News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization  (Read 23407 times)

Metalwario64

• View Profile
Re: Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2019, 02:53:41 am »
Here's my attempt, using the method of removing the outline graphics to use the black space background to give the illusion of an outline:

Using this can give you a good blond hair, with the highlights from the lighter skin tone and an orange-red outfit that makes for good shadows (though a bit oversaturated, but it's in line with most of the GBC library), and is a cheap and easy way to separate the hair from the clothing.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2019, 04:01:36 am »
It's definitly the best version so far.  :thumbsup:

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2019, 04:14:20 am »
That one is pretty nice. Might be my favourite so far =)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Here's my attempt, using the method of removing the outline graphics to use the black space background to give the illusion of an outline:

Using this can give you a good blond hair, with the highlights from the lighter skin tone and an orange-red outfit that makes for good shadows (though a bit oversaturated, but it's in line with most of the GBC library), and is a cheap and easy way to separate the hair from the clothing.

That looks really good, you did a good job on it.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2019, 10:05:16 pm »
Hi, all. As there are still a couple things I want to add and thus it's only a beta right now and can't be posted on RH.net yet
I've downloaded it here. It's playable all the way through isn't it, or did you forget to update the original post?

Regardless, this is the best colourization of Metroid 2 thus far. The others have been good but yours takes it to that extra bit of excellence. Well done!

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2019, 06:28:50 pm »
I'm looking forward to a patch for the ending graphics! Thanks everyone for looking into this!

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2019, 12:55:42 am »
I'm looking forward to a patch for the ending graphics! Thanks everyone for looking into this!
Same. And I have to vote for the blonde in blue. Samus Aran is blonde, which is Nintendo canon.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2019, 01:07:24 am »
Same. And I have to vote for the blonde in blue. Samus Aran is blonde, which is Nintendo canon.

I like the blonde in blue as well. What also would be cool would be Justin Bailey red with green hair.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2019, 01:30:22 am »
I like the blonde in blue as well. What also would be cool would be Justin Bailey red with green hair.
And now we need a second optional patch XD

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2019, 10:15:23 am »
Here's my edit of the ending screen:

I edited the image that vivify93 uploaded by adding the orange color from ShadowOne333's edited image, and this the results.

Awesome work on those two!
I did my mock up so that I didn't need to change any graphics at all, just in case the sprites were compressed in any form.
If they are, then I would only be able to change the palette, if they are not, then I could for sure implement any of these two new sprites.

Does anyone have a save file / save state right before the sprite appears?
So that I can make an IPS with these palette changes.

triforce141

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2019, 11:33:05 am »
Does anyone have a save file / save state right before the sprite appears?
So that I can make an IPS with these palette changes.

I got a save file for the part right before you fight the original Metroids and a state before the credits start.

Uses the VBA-M core in Retroarch, couldn't really find a way to make the saves work in something like MGBA standalone in short notice

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510355811965337600/562296650291347508/Metroid_2_EJRTQ_Saves.zip

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2019, 02:40:36 pm »
Here you go ShadowOne333 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tFwNT39IB3TZQh-A0U_5JwWEuWM_ETIA
Ignore the dubious lack of time =P (I actually played through the game again just now and was just over the the 3 hour mark >_< )

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2019, 03:59:43 pm »
Thank you both for the saves!
I am using mGBA for the hacking, so I had to work my way up to the Metroid Queen to make a proper save state.

Turns out the sprite of Samus at the end is not compressed, so it seems like I will be able to make Metalwario64's mockup a reality.
I will post any update later today or tomorrow, stay tuned :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Success!

Now to be able to change the palette, all you have to do is:
  • Open up the patched ROM in a Hex editor (I suggest HxD)
  • In your Hex editor, go to offset/address 0x040026
  • Once you are in that address, type down the following data "1C 3F 6C 19 FF 01 42 00 F3 19".
    The last byte should be the "19" and it should be at 0x04002F.
  • Load up your ROM in your GBA emu of preference
  • ???
  • Profit!

This was ONLY the palette change.
If anyone feels adventurous enough, you can try implementing Metalwario64's new sprite, and then for the colours use these ones instead:
FF 4E 6C 19 BD 0E 42 00 9C 11

You should have a beige, yellow and an orange colour available for the sprite (in that order), so you can edit the sprite at will taking those colours into consideration.
Don't forget to remove the outerline from her skin.

You could try editing the sprite in YY-CHR or Tile Layer Pro, the address where the Samus sprite starts for that sequence begins at 0x017400 (2bpp)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:23:15 pm by ShadowOne333 »

triforce141

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2019, 01:59:58 am »
I managed to make a version resembling Metalwario64's attempt, apply this to a rom that already has the 1.3 patch
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510355811965337600/562512318936776719/metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1.3_-_addendum.ips

Big thanks to ShadowOne333 for hex and values needed for the color palette

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2019, 04:32:10 pm »
I managed to make a version resembling Metalwario64's attempt, apply this to a rom that already has the 1.3 patch
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510355811965337600/562512318936776719/metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1.3_-_addendum.ips

Big thanks to ShadowOne333 for hex and values needed for the color palette
That looks fantastic!
I was really running out of time yesterday, was about to check out of work and unfortunately didn't have the time to make the sprite editing myself, but I'm glad someone else managed to do it with the information I gave :)

Awesome work!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2019, 05:33:58 pm »
Decided to mirror it on Ze Bucket.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/metroid_ii_-_color_ejrtq_v1-3_-_addendum.ips

I think the only other major thing that needs to be done is some of the greens need to be lightened. I don't think they'd even be visible on a real GBC. I opened the ROM up in BGB and it's just plain too dark.

It seems like this mod was made with a GBA in mind...
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2019, 05:39:40 pm »
@vivify93 you mean making the greens a little lighter?
That could be done through palette editing as well.
Could also help to change the colours on the Metroids to fit the original design :P

Bit of trivia, this is my first time touching anything GB/C related in terms of hacking lol

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2019, 05:42:45 pm »

I think the only other major thing that needs to be done is some of the greens need to be lightened. I don't think they'd even be visible on a real GBC. I opened the ROM up in BGB and it's just plain too dark.

Yeah, either an SP model or an emulator. That's so dark that on a regular GBA it would be impossible to see since its LCD was even darker than the GBC.

Actually though, the GBC screens seem to up the gamma quite a bit, keeping blacks black but brightening darker colors. It might not look so bad on an actual GBC, but I haven't even taken a look at the base game yet so I don't know what the unaltered colors look like. :p

I don't yet have a GBC flashcart (though I really do want one), but running it in Goomba Color on a GBA and turning the gamma up all the way simulates the original GBC screen pretty well (I've compared them side by side doing this a while back), so I might check this hack out doing that at some point soon.

Quantam

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2019, 06:56:53 pm »

I don't know what EJRT did his work on, but I developed the code on BGB. I did notice that BGB is vastly brighter by default than other emulators. In fact I turned the brightness down some in mine, but it's still much brighter than any other emulator I've tried. I can only assume you've manually turned the brightness way down (or are using an older version with much darker defaults).

Default settings in BGB latest version:

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »
Oh, OK. I see. Well, I guess that shows how ignorant I am.  :D I still can't see the green in your picture on my monitor, though...
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2019, 03:44:30 am »
That would be cool too!