News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization  (Read 18787 times)

illuminerdi

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:35 am »
Just a heads up - this does not work correctly with BennVenn's El Cheapo SD flash cart on a GBC. Title screen and other screens are garbled.

The same patched ROM works fine on Retroarche Gambatte core, so I think it's something to do with the flash card. Any suggestions for how to fix would be appreciated, I'd love to play this on real hardware when I go on vacation in July.

May 16, 2019, 11:21:58 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Followup to my last post - I spoke with BennVenn and he was kind enough to analyze the patched ROM for me. Apparently the EJRTQ colorization uses the MBC1 memory controller, which is incompatible with older flash carts such as ElCheap < 2.0 and reprogrammed chinese bootlegs.

He was also kind enough to patch the ROM to use MBC5, which should make it compatible with those flash carts and reprogrammed chinese bootleg carts!

I haven't had a chance to test the patched rom yet, but once I've tested and confirmed that it does work on real GBC hardware I'll see about making an Addendum patch for anyone who is interested in playing this STELLAR colorization on real hardware.

Thanks again to the devs of EJRTQ for this amazing colorization (it's seriously gorgeous!) and to BennVenn for helping make this work more broadly on additional hardware :) You guys rock!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:21:58 am by illuminerdi »

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2019, 10:49:27 pm »
I got a flashcart in the mail the other day for my GBA, an EZ Flash Omega.  I haven't gone that far in Metroid 2 yet, but the colors are looking good and the music sounds fine.  So - I assume that means it's working on real hardware!  Or at least in Goomba Color.  I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2019, 07:46:32 am »
What more do you need? The good ending Samus was covered a few pages ago. The colorization is fully out and done.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1-3_-_addendum.ips (by triforce141)

Apply it on top of a ROM with 1.3 already installed
Thank You for reposting that IPS.