News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Can anyone get the Battle Soccer translation to work?  (Read 2459 times)

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
Can anyone get the Battle Soccer translation to work?
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:49:01 am »
Hey, all. I recently downloaded the Battle Soccer English translation patch from RHDN, but it doesn't appear to work at all.

I verified that I had the correct ROM with ROM Hasher. I tried the patch on both an unheadered and headered copy of the ROM. Both patched ROMs simply show a black screen when I boot them up. I get the same result whether I'm playing on a real SNES, SNES9x, or ZSNES.

I tried checking the authors' old site (via an Internet Archive backup) to see if a fix was ever posted, but the site had the same version of the patch as RHDN. I also tried contacting the email address in the patch readme last month. Although my email didn't bounce back, I haven't heard anything back yet, so I assume the email is no longer being watched or the author isn't interested in answering questions anymore.

I was thinking of flagging the translation as non-compliant since it seemingly doesn't work, but I wanted to see if anyone on the forums has gotten the patch the work first. After all, there are screenshots and the patch has been on the site since 2010 without anyone else saying anything—so maybe I'm just doing something dumb.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Can anyone get the Battle Soccer translation to work?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:17:08 am »
Well, at first I assumed you had done something wrong, but then I tried it myself and got the same result. Thankfully, due to it being an old patch, there IS an already patched ROM in the GoodSNES set:

GoodSNES name: Battle Soccer - Field no Hasha (J) [T+Eng1.0_Hurkey].smc
CRC32: 7EB2BC23

Of course, the patch on the site doesn't work, but I wanted to know why. I compared the patched version (which works, by the way) with the original version, and noticed that the first edit is at $B9D4. A quick look at the IPS file shows the problem immediately: the first edit is at $39D4. For some bizarre reason, the IPS is $8000 bytes off. I can understand being $200 bytes off due to the SMC header, but $8000? It makes no sense.

Fortunately, it's an easy fix, just make a new patch from the existing patched version, but I think a site admin ought to take a look at this and decide what to do. Maybe someone else has encountered an issue like this before?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:04 pm »
If it's off by $8000, then someone probably has an interleaved ROM.
In ZSNES, the ROM information text when booting the game will show if it is an interleaved ROM.
In Snes9x, I believe the text will be green if it is an interleaved ROM. (I just checked using the one interleaved ROM I know I have, Ganbare Daiku no Gensan. It gave me green text. Using another ROM I dumped myself so I know is non-interleaved, gives the usual white header text color.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:49:37 pm »
Fortunately, it's an easy fix, just make a new patch from the existing patched version, but I think a site admin ought to take a look at this and decide what to do. Maybe someone else has encountered an issue like this before?

You are correct. Good catch! If anyone wants a patch that will work on a standard, non-interleaved, headerless ROM, you can download it from my Google Drive here. My suggestion would be to keep the original patch for archival purposes but update the description and patching information, and upload a different patch  for a non-interleaved ROM as a separate download.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.