News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF1 MMC5 Disassembly Updates  (Read 46963 times)

Jiggers

• View Profile
Re: FF1 MMC5 Disassembly Updates
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2019, 03:41:19 pm »
Woo, thanks for testing things! I think I fixed 'em now.

Equipment Bag 2 bug was another forgetting to reset a variable... I thought I set it to reset when entering the menu, but it only reset when entering the item menu. The weapon shop was setting it to 1 to use as a toggle for the price loading routine to know to check a different table for weapons and armor...

Buying armor now works--I mean, it was working, it was just $40 bytes off where it was storing it in RAM.

I'm stumped on the Hand axe unless you got to where you can buy a Short sword? Buying weapons was off by 1 item ID so buying an Iron hammer ($05) would give you a Short sword ($06) in your inventory. That is also fixed now.

Selling is going to be tricky... I forgot about it completely when changing up the weapon storage system. I've got it now so it will load a list of what you have, but you can only sell one at a time still (maybe later I'll make it like the item shop... but the price of equipment will break the game if you try to sell 99 things, even at half-price.) Moving the list a few times garbles the screen for some reason... and its not resetting the shop's inventory when going back to buying... >.<

I will double-check the treasure chest routines too... And upload the zip file again when its all working.

Edit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I8ZKZfyf4ksomw1OHbf-zAFXbyNh9BGd

Fixed:
* Armor can be bought!
* You can sell things 1 at a time!
* Treasure chests give equipment properly!
* Armor is displayed properly in the equip screen (it was showing the name of the item before it in the list; Wooden for Chain armor, ProCape for a Cap...)
* Scrolling the sell menu up will put the cursor at the bottom of the list.
* Characters will cheer-pose properly in the sell menu; before, they were set to cheer at only the first 5 things in the list, even if the list on display was items 10-15.
* The scrolling variable resets properly between buying and selling
* The item page variable resets every time you open the equipment inventory, main menu (unnecessary really but I'll leave it in in case I change things and forget), item menu, and magic learning menu.

Not Sure:
* Cursor may or may not show up in the right spot in every shop.
* I somehow froze my game while setting the encounter rate to low, after setting the exp gain to high, but I can't reproduce
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:55:45 pm by Jiggers »
I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:20 am »
I didn't encounter any problems with the cursor showing up in the shops.

However, there is still some funkiness going on with the armor shop.
It still doesn't seem to be loading the armor inventory correctly when I sell.
I has 2 Cloth and 1 Wooden (Armor).
When I went to sell it showed Cloth with a value of 0, and Cloth with a value of 10.
I could sell them both, but selling the first caused some wierdness.
And nothing was removed from inventory after selling.
At the end I had P5 number of Cloth and 1 Wooden (Armor) in my inventory still.

Also, there is a typo in the Magic shop text, "What scroll do do you require?"

And I have a suggestion of course. :P
Can you show how many of an item you already have in the shop lists?
Screen real estate might be an issue, but it would be a good QoL addition.

EDIT:

I noticed that the P5 number of Cloth shows up in the last item slot of the Weapon inventory on page 4. I guess it might be pointing at the wrong inventory index?

And, the reason I noticed this at all is because I was looking at the battle item slots and wanted to see if I could equip any kind of item.

You might need to change it so it can access both inventories.
Otherwise, there will be a bunch of jobs that can't use certain armors as battle items that could do it just fine before.

EDIT AGAIN:

I have some insight into the freeze that happens on the Options menu.
In order to cause the freeze you first have to press A and then then B.
It doesn't seem to matter which option you are on or if you move to another option between presses.

EDIT MORE:

It seems the magic shops don't account for spells that have been learned.
So I had my White Mage learn CURE, then I went into the magic shop and was able to buy 4 copies of it.  I technically had 5 of them now, though it didn't seem to cause any issues.
There is enough room in the magic inventory menu to include how many of each spell I have since it only needs 2 characters.
Displaying the number of scrolls I already have in the magic shops would be great, too.

