News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Underrated Games  (Read 9696 times)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: Underrated Games
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 08:07:04 am »
It's possible that the translation patch didn't update the EDC/ECC checksums and Mednafen's on-the-fly error correction is wreaking havoc.

Quote from: Mednafen changelog
   Removed the warning in the documentation about error correction of raw data track rips, as Mednafen will now perform simple correction
   using the EDC and L-EC data(since 0.8.4-rc3).  This could conceivably cause problems with naive hacks/translations/patches that neglect to update
   the EDC and L-EC data, so it can be disabled by setting the setting "cdrom.lec_eval" to 0.
   L-EC correction is based off code from dvdisaster(http://dvdisaster.net/).

The setting mentioned above was removed ages ago, though. But you could try fixing the checksums by extracting and reinserting modified files using something like CDmage. Just an educated guess, but worth a shot. Unless it's a bona fide emulation issue with Mednafen. Then you're better off posting about this in their forums.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 01:16:33 pm »
I know that the ECC thing does all sorts of things to Beetle PSX.  For most of it, a run through ECC Regen is all that is required.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:23 pm »
Thanks, I guess I'll be picking up the discounted MagicEngine bundle at the end of the month then.  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Let me know if you have any trouble with audio stuttering. I may be able to help a bit.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2019, 02:35:02 pm »
I know that the ECC thing does all sorts of things to Beetle PSX.  For most of it, a run through ECC Regen is all that is required.
I'll try that, uhhh btw, how does one go about getting a copy of ECC Regen?
It looks like the place it was hosted has long since been sold off.

nvm Hot damn, looks like it's finally up and running! I just used CDmage > action > Scan for corruption > rebuild sector fields.
It's running fine under Bizhawk now sans a few crackles here and there, it also doesn't seem to need the audio dumped either.

I think I'll probably still pick up MagicEngine anyway, I could probably use a dedicated PCE emu, BizHawk is also throwing off video subtitles too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:21:47 pm by SleepyFist »
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 04:31:47 am »
Zoids Legacy for the GBA is another one of those rare gems that's not widely known. It features a story line that combines those of the different Zoids anime series into one. It has a lot of characters and Zoid machines to choose from which can also be customized and equipped with different weapons as well as other equipment. There's a lot of interesting tournament style battles some of which have different restrictions and requirements. It's a very fun game to play overall, with good music and graphics. The only downside unfortunately is that the actual translation itself is not best. It's still better than that of Breath of Fire II was on the SNES, but it could definitely use some script polishing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoids_Saga

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division for the PC also deserves more credit than it's given. Up to this day, I still think that it's the best FPS out there and I don't even like these types of games. Shogo is the only one that I was ever able to get into as an RPG gamer. Featuring anime style graphics, great music and levels, along with two modes of play: on foot and in a giant mecha robot, what's not to love? It's way better than all the other FPS games out there. And yes, I've tried the so called "popular" ones and didn't like them in the least bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPyJuK2daM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogo:_Mobile_Armor_Division

And last, but certainly not least, the Gothic and Risen series also for the PC (and a few consoles as well) is a wonderful, but horribly underrated and overlooked series. They're both amazing open world series of games that were made well before Skyrim (which took many elements from them) yet are not half as well known in the gaming world. There's also different factions, classes, equipment, spells, quests and options to choose from. It's honestly a shame how many great German and Japanese titles go unnoticed in the U.S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_(series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risen_(series)

Edit: I might as well mention Robopon 2 and Medabots, both for the GBA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robopon_2_Ring_and_Cross_Versions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medabots_(video_game)
Both games are great and often overlooked. They both feature interesting 3 on 3 turn based battles with lots of different customization options for the robots used by the player. And by the way, Robopon 2 is much better than the first one was. It kind of reminds me of Robotrek/Slapstick for the SNES mixed with a bit of Pokémon.

