News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Moldorian: Hikari to Yami no Sister translation released  (Read 3799 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Supper

A full English translation of the 1994 Game Gear RPG Moldorian: Hikari to Yami no Sister (The Sisters of Light and Darkness) has been released!

Moldorian tells the story of Navarre, a timid and ineffectual boy whose quest to prove his strength sweeps him and his childhood friend Miria up into a dark plot spanning the entire world of Moldoria. Largely a straightforward RPG, the game's biggest selling points are its detailed artwork, music by Hitoshi Sakimoto, and unorthodox combat system.

This release was the work of TheMajinZenki (translation), Supper (hacking), cccmar (editing and testing), Xanathis (testing and editing), and Filler (original script dump).

The team also took the time to translate the user manual and include it in both the patch download and the game itself. Players are highly recommended to read it before getting into a battle.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Moldorian: Hikari to Yami no Sister translation released
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:15 am »
Always is very nice to see a new translation for a GG game, especially if is for an RPG.

Thanks a lot to the team involved on this effort :thumbsup:

Projects like this one turn on my hopes to see on a future finally translated Last Bible I for this console :)

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 10:52:10 am »
Man, you guys have been killing it this year with tons of different translations. This looks really interesting and I actually just finished Idol Hakkenden the other day. Thank you for all your hard work!

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »
Always is very nice to see a new translation for a GG game, especially if is for an RPG.

Thanks a lot to the team involved on this effort :thumbsup:

Projects like this one turn on my hopes to see on a future finally translated Last Bible I for this console :)

Thanks! This is a pretty straightforward game, which is probably why no one picked it up before now, but it's not a bad one.

Filler's been putting a lot of work into trying to get Game Gear games translated, so there'll probably be more of those coming soon.

Man, you guys have been killing it this year with tons of different translations. This looks really interesting and I actually just finished Idol Hakkenden the other day. Thank you for all your hard work!

Thank you! Mostly it's just been a case of everyone having time to work on things. It won't last forever, so enjoy it while you can. (And I hope you liked Idol Hakkenden, I think we all had a pretty good time with that one.)

For this game in particular, the stars really aligned to let us get it out so soon -- the script was already translated, the text display code was very centralized and easy to edit, and it didn't require any major art edits. Don't expect us to have another RPG out in a week :)

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »
I've just started with the game and I'm having a blast with it. It takes me back to my early teen years playing Defenders of Oasis, hehehe.

By the way, what I'm going to say cannot be considered a bug, but rather a warning to other players. I'm playing the game in Windows 7 with the Genesis Plus GX 1.7.4 f64e755 core of retroarch. I'm having lots of glitching problems when using savestates and loading from them (the graphics often glitch, specially inside of caves. When that happens, it's dangerous because you can walk through walls and end up stuck inside of solid rock and unable to move). I'm sorry if the explanation is not very clear, I'll try to record a video showing when this happens.

I've only tried this emulator, so I don't know if this also happens in every emulator with savestate feature included. So, be very careful when using them. Have always more than one savestate (or avoid using them except in cases of extreme necessity) and also use regularly the in-game save feature to avoid getting stuck in the game.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 01:37:46 pm »
Glad to see the Game Gear get some love. I've been thinking of getting back into RPGs next year, so this is definitely one I'll try. BTW, the GDRI website links to a Japanese page with proper, non-pseudonym credits: http://park21.wakwak.com/~suka/sega/staff/f3_gg/moldorian.html Most of the graphics team worked on the Shining Force Gaiden games. They seem to have been part of a company called Rit's.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 03:02:49 pm »
Glad to see the Game Gear get some love. I've been thinking of getting back into RPGs next year, so this is definitely one I'll try. BTW, the GDRI website links to a Japanese page with proper, non-pseudonym credits: http://park21.wakwak.com/~suka/sega/staff/f3_gg/moldorian.html Most of the graphics team worked on the Shining Force Gaiden games. They seem to have been part of a company called Rit's.

That's cool, thanks! And yeah, you may likely expect at least a few more GG projects next year. Would be cool to deal with the majority of text-heavy games, at the very least. With Moldorian done, the only other RPGs of this type for the system are Eternal Legend (while we're at it, does anyone know if this game is any good?) and Last Bible I (the superior version of the game). Madou Monogatari games are all dungeon crawlers... either way, who knows what's gonna happen in the future. ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:37:03 pm by cccmar »

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
Thank you! Mostly it's just been a case of everyone having time to work on things. It won't last forever, so enjoy it while you can. (And I hope you liked Idol Hakkenden, I think we all had a pretty good time with that one.)

