News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Linkle Liver Story Sega Saturn Translation Released  (Read 10056 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Linkle Liver Story Sega Saturn Translation Released
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 03:30:37 pm »
Could Liver really be "river"? It may very well be "Wrinkle River Story". Dead serious.

That makes about as much sense as Linkle Liver in the game. Meaning no sense at all.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 05:32:13 pm »
Just a note for anyone else who found the patching a tad confusing: the Redump version has multiple .bin files, and this patch should be applied to the first one with the tool mentioned in the readme. I'm sure I won't be the last one to be confused by this, so I though I might mention it (I can imagine patching CD-based games will be a bit of a pain, though I've not done it much myself).

Great job, by the way! I like what you did with the intro video. I'm having a play of it now, and you might get to see a review of it on my YouTube channel at some point, maybe. :)

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 07:00:13 pm »
Awesome work guys, it is always cool to see more translations for the Saturn and this is a title I've heard good things about.

As for the game's name, Google also translates it as "Wrinkle River Story" but again it doesn't make a lot of sense...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:05:19 pm by Lentfilms »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:22 pm »
Wrinkle River kinda makes sense to me.

It makes me think of a winding river, with a lot of twists and turns, which seem sort of like a "wrinkle" in the river's path.

That said, I think the title is best left as-is.

By the way, the decision to do hard subs for Haruhi was not done out of laziness, but rather to make them look better. Cargodin did a great job with this.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 11:49:28 pm »
Could Liver really be "river"? It may very well be "Wrinkle River Story". Dead serious.
The title is totally legit - we scouted the whole web in and through for that, and apparently the creators themselves confirmed the title as is, but they didn't care to explain it.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 08:22:26 am »
Amazing work you guys, I definitely want to play this gem on an emulator because my console died years ago, I patched it successfully but I'm encountering issues, I will explain:

The image that my friend made for me (from my original Japanese disk) is in Clone CD format, the folder has 3 files in it which is in these extensions: .ccd, .img and .sub, these files which was ripped from my original disk works on 2 emulators that I tried which is SSF and Yaba Sanshiro, both emus play the music from the intro animation just fine but when I push a button to skip that intro and go to the intro screen the music doesn't play in SSF, however, it does play in Yaba Sanshiro but since the game is in Japanese I won't play it again in those emulators. It seems that SSF is having issues(?) with the music in the intro screen but no biggie, I can still play this in Yaba Sanshiro.

However... after patching the .img file with the english translation with PPF-O-MATIC v3.0 the game works, it's in english now however... the game is having the same issue with the intro screen music, it doesn't play in both emulators now which is odd, It still has the SFX effects and you can still listen to music in the option screen but the normal intro screen doesn't have the music anymore. I don't want to start a new game knowing that the music might not play later on because of the issue I described.

The summary for that wall of text is this:

My Japanese rip that my friend made from my original disk has the intro screen music in Yaba Sanshiro but not in SSF, after patching the game with the english translation the intro screen music doesn't work in Yaba Sanshiro no more so both emulator is having issues in the intro screen now. Can someone point me to the right direction to make the intro screen music working in Yaba Sanshiro with the english patch? if you can help me getting that issue to work in SSF as well then that would be better, I rather play this in SSF.

Thanks.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 08:41:34 am »
I've just tried repatching the game for SSF Beta R3/R4 and it plays just fine. Meguessing - it's the image stuff. I've also left an extended response to you at the other place you posted this. Maybe paul_met will shed some light on this as well.

That and the ending music is the issues for both original and translation for almost every Saturn emulator existing now. For example, mednafen simply crashes when trying to exit to the world map.

PS: I'm also interested if anyone tried this on the console yet as I heard of some issues but it plays just great on my card-reading saturn usual grey version.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 10:13:15 am »
I've just tried repatching the game for SSF Beta R3/R4 and it plays just fine. Meguessing - it's the image stuff. I've also left an extended response to you at the other place you posted this. Maybe paul_met will shed some light on this as well.

That and the ending music is the issues for both original and translation for almost every Saturn emulator existing now. For example, mednafen simply crashes when trying to exit to the world map.

