News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Your (PC) Controller Preferences

Started by Sliver X, January 27, 2019, 01:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sliver X

Currently, I use Dualshock 3s with my mini ITX media PC and Dualshock 1s with my desktop machine.

The former I use via a newer(ish) version of SCP Toolkit, which provides Bluetooth and USB connectivity. For the latter I use an older version of SCP Toolkit with a PS2 to PS3 USB adapter.

Since SCP Toolkit presents the controllers as XInput (read, Xbox) controllers to Windows they just work with most games and such. I also got rumble support working, even for old DirectInput games via
a wrapper I found on a japanese website.

Sealed in the box PSOne controllers can be found for around $60 currently, so I ended up buying two: I used to run a Dualshock 2 as a DirectInput gamepad for ages on my desktop (Since like 2003 or so) but
really like having digital "triggers" with the Dualshock 1. It also appears the DS1's analog sticks have 10 bits of precision VS 8 bits for the DS2, which explains why they feel different (in a good way).

I bought a Dualshock 4 last year and used it with both machines briefly but it kind of sucks and doesn't get much use now.

What do you use?

Bonesy

I was using a PS3 controller with SCP Toolkit but recently switched to an 8BitDo N30 Pro 2 (the purple one).

Madtheswag

Quote from: Isao Kronos on January 27, 2019, 03:58:40 AM
I was using a PS3 controller with SCP Toolkit but recently switched to an 8BitDo N30 Pro 2 (the purple one).

Dang. I did the exact same thing. Only I have the 64 Pro 2.

Other than that, I got an adapter for the Wii Classic controller to USB last year, So I plug in my NES Classic controller when I want my NES fix.
I run a Windows XP. What else?

Disch

XBone controller.

Works out of the box on a Win10 PC with no additional adapters or trickery required, is the single best controller ever made from an ergonomic standpoint, and has a much better DPad than what you'll find most other places.

Madtheswag

Quote from: Disch on January 27, 2019, 01:03:53 PM
has a much better DPad than what you'll find most other places.

When I used a Xbone controller a while back, I was always uncomfortable playing platformers on it. The DPad placement is a little awkward. I guess really depends on what kind of game you're playing.
I run a Windows XP. What else?

Synnae

A PS1 controller. (The original, without analogs.)

Not very different from a SNES controller, except with 2 extra shoulder buttons. I only really play older 2D games so analogs don't matter.

Quote from: Disch on January 27, 2019, 01:03:53 PM
XBone controller.

Works out of the box on a Win10 PC with no additional adapters or trickery required

I was considering changing to that for exactly the same reason. But the single problem is that it only has 2 shoulder buttons. Do you know any PC-friendly 4 buttons option? Having an additional pair is a big deal to me.

Disch

Quote from: Madtheswag on January 27, 2019, 03:50:01 PM
When I used a Xbone controller a while back, I was always uncomfortable playing platformers on it. The DPad placement is a little awkward. I guess really depends on what kind of game you're playing.

The DPad placement is just fine for me -- especially for games like Dark Souls.  The DPad being on the right lets me reach my right thumb over to swap weapons without having to stop moving -- something I didn't realize I did very often until I used a PSX controller briefly.

Quote from: Synnae on January 27, 2019, 04:37:12 PM
I was considering changing to that for exactly the same reason. But the single problem is that it only has 2 shoulder buttons. Do you know any PC-friendly 4 buttons option? Having an additional pair is a big deal to me.

You're not counting the triggers because they're analog?  I guess I can see how that might be a problem.

Dunno of any good button alternatives.  Sorry.

Sliver X

Quote from: Synnae on January 27, 2019, 04:37:12 PM
A PS1 controller. (The original, without analogs.)

Not very different from a SNES controller, except with 2 extra shoulder buttons. I only really play older 2D games so analogs don't matter.

This may be something that fits your criteria?