For this game in particular, the stars really aligned to let us get it out so soon -- the script was already translated, the text display code was very centralized and easy to edit, and it didn't require any major art edits. Don't expect us to have another RPG out in a week :)

Yeah, I realize that this release speed isn't something that can be done consistently but it is still impressive. And yes, I did really enjoy Idol Hakkenden. Made me laugh more than I thought it would.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 11:18:14 am »
Thanks a lot, few questions on gameplay
 I see party members come and go in this one.  I don't want to invest too much on equipment and magic if a member is going to leave so when do you get your final party, at what town or dungeon or point in the game?  What are the names of those party members so I can finally splurge on equipment and magic on them.

Also just got out of the mountain and gave that girl a medical herb and still don't get how to use items in battle. I have not purchased magic yet because again, not sure of end game party, so is it easy to cast?

Thanks.  Cool mid 90s handheld RPG btw, great translation!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:27:20 am by travel27 »

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:05:46 pm »
I see party members come and go in this one.  I don't want to invest too much on equipment and magic if a member is going to leave so when do you get your final party, at what town or dungeon or point in the game?  What are the names of those party members so I can finally splurge on equipment and magic on them.

Also just got out of the mountain and gave that girl a medical herb and still don't get how to use items in battle. I have not purchased magic yet because again, not sure of end game party, so is it easy to cast?

Thanks.  Cool mid 90s handheld RPG btw, great translation!

Hey, thanks for the kind words! Now, to answer your questions:

Spoiler:
So, question number 1 - the final party = main protagonist, Luthran and Seria; you're still not particularly close to that point, but don't worry, this game doesn't really get more grindy later - you can escape battles fairly easily.

Question number 2: You have to 'equip' spells/items in the equip menu, and then to use them -> hold Button 2 + arrow up/right/down (depending on which button you assigned a given item to) and for Spells -> hold Button 1 + arrow up/right/down/left, again, depending on how you assign them. I strongly recommend status spells, in this game they are very useful, because they work on almost all the enemies to my knowledge! Some healing/attack spells can also come in handy, especially those with the 'Freeze' status (it acts kinda like 'Sleep/Stun').
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:26:33 pm by cccmar »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »
That's cool, thanks! And yeah, you may likely expect at least a few more GG projects next year. Would be cool to deal with the majority of text-heavy games, at the very least. With Moldorian done, the only other RPGs of this type for the system are Eternal Legend (while we're at it, does anyone know if this game is any good?) and Last Bible I (the superior version of the game). Madou Monogatari games are all dungeon crawlers... either way, who knows what's gonna happen in the future. ;)
Thanks for all your hard work, it's nice to see Game Gear games getting some attention. I haven't been able to play much of it yet, but its' been pretty fun so far. Eternal Legend is another GG game that I've been interested in for a whlile now too. I can't really tell just how good it is since I can't read Japanese that well, but gameplay wise, it seems like it would be about as good as Moldorian. If Eternal Legend gets translated, I would definitely be interested in playing it as well. :thumbsup:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:52 pm »
I just hope Eternal Legend is more Defenders of Oasis and less Phantasy Star Gaiden in terms of quality, but it could go either way.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 02:34:00 pm »
So, a few weeks ago I released an update for this patch and completely and totally neglected to actually post anything here about it! Oops!

Moldorian: The Sisters of Light and Darkness v1.1

The changes to the patch are relatively minor, but the big addition, thanks to some truly awesome work by Novyal, is a full scanslation of the user manual! I put up a page on my website where you can view or download it, and the PDF is also included with the patch download from RHDN. It's absolutely gorgeous, so be sure to check it out! (And don't complain about the battle system until you do!)

The changes to the patch itself are largely just minor tweaks and bugfixes. Here's the list from the readme:
v1.1 (23 Aug 2019):
  * The patch now comes packaged with a fully scanslated manual! Major thanks to
Novyal for doing an awesome editing job (and apologies for taking so long to
release it).
  * Fixed a minor palette issue that occurred in the original game: whenever a
character portrait was displayed, the window background color would darken
slightly and remain that way until a new map was loaded. The darker color is now
always used, as was probably the intention. This isn't the only problem with
palette conflicts in the game, but it's one of the most noticeable.
  * Fixed a bug that was causing the horizontal separators on the status screen
to not show up.
  * Fixed a bug that could cause the player name on the name entry screen to be
displayed incorrectly when a character was erased under certain circumstances.
The input handling on this screen is still kind of wonky, but that's how it was
in the original game.
  * Modified the "0" character in the font to look less like an "8".
  * Reduced the width of certain menu windows to remove "dead space" on the
right side caused by the translated text being shorter than the original.
  * Very tiny script tweaks here and there (proper use of "Your Majesty" vs.
"Your Highness", etc.).