PS: I'm also interested if anyone tried this on the console yet as I heard of some issues but it plays just great on my card-reading saturn usual grey version.

Thanks for your reply, I have gotten the intro music to finally play in SSF with my Japanese ripped copy, to fix that issue I had to delete "LINKLE LIVER STORY.bin" inside the folder "CDIndex", however, the same thing happens once I try patching the game with the english translation, once it's patched then the music won't play anymore. I believe the issue are errors from my part because if you got it working then there's something that I'm obviously doing wrong. I will explain my patching process, hopefully you can help me from there:

My unpatched folder has 3 files in it with these extensions: .ccd, .img and .sub, now I open PPF-O-MATIC v3.0 and select the file .img and the .ppf file and patch the .img file. What comes next is what I'm probably doing wrong, you see, the .img file is in english now, however, the other 2 files ".ccd" and ".sub" is not compatible with the new patched ".img" file anymore, and hence, opening the .ccd file from Daemon Tools is not working anymore, opening that .ccd in Yaba Sanshiro is not working anymore either so I have to select the .img file directly in both Daemon Tools or Yaba Sanshiro, once I do this the game works but the music won't play in the intro screen anymore. I believe I need to open the .ccd file somehow and edit it with the new information of the patched .img file to get it to work.

Hopefully you have a better idea of what I'm doing wrong and guide me from there. Thanks.

Note: I already posted this in the translation website but other peoples might have the same issue I'm having so I'm posting this here as well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:36:11 am by xZabuzax »

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 10:17:49 am »
Hopefully you have a better idea of what I'm doing wrong and guide me from there. Thanks.
The game uses CDDA tracks. It seems that they were damaged after the IMG file was patched (or the image contained errors initially). I recommend following the instructions in the readme file and using only the BIN/CUE image format. So, either you convert your image into the BIN/CUE (for example, using the CDmage utility from this site), or let your friend dump the original disk into the BIN/CUE format.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 10:29:41 am »
The game uses CDDA tracks. It seems that they were damaged after the IMG file was patched (or the image contained errors initially). I recommend following the instructions in the readme file and using only the BIN/CUE image format. So, either you convert your image into the BIN/CUE (for example, using the CDmage utility from this site), or let your friend dump the original disk into the BIN/CUE format.

After I posted that I fixed the issue, it was actually a mistake from my part. I renamed the .img file "before" patching it, that caused the error I was having, I needed to leave that .img intact because apparently it contains important information that the other 2 files recognizes, if the .img is renamed and patched then those important information changes and it won't work anymore. Because of this renaming the "patched" .img back to the name it had before won't work anymore with the other 2 files, apparently those CDDA tracks are pretty sensitive to changes if you rename the .img file before patching.

It was a dumb mistake from my part but hopefully others people having my issue can fix it now. Thanks.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 10:34:31 am »
Glad it worked for you in the end.

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • Sakura Taisen Translation
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 12:44:25 pm »
How did you guys generate the font sheet for this?  Did you use an existing tool, create by hand in gimp/photoshop/etc., or did you write your own tool?   

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 12:45:57 pm »
That's a slightly modified existing font.

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • Sakura Taisen Translation
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 01:23:03 pm »
As in the font that was already in the game?

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 01:44:15 pm »
No, it was inserted.

Endymian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 04:30:48 pm »

Logged in for the first time in months to suggest exactly the same thing.

"L"s and "R"s can get weird when translating Japanese.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 05:07:06 pm »
Maybe Livers is bad case of japanglish and they meant livers as in those that live in a place?

Is there a country or city called Linkle in the game?

saito

• View Profile
    • .:TransGen:.
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 05:15:22 pm »
Good job on this one. Hope to see working on more translations folks.  :thumbsup:
.: TransGen :.

kikujade

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 02:35:09 am »
This is HUGE!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I will play this on real hardware when I get the saturn satiator.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 02:42:14 am »
Is there a country or city called Linkle in the game?
As stated previously - "Linkle Liver" does not appear anywhere (neither in the game itself, nor in the manual). It's something like "The story of Thor" - does not mean anything.