News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Underrated Games  (Read 12888 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Re: Underrated Games
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2019, 06:12:22 am »
I've always felt that both Quest 64 and Quest: Brain's Journey were greatly underrated. Sure, they may be simple style RPGs without a lot of fancy features, but they're certainly quite original in regards to how all the features have been implemented. The magic level system and moneyless aspects made both of these games stand out compared to other typical RPGs such as those in the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series. It's sad that Quest 64 was rushed though, it could've been better if they had more time to work on it. However, I still find both games fun to play, even though they're both a little short. Too bad the sequel to Quest 64 was cancelled. Based on what I've seen and heard, it probably would've been a pretty amazing game...
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2019, 10:36:59 am »
I was just reading about Quest 64 over at https://www.badgamehalloffame.com/blog/quest-64/ . (It's the most compelling writing about video games that I've seen in quite some time.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2019, 07:45:01 pm »
I've played it a few times, while it's not great it's not as terrible as it's made out to be,(the music is great for one)
funny enough the Japanese version is slightly more polished than the US version, with more time indev it really could have been great.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2019, 01:58:50 pm »
Good to see so many solid games being mentioned.  7th saga (not nearly as hard as people claim however), Alcahest, Shining souls 2 Ys 5 (don't forget 4) and Brainlord.  I beat Ys 5 and Brainlord again (beaten them multiple times) recently and the puzzles in BL can get downright nasty, especially coupled with some tough platforming maneuvers but happy to say I never really had to go to a FAQ, except to find a few very well hidden hearts.

Loved Lufia 1 and 2 for the snes but could not stand Ruins of Lore for the GBA or Secret of the stars and found Chaos seed (snes) to be over rated.

Cyber Knight 1 and 2 for the snes, once you get the hang of them, are solid games.

Dragon View (snes)

Magical land of wozz is really under rated.  Feda: Emblem of Justice for srpgs too.

Feel like Twisted tales of spike mcfang does not get enough love.

Wandering Souls I did not care for, the game that came before it, Mage Gauntlet was much better.  Better gameplay/flow, better music and sound, better graphics, more natural spikes in challenge, etc.

I really like Star Ocean second Story. seems to get a bad rap from a lot of people i meet. final Fantasy 8 is also just dogged by most people i talk to about ff games. Not exactly sure if i would consider ff8 underrated. Just going by what most people tell me. Also, Alone In The Dark The New Nightmare seems under appreciated. I guess after the enormous effect Resident Evil had on the population, it seemed to "die" away from most peoples thoughts. I play it a lot though.

Well, they don't know what they are talking about and don't like good games because it was received pretty high praise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean%3A_The_Second_Story

Reception

Aggregator   Score
GameRankings (PS) 79%
GameRankings (PSP) 76%
Metacritic (PS) 80/100
Metacritic (PSP) 75/100

Review scores
Publication   Score
Famitsu   (PS)   33/40
Game Informer (PS) 7.5/10
Game Informer (PSP) 7/10