News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana: Relocalized  (Read 34685 times)

Timbo

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: Relocalized
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2019, 02:55:00 pm »
But is there a form to found the restored title screen patch anyways apart from turbo and relocalized?
No but you won't need one. Turbo will basically allow you to add it to any hack.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:47 pm »
Why yes in fact. I'm currently hard at work fixing the last few bugs in this hack and I'm working on a project I'm calling Secret of Mana: World of Balance that balances difficulty, eliminates unreasonable grinding, fixes bugs, reworks weapons and spells, adds quality of life improvements, and incorporates Relocalized as well.

One of my favorite things is it changes the end game sequence so that all three players have something to do. Only Primm will have to cast Mana Magic to unseal the Mana Sword. Popoi gets a new spell unlocked called Manaburn that can penetrate the Mana Beast's Wall spell and it'll be strong enough to actually damage it. I'll add some dialogue about how the Mana Knight with the Mana Sword lets off a lot of energy that Popoi can redirect into a new spell.

Here's a video I made of my hack in action:

https://youtu.be/KGUVce0c_2g

You'll notice the Sword Randi is using is called the Ragnarok. That's the new 9th level sword. The Mana Sword exists outside of the 9 weapon levels. Kethinov's weapon hack is one of the many that will be fully incorporated into this one. I should probably mention that this isn't a new video. This is right after I finished that hack so I hadn't yet made the new spell icon for Manaburn. I actually turned the Mana beasts defenses down for the video. It's stats will be modified so that it puts up more of a fight. I'm also hoping to rework it's AI to get it to start using the rest of it's attacks.
This sounds absolutely amazing and I can't wait for it!
Keep up the great work and I look forward to its release!!

Cheers!! :D
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2019, 04:04:39 pm »
3. Proper Caser is made redundant by Relocalized and adds nothing.
4. VWF Edition is currently included in Relocalized and is not necessary.

But for some reason if I had not put those redundant hacks before, others like 9 Items, Drop Table Balance, Scroll etc would make the game crash after I added Relocalized 1.4, strange ...
And also in that .ips that I supplied does not have the MSU-1 (which can be added first) and Mana Early Luna because I think it's entirely useless.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2019, 04:34:35 pm »
But for some reason if I had not put those redundant hacks before, others like 9 Items, Drop Table Balance, Scroll etc would make the game crash after I added Relocalized 1.4, strange ...
And also in that .ips that I supplied does not have the MSU-1 (which can be added first) and Mana Early Luna because I think it's entirely useless.

It's probably a file size issue. Good find. That's again for doing this.

Cryo16

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2019, 08:58:21 am »
Hey is this hack compatible with Binarynova's scroll hack? if yes, how to install it along with this hack?

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2019, 01:50:44 am »
To be honest, I kinda liked the old 'Lucid Barrier' spell name. I laughed when you pointed out that tinkle barrier involved urination XD

I have to ask.. So now that Kettle Kin has been replaced by Death Machine, does that mean Kettle Kin is now just an unused boss? If so you could possibly make Goblin Village a place you can return to and have Kettle Kin as a boss there who drops an additional sword orb.

I love the updates (especially regarding fortitude and stamina mentions) it all goes a long way and I do have to agree all the title screen subtitles do kinda clutter it up. Have you considered adding a splash screen prior to the title. It should accomplish giving the necessary props without taking away from the new title screen. To be honest though I would be fine with just the word 'Relocalised' or perhaps a subtitle. It might be worth keeping the 'Secret of Mana' text yellow to help differentiate between the remake and this but I feel that is a pretty subjective thing.

Amazing work <3

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2019, 06:27:40 pm »
About to release a fairly large update. Thought this time I'd talk about the changes before I do a release to get feedback from people.

Relocalized v1.5 Changelog.

