News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: some graphics hacking issues  (Read 812 times)

blue newt

• View Profile
some graphics hacking issues
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:52:06 pm »
I just started out hacking Kirby's adventure for nes the the kale tool. I've been using tlp to edit the graphics, but the graphics are insanely scrambled. I've googled around and some guys say it's a problem with the graphics being compressed or something.

i'm just starting out, so I have no idea how to proceed. I wanna take an animated tile, like the water moving or something, and turn it into a simple snowing animation. any help would be fantastic. 

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: some graphics hacking issues
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:03:43 pm »
Kirby's Adventure is a CHR-ROM game which I thought by definition could not have graphics compression, but if I'm wrong and they are compressed, well then hopefully there is a compression tool out there. Because if not, then sorry, you won't be able to hack the graphics unless you want to learn the programming skills to take care of it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

torridgristle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:12 pm »
They don't appear to be compressed. If I'm right they're at 0x87010 with four frames.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:06:40 am »
Can you post a picture of these "scrambled" graphics?

#

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:03 am »
They don't appear to be compressed. If I'm right they're at 0x87010 with four frames.
They're not. You just need to scroll down quite a bit compared to some other games, which might be the issue here.

And if you're new to tile editing you might also be confused by the fact all sprites are in the same palette and many of the sprites are split into several tiles. This is all normal.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 01:39:05 pm »
Kirby does have compression that is not used for the graphic data in ROM, but it is used by the tilemapping in game. I didn't get far enough to check background elements...

The document with the routines is hosted here (known for being used in HAL Labs games), as I remember,  and I took some notes about it.

blue newt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:05 pm »
thanks for the comments guys. I actually figured it out last night. it took me forever, but I eventually discovered the tiles needed to be set to "vertical" and they looked a lot better. I found the water animation which was 4 separate frames spaced way apart, which I just changed to the snow thing. it looks pretty cool.