THE RETURN OF EDIT:

In the magic menu after I use the Forget command and press B to use the Cast command, Cast makes me forget spells instead of casting them until I leave the screen and come back.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:56:08 am by Vanya »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2019, 11:57:17 am »
I'm guessing "P5" is 255, since SMW had the same problem of incorrectly handling a number greater than 99 when a two-digit number was expected. ("P" = a 10s digit of 25)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2019, 06:52:39 pm »
Yay, more bugs to squish!

Typo fixed in the magic shop!

Armor shop weirdness fixed? Just had to add a 1 to the item ID. Basically it saw your cloth armour, then looked at 1 item before it (the 64 weapon, which has a pointer entry in the nametable, but no data at the pointer, so it skipped ahead to print the next item: cloth armor. But with no price, because I just filled the price table for non-existant equipment with 0s.) Then I guess it sold that 64th weapon, which took a $0 to $FF and showed up as Cloth in the 4th equipment bag...? 

I think I can display item amount in shops... but it will have to be on the line between the name and price. Might look ugly. Otherwise, I can expand the list by 1 tile to the left and 1 tile to the right, and put the number after the weapon/armor name, but that limits the names to 7 characters, and I just made it room for 8... The other solution is to squish things even further to the left. Move the shopkeeper, the title box, the Buy/Sell box (and move the character names to the right-list for the clinics) and re-do all the shop text to fit the squishier windows. So... I'll just work on putting it between the name and price for now.

Battle Items, I'm not sure what to do about. I can look into using Select to swap between armor and weapon bags?

The Options screen freeze was a silly thing... for pressing left/right, it needs to double-RTS to re-draw the options and return to the input loop, but pressing A doesn't need to... but it was. So, that explains it. XD Fixed it.

And I worked up something to check known spells for buying in magic shops. So if every character knows Cure and you have 0 in inventory, it won't let you buy any more.

I also added the number of spells in the spellbook menu. But now things are wonky and Fire is thinking its the 3rd white magic spell and not the 1st black magic spell, so... still a bit of tinkering left there.

Also got the Cast/Forget bug squished! The whole logic for that submenu is a squirmy mess, its no wonder I didn't catch it before.

Thanks again for doing all the hard work trying things out. XD
I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »
My pleasure!! :D
Toggling the inventory bags with select works just fine. Maybe add a message to the bottom of the screen letting players know that is a thing?

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2019, 08:41:47 pm »

How's that look? I figure either centered or left-aligned...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I8ZKZfyf4ksomw1OHbf-zAFXbyNh9BGd

All those fixes are now live. Also found out that using ORA for adding the items quantity you want to buy in item shops... doesn't work the way I thought it would back when I did that. So now it does addition properly and you don't have to buy more than the amount you currently have in order to increase the number in inventory.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:20:08 pm by Jiggers »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2019, 10:41:30 pm »
Not bad! And much appreciated.
I think left aligned would probably work best.
Also, instead of putting it in brackets, a simple x00 format might be better.

EDIT:

Something I forgot to mention before. The spell names don't appear in the battle text.

Also, the Magic shops appear to still be borked. Now the shop inventory seems to pointing to the wrong data. It doesn't charge me for the CURE and FIRE spells, and everything is exorbitantly priced, so I couldn't buy any other spells.

It occurs to me that now that you have a more unified system for the various inventories, it may be a good idea to give all the shops the same unified functions. I don't know how much code is shared by the shops now, but this could help save some space in the long run.

Right now, the equipment shops let you equip the things you buy to specific characters.
The item and equipment shops now show how many you have of a thing.
And the item shops let you buy multiples of any item at once.
All the shops can benefit from having all these features.

My suggestion is that it work like this:

- When you enter a shop it will always have the same basic commands. (BUY - SELL - EXIT)

- The shopkeeper text would be indexed based on the type of shop you are in. Maybe also have it display the shop list immediately upon entering the shop.

