News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Crown (ROM Hack)  (Read 7310 times)

Kazufox

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Crown (ROM Hack)
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:47:01 pm »
Hello everyone, I've got going in the works a ROM Hack project based on the Super Crown stuff that's been spreading online like wildfire.

I've already made a Version 1.0 where I replaced Bowser with Bowsette, I'm debating about posting the link to it here since I'm working on a massive overhaul update. Just what sort of update?

A few things that are going to be changed are:
-More Super Crowned character
-Princess Letters
-Replacing any Mushroom sprites with Super Crown because...
-And more

It'll still feel like SMB3, but with a more..."peachy" experience.
How much did you get done so far?
Plenty already...

What are some of the changes you made?
Like I mentioned above, various enemies and characters get replaced with a Super Crowned version. That number currently is at 25 done at time of this posting and already in the game, the closer to when I release the update I'll share some of the sprites I've been making progress with.

When do I plan on releasing this?
By start of year 2019.

What version SMB3 are you making the hack on?
It will be on the USA (Rev A) file, so any NTCS version emulation will play it just fine. The only difference I notice in the PAL version is the music moves faster when converting the European ROM to NTCS emulator.

Why are you doing this?
Because I need some way to put my sprites I worked on to good use, no one else will do it so it's up to me. And yes, I was able to translate the Bowsette sprites to proper 8-bit format almost seamlessly. Minor tweaks to some sprites because the 8x8 pixel tile format.

So keep a look out for new updates coming up soon.

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Crown (ROM Hack)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:41:27 pm »
Great to see another Super Crown hack, despite how huge the thing has become, there surprisingly aren't many.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 06:29:45 pm »
This is really cool, I'd love to play a SMB3 hack with Bowsette in the mix. I'll be keepin' an eye out for this one...  8) :cookie:

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:04 pm »
Quick update! As of now, I've managed to do the following:

-Get in 30 Super Crown'd characters
-Fixed the Princess Letters so the text works properly
-Slight edits to Bowsette sprites

I've been busy...

Great to see another Super Crown hack, despite how huge the thing has become, there surprisingly aren't many.

I know right? It's a terrible shame too!

Maybe after this, I might make Bowsette (and possibly other -ette) characters playable in SMB2. At least the NES version...there's sprites of her for the SNES one already made by someone so not sure if that's been done yet.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:37:42 pm »
Bumping because I'm interested in more progress, and more Bowsette... :D

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:22:59 pm »
Hey everyone, just sharing another major update for the now titled "SMB3: Crowned Edition" ROM Hack I've been working on!

Some great news too, I'm working to make all (reasonable) enemies into an -ette Super Crown counterparts. Along with a few others too. Not everyone is made into an -ette, that will be later if I decide on doing a "Super Crown Bros. 3" hack. So how far am I now?

-Currently at 50 Super Crowned characters/enemies! Still like, a few more to do.
-Additional changes to Princess Letters.
-Reworked some of the -ette sprites I have in now.
-Changes to map items, title screen, and ending.

Expect this to be ready early 2019! Thanks again everyone for your support and interest.

One thing to ask, should I make Super Crown varients the enemies in the VS. Mario Bros. minigame? It's only reachable in 2P mode anyways.

Also, if anyone can help with the Fireworks coding at the end of the levels, please let me know.

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 08:29:59 pm »
Hey everyone, just sharing another major update for the now titled "SMB3: Crowned Edition" ROM Hack I've been working on!

Some great news too, I'm working to make all (reasonable) enemies into an -ette Super Crown counterparts. Along with a few others too. Not everyone is made into an -ette, that will be later if I decide on doing a "Super Crown Bros. 3" hack. So how far am I now?

-Currently at 50 Super Crowned characters/enemies! Still like, a few more to do.
-Additional changes to Princess Letters.
-Reworked some of the -ette sprites I have in now.
-Changes to map items, title screen, and ending.

Expect this to be ready early 2019! Thanks again everyone for your support and interest.

One thing to ask, should I make Super Crown varients the enemies in the VS. Mario Bros. minigame? It's only reachable in 2P mode anyways.

Also, if anyone can help with the Fireworks coding at the end of the levels, please let me know.

Love that Peachette sprite. I want to ask, would adding Chompette be possible? Chomps seem rather small so I've always wondered how that would work.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
This looks really cool, I dig it. :cookie:

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
Love that Peachette sprite. I want to ask, would adding Chompette be possible? Chomps seem rather small so I've always wondered how that would work.

Thanks, and a good question! Fortunately, I was able work on sprite sheets of various -ette characters before starting this whole rom hack special.

Which makes it easier to scale down since I'm limited for some of them into a 16x16 pixel frame. So anything in the red box is what I can design. Also others can be a challenge as they use same tiles for multiple frames or mirrored.

First row is the original enemy, second row is how they'll look scaled down, and third row is from my original sheets. I'll post those on here a bit later, I've got multiple sheets made and started posting some on MFGG and other places too.