-Major Overhaul to the entire system message system.
-Corrected original translation issue with Balloon Spell Description
-Minor adjustments to weapon and spell descriptions.
-Removed "VWF Edition: Relocalized" subtitle from title screen.
-Renamed "Hit %" to "Accuracy %"
-Renamed "Tinkly Barrier" to "Lucid Barrier"
-Renamed "Lycanslayer" to "Beastslayer"
-Renamed "Silver Chain" to "Silver Whip"
-Renamed "Chain Flail" to "Morningstar Whip"
-Renamed "Chain Hammer" to "Hammer Whip"
-Renamed "Diamond Chain" to "Diamond Whip"
-Renamed "Gigas Chain" to "Gigas Whip"
-Renamed "Blue Sorbet" to "Blue Bavarois"
-Renamed "The ultimate chain." to "The ultimate whip."
-Renamed "Gas Cloud" to "Bluster Gas"
-Renamed Shadow x1, x2 and x3 to Shadow Boy, Girl, and Sprite respectively.
-Renamed "Jabberwocky" to "Jabberwock"
-Renamed "Frost Gigas" to "Frost Giant"
-Renamed Turtle Guard to Tortoise Guard
-Renamed "Shrunk" to "Miniaturized"
-Renamed "Sleep Flower" to "Sleep"
-Continued to resist the urge to change "Flail of Hope" to "Vampire Killer"

I essentially did a full overhaul of the system messages. For the most part the "Rabite's poisoned!" format is gone. I've replaced with a more uniform "Rabite: Poisoned" This change was made to make the most out of the hardcoded 28 character limit for short window messages. Enemy names were expanded or reduced to 14 characters in length in a previous update.

Here are some of the new messages:
"<Name>: Magic Ended"
" Lucre!" -when opening a chest.
"Reflected!"
"<Name>: Critical Hit"
"Weakness: <Mana Spirit>" - When using Analyzer
"<Name>: Slowed"
"<Name>: Unconscious"
"<Name>: Frozen"
"<Name>: Petrified"
"<Name>: Confused"
"<Name>: Stunned"
"<Name>: Barreled"
"<Name>: Miniaturized"
"<Name>: Transformed"
"<Name>: Moogled"
"<Name>: Poisoned"
"<Name>: Burning"
"<Name> Has Died!"
"Shadow Zero!"
"Mystery Gas!"
"Boxing Glove"
"Poison Needles"
"Petrification Trap!"
"Death Trap!"
"Mimic!"
"<Name>: <Stat> <Up/Down Arrow>"
"Eveyone Recovered!"
"Mass Confusion!"
"Kupi Kupopo!?"
"Unable To Dispel Reflect!"
"Survived!"

I'm heavily considering a couple other small changes.

First, of all I'm thinking about renaming "Analyzer" to "Scan", "Libra", or "Analyze". It's currently called "Detect". "Detect is a direct translation from Katakana but "Detect" feels kind of awkward, especially alongside other final fantasy named spells.

Secondly, I'm considering renaming "Burst" for "Flare". "Burst", like "Detect" is a direct literal translation. However, "Burst" just kind of sticks in my craw for some reason. It just seems kind of awkward to me for some reason. I mean, it's clearly supposed to be a Green Flare spell.

Finally, I'm considering replacing the Burst's Icon with a more accurate green one.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:50:56 pm by Timbo »

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2019, 07:11:55 pm »
There's a little of feedback no one is gonna take attention
Why not restore the square legalece to be like closer to the japanese release title screen?

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2019, 07:14:33 pm »
anyways a little of feedback no one is gonna take count
Why no restore the square legalece to be like closer to the japanese release?

I thought about it but I feel like it takes away from the art. That's why I dropped it all together.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2019, 07:49:57 pm »
Like all the "Chain" names better, "Morningstar Whip" just sounds bad.

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2019, 08:18:40 pm »
-Removed "VWF Edition: Relocalized" subtitle from title screen.

Excellent decision!  :)  Where did you move it to?

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2019, 08:28:11 pm »
What makes you think he moved it somewhere else? He said "Removed", not "Relocate".

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:37 pm »
Like all the "Chain" names better, "Morningstar Whip" just sounds bad.

Unfortunately, we're limited to 16 characters. "Morningstar Chain" doesn't fit. One of the things this localization does is try to make a little more sense of the game's assets.

The "spears" category, originally called "lances", was renamed "polearms" because their was too much overlap with the "javelins" which were originally called "spears". Visually the "spear/lance" weapon looks like a spear but it's icons feature a number of different kinds of spears. The Javelin weapon also features a number of different kinds of spears both in icon and name.

