, I'll put up something.  If anyone would like to help me with that, please let me know, and if anyone ever offers to help with the translation aspect, I'll gladly accept and redo much of the text.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 03:39:58 am »
Actually this forum is full of translators, and we especially like it when someone says 'hey I've got this whole game hacked, have the script, and can re-insert English text into the game, will someone translate it for me?'

Very true. If you come to the forum asking for a translator for a game you'd like to see in English, you might not get much luck. But if you say "here's the script dump, here's a video of English inserted into the game, can someone translate it", then you're far more likely to get a result, since it's clear that their hard work won't be in vain.

I would do it myself, of course, but the demands on my time mean that I don't want to commit to anything at the moment, for fear of disappointing someone. :)

Also, while I echo the "don't use machine translation" comment in principle, it can be a quick and dirty fix, and something that can be a placeholder for a proper effort: once the game is fully changed to English, it'll be easier to change the words. But of course, it'd save time to just do it properly from the beginning.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:28:49 am »
This game looks similar to SimEarth, only on a galaxial scale. For a machine translation it looks pretty good. The text reminds me of an old Mac game.

It's nice to see PC-98 games get translated, you're doing a good job.

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 11:56:03 pm »
I've gone back to work on this after a little while.  Anyways, I've ripped all of the text strings stored in the .DAT files.
 It was super easy to rip these, thankfully, since they're pretty much renamed .TXT files.  These strings are used in the help messages, etc.  I would really appreciate it if someone could translate these strings for me, as I do want to make this translation better quality.  Please contact me through PMs if interested, and you will of course be credited.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:53:22 pm by thepirategamerboy12 »

SkyeWelse

• A Rocket Knight exploring Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • Retro-Type
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 07:17:40 pm »
Great to see more PC-98 translation projects and I wish you success with this one! If there are some bitmap graphics that require editing in Japanese, I can certainly take a look once I have some time after my Appareden graphic edits are finished.

Also, I'd be happy to test builds on real PC-98 hardware if you would like.

-SkyeWelse

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 04:25:12 am »
Yeah, it would be very nice if you could please help me with the bitmap graphics sometime.  There is some Japanese in the game as bitmaps, and I pretty much have no idea about what to do there. 

I have a real PC-9821 Cs2, so I can test it myself, but I guess it wouldn't hurt if you have a different model than me.
Great to see more PC-98 translation projects and I wish you success with this one! If there are some bitmap graphics that require editing in Japanese, I can certainly take a look once I have some time after my Appareden graphic edits are finished.

Also, I'd be happy to test builds on real PC-98 hardware if you would like.

-SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse

• A Rocket Knight exploring Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • Retro-Type
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:50 pm »
I think the trick will be to figure out how to convert the graphics files, which I believe are CR_ files and/or possibly CM_ files. ex. CR1-CR4 files and CM1-CM4. That's always a challenge when working with these custom formats.

Only problem there is there are a lot files to go through...

Spoiler:
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ANI_GOOD.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ANI_JUMP.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CONG_L.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\HEAD0.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\HEAD1.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\HEAD2.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PATTERN0.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\RELATMSK.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\TITLE.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\WELCOME2.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\WELCOME3.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\WELCOME4.CR1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CORP.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\LIFE_BG.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\NAME.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\T_TRUTH0.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\T_TRUTH1.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\T_TRUTH2.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\T_TRUTH3.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\WORK.CR2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CHAPT0.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CHAPT1.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CHAPT2.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CHAPT3.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CHAPT4.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CHAPT5.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\END_MSG.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\NEWS.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\OCTAGON.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET00.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET01.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET02.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET03.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET04.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET05.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET06.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET07.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET08.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET09.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET10.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET11.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET12.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET13.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET14.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLANET15.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PRELUDE.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PRODUCE.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\SELECT.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ZOOMOCTA.CR3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CPRIGHT.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\END.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\FFLOGO.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\GAMEOVER.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\INFO_BAR.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\RELATWIN.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\SELECT.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\TITLE.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\XING.CR4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ANK08.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ANK08OUT.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ANK16.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\CONGRAT.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\MINIFACE.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\MOUSE.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\MP_TITLE.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_COMPAC.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_MAP.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\SYMBOL.CM1
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\DISKICON.CM2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\LIFE_BG.CM2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_VACCIN.CM2
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\PLATE.CM3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\RELATHEX.CM3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_BKHOLE.CM3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_EWAVE.CM3
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ACTION.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ENDTRUTH.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\HUKIDASI.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\KUTIPAKU.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\NAVI_OBJ.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\RELATSYM.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_EFFECT.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_HERE.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_PACKET.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_TAG.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_TOPICS.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_TRUTH.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\S_VIRUS.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\TRUTH.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\VIEWER.CM4
PS\PS_SYS.DAT\ANI_BAD.CR1

-SkyeWelse

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 12:09:53 am »
True...

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 03:49:33 pm »
Unfortunately, I still haven't found anyone interested in helping with the translation.

I'll just publicly post a TXT file containing all the .DAT file strings here.  These were the easiest ones to extract.
https://mega.nz/#!allRRK7Q!MWIy8l2ma7Ph5w-I2kk7v8z3wRRD38IDtrI7FJqJFmw

And since there hasn't been an update in a while, I'll share the latest version of my modified EXE.  Just replace the original BB.EXE with this new one and it should work. 
https://mega.nz/#!649XHKrB!2FS7EjfqgKbl5zq4Lnjqb31hDjkk3jnwp6HQct3pwrw

Of course, be aware that this is still unfinished.  There have been a number of changes since the video I posted, but it's still machine translated at the moment and there are some bugs where text occasionally doesn't display correctly.

If nothing comes of a proper .DAT text translation, I'll just go ahead a machine translate those too.  I'll submit it to the site proper when I feel it's ready enough.  Anyways, please tell me what you all think so far.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:38:21 am by thepirategamerboy12 »

thepirategamerboy12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 01:18:18 am »
Despite not having much luck finding a translator, I've started experimenting with changing the text in the .DAT files.  Some good news is that the text can seemingly be as long as you want, but make sure to place line break markers (\n).  lol