And currently, I'm at 56 -ette characters/enemies. Just finished Podoboo, Firesnake, Giant Piranha Plant, and the 3 Mario Bros. battle minigame enemies.

At this point, it's a matter of what I DIDN'T make an -ette in the game...
Mario and Luigi (would save if I made a Super Crown Bros. version)
The 7 Kings (same as above)
Hot foot, Lava lotus, Rocket Engine, Rotodisc/Atomic Waffles, Bill Blasters, and the Tornado.

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 11:43:42 pm »
Oh, that Billette looks like it could've been in the actual games, it has a bit of a Super Mario Land look to it.

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 09:29:35 pm »
Thanks, glad you like. Also trying to handle what I can with a limited color palette too. So, with some advice on here about certain things to do, I've been able to change up not just the fireworks effects when getting the 3 panels...

BUT also just finished replacing the Mushroom sprite in the Spade House slot minigame with a Super Crown I drew up! Aside from that, I've also ended up making a Super Crown version of Hot Foot. This means I have a total count of 64 changes.

58 characters/enemies
6 map icons/ending sprites/etc.

But wait, there's MORE!

I've got an alternate boss fight and ending scene now in the works. With who is it with? Stay tuned for more details later.

For now, enjoy one of my other Super Crown based sheets Boosette.

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:33 pm »
Well people, here it is. Took me over a month but I present the 2.0 of my SMB3 Bowsette ROM Hack.

Super Mario Bros. 3 Crowned Edition!

This version has made a huge number of changes:
-Reworked some of the Bowsette sprites
-Made 50+ of the enemies into a Super Crown variant
-Redid all the Princess' letters
-And more!

Also includes a bonus file where the final boss is Koopa Peach/Princess Bowser! Even a new ending as well.

MFGG Download: https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=7&id=35133
ROMHacking.net Download: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4296/

Already in the works on 2 more Bowsette related game projects! Also to note, I've also submitted the original SMB3 Bowsette boss battle hack on here as well, so you can take your pick. Will share the link once that is accepted on here too.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:37:51 pm by Kazufox »

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:11:00 am »
I'm playing the Koopa Peach hack and I'm loving this so far! It's funny seeing girl versions of every single enemy in the game even the fireballs have crowns!

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 12:42:18 am »
Playing through it now, currently on World 3, and I'm loving this. So far all the sprites fit really well, though I have to admit the Piranha Plant looks a tad strange, not bad but off somehow. The Chompette fits perfectly, I waited for it to break free and the sprite worked great with it.

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:58 pm »
Playing through it now, currently on World 3, and I'm loving this. So far all the sprites fit really well, though I have to admit the Piranha Plant looks a tad strange, not bad but off somehow. The Chompette fits perfectly, I waited for it to break free and the sprite worked great with it.

Glad you all are loving it! And yeah, I'll admit it was a bit tricky trying to work the Piranha Plants. It was something of a puzzle to figure out, but had to make Pipe Land worth playing through somehow since they're primary enemies. But wait till you see the Giant Plant in world 4, I think you'll like how that one turned out.

Oh, I updated my above post to include the link here on ROMHacking.net's main site! And any reviews would be appreciated. I'm trying to get more notice for Bowsette related games/hacks. Now I'm helping another guy work on his Super Bowsette game and an SMB1 Crowned Edition where again, all the enemies are going to be made a Super Crown variant. But that's for another thread.

NesDraug

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 11:33:51 am »
Bravo! I played to World 2 and what else can I say, good work on the editing. Little details like Toad is replaced with Peachette(?) even in the card games!
Would be cool to see some new levels, but I guess that never was your plan? Awesome hack anyways!
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 12:15:45 am »
Thanks again, I had to ask around a few places to get some of the details right on it. Also a big shout out to
Quick Curly for helping me figure out the code work for the Fireworks. From there I was able to figure out how to get the Super Crown into the slots too.

I'm going to post on the main site the original Bowsette boss fight that I finished up in November 2018 and posted a few places. She's in the original Bowser color palette because I had no idea how to edit hex to keep it close to the original palette because game limitations. All that's different there is that only Bowsette was changed, some minor stuff to the notes, and mushroom power-ups are super crowns. Everything in the V1.0 notes in the Crowned Edition's Read Me.

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 04:25:39 pm »
Finally beat it, absolutely loved all the sprites. You were right about the Giant Piranha Plant, I really like it. I think my favorites were the Chompette, Bowsette, and Big Bertha sprites.

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:17 pm »
Oh, I finally got around to posting my original version, where it's just a Bowsette boss fight. Along with some minor things like ending and W7 letter.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4308/

I'm really glad people are still enjoying the Crowned Edition. Any support will help keep Bowsette and the Super Crown well into 2019!

Though I'll also be trying to handle the SMB1 hack and helping with a non-hack, Super Bowsette.

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 09:36:17 pm »
Quick question...should I post the sprites of all the -ette characters in the hack? Would you all be interested in that?

In other news, SMB3 Crowned Edition has 600+ total and 450+ of just the Bowsette boss fight downloads!