News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Projects Thread  (Read 1382 times)

Sinis

• View Profile
Castlevania Projects Thread
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:00:52 am »
I'm going to combine all of the projects I'm working on (minus CoA) into one thread so nothing will get cluttered on here with multiple threads floating around plus this will help me keep organized in 2019 and beyond.  This will include joint projects with people as they are more than welcome to post up on here as well :)

There is no set time to complete these as this is a hobby for me alongside other things now in my life so don't expect me to be working on said project all the time as I'll be skipping around with all of these once Umbral Genesis is done as that is my main focus right now alongside CoA :)

Super Castlevania Legends

-Hack based on Super Castlevania IV-

This project has gone back and forth on the table between me and bogaabogaa in the past half year or so, maybe a year.  Lost track due to all the stuff that's been going on.  It was shelved due to some stuff going on but after talking with bogaa again it will be worked on in the future.  This was seen on my Discord server multiple times along with one video posted up but took it down due to a lot of errors made in the previous sprite set that I was editing and using from Serio's Castlevania Fighter.  Permission was sought to use the Sonia sprite set.  I'm just editing and making new Sonia 16 bit sprites to fit into Super Castlevania IV which is a very odd placement to what they got set out for Simon's base so I'm making the most plausible outcome to work with Sonia's opposite attack motion (farthest arm instead of  near).  You have to adapt and that's what I'm doing :P

The goal for this is a full on hack with tons of programming done so new bosses and elements can be added to the game.  I'll be doing whatever sprites and other stuff while bogaa does what he can.  There are plans to have other SNES programmers to join in on this but so far its in the early phase of planning between me and bogaa.  Plans are to make this the world's first full on SCIV hack with everything changed within it for a new experience.  It won't be based on the GameBoy version as it will be a fan service thing, like how Legends NES is going to be :)

A new video will come later in the future once Sonia's sprite set is completed.

Super Castlevania

-Hack based on Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse-

Made a suggestion about this years ago but no one wants to do it since its based on Castlevania 3.  A retelling of Castlevania.  I'm hoping that RetroRain gets back with me on seeing if they are interested in making an MMC5 patch for this so I can bring this one step further among the rest.  More info will be gone over in time :)

Castlevania Legends NES

-Hack based on Akumajou Densetsu-

Last year someone had a big mouth and leaked that I was working back on this after the recent fiasco I ran in to.  There are two people right now working on tearing the ROM apart to make a brand new editor specifically for Akumajou Densetsu.  This will be years off from now until the editor is 100% complete as I'm going to work with the programmers and see if it can be just like Stake mixed with reVamp.  They've been busy with real life lately so haven't had much of a chance to talk to them.

There is someone slowly working on the soundtrack while nesfan works on CoA then soon UG so that's a plus :)

Castlevania: Vengeance on Hell II

-Hack based on Akumajou Densetsu or placed in NES Maker-

Same as Legends NES, someone spread around that I was working back on this project alongside Legends NES when the editor is released.  There is also the idea of placing it on NES Maker once the makers of that program bring out vertical scrolling combined with horizontal scrolling.  When that happens it will most likely be placed on NES Maker so I can do whatever to it.

Castlevania: Resurrection of Darkness

-Hack based on Harmony of Dissonance-

This title was too good to let go so making this a continuation after Umbral Genesis.  A story is worked out along with the character.  I'll reveal more later :)

I will be making full use of LagoLunatic's DSVania editor and do everything from scratch so it will be a new experience.  I'm hoping to drag Sephirous along if he wants to journey into the land of GBA hacking :)

Castlevania: Umbral Genesis

-Hack based on Castlevania 1-

Most people know about this so not much to say.  Its still being MMC5 as Optomon will help with programming especially doing the customized Snake's Revenge sound engine.  There are other goodies planned which will be revealed later once most of the programming is done.  Trying to make this its own type of thing as when this is done I want to talk to the creator of Stake to make an editor specifically for this since it will not be like the other Castlevania ROM hacks.  2019 is going to be a big year for this project as I will be working on this again in January, once the new boss sprite is made for CoA :)

Castlevania III: Ballad of Sympathy

-NES Maker-

After talking to Sephirous about the potential in making this like Simon's Quest but on NES Maker he was all for it.  The original story is still on the table for this though when we get to this project is unknown right now.  A shame that there isn't any new Simon's Quest editors to replace the ones right now or update them to be highly flexible like reVamp.  This was suppose to be an actual spiritual successor to Castlevania Bloodlust visual and programming wise but due to how the editors are for Simon's Quest we bailed on that idea and went with NES Maker :)
Castlevania ROM Center on Discord
https://discord.gg/eXDzAyg

Discord: Sinis#4332

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania Projects Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:59:10 am »
Holy :o seven Castlevania romhacks,damn Sinis,you got alot of things on your plate,but still some of these I already know BUT not Super Castlevania Legends and Castlevania Resurrection of Darkness,I'll be looking forward to these games & I can't wait to play Umbral Genesis in 2019,keep up the great work Sinis. :thumbsup:

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:13:51 am »

I posted this picture up on my Discord some time back.  Still working on it little at a time around CoA though after this week when I get Carmilla's Revenge done I'll be doing Umbral once more.

