News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Best Shogi games for FamiCom, Game Boy, Super FamiCom, etc.  (Read 2384 times)

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Best Shogi games for FamiCom, Game Boy, Super FamiCom, etc.
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:24:49 pm »
After thinking of where I could ask this, I couldn't think of a better place than this forum.

My Shogi sensei and I are not going to be able to meet as often due to certain circumstances, so I wanted to get some practice in between lessons. Since I always carry a hacked Vita around, I figure the best way for me, personally, to at least stay literate/get practice is to use FamiCom, GB, and SFC Shogi games for practice during my down time.

I went ahead and bought the most colorful looking Shogi game for, like, 2 bucks on ebay. Turns out it's far from a traditional Shogi game.

SO, before I go spending another 1-2 dollars on another Shogi game, has anyone played the Shogi games for FamiCom, Game Boy, Super FamiCom, etc. and can anyone tell me about their experiences playing them? Any information will help. Please and thank you!
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Best Shogi games for FamiCom, Game Boy, Super FamiCom, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:16:45 pm »
Not what you asked but does the Vita have a halfway acceptable DS emulator these days? If so clubhouse games/42 all time classics has a pretty decent version (actually two if you count hasami) that got some people to give up their previous "just so I have one" options for older devices, and will be touchscreen. As it is a turn based game then slowdown should not be a problem either.
The DS might also have some other versions but I am less familiar with those -- I tended not to pay attention to the Japanese side of puzzle games past the GBA.

I can't comment on the AI quality and most people I ever spoke to about it were middling/just for fun players. More than enough to learn the rules and keep fresh with though.

Otherwise yeah recalling back to those conversations about the DS game above most people were speaking of GBC games that they had hacked or learned to play, this despite the GBA being a thing. That said I see minna no soft series has a shogi entry on the GBA (and GBC), and I do like their GBA Tetris effort so you might get lucky.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 05:35:03 pm »
Shameless plug of the day:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3132/

I don't know enough about shogi to say if it's a good version, but give it a try if you want. :)

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:30:58 pm »
Not what you asked but does the Vita have a halfway acceptable DS emulator these days? If so clubhouse games/42 all time classics has a pretty decent version (actually two if you count hasami) that got some people to give up their previous "just so I have one" options for older devices, and will be touchscreen. As it is a turn based game then slowdown should not be a problem either.
The DS might also have some other versions but I am less familiar with those -- I tended not to pay attention to the Japanese side of puzzle games past the GBA.

I can't comment on the AI quality and most people I ever spoke to about it were middling/just for fun players. More than enough to learn the rules and keep fresh with though.

Otherwise yeah recalling back to those conversations about the DS game above most people were speaking of GBC games that they had hacked or learned to play, this despite the GBA being a thing. That said I see minna no soft series has a shogi entry on the GBA (and GBC), and I do like their GBA Tetris effort so you might get lucky.

Honestly, I never tried DS emulation on anything. There's a DS emulator for the PSP, so I imagine any DS emulator would run decently on the Vita. Thanks for the tips on the GBA. I'll look into that :3

Shameless plug of the day:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3132/

I don't know enough about shogi to say if it's a good version, but give it a try if you want. :)

Actually, whenever I think of Shogi on the FamiCom, I think of this game, and it's the one I had in mind when I made this post. I just couldn't remember what it's called or where I'd seen that screenshot. Thanks for pointing me back to it, Psyklax! You have yet to cease to amaze me :3

Mario Bros.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 12:11:25 am »
why bother ???? 2$ shogi for psvita ...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUX80439_00-SHOGI00000001001

January 04, 2019, 12:21:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
my pref "chesslike" videogame is CASTLE QUEST for famicom/gb , it's mix between shogi and wargame , i love it since 1993

ps: i have long time play to chess , i have stop the "standard" game  for game in blitz 1min/player
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:21:43 am by Mario Bros. »
PS: A bad request's reader is a bad helper

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 06:36:23 am »
A buddy of mine used to love Shodan Morita Shougi on the SFC. It's supposed to be a serious and traditional version of the game.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 10:51:59 am »
why bother ???? 2$ shogi for psvita ...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUX80439_00-SHOGI00000001001

January 04, 2019, 12:21:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
my pref "chesslike" videogame is CASTLE QUEST for famicom/gb , it's mix between shogi and wargame , i love it since 1993

ps: i have long time play to chess , i have stop the "standard" game  for game in blitz 1min/player

Hey hey! Thanks for this! Didn't know about it!

A buddy of mine used to love Shodan Morita Shougi on the SFC. It's supposed to be a serious and traditional version of the game.

Thanks for the tip!