The Whips really shouldn't be an exception. They certainly aren't flails. They have far too much range for that. When you wield them, they crack. I promise you a flail doesn't crack when you wield it. It thuds, clanks, and might make a whooshing sound if you swing it around hard enough. Even a chain whip isn't really whip. It has more in common with a rope dart than it does a whip.

Changing the entire category back to whip was a deliberate choice to make better sense of it's icon and it's not one that I'm likely to change back.

Excellent decision!  :)  Where did you move it to?

I just deleted it. My title was big and clunky and if I'm willing to delete that for the greater good then why should I give a fig about representing Nintendo and Square's respective copyright or licensing claims.  ;)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:36 pm »
Ah, I see.  Seems like a normal thing to wanna have some sort of mention about the hack, so I figured you must have moved it elsewhere.  For my LA hack, I had some info about the hack on the title screen, but ended up moving it to the file select screen so it doesn't clutter the title screen.

Removed completely works, too!  Adds to the player immersion.  :P

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2019, 12:53:41 am »
I thought about it but I feel like it takes away from the art. That's why I dropped it all together.

Personally I think it should go back in. Just the Square 1993 bit though. I love the art as much as you do but its just an attention to detail that I always did not like in title screen alterations. That's just my preference.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2019, 04:10:50 am »
Personally I think it should go back in. Just the Square 1993 bit though. I love the art as much as you do but its just an attention to detail that I always did not like in title screen alterations. That's just my preference.

There's a little of feedback no one is gonna take attention
Why not restore the square legalece to be like closer to the japanese release title screen?

Why the Square logo though? Why not "Relocalized" subtitle instead or "Press Any Button".

Aesthetically, all 3 text suggestions do the same thing. They frame the picture by balancing out the title and filling the negative space.

If I'm going to put something in there for the sake of putting something in there, the utilitarian in me is more likely to be put something useful than something nostalgic.

I'll probably just go with "Relocalized" but my mind isn't set in stone about this yet.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:03:54 am by Timbo »

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2019, 11:17:07 am »
Why the Square logo though? Why not "Relocalized" subtitle instead or "Press Any Button".

Aesthetically, all 3 text suggestions do the same thing. They frame the picture by balancing out the title and filling the negative space.

If I'm going to put something in there for the sake of putting something in there, the utilitarian in me is more likely to be put something useful than something nostalgic.

I'll probably just go with "Relocalized" but my mind isn't set in stone about this yet.

Hmm.  I definitely get what you mean about the aesthetics point of view.  Personally, I'd rather either have the Square logo or nothing at all.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2019, 01:54:32 pm »
As usual, I'm baffled about the things that people are most concerned with. This time it's the title screen. That said, I'm really glad that people are speaking up. I'm currently considering a nice clean "Square 1993" or "Squaresoft 1993" to the beginning and end of the crawl/title screen. The caveat however is that I'll probably hijack the splash screen instead. I see little reason for 3 different Squaresoft logos. The splash screen will look something like this:

Secret of Mana:
Relocalized

I'm heavily considering a couple other small changes.

First, of all I'm thinking about renaming "Analyzer" to "Scan", "Libra", or "Analyze". It's currently called "Detect". "Detect is a direct translation from Katakana but "Detect" feels kind of awkward, especially alongside other final fantasy named spells.

Secondly, I'm considering renaming "Burst" for "Flare". "Burst", like "Detect" is a direct literal translation. However, "Burst" just kind of sticks in my craw for some reason. It just seems kind of awkward to me for some reason. I mean, it's clearly supposed to be a Green Flare spell.

Finally, I'm considering replacing the Burst's icon with a more accurate green one.

Can we talk about these changes? These ideas are the one's I really want opinions on.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:20 pm »
You could just add a screen before the title. Add a short credits list for those who have helped you and whose hacks you've adapted and have the Square logo there as well as the Secret of Mana: Relocalized thing and keep "press start" for the title screen. Wouldn't that solve all the woes at once?

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2019, 02:27:30 pm »
Secret of Mana:
Relocalized

Can we talk about these changes? These ideas are the one's I really want opinions on.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I wouldn't change the spells to conform to the FF series, unless they originally did in Japan. I know the Mana series is a pseudo spin-off of the FF series, but I feel that anything that gives it it's own unique identity is a good thing.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X