Synnae

^ Looks pretty nice, and inexpensive too. Thanks for the information.

I will try to get one when the opportunity arises.

POWCo-op

A PS4 controller. Even though the D pad isn't as good as the Vita's, it's still OK.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

SleepyFist

Iv'e recently discovered that Switch Pro controllers can bluetooth connect to my new computer, so considering that I have more of those than I do PS4 controllers I'll probably stick with those.

Oh, yeah right, I also need to mention that the Gravis Gamepad is super rad.

Disch

I had a Gravis Gamepad Pro back in the day.  Unless they've updated it, its D-pad was the worst of the worst trash.  Though granted this was maybe 10 years ago so it's probably improved a lot.

SleepyFist

Quote from: Disch on January 31, 2019, 12:01:47 AM
I had a Gravis Gamepad Pro back in the day.  Unless they've updated it, its D-pad was the worst of the worst trash.  Though granted this was maybe 10 years ago so it's probably improved a lot.

The original SNES style pad was the first PC gamepad I owned and it was pretty nice, I hear that they really declined in quality later on though, probably around the time the "pro" version came out.

Sliver X

I had a couple of the PSX clone Gravis pads in the 90s, and while the dpads did suck a bit they were amazing for their ability to daisy chain into each other (Since most PCs had a single gameport before USB became a thing) and to have more than the maximum 8 buttons the BIOS/DOS joystick protocol could support.

The USB version that came out after the gameport one, though, was complete garbage: they somehow made the dpad even worse (Fighting games were unplayable) and since connecting multiple USB gamepads wasn't a problem there was no reason to suffer it.

Fuck, I'm old.

MegaManJuno

I also could never really get used to the Gravis d-pads.

Back when I was still in high school, I think we had one of the old SNES-clone ones with the screw hole in the middle to screw in a mini-joystick. I recall the d-pad always felt dodgy compared to our NES and SNES controllers.

After I left home, I picked up a Gravis Xterminator. While it was cool for having things like a throttle slider and analog paddles, the d-pad was again pretty dodgy from what I recall.

After that, I picked up a couple of the Radio Shack PS1/PS2 to USB adaptors. I used PS1/PS2 controllers on my PC for a long while after that, until I eventually picked up a 360 controller with the wireless receiver. That's still what's physically connected to the PC, but at times I have minor issues with its d-pad too.

These days, for controller-based PC games, I generally stream to the Shield TV box in the living room. So, the 360 one doesn't actually get much use. I have an Xbox 1 controller paired to the Shield, as I hate the capacitive buttons on the old Shield controller (dodgy button "press" registering, won't register other presses of normal buttons + capacitive at the same time).

NERV Agent

I also had one of those PSX style USB Gravis Gamepad Pro controllers when I was young. I specifically got it to use with "Bleem!" (ePSXe wasn't around at the time). That middle screw-in mini-joystick would always break off, and the cork screw portion of it would break off and remain inside the D-Pad, which sucks. The first time it happened, I contacted customer service and they were nice enough to tell me how I could remove the broken off portion (with a needle or toothpick) and they even sent me a replacement screw-in mini-joystick for free. Then it happened again and I just bought a PSX to USB adapter instead.

I currently use a PS2 controller with Turbo fire and programmable macros on my Linux computer. This also means I had to go the extra step of installing DirectX into Linux via WINE Installer just to use the controller.

Linux does have native support for XBOX360 controllers, but there are no XBOX360 controllers that I know of that have a Turbo fire feature and programmable macros.

Before you tell me "ZOMG USE XPLADDER 2 PROGRAM BUTTONS STOOPID!!!", Xpadder is epic fail because it only emulates mouse and keyboard, which means you lose rumble features. Because...you know...keyboards and mice don't even have rumble to begin with.

FAST6191

After the joystick era* then originally I had a PS1 to USB adapter that I used for many years. A friend had one of the gravis things but it was less PS1 clone as much as 16 bit era clone. We used to use it to play genecyst where it worked OK..