- Using the BUY command would bring up the shop list as normal. All shops would show how many of a thing you already have in your inventory (including those held/equipped/learned).

- All shops will then use the quantity selector so players can buy multiples of anything.

- Most shops would cap inventory at 99 (including held items). The inventory cap would include a check to cap inventory at 4 in magic shops instead.

- The confirmation text normally has 3 options. (EQUIP - YES - NO)
There would be a check for magic shops that would swap the EQUIP text for LEARN instead.
And, if you buy more than 1 of something or are in an item shop, it would have a check that uses an alternate confirmation menu with only the YES and NO commands.

- If you confirm YES, the item(s) get added to the appropriate inventory. If you confirm EQUIP or LEARN, it takes you to the character selection. And, if you confirm NO, it cancels the transaction as normal and reloads the shop list.

- The SELL command is perfect in execution as is. The only thing I would do is make it universal for all shops. That way you can sell excess items you don't need.

- The EXIT command is perfect, of course.

- The Church would, of course, ignore all this and continue doing its own thing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:38:37 am by Vanya »

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:11 pm »
Fixed the spells in battle... and enemy attacks, while I was at it. And the magic shops again. Trying to change the brackets but I'm too sleepy and its messing up... Last link updated with fixes!

I like the shop thing! Its gonna be a big project to consolidate all that, but it might be worth it. The menu bank is running low on space again very soon.

Gonna focus on fixing bugs first, then updating the github version and trying to stay on top of that...

Any more bugs to squish?!  :D

Figured out why changing the quantity thing wasn't working. Glazed over the $50 because everything else was $4x... so next question:

or

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:22:02 pm by Jiggers »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2019, 09:26:43 pm »
I'll see what I can find.

BTW, does the menu bank also include the battle menu stuff?

EDIT:

Hmm... I like it zero padded, but I think the rest of the game isn't zero padded, so the bottom one.

I notice a bug in the magic menu.
When I use the Forget command, after forgetting something, the cursor stays down in the spell list, suggesting that I'm still in forget mode. But when I try to continue forgetting spells, it tries to use them instead. I guess the forget command is somehow switching into the use command after each use?

2xEDIT:

Oh, hell. Here's another. After using CURE in the menu and pressing B to go back to the magic list, it always goes to the 4th player's spell list.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:36:58 pm by Vanya »

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2019, 01:13:22 am »
I like bugs that are easy to fix.

Both of those are taken care of now, as well as one I found: Learning spells wouldn't update the screen unless the spell was used up (a holdover from before it showed quantity.)

And I figured out how to get rid of the space! It's still printed, just after the single digit instead of before.

Menu bank only has the Ether MP string data, because it was the easiest way to do that particular box. Battle menu stuff is mostly in C and the fixed bank, except where its also in B (only for level up information I think.)

Checking out how Warp and Exit work now, and noticed a typo in the spell learning menu... Says Spell Level 4-6, instead of 5-6! And looks like Warp needs to pull 3 more bytes from the stack to teleport correctly. So, fixed that too.

No .zip file updates this time, I don't wanna wrestle with Google Drive right now.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2019, 03:03:23 am »
Yeah, I noticed the spell list not updating after learning a spell. You ninja'd me on that one. :P
The quantities look great like that!

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2019, 06:50:22 pm »
Discovered that equipping things in shops while already equipped was placing the wrong item in inventory, should be fixed.

Magic messages were wonky still. Cure was "defend fire" and Fire was "HP up!". Sorted that.

I put a A+B button press in the Inn after the sprites fade out, so you have time to read the message before the save screen pops up. Overkill? Should I change it to doing like... 120 frames (2 seconds, right?) to read the message?

Going to try adding a little something extra to the equipment shops, too...

It's an "this character has this item equipped" marker!

Should equipment shops list equipped items in the x## slot?

