News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden games

Started by denshousha, January 13, 2019, 05:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denshousha

Hi,
Not sure where to post this. I was just wanting to do a simple hack on the 3 super butoden games. I wanted a hack so that that the hidden characters were always unlocked so that you didn't have to do those annoying codes over and over.
(Making Goku a hidden character... what was Bandai thinking!?!?)

Anyways, my brother knows how to do these things a bit:
Butoden 1: 7E005C 02
Butoden 2: 7E1534 01
Butoden 3: 7E1670 01

But we don't know how to convert these hex codes to Game Genie codes. It would be nice to be able to make .IPS files and all that with Game Genie Guy.

Cavery210

The PAL version of Super Butoden 2 (Dragon Ball Z 2: la L├ęgende Saien) has Goku and Broli unlocked from the start, but the versions of Super Butoden 1 and 3 still have SSJ Goku and Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks and Perfect Cell and Future Trunks, respectively, locked.

Gideon Zhi

These are RAM addresses; there's no way to turn them, as is, into patches. You'd need to find whatever loads from those addresses and reprogram it to always treat the values as 02 or 01.

KingMike

If you have the RAM addresses already, then that's honestly probably one of the easiest cheats you could make.

Use an emulator with a debugger to set a Watch Breakpoint for Reads on the desired RAM address.
Then the emulator will show the ASM code when it tries to read the RAM address to check if the codes are enabled.

It's likely to be something like
LDA 7E005C
CMP #$02
BEQ CharactersEnabledCode

Then you would just find the hex with the BEQ instruction and change the first byte to a BRA instruction (hex value 0x80).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

Quote from: KingMike on January 13, 2019, 09:40:42 PM
It's likely to be something like
LDA 7E005C
CMP #$02
BEQ CharactersEnabledCode

Then you would just find the hex with the BEQ instruction and change the first byte to a BRA instruction (hex value 0x80).

Or just change CMP #$02 to 01, that might do the trick. Regardless, it requires getting in the debugger and finding the specific instruction, but knowing the RAM address certainly saves time. If I get time later then perhaps I can figure it out for myself, since if you already know your way around 65816 assembly (as I do) then it should take no time at all.

#


Psyklax

So I'm having a look at Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden, having never played it before. What exactly is the code you provided supposed to do? The game does check that address and compares it to 02, so clearly putting 02 there does SOMETHING... but I don't see what difference it makes. If you can tell me what I'm supposed to see, I'll tell you what to change, and tell me about the other two games and I'll do them too. :D

#

Quote from: Psyklax on January 16, 2019, 11:56:02 AM
So I'm having a look at Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden, having never played it before. What exactly is the code you provided supposed to do? The game does check that address and compares it to 02, so clearly putting 02 there does SOMETHING... but I don't see what difference it makes. If you can tell me what I'm supposed to see, I'll tell you what to change, and tell me about the other two games and I'll do them too. :D
Like it was mentioned in the first post it unlocks the hidden characters. Just go to the character selection screen before and after applying the cheat and it should be fairly obvious. You don't need to do 3 as the patch I posted should work, unless you want to make one for the French version.

Psyklax

#8
Quote from: # on January 16, 2019, 12:07:20 PM
Like it was mentioned in the first post it unlocks the hidden characters. Just go to the character selection screen before and after applying the cheat and it should be fairly obvious.

I don't post without reason. :) I made the change and there's no discernible difference, there's still eight characters in Taisen mode. Perhaps the other two games will be different, but I want to solve the first one before those. Perhaps someone would be so kind as to provide before and after screenshots to show me what I'm supposed to be seeing, because right now I ain't seeing nothing. :D

FWIW go to 1708A4 and change B0 to 90 which reverses what it normally does (so no cheat gives you cheats while cheats turn it off).

EDIT: never mind about screenshots, I see a guy on YouTube doing the cheat, now I've managed to perform the cheat myself, and I see all the characters. Now just got to figure out why my change didn't do it...

#

The cheat works perfectly for me.

Here's the patch for Butouden 1(Japanese version): https://uploadfiles.io/ged98

denshousha

Thanks # for everything you've done so far. Patches for 1 & 3 work GREAT!
Sorry I didn't thank you sooner, I've been really sick.

moritasan2040

Ooh, nice! I'll have to add these to the versions on my Super NES Classic Mini. Unlocking them each time you turn it on is such an annoyance. I always have to look up the code...
Now if only some-one would finally translate those games into English. From Japanese, tho, not French. Lol. :)

niuus

Quote from: # on January 16, 2019, 02:13:26 PM
The cheat works perfectly for me.

Here's the patch for Butouden 1(Japanese version): https://uploadfiles.io/ged98
Really cool patches, any chance for a patch for the french versions? Thanks!

Quote from: # on January 14, 2019, 08:09:11 AM
Butouden 3 ips patch(Japanese version):
https://uploadfiles.io/b0uwr
Oh, and a mirror for that ips, if anyone has it already, the host says:
Premium Access Only
The free hosting period for this file has now expired, only premium users can download it.

#

#13
https://uploadfiles.io/rmt85

New upload of a zip file with the patches for the Japanese versions of Super Butouden 1, 3 and now also 2!

No French versions yet.

denshousha

#14
Hey thanks!
I noticed something weird with the patch for part 2.
It works great in SNES9X and SD2SNES! But when I try it on the SNES Classic/Mini in the native Canoe emulation, it doesn't work.

#

Quote from: denshousha on January 26, 2019, 05:36:37 PM
Hey thanks!
I noticed something weird with the patch for part 2.
It works great in SNES9X and SD2SNES! But when I try it on the SNES Classic/Mini in the native Canoe emulation, it doesn't work.
That is weird. It is a cheap hack, but it worked on all PC emulators I tried, including the ones known for being more accurate.

Try this new version:
https://uploadfiles.io/rmt85

denshousha


niuus

Quote from: # on January 26, 2019, 03:45:57 PM
https://uploadfiles.io/rmt85

New upload of a zip file with the patches for the Japanese versions of Super Butouden 1, 3 and now also 2!

No French versions yet.
Hi! I have some test reports for you:
Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden patch works on both JAP and PAL versions!
Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden 2 patch works on JAP versions, both 1.0 and 1.1. The french PAL version already has SSJ Goku and SSJ Broly unlocked!
Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden 3 patch works on JAP and KOR versions, doesn't work on PAL.

So, only part 3 would need a patch.  :thumbsup:

Recca

Interesting patches, but I may have an easier alternative:

After inputting the cheat codes to unlock the hidden characters, make a save state at the title screen via emulator. This way, you can just load the game instead of having to enter these codes again each time. This is just a suggestion.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

niuus

Quote from: Recca on January 29, 2019, 03:27:27 AM
Interesting patches, but I may have an easier alternative:

After inputting the cheat codes to unlock the hidden characters, make a save state at the title screen via emulator. This way, you can just load the game instead of having to enter these codes again each time. This is just a suggestion.
I think almost everyone already knew or thought about that before, which would make all unlock hacks redundant, per se. But the thing is, you're forgetting flashcarts users!  :beer:

Even those that would like to skip the extra step, as they are already doing with the cheat code.