Wow John, a few years pass and you go from graphics hacking to making mod chips, as well as advancing SNES Emulation in general. Well done.
Thanks for the complements! I don't really feel like I advanced any SNES Emulation
but I do want to try and contribute to the snes hacking community. I did something
with bsnes plus that you would probably like. I updated the tracer in bsnes plus
that removes all slowdowns while tracing code even while refreshing the vram viewer
but I still need to clean the code up before I release it but hopefully I can in 2020.
I updated my design for the super v-power mod chip but I don't have the time to make
it yet. The new design is going to look super clean and I'm also hoping to have this
ready in 2020. I see you have changed your name.
No, you don't need to update emulators. The patch works fine for me. I checked
the time of when the ship crashes when letting the game play on its own and the
time of the crash was about 2:30:47. In Vitors sa-1 hack the crash is around
2:27:58 so its getting closer. When the stuff that I did with the decompressed
graphics is added it should lower the time by around a second but I still need
to finish the rest of the decompression before its ready. I'm going to need to
write a program to create the decompression patch and I'm hoping I'll have it
ready to test mid to end of November. Hopefully we can have the decompressed
graphics and both of our optimizations incorporated into the program by the end
of December. Do you know C++?
I still have a lot off things to do until I can get back to working on gradius
but I'm hoping I'll be able to start working on some more stuff by the end of
Here is a doc for all of the objects in each level. http://www.mediafire.com/file/qmmevdj92hfsif7/gradius_3_level_data_for_objects.txt/file
The notes are incomplete and they need to be updated but the doc can still be
used if someone wanted to try to change some of the objects around in the levels
using a hex editor. Only the 1st and 2nd levels have notes but I'll have the doc
fully completed and upload to romhacking.net shortly after the new year. After I
finish the level docs I'll start working on a level editor for the levels.
October 08, 2019, 06:09:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I did another timing test on the most recent patch that Aaendi posted and the
timing is closer to sa-1 than I thought it was. What I did for the new test for
the timing was set a breakpoint on the 1st object data for the volcano level
which is $01:BE80. It will break on that data offset twice. Once at $80/F77C
and another time at $80/F886. After the break on $80/F886 turn the breakpoints
off and let the game play until the ship 1st crashes in the volcano level and
Aaendi's most recent patch it will crash at around 1:29.06. Vitor's sa-1 patch
crashes at around 1:28.91. That means in game play is now only about .15 seconds
behind vitor's sa-1 patch from the time the volcano stage starts to when the
ship 1st crashes. The original rom with no modifications the ship crashes at
around 1:43.91 and the decompression patch that I haven't posted yet (because
the patch has a lot of Konomi's graphics in the patch so I need to write a
program that creates the patch for everyone to test it) the ship crashes around
1:42.30. The decompression patch that I have does not have any of the fastrom
or assembly optimizations in it that the most recent patch has and the speed up
is not from not decompressing anything. The speed up is from how I change how and
when the game updates the graphics in vram. Gradius 3 is constantly updating the
graphics in vram even if the graphics doesn't need to be updated so that eats up a
lot of time. I removed all of those useless vram updates and now it only updates
vram when the graphics actually need to be updated.
I changed the timing test like this because when the game 1st loads it has to
decompress a lot of graphics before you even get to the title screen and that eats
up a lot of time so it was a little misleading for testing the timing difference
between vitor's sa-1 patch and the most recent patch that Aaendi posted. With my
decompression patch none of those graphics get decompressed so that part of the
game should be faster that vitor's sa-1 patch because it doesn't decompress
anything and the sa-1 patch still has to decompress the graphics.
I think after Aaendi and I merge the decompress graphics patch that I have with the
Aaendi's most recent additions to the fastrom patch we will have a patch that is
pretty much almost equal to the Vitor's sa-1 patch or slightly faster. I think
everyone should stop destroying sa-1 carts to remove slow down in gradius 3 and
wait for the merged patches to be completed. It will definitely be worth the wait.