Also considering doing a French translation... I need to learn French and I've been putting it off for months because its boring, and yet ASM tinkering is... not? I think its because I get a dopamine kick out of making things and creating menus. So making a French translation solves all three problems: Brain happiness, learning the language, and making a translation that I can't seem to find...

Aaand item shops are not fixed... freezing when trying to buy things... grrr Edit: Oops, that was very easy. Changed a JMP :++ to a JMP :+++

Got tired of the weird boxes for the Japanese text, so I fixed it! Also blotted out my friends' names 'cos.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:05:41 am by Jiggers »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2019, 02:24:56 am »
Discovered that equipping things in shops while already equipped was placing the wrong item in inventory, should be fixed.

I think that might explain how that Short Sword apreared in my inventory before.`

I put a A+B button press in the Inn after the sprites fade out, so you have time to read the message before the save screen pops up. Overkill? Should I change it to doing like... 120 frames (2 seconds, right?) to read the message?

Yes, overkill. Simply requiring an 'A' press after a frame count seems sufficient.

One thing that was kinda buggin' me though... On the save screen, it lets you keep saving over and over and it restarts the Inn fanfare each time you do so. It could probably use some sprucing up to be more consistent with the later games.

Try removing the save feature from the Inn screen. (It is pretty much redundant now.)
So, instead of going to the save screen after it fades to black:
> have it just stay on the Inn screen,
> restore HP & MP,
> play the fanfare,
> fade back in,
> display the warning message,
> pause for a second or two,
> and then automatically exit the Inn screen.

As for the save screen itself, it probably needs a confirmation step after you choose which slot to save to. Aside from that, it's probably fine the way it is. Being able to stay on the save screen instead of getting dumped back onto the main menu like most of the other games do is an improvement as is.

Actually, it might be a good idea to add a message box to the save screen.
When you first enter it should explain how to delete a file, and after saving it should display the 'warning' message instead of doing it in the Inns.
The Inns should just explain that your HP & MP have been restored.

Going to try adding a little something extra to the equipment shops, too...

-img-

It's an "this character has this item equipped" marker!

Hells yeah! Love it!

Should equipment shops list equipped items in the x## slot?

All of the yes!

Also considering doing a French translation... I need to learn French and I've been putting it off for months because its boring, and yet ASM tinkering is... not? I think its because I get a dopamine kick out of making things and creating menus. So making a French translation solves all three problems: Brain happiness, learning the language, and making a translation that I can't seem to find...

Why not? Seems like a win/win.

-img-

Got tired of the weird boxes for the Japanese text, so I fixed it! Also blotted out my friends' names 'cos.

I support this change 100%.

I'm hoping you go for a full overhaul of the battle screen so it more closely matches the ones in FF2&3.
I really think it looks better without the big frames and the background tiles spanning the whole top of the screen. "Grond's Final Fantasy" and the Japanese hack, "Final Fantasy Revised", both have pretty nice looking battle screens. But, those both still have that tall column for the names and HP. Bleh! That column is my nemesis.

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:14 am »
I support this change 100%.

I'm hoping you go for a full overhaul of the battle screen so it more closely matches the ones in FF2&3.
I really think it looks better without the big frames and the background tiles spanning the whole top of the screen. "Grond's Final Fantasy" and the Japanese hack, "Final Fantasy Revised", both have pretty nice looking battle screens. But, those both still have that tall column for the names and HP. Bleh! That column is my nemesis.

I agree. Its fine, but every battle screen layout suppose to have HP and MP to be in the bottom.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2019, 11:17:13 pm »
I don't think "suppose" is the right word here.
Most of them certainly do, but that doesn't mean they are supposed to.
Only the creators can decide how something is supposed to be.

FF2 & FF3 are able to do this by use of screen scrolling to be able to shift things around.
FF1 doesn't have that built in, and I can't say how difficult it would be to implement or how much space it would require.
Either way I think it will likely take quite a bit of work to get the names and HP down below the battle area.