*I did actually get a gameport to USB adapter a while back. Good stuff.

Anyway I eventually got a USB xbox 360 controller and it spent its life swapping between my 360 (I played it on my PC monitor) and the PC. If they could make a 360 pad with a proper dpad and microswitches it would probably be my perfect pad. I have a rotatable 360 dpad thing they made later in life for the 360 and while it is an improvement it is far from perfect.

PS3 pads always reduced my hands to a claw after a few hours of play (all day with a 360 one no worries). PS4 pad does better here but it would not be my first choice, merely an acceptable one for many things.

Nintendo stuff. Meh. GC is acceptable enough I guess, never cared for the classic pad. Waggle controls can stay for those things that want it (pretty much only Wii Metroid that saw any benefit), though nunchuck and mouse has me curious and I would not mind seeing what happens to the valve controller if I put the time in.

Old school MS. Controller S was OK. Not so keen on the xbox originals, their sidewinder line was good for the PC era of the time but that is not high praise (PC was something of a joke pretty much until everybody went with the 360 pad). I have not got the most time in on the xbone controller but it was good, still think I like the 360 more.

All this said keyboard and mouse does me well and I will take that where I can. I don't know how many hours I have in on PS4 battlefield 4 at this point but I still find myself defaulting to mouse type movements and feeling the limitations of pads.

EvilJagaGenius

One of these suckers!  https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuffalo-USB-Gamepad-BSGP1601BK/dp/B0031UCGLW/ref=sr_1_3/139-3085511-9080863?ie=UTF8&qid=1549128659&sr=8-3&keywords=buffalo+gamepad

Sadly due to my own stupidity and a bad paint job the buttons are stickier than usual.  Other than that, though, I'm pretty happy with it, I picked up two for splitscreen shenanigans and they do work well.  They feel nice in the hands, have rumble and all the buttons.

Quote from: NERV Agent on February 02, 2019, 06:19:01 AM
Before you tell me "ZOMG USE XPLADDER 2 PROGRAM BUTTONS STOOPID!!!", Xpadder is epic fail because it only emulates mouse and keyboard, which means you lose rumble features. Because...you know...keyboards and mice don't even have rumble to begin with.

Actually there's a program called AntiMicro I use that works a lot better than XPadder!  It doesn't have any rumble support, but it does run natively on Linux.  Open-source and all that jazz.
https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

NERV Agent

Quote from: EvilJagaGenius on February 02, 2019, 12:41:42 PM
One of these suckers!  https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuffalo-USB-Gamepad-BSGP1601BK/dp/B0031UCGLW/ref=sr_1_3/139-3085511-9080863?ie=UTF8&qid=1549128659&sr=8-3&keywords=buffalo+gamepad

Sadly due to my own stupidity and a bad paint job the buttons are stickier than usual.  Other than that, though, I'm pretty happy with it, I picked up two for splitscreen shenanigans and they do work well.  They feel nice in the hands, have rumble and all the buttons.

Oof. I used to use that exact controller a year ago with failtastic results.

Everything will work fine at first, about after about 1 year of heavy use the D-pad would get stuck in one direction. I found it impossible to play platformers like Mega Man that required precise movement with the D-pad.

That's why I completely ditched that controller and use a PS2 controller instead.

Not trying to diss you EvilJagaGenius or anything, nor am I saying you have bad tastes in things. All I'm saying is: Buyer beware!

Chronosplit

An 8bitdo.  It's the latest model or whatever.  It's a very nice controller but a bit more expensive, so at the price point I can see how some are juding them as overrated.  I do however use it a good bit between different devices so it can take a beating over half of a year.  It's yet to be seen if it stands up to the price though.

They may have fixed the D-Pad by the way.  I'm not having the commonly reported issue of phantom diagonal inputs that are fixed by pieces of tape under the D-Pad.