News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Best/Worst game(s) from 2018  (Read 3437 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
Best/Worst game(s) from 2018
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:57 pm »
Since 2019 is coming in two weeks as of this writing, I supposed we should share our opinions. The title is self-explanatory.

For you, what was the best and/or worst game from this year? Mine is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for best and Fallout 76 for worst.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Best/Worst game(s) from 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:49:56 am »
Keep in mind that I don't do much with AAA for various reasons, so my list is going to be different.

Best: Tales of Maj'Eyal's Forbidden Cults expansion.  Being a two legged, two armed eldritch horror is about as awesome as it sounds.  Oh, and special shoutout the revamp of the Archer class+the announcement of years old Embers of Rage campaign getting an update with new content.  How often do you hear about any kind of DLC getting more content without you paying more money?  Runner up: Talisman finally getting all the board corner expansions was pretty huge for me, also Spyro.

Worst: FarSight's The Pinball Arcade's offerings this year.  They've had a hard ride due to losing the licenses to the better digital pinball developer, but they might as well have just shut the whole thing down and put out a new Cheetahmen.  Runner up: the Fallout 76 debacle, I guess the Playstation Classic also deserves a mention.

Also since we're on RHDN...

Best hack/mod: A tie between the translation of Majin Tensei II and Last Bible III.  Runner up: Doom: The Golden Souls 2, Grandia's full undub.

Worst: Can't think of any, it's been a good year!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:02:02 am by Chronosplit »

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:01:54 pm »
There was so much good stuff this Year, this month alone there was Katamari Reroll, TWEWY Switch, Smash Ultimate, Gal Metal...

Possibly one of the only bad games I've personally seen this year was The Forest on PS4, generic survival game number whatever, but the person I was watching had just received a major update that had the game utterly losing its shit, gratuitous physics glitches, gravity scaling errors, bosses unloading... what a piece of shit.

On the hacking side, before I wandered off earlier this year, I picked up Gideons SMT IF translation which was a good play, as was Metal Slader Glory although I forget who put that one out.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 03:37:20 pm »
the best: Dragon Quest XI.
the worst: heaps of indie trash, too numerous to mention by titles. also, Fallout 76 as the biggest fuckup of the year.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:28:19 am »
I have never liked big budget titles. I've always liked 8-bit games. So answering this topic is going to be tough for me.

Best: The Longest Five Minutes. Good to see a quality RPG get released.
Worst: Kirby Star Allies. They should be ashamed of Kirby. It's toooo easy.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 07:02:07 am »
Strong agree with thr

Dragon Quest XI was heavenly and easily the best.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 01:16:51 pm »
Worst: Kirby Star Allies. They should be ashamed of Kirby. It's toooo easy.
Is it not one of those cases where they've thrown in a ridiculously-hardcore Extra mode for the people who want to experience true rage?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:15 pm »
I've played Kirby Star Allies, and it's fairly decent IMO. I don't see anything wrong with it aside from being easy.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 07:20:15 pm »
I always hear people complain about Kirby being too easy no matter which game it is, but didn't SA add another difficulty level just for those people or something? or is Soul Melter EX not what I think it is?

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 03:34:06 am »
I've played Kirby Star Allies, and it's fairly decent IMO. I don't see anything wrong with it aside from being easy.

It's also super bland.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.