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2019, 12:51:28 am »
I definitely need to come up with a sort of Manual of How Things Should Work for shops. I hate when some options leave the inventory box open and with the last thing drawn, while the cursor is off choosing buy/sell/exit again or whatever...

And, oops. I didn't mean to imply A AND B had to be pressed at the inn, just either of them. And the save menu could use a bit of a touchup I suppose... but that will have to come later and I'm so bad at taking notes of what I need to work on eventually.

Reminder that you shouldn't be able to press start at the name selection screen if there's only blank spaces for a name...

Work in progress. Actually started on this right after changing the box sizes!

Some notes on the difficulty of this task and the layout:

The screen is 32 tiles wide and 30 tall.

The Enemy roster box can be squeezed down to 10 tiles (box sides, 8 letter names).

The Player name and HP box is currently 9 tiles wide.

That leaves 13 tiles for the command box. | FIGHT HIDE| -- will just barely fit with the cursor overlapping the box or the left-side command.

Can save 2 tiles by having box sides overlapping.

Battle Turn display might need to be dropped.

Not sure where to put ailment and hiding icons. If I keep them behind the characters, I would disable the heart from displaying, and icons would only show up when they have a bad ailment. I don't know what's going on with those 2s; I'm currently poking that particular bit of code. (It used to display all the names and everything, but only displaying one icon should hopefully lesson the delay between turns in battle.)

Enemies: They gotta move up some. From backdrop to characters, there's 16 tiles of battle space, leaving 14 for messages and boxes. That's as much as is needed for a box with the names and HP to have a space between rows. So, it will fit. IF.

IF.

I can move the enemies. I've already looked at their attribute byte code quite a lot, and some of the math used to figure out what the attribute bytes should be set to hurt my head. I'm hoping that moving them will simplify things a lot. Small enemies would fit within their own boxes. Larger enemies would overlap some...

But having more horizontal space, I would move the smaller enemies in mixed formations forward, which might mean having the 9 small enemy formations moved forwards too.

The last thing I want to figure out is how to keep the name/HP box displaying after being drawn over. For sure the magic box will overdraw it. I'm thinking tweaking the undraw box codes so that it undraws all BUT this one box... And considering the convoluted mess the box drawing is, I don't know if that will be easier or harder than moving the enemies and having their colours work.

One last quality change I want to make to enemies, if I can do all this, is to flash their attribute bytes when they attack, as a way to know which enemies have taken a turn. Its not super necessary but its something I wanted to see, to help make the battles more lively.

Also I got the numbers reversed for the HP. Here's how it should look:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2019, 01:04:14 am »
Good stuff so far. That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.

As long as you can fit all the rest of the info in at the bottom of the screen, keeping the status effect icons behind the character sprites is a good idea.

Shifting around the enemy graphics is something I fiddled with when I was futzing around with RPG Maker MV and made an attempt at a sort of FF1 remake. I slanted the enemy and player positions to get a bit more of a 16-bit era arrangement.

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2019, 01:56:51 am »

Not sure what happened there with that little glitch, but its coming along nicely... finally.

How do we feel about the names needing to be visible all the time? Once I can move the boxes up 2 tiles, there's no need for the command box to be wide; all 6 options will fit stacked on top of each other. EQUIPPED can be something else... GEAR? EQUIP (that's a verb and confusing)? I feel weird having it in the middle... Would prefer it if it was on the side.

Maybe, have it on the side during commands, but during the battle turn (if I can get it to display constantly beneath the other boxes), the names move back over to the side.

Do people like having Max HP visible as well? Would be easy to remove it and use that space to show the ailment icon instead, the way it was before. I like having Max HP so I know when I can stop trying to cure HP... always think they're hurt when they're not...

One last 3 AM update... Shifted the character sprites down by 4 pixels, since using all 14 tiles was kinda awkward--having just one line of padding on top or bottom, when the rest of the text is squished to every other side.