Some things have changed when I took this screenshot.  Too lazy to go through the game just for updated screenshots.  Will post more later on :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:38:30 am »
Nice work Sinis,keep up the good on Umbral Genesis and CoA. :)

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:52:26 am »

Since I'm almost done with CoA's new boss, decided to plunder around spriting for the GBA.

Read someplace that the max color for a character is like a 12 color palette though since I'm new to GBA hacking I'll find out once I place it in unless someone can confirm this.

RoD will be a direct sequel to Umbral Genesis, more will be revealed later when I work on the project more outside of the sprites.  Need to find out if there is a music module creator for GBA music like how FamiTracker is for the NES.  Google doesn't help out so curious if the community here knows where to look or direct me to something   :beer:

...and yes, RoD will be a full on hack as everything in it will be changed.  Nothing won't be left behind including the area layout.  After looking at DSVania Editor I fell in love with it but other projects come first  :laugh:

Other news on projects.  Well...not sure on what the progress is for the Akumajou Densetsu editor so Legends NES will have to wait a tad longer for it to return let alone seeing if my FamiTracker guy for its soundtrack fell off the planet as there has been over a month silence from them (hope I didn't get lied to again).  The idea on VoH 2 is being debated on either build it on NES Maker or Aria of Sorrow since I just want one project on Akumajou Densetsu now.  Trying not to be indecisive again :P

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:39:14 am »
Those sprites are looking great :) also Im looking forward to play Umbral Genesis this year as well as to see the updated Carmilla sprite this sunday,keep up the great work with those. :thumbsup:

I see about the other projects,I'll my fingers crossed for them.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 07:59:38 pm »

Talked to a GBA hacker and said I can add more colors so did the SNES limit of 15.

In the coming week I'll start working with a full sprite sheet for HoD while taking a break from other stuff and see how it goes.  Progress of it I will post up via YouTube and see how everyone reacts to it.  I'll most likely use these colors in the Super Castlevania IV hack as these turned out better than the darker version posted about  :beer:

Trying to find info on  how to edit the music in HoD let alone create GBA reference music that can be inserted into it.  Messaged around to a few people online as they had GBA hacks with edited music so hoping for some sort of feedback and insight on this.

Castlevania Legends NES

Yes...the unholy information saga continues.  I'm at the point to cut my losses on VRC6 and go back to U.S version then explore options about MMC5 support with a sound engine to match it or have one modified for the game.  No amount of apologies can be expressed to this community and many others about how this project was brought up, went down in flames then scraped up like a pile of shit covering a feather in hopes it can be cleaned up and restored back to how it originally was.  I'll be asking for feedback on this decision and for the love of god, don't hold nothing back about this topic.  Sonia is still coming out for the NES one way or another :P

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:45:35 pm »
Hey that Sonia sprite is looking great! :)

Good Im glad to see you aren't giving up on the projects you are passionate about.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:09 am »
Late reply.  Thank you as usual David :)

Still working on stage 4-2.  Been going through a lot of designs on trying to make stuff pop out.  Getting close to something finally.  Though, an update for the music.  Due to sudden issues with the original composure I can no longer use their music so I'm currently scrambling around to at least get originals placed in.  I have permission to use some of Optomon's music from Bloodlust along with Jorge D. Fuentes working on an original piece himself.  I also asked BrandO from THE ADVENTURES OF BRANDO for permission to use one of his original music tracks and got approval of it so Nesfan has some work there to convert it to the MMC5 module.  In the end I need about 11 tracks left to go, some long though the rest very short.  Need an extremely good boss theme to replace the awesome one that I did have.  Still got plenty of time to get music done but from the recent events I didn't see coming gotta adjust and move on.

At the end of the week I will be showing something off (finally) about Stage 4-2.  Going to be very busy with a lot of things, especially helping MindFlower with a few more things for Space Complex :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »
Anytime. :)

That sounds very interesting,Im happy to see some progress on Umbral Genesis,I can't wait to play the game,plus I can't wait to see the early footage of Stage 4 :)