Ys V and Brain Lord for the SNES are also often overlooked. The worlds are nicely detailed and the fast paced hack and slash battle system is definitely a welcome addition in a time where most RPGs were turn based. Brain Lord also has a lot of puzzles which are well designed. Sadly, this game is often overshadowed by The Legend of Zelda - A link to the Past. Whereas, Ys V is great all across the board. It's a bit short compared to most RPGs (requiring about only eight hours to complete). Other than that though, everything else about it (the graphics, music and storyline) is perfect. The alchemy/magic combination system was also very unique.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_V:_Lost_Kefin,_Kingdom_of_Sand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Lord
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:41:24 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 01:02:08 pm »
Unfortunate that Robopon 1 does not seem to have saving correctly emulated.
A bit hesitant to trust original batteries in an actual cart. But at the least it seems that Robopon 1 used a special cart that actually allowed the battery to be easily removed (perhaps because the alarm feature probably drained the battery much faster than normal. Wish Pokemon Gen 2 would've thought of that. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 11:14:16 pm »
I kinda feel like sports games get underrated on the SNES, outside of NBA Jam TE or Tecmo games anyway.  Between the Genesis handling the most well known ones better and the yearly releases it's not very surprising.  There's a couple I still come back to though.

-Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball holds up.  Partially because the names are replaced except one (and you can rename) thus making it feel a bit more timeless, and and partially it has this neat not-as-realistic motif going on.  Winning Run doesn't hold up as much, and it's kinda sad because Rare of all people decided to go the ultra serious route.

-Looney Tunes B-Ball takes the NBA Jam idea and adds powerups of all things (turning the ball into a ticking time bomb you pass to the other team, throwing a pie and leaving a player unmovable for a bit, etc).  These are not as OP as you'd expect because they run off of a money meter, which is gained by gathering stuff on the court in a game where you don't have much time to do so.  There's also no teams.  You just pick some of the most recognizable cartoon characters with power bars to show their stats similar to how a kart racer or similar works, which means if someone doesn't know much about the sport there's even less to explain.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:41:53 pm by Chronosplit »

The Best NSMB64

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:56 pm »
Sorry I took so long to finally reply to my own thread, it was just because on most other hacking forums, I can post a thread without having to wait for it to get accepted by a moderator. But here, because I didn’t see it get uploaded in the subforum, I couldn’t know when it was uploaded unless I come back every day, which I was not willing to do, since I am usually looking at hacking tutorials and YouTube videos from people like Nathaniel Bandy and Ceave Gaming. Not like I hate the way this works, but it’s just something that slightly annoyed me, since on the other forums, like NSMBHD, anything that the admins don’t like can get deleted or if it’s a thread, then it can get put into the interdimensional trash can.

So let’s get to the point. I REALLY love the Battalion Wars series because of how well-built it is. It is pretty much a mashup of RTS and Third Person Shooter games. There also is a very small modding community for both of the games, but it doesn’t really get much recognition among most people. BTW it actually is kinda a spin-off of the Advance Wars series, so if you are a fan of that type of stuff, you should really check it out.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 09:32:03 pm »
It's an anti-spam feature.
So mods can nuke the spambots before anyone else sees them.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2019, 12:24:54 am »
Arch-Rivals (Arcade): Basically the predecessor to NBA Jam. Controls aren't as good as NBA Jam, though.

Mario Party Advance (GBA): Considered the black sheep of the Mario Party franchise, it focuses on single-player gameplay.

The Sims 1 & 2 (Console Ports): Very different compared to the PC original. Apparently, you can't have children in the sequel, nor are children programmed.

James5541

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2019, 01:07:40 am »
Shining Soul II is an great game that I never hear anyone talk about. It's not anywhere close to the level of RPGs like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger but it holds its own considering it's one of those obscure GBA games that we've all played at one point or another. Shining Souls II is a traditional Action-RPG with with a simple yet efficient leveling system. Upon leveling up in Shining Souls II the player is given skill points that come in two forms. There are skill points that affect basic stats and then there are skill points that are spent on weapon skills which will cause new weapon abilities to be unlocked. One of the main selling points of the game is the main character selection. There are several different playable characters with their own classes, unique stat allocations, and weapon specializations. The game's soundtrack is fairly dull but that's to be expected from a GBA game and the story isn't exactly thrilling but I'd still recommend it to RPG and Action fans alike. Overall I'd have to rate Shining Souls II a 7/10.
"Do a barrel roll"

Polargames

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2019, 08:58:33 pm »
A game that I really enjoined was Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 1&2 for the Nintendo 64. I felt that the games although were far from perfect, they just had something about them that made it fun to play. I thought that playing as a plastic toy in a video game was a very cool idea and I felt that it was an idea ahead of its time. The PS 1&2 versions were still bad IMO.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2019, 08:47:49 am »
Blaster Master and Bionic Commando for the NES. So many fond memories of playing these as a wee little one.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

elosga

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2019, 08:13:28 am »
Brutal legend. Yes, it may have been marketed as a hack'n'slash, and turned out to include a lot of RTS aspects (all the major fights) but it was surprisingly fun, the soundtrack was awesome, and Ozzy freaking Osbourne was the guy you bought your upgrades from. And up to a certain point, every time you went to see him, he's welcome you with a different line.

