News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Will we ever see PC Engine CD more epic translations?  (Read 9992 times)

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
Will we ever see PC Engine CD more epic translations?
« on: December 30, 2018, 03:39:48 pm »
The sheer number of both definitive RPG ports and exclusives for the system is rather mind boggling.  Arunamu No Kiba  is an exclusive that I feel is a very underrated RPG just to name one.

Xak 1&2 remake for the system is also something I think English gamers should experience. I played through Xak 1 and 2 on the MSX and I truly feel Xak 1 is one of the greatest action RPGs of that Era. I enjoyed Xak1 much more than Ys 1 and 2 for any system except the PCE CD versions obviously. 

Far East of Eden Ziria is gaming HISTORY as it's the first CD ROM console RPG and it's a good game. The sequel on the same system is even better with a higher production value aND awesome battles.

I really hope one day once the NES and SNES projects are satisfied  we move on to the epics we missed . I'm still holding off playing Emerald Dragon on SNES hoping for the PCE version to be translated as I've heard rumors.

Blood Gear though you may not need Japanese knowledge to beat the game is such a great game. I honestly got stuck later in the game not knowing the language what to do in a certain outdoor level which kept looping.

Any other PCE games you think are wOrth bringing over to English?
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

filler

• RHDN Supporter
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Will we ever see PC Engine CD more epic translations?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:46:46 pm »
Agreed it's criminally overlooked. David Shadoff is still working on Dead of the Brain. https://twitter.com/Shadoff_d/status/1045825936849960960?s=09

vhal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:05:03 pm »
Any other PCE games you think are wOrth bringing over to English?

Seiya Monogatari: AnEarth Fantasy Stories
Kisou Louga
Sol Moonarge
Burai II: Yami Koutei no Gyakushuu
Tenshi no Uta
Linda³
Aurora Quest: Otaku no Seiza in Another World
Cosmic Fantasy
Dragon Knight

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:16:06 pm »
Agreed it's criminally overlooked. David Shadoff is still working on Dead of the Brain. https://twitter.com/Shadoff_d/status/1045825936849960960?s=09

That's cool. It looks he'll only be able to insert a French script anytime soon though, bummer.

I hope there'll be the some news from the Legend of Xanadu next year, it's been a while.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:04:22 am »
There have only been a couple of PCE-CD translations over the years, so I'm not really holding my breath for these projects, but I agree it would be great to see more of them. From what I recall elmer has been working on Seiya Monogatari for a while, so perhaps that one will see the light of day eventually. Aurora Quest is a remake of Otaku no Seiza for the FC - OnS is also being translated currently. Anyway, I think it's much more likely that the HuCard games will get translation patches first, for what they're worth. Nonetheless, can't wait to play that French translation of Dead of the Brain!

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 08:41:59 am »
I'd like to get into to some PCE hacking eventually. I even have one PCE backburner project, but it's just a matter of time and priorities.

It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of Mednafen's lack of GUI, especially for the debugger.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 11:13:47 am »
Pennywise: For what it's worth, there are a few GUI options for Mednafan.
Mednafen Reborn is what I've been using for my WonderSwan translation efforts. The Wiki lists a few others, including a multi-platform one if you're not working on a Windows machine.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 02:07:15 pm »
I've tried a few GUI's for Mednafen maybe even that one too and they seemed not very intuitive and more obtuse.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:27:58 pm »
I hope there'll be the some news from the Legend of Xanadu next year, it's been a while.

From what I understand the Xanadu translation, specifically the fandub since the actual translation and hacking are complete, went on a break for a while due to SamIAm having his second child. However, a few weeks ago they said they were back to making regular progress on the dub.

elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 05:35:46 pm »

From what I understand the Xanadu translation, specifically the fandub since the actual translation and hacking are complete, went on a break for a while due to SamIAm having his second child. However, a few weeks ago they said they were back to making regular progress on the dub.

Yep, there is progress, but it is going very slowly because family and real-life comes first. SamIAm just doesn't have the spare time that he did in his bachelor days. I'm sure that most people here can understand that.

It's a bit sad that we've had two fully-translated games sitting on hold for over a year now, but we need to finish the dub so that players will be able to appreciate the full stories that Falcom created.

From what I recall elmer has been working on Seiya Monogatari for a while, so perhaps that one will see the light of day eventually.

The game scripts have been extracted, but there's been no reason to move forward from there when my translation-partner is still busy on the LoX dub.

On the (massively) positive side, this game doesn't need a dub, because all of the VO is subtitled, which means that the translation should come together pretty fast when we finally get to it.

On the negative side, the game's scripting system is a bit ugly to work with, and there are 286 script files (over 4MB of data) for the translator to wade through.

