News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: List of Co-op / Multiplayer hacks  (Read 125445 times)

NesDraug

• View Profile
Re: List of Co-op / Multiplayer hacks
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2022, 03:56:06 am »
Thank you for the answer, seem to be quite a challenging hobby that fits experienced hackers only.
I wish someone would make tools to make particular hacks easier.

I would also like to add co op to more games. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) and The Legend of Zelda comes to mind.

But I have only begun to understand assembly and although I've made some hacks I'm still very much dependent on more experienced hackers for help.

The NES used a modified 6502 processor and most games were written in Assembly.
If the source code is available and you understand the programming language you will be able to work miracles.

A lot of the NES games have been disassembled by the likes of Cyneprepou4uk and are available on github.
✍️ Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

💀 Join my crypt on discord:
https://discord.gg/Eb4HTSNzeg

DoomJedi

• Retro gamer and modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2022, 03:10:14 am »
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) and The Legend of Zelda comes to mind.
Well, obviously many games could use such hack, can make a wishlist of my own (from platformers megaman, kickmaster, ninja gaiden, castlevania, whatever, and to even simpler games like pacman or defender II or road fighter or...or...)
We have no lack of wishlists, we do need more such hacks :)

But I have only begun to understand assembly
You'll get there eventually, keep it up, wish you all the best (and if there is anything I can help...)

A lot of the NES games have been disassembled by the likes of Cyneprepou4uk and are available on github.
Russians especially seem to be good at this, one is famous here for his coop hacks, now this one for dissassembly - and he seems to have good youtube channel with all the tips and tricks, it's good I'm native russian speaker, heh :)
Will look into this and who knows...

DoomJedi

• Retro gamer and modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Today at 11:47:38 am »
Well, I always thought Ice Climber Mario (2P and 4P) where not done...carefully enough so decided to do my thing at romfixing :)

1. Made elevators to look like actual Super Mario elevators - only in snowy version.
2. Made slippery platofroms to look like actual frozen platforms from Mario Bros.
3. Made much better crab-hit animation.

Don't know how to do those things in "patch" versions, so just roms for now for my own fun, my big pixel art experience comes in handy :)
Might do more improvements, who knows, but it's already much more fun to play.

Have to say editing roms is much fun. Before only made my version of western-pieces russian Xiangqi (chinese chess) though never published.

Added paratrooper (looks bad in real game, hard to make a photo properly)

« Last Edit: Today at 02:29:39 pm by DoomJedi »