GundamBattleAssault2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2019, 01:38:02 pm »
Gundam Battle Assault 2

It's a crazy fun 2D fighting game. The mobile suits are all so powerful and interesting to play.

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2019, 05:33:50 am »
*The Twisted Metal Franchise (1995-2009)
The games are car combat games, about the Twisted Metal Tournament.
The first game is the one that started the franchise, but the second game is where the franchise started to get more violent. The third game continues the story from the second game and added new vehicles. The fourth game however changed the story from a tournament to a wandering circus battlefield. Small Brawl is a Twisted Metal game made for children while TM Black is a darker take on the series and adds online play as well (and Sweet Tooth as a Transformer). Head-On is the PSP iteration and features some of the series levels - and the PS2 version added more battlefields as well (including the Transylvania level).

*Rogue Trip Vacation 2012 (PS1)
Another car combat game by the former Twisted Metal developers. Despite the similarities from Twisted Metal, it is more original, and the game even predicted the supposed 2012 apocalypse.

*Assault Retribution (PS1)
A Contra clone released in 1999 by Midway.
Unlike the Contra games released on PS1 before it, it is more of a Contra game than those games.
and has more power ups and weapons too - and even an abundant supply of health and 1ups in some stages.

*Omega Boost (PS1)
A shooter made by the Gran Turismo people, the game lets you play as the titular Omega Boost robot and time travel back to 1946 to stop ENIAC (really?). Its a good shooter with dodging, lasers and a good soundtrack - in fact, in a similar way to Gran Turismo, every regional release of the game has specific songs on the intro, title screen, the final boss, and the ending movie. I remember this game very well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:40:33 am by A.W. Laris Borromeo »
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2019, 08:49:16 am »
Skitchin'(Genesis, and believe me, I could be here all day with this console...): Unlike it's more recognized cousin Road Rash, it's not as pick up and play, which will turn off a number of impatient gamers. As a game played on inline skates, you can really put a beat down on the other racers, giving it something of a beat 'em up feel. You can upgrade individual pieces of gear between races, provided you did well enough. Depending on what you do on some tracks, you can play bonus tracks for extra money. There's no AI to worry about, all the racers are pretty much out to get you, so either kick their asses, or hitch rides on the back of cars(Back to the Future, late for school style), slingshotting past everything else, possibly pulling off insane tricks(hint: let go of the buttons as soon as you start to do something, if you want to land).

TL/DR:
Just a fun lesser known game where you may want to read about how it controls beforehand.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2019, 05:54:12 pm »
Did somebody say Conquest of the Crystal Palace for the NES already?

I always thought it was kind of cool for a game that I never heard anything else about, and now I know that it was actually a project that the creator of Ivalice and FFT worked on in his early days. Small wonder, then.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2019, 09:16:25 pm »
Spot: The Video Game for NES.  If it can be called anything, it's the prequel of Cool Spot because it has the 7UP mascot.

Instead of being a mascot platformer that would be most likely worse than Cool Spot however, this is a game of Reversi of all things.  Here's the catch: not only can you play up to a four player game with either human or the CPU, but you can edit the normal square board to your heart's content.  This makes for a basic but addictive game, and the silly little animations from moving are just icing.  If you liked Mario 64 DS's Bob-Omb Reversi game, you'll probably get a kick out of this.

Also I find myself playing SNES Monopoly more than I care to admit.  It doesn't have the free parking rule and you're probably not going to round up friends to play it (I mean the board game is right there), but it runs pretty solid with up to 8 people all things considered.  Oh, and there's a Japan only sequel for some reason.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2019, 01:42:09 pm »
I feel that the games from Daedalic (particularly the Edna and Harvey games) are very under appreciated.