Anyway, I think it's much more likely that the HuCard games will get translation patches first, for what they're worth.

It is far easier to hack HuCard games, since you can just add extra ROM space to the translation, as you do on the SNES, and you don't have to worry about doing a dub.

So yes, you'd think that there would be more HuCard translations.

I'd like to get into to some PCE hacking eventually. I even have one PCE backburner project, but it's just a matter of time and priorities.

It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of Mednafen's lack of GUI, especially for the debugger.

Personally, I'm very happy that I don't have to deal with any GUI when I'm using Mednafen for translation hacking. I find it faster to just use the keyboard.

But everyone has their own preferences.

For me, the problem with Mednafen's debugger is not that I have to remember a few keyboard commands, it is that the debugger display is (IMHO) ugly and hard to read.

So I changed it ... thank gawd for Open Source software!

There are patches and a build script on github ... mednafen-happyeyes

If anyone is interested, then I could upload binaries here. I already provide links to Windows versions in my "PCE Programming Links" thread, but that is on another forum.

Dave Shadoff has recently started writing some articles/threads on how to hack PCE-CD games, and I've taken the opportunity to start hacking the 2 Tenshi no Uta games so that I can provide my slightly-different perspective on how to go about translating a game on the PCE platform.

To go along with the new translation-hacking, I have made some more changes to Mednafen, such as adding "Disassemble to File" and "Hex Dump to File", which are making my investigation and note-taking phase much more pleasant than it was with the LoX and Anearth hacking.

The folks here just doesn't seem to have much love for the PCE, so I tend not to post here.

Since the community-meltdown on the old PCEngineFX forum earlier this year, most of the active PCE development discussion can now be found on the PC Engine Bible forum.

If there are people here interested in PCE translation hacking/techniques, then I would be happy to post here more.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 11:03:28 am »
I do remember the supposed translation going on for Emerald Dragon for PCE, but honestly nothing came of it afaik, and there was a meltdown on another forum about PCE? What caused that exactly? two games I'm interested to see translated is Alshark and Dragonslayer - Legend of Heroes II. Most LOH games have been translated at this point all except for that particular game (not counting the LOH ColdSteel games).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:15:55 am by Kallisto »

dshadoff

• View Profile
    • Homepage (really old)
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 02:11:18 pm »
A deficit of translators for games on this system is (at least for the past 10 years) the primary bottleneck.

Emerald Dragon's translation is incomplete.
Seiya Monogatari has been extracted but not translated.
Dead of the Brain will receive a French translation first, because there is no English translator for it.
..And there are various other projects with partial (and even complete) extracts but no translators.

So, if anybody here is a translator with a track record on large projects, and would like to work on a PC Engine translation, please let us know.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:33:43 pm by dshadoff »

Tarosuke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 05:58:36 pm »
The PC Engine definately deserves more love in the translation scene which is bizare considering the sheer amount of quality JRPG's and exclusive Japanese titles it has.

From what I gather here is the state of the current scene;
CD-ROM
Legend of Xanadu I & II - (translated but awaiting dubbing to be finished by elmer / SamIAm)
Cosmic Fantasy 1 (in progress - Dave Shadoff)
Dead of the Brain I & II (French translation in progress - Dave Shadoff)
Tengai Makyou Ziria (Tom &? Maybe EsperKnight who was working on it previously? Tom has expressd a desire to translate the Tengai Makyou games for the PC Engine, starting with Ziria but he wants to finish Zill O'll first).
Emerald Dragon (the project has been resurrected by NightWolve and he has been posting updates on his Twitter page).
Startling Odyssey II (Tru) (machine translated) (Not accepted by many to be a genuine translation but it's playable enough).
Seiya Monogatari (script extracted by Elmer but not translated)
Tenshi no Uta 1 & 2 (preliminary analysis being conducted by Elmer)

HuCard

Gai Flame (translated and completed but for some reason it has not been uploaded on the Romhacking website).
City Hunter (Filler / Cabbage - script translated, currently being reinserted/hacked).
Victory Life (script extracted by Filler).
Cyber Knight (the intro and some early parts of the game has been translated by Megatron-UK but appears he has abandoned the project - https://github.com/megatron-uk/cyberknight-pce).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 07:57:08 pm »
D translated Gai Flame (or Guy Frame or whichever other variations I have seen), didn't he?
I can't recall if he ever insisted on being the only host of any of his patches. It feels like something he might have done once.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• RHDN Supporter
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:29 pm »
City Hunter (Filler / Cabbage - script translated, currently being reinserted/hacked).

FYI: We've made some good progress on this. I'm basically holding this up right now on the script editing phase. Hoping to have that resolved one way or another before too long.