News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kirby Superstar Graphics Editing  (Read 1877 times)

IamRifki

• View Profile
Kirby Superstar Graphics Editing
« on: January 28, 2019, 07:55:33 am »
Hi there, I was wondering if it's possible to edit the Graphics in Kirby Superstar, I know about YY-CHR, but it seems that I have to have the palette file to get the colors to display properly, where can I get that?

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
Re: Kirby Superstar Graphics Editing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:24:29 pm »
You get the palette by playing the game in ZSNES and getting to a point where the sprite you want to edit becomes visible, and make a ".ZST" save state. Tile Molester and other programs can take the palette you need from that ".ZST" save state.

I recommend using vSNES to extract the palette into a format you can use for Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9, so you can do your edits in Paint Shop Pro if you desire.

IamRifki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:38 pm »
Is there any other way I can hack the Graphics in this game?, I tried ZSNES but it's super buggy for reasons that people in the emulation scene probably already know why.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 06:28:32 pm »
Do you see the graphics at all in the ROM? (even with the wrong colors)
If you can't find the graphics at all, then they are probably compressed and unless someone has already documented the compression or written a tool, it will take advanced skills (such as knowing 65816 ASM) to modify them.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:17:11 pm »
I tried ZSNES but it's super buggy for reasons that people in the emulation scene probably already know why.
People were playing Kirby Super Star in ZSNES for years until something better came along.

You get the palette by playing the game in ZSNES and getting to a point where the sprite you want to edit becomes visible, and make a ".ZST" save state.

It was my understanding that .zst save states were exactly the same as snes9x save states?  Or did they diverge at some point?

This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 12:27:21 am »
ZSTs are uncompressed.
SNES9x savestates are zip compressed.
And I would assume the format even after uncompressing is different.

The fact that WindHex can open ZSTs and skip to the actual RAM contents of the savestates is pretty much the only reason I haven't deleted ZSNES.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

IamRifki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 03:15:25 am »
Do you see the graphics at all in the ROM? (even with the wrong colors)
If you can't find the graphics at all, then they are probably compressed and unless someone has already documented the compression or written a tool, it will take advanced skills (such as knowing 65816 ASM) to modify them.

Nope, however someone did make a decompression tool https://github.com/devinacker/exhal