Also, like, every single menu box is broken in some way now. I'll update the cursor positions last--will need to write a new routine for the command box. Maybe put HIDE up under MAGIC. Maybe de-capslock them too?

I will put the battle turn number in the bottom left corner there, enemy names don't need that space.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:42:37 am by Jiggers »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2019, 03:46:04 am »
I feel that the closer we get to FF3 the better.
I just played a bit of all the games from 1 - 6 to refresh my memory.
They all Keep the names, current HP, and max HP visible all the time.
I like it like that, most people will be used to it as well.

This is what I'm thinking:
- Split the menu area into 2 frames; enemy names on the left, character info on the right.
- Only the left side frame is ever overwritten.
- The command window overlaps the enemy names and is only visible while a command is being selected.
- Heavily cut back on the battle messages.
- Try to implement pop up damage and healing sprites.
- Try to make space for enemies to have status icons, too.

Flashing the enemies is a great idea that can cut down on battle messages a lot.
FF3 did it by simply having the enemy tiles rapidly switch between their normal palette(s) and the battle frame palette.

Speaking of the battle frames, can you change them to using the normal blue filled ones instead?

GEAR is better than EQUIPPED for sure.
And it's a reasonable localization of the original term; mochimono = personal effects.
EQUIP would be confusing and lead most players to think that you can use it to swap out equipment.

EDIT:

Here are some mocks of what I think would kick the most ass...

- I left in the borders and blue backgrounds for the enemies and characters to show off their placements more precisely.

- Here it is with the command window over the enemy names.

- And I also made a mock-up of what it might look like if the command window could be split in two.
- These are the main commands. (I kinda prefer the ITEM command at the bottom.)

- These are the secondary commands.
- There is enough space for commands to have up to 10-letter names.
(Still lobbying for a Defend command! :P )

EDIT AGAIN:

One more for the road! Here is the first pic with all the precision borders removed.
~ What dreams may come. ~
(>^.^)>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:36:03 am by Vanya »

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2019, 07:11:27 am »
I feel that the closer we get to FF3 the better.
I just played a bit of all the games from 1 - 6 to refresh my memory.
They all Keep the names, current HP, and max HP visible all the time.
I like it like that, most people will be used to it as well.

This is what I'm thinking:
- Split the menu area into 2 frames; enemy names on the left, character info on the right.
- Only the left side frame is ever overwritten.
- The command window overlaps the enemy names and is only visible while a command is being selected.
- Heavily cut back on the battle messages.
- Try to implement pop up damage and healing sprites.
- Try to make space for enemies to have status icons, too.

Flashing the enemies is a great idea that can cut down on battle messages a lot.
FF3 did it by simply having the enemy tiles rapidly switch between their normal palette(s) and the battle frame palette.

Speaking of the battle frames, can you change them to using the normal blue filled ones instead?

GEAR is better than EQUIPPED for sure.
And it's a reasonable localization of the original term; mochimono = personal effects.
EQUIP would be confusing and lead most players to think that you can use it to swap out equipment.

EDIT:

Here are some mocks of what I think would kick the most ass...

- I left in the borders and blue backgrounds for the enemies and characters to show off their placements more precisely.

- Here it is with the command window over the enemy names.

- And I also made a mock-up of what it might look like if the command window could be split in two.
- These are the main commands. (I kinda prefer the ITEM command at the bottom.)

- These are the secondary commands.
- There is enough space for commands to have up to 10-letter names.
(Still lobbying for a Defend command! :P )

EDIT AGAIN:

One more for the road! Here is the first pic with all the precision borders removed.
~ What dreams may come. ~
(>^.^)>

See that is what I was thinking of the picture you just did. That would've made it neater. But, where can MP can display though? There should be number display next to the enemy names, so it can identify how many enemies left. Do you think that a good idea, Vanya?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:23:01 am by Mari42 »