News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Stackable Hacks?  (Read 2374 times)

Riggan

• View Profile
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Stackable Hacks?
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:06:00 pm »
Hello All,

New to the site. Great community! I feel like I've discovered a new world I didn't know existed until now.

I'm super intrigued by the cool hacks I'm seeing for Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=710). I've read some hacks are stackable with others while some aren't. Can anyone confirm which of these can be used together? There's a few I'd like to implement to the game and it'd be nice to know beforehand which ones will work together.

Thanks.

NaOH

• Modernizing old games
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Stackable Hacks?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:48:15 pm »
Hey,

I've been doing some Castlevania II hacking lately. My controls improvement hack should be stackable with a number of other hacks. On the project page, I've listed some hacks which are confirmed to work with it http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4150/

Bisqwit's Select-screen Map hack
is probably the most interesting hack to try to get compatibility with. It does jumble some stuff around, I think. I had to make a special version of the controls improvement to be compatible with it.

Here is some of the data I've uncovered while hacking CV2. You're welcome to peruse it and if you can ever figure out how to log into Data Crystal, feel free to add it. Feel free to ask me any questions also -- I don't really know very much about ROMhacking, but I have figured out a few things about the Castlevania assembly at least!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nstbayless/cv2-controls/v1.4/map.txt

Riggan

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Stackable Hacks?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:09:22 pm »
Hi. Thanks for chiming in. So far I've stacked the English re-translation (+Map), double hearts, false floors, and penalty reduction. This seems to be the balance I like and I've been enjoying the game more than ever. One thing I've noticed, and maybe someone can address, the only issue I've seen with this combo is after the new prologue is finished, the screen goes black and the game seems to freeze up and has to be restarted. But, as long as I start the game before the end of the prologue, all is well. I did a complete playthrough and no issues to speak of except one time in one of the mansions, I'm pretty sure I fell through a block that wasn't darkened out via the False Floors hack. By the time I worked my way back to the same spot, it was darkened out. Not sure if that's a stack issue or something else, or if I just imagined it.  :laugh:

I love to get into rom hacking, but as of right now I know absolutely nothing.