News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Stories of Ihatovo (Super Famicom) American English translation - Released  (Read 5667 times)

Tom

• View Profile
I've collaborated with DDSTrans and FlashPV to translate another obscure Super Famicom game into American English.

This one is called イーハトーヴォ物語, or "The Stories of Ihatovo."

You can download the patching set here:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4116/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:17:20 am by Tom »

ginbunbun

• View Profile
Re: The Stories of Ihatovo
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 12:55:28 pm »
Nice one Tom. Another translated Super Famicom game is great to hear. This game tho I can't say I've ever heard of it. Seems interesting.

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
Re: The Stories of Ihatovo
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 02:13:08 pm »
It's great to see a game you're interested in getting translated, but it's even better seeing games you've never heard of getting translated. I love these adventure games. Reminds me that I really need to read some of Miyazawa's stories, I heard he was a great writer.

Tom

• View Profile
Re: The Stories of Ihatovo (Super Famicom) English translation
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:48:21 pm »
DDSTranslation was saying that the script system was structured in an even trickier way than Last Bible III.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:05:07 am »
So then this one will take its time, I assume.  We'll be waiting for it  ;)

Thanks once again for your excellent works, guys! :thumbsup:

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:09:34 am »
No, everything's already done. It just needs testing.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:07:23 am »
I look forward to playing this one. Thank you and DDS for all the great work :3

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:04:11 am »
Oh man, I've actually been wanting to play this game ever since I read about it on HG101 years ago. Awesome work guys :)

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:41 pm »
No, everything's already done. It just needs testing.

That's great! :banghead:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:01:13 pm »
Oh man, I've actually been wanting to play this game ever since I read about it on HG101 years ago. Awesome work guys :)
Yes indeed:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ihatovo-monogatari/

It was also sufficiently big at the time that it was featured on Orchestral Game Concert 5, alongside Donkey Kong Country and DQVI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGsou3UZzeo

For some reason, lots of people call it "Iihatoovo Hymn", and some places manage to get it completely wrong and call it "Lihatoovo Hymn".

Anyway, I had heard at some point that this game was one of those inconceivably-difficult ones whose translation would never see the light of day.  So, congratulations!
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 01:47:23 am »
Amazing as always, Tom and DDS.
I never thought this would ever see a translation. Adventure games are usually dead last in translation suggestions, which makes it all the more obvious this was a real passion project.

The video teaser looks glorious. The kerning for the italic font seems off though, which is more noticeable because it's the very first thing displayed ingame, but it's not a deal-killer if the variable width technique used here (which I'm suspecting is the stock routine already in the JP version) doesn't allow for much flexibility.

There are some probable solutions, like in the translation patch for Super Famicom Wars adding new control codes (for use in the text) to shift the next printed character x numbers of pixels to the right to account for kerning, and add that control code every single instance it shows wrong.
Maybe keeping multiple copies of the main italic font with different character widths (smaller than the actual width they take as pixels) could be another solution to achieve a similar result.

At worst, glyph combos with kerning problems can be combined in the kanji font as a prerendered single glyph, like:
• 'd in I'd
• pp in happened
• ff in off
• in
• ge in get
• of
• ry in fairy
• Wh in what

It's a tiny blemish on an otherwise stellar looking translation. I hope this doesn't make you reconsider the use of italics in a translation project, because it's rare to see someone go that extra mile in game translations.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:11:16 pm »
I took another look at the italics font to see if I could get some kerning without having to manually edit the script. So I came up with a system that checks the first two pixel columns on the left and right side of each letter to see if a following letter can fit under it. I tried to avoid having letters touch diagonally except for ones with descenders, which are treated as having a smaller height.

Here's some newer pics to show what that looks like.

Old vs new:

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 10:50:07 pm »
I took another look at the italics font to see if I could get some kerning without having to manually edit the script. So I came up with a system that checks the first two pixel columns on the left and right side of each letter to see if a following letter can fit under it. I tried to avoid having letters touch diagonally except for ones with descenders, which are treated as having a smaller height.

Here's some newer pics to show what that looks like.

Old vs new:

i like the way the new text looks. Nice one.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 02:23:46 am »
Amazing... An automatic kerning routine is more than I ever hoped for. It doesn't even get implemented in most fonts meant for computer text processors (that instead use a massive database of problem dual glyphs and overrides their default widths) so to see it in a SNES game is surreal. The implementation is really clever yet makes perfect sense, I'm really looking forward to see it in action, and if possible the details of the implementation should you wish to make some of your notes public after the release. To my understanding, besides the Phantasy Star visual novels, this sort of thing is unheard of.

You really went all out on this :)

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 03:59:24 pm »
Looks like amazing work. I'll likely add this to my shortlist of games to Lets Play on DGB when completely tested :beer:

torridgristle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 07:14:15 pm »
The kerning is a huge improvement, but my eyes do not want to focus on that font. It just looks like a bunch of diagonal lines unless I really focus.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 06:34:14 pm »
I quite like it. It lends to a hand written aesthetic which looks really good

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 07:43:25 pm »
The font reminds me of Shining Force. Love it.

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 09:22:27 pm »
Totally agree on the Shining Force vibe. And it's already done! Great way to end off a pretty big year for SNES translations.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:27 pm »
Indeed, this year was amazing for the SNES scene :)