News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana: Relocalized  (Read 34884 times)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: Secret of Mana: Relocalized
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2019, 03:39:26 pm »
Out of curiosity, do you have an alternative theory?
After all, just because it's not a common method of portmanteau doesn't mean they didn't do it that way.

No, but it doesn't really matter that much anyhow.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 06:53:45 pm »
Fair enough.

Burger

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47:48 am »
Hi.

I chose 'Mowgli' because 'Moglie' doesn't carry across the 'oh' sound and there isn't really anything better. I certainly wasn't going to defer to the official localization. I also don't really buy the portmanteau theory, since Japanese don't really do portmanteaus in that style; they prefer to instead take the first two morae of each word (e.g. Hagaren for Hagane no Renkinjutsushi).

They're called Moguri in both Spanish and Italian, and Mogry in German, both of which are far far more sensible options.

(I'm also faaaairly sure that mogura + komori name origin has been officially confirmed by Squeenix staff, and is not just a fan theory. And Japan absolutely does portmanteaus in that style, Pokemon in particular is full of them)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:52:50 am by Burger »

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 01:35:03 pm »

Updated to v1.3.

Changelog:

v1.3 Changes

-"Seiken Densetsu II: Removed from the game's logo.
-Legalese restored to the opening of the text crawl but removed entirely from the end. In it's place is the subtitle "VWF Edition: Relocalized"
-Instances of "Money" or "GP" replaced with "Lucre" or "L"
-Minor text edits.
-Final Credit Sequence adjusted.

Download it here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4324/

ShockwaveS08

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:06 pm »
Bug Report with v1.3: When using shops, be they in-town or via the Wandering Merchant, prices are still listed in GP, rather than the new standard of Lucre (L).

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »
Bug Report with v1.3: When using shops, be they in-town or via the Wandering Merchant, prices are still listed in GP, rather than the new standard of Lucre (L).
What?! Grrr...

So embarrassing.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2019, 04:00:55 pm »
The fact the square legalece was removed makes the title screen more...empty?

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:53 am »

Secret of Mana Relocalized has just been updated to v1.4. It now contains Queue's fully restored Kettle Kin hack, restored religious imagery, and some other neat things.

You can download it here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4324/

v1.4 Changes
-Replaced last remaining instance of "GP" with "L"
-Changed "Stamina" to "Fortitude" in the Status and Skills Menus.
-Replaced "wait 'till you have 100% power" with  "wait 'till your stamina is
 at 100%".
-Added Queue's gorgeous title screen hack and stuck his name in the credits.
-Adjusted the intro text to accommodate for the Title Screen hack.
-Restored Kettle Kin to his pre-censored Death Machine form with Queue's
 Kettle Kin hack.
-Added a new Weapon/Magic Levels icon. It replaces the ugly magic icon with a
 staff like the remake.
-Corrected some very minor shading issues with some of the game's menu icons.
-Restored the teleportation circles in the Haunted Forest back to their
 pre-censored versions.
-Fixed the GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO bug.
-Changed Morning Star to Chain Flail.
-Changed Hammer Flail to Chain Hammer.
-Changed Flaming Cocktail to Fiery Cocktail.
-Changed Twinkly Barrier back to Tinkly Barrier.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 10:25:18 am »
That title screen is amazing! But probably should remove IMO the "VWF Edition: Relocalized" part to just "Relocalized Edition" or "-Relocalized-" because otherwise it's just a mouthful of a title, and VWF is like wut? Even though I know what it stands for. The name of this hack is "Secret of Mana: Relocalized" so that's what should be displayed.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 10:54:06 am »
That title screen is amazing! But probably should remove IMO the "VWF Edition: Relocalized" part to just "Relocalized Edition" or "-Relocalized-" because otherwise it's just a mouthful of a title, and VWF is like wut? Even though I know what it stands for. The name of this hack is "Secret of Mana: Relocalized" so that's what should be displayed.

You're not wrong. It is a mouthful and the screen would look better without it...

Also, I when I first changed "Lucid Barrier" to "Twinkly Barrier" I thought the original Japanese "Tinkle Barrier" was just Engrish for "Twinkle Barrier". Right before I submitted the update to RHDN, I realized that the word tinkle is defined as a clear, ringing, sound, which is exactly how I would describe the sound effect.

I got so excited that I changed it and totally forgot to consider the fact that it's also a way to describe urinating.... Sigh... :-[

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:02 am »
Why not remove the hacks name from the title screen altogether?
My opinion for improvement hacks is that they're better added silently, rather than differentiating itself as a separate version, specially if they're compatible with other improvement hacks. I totally respect if you wish to keep it, though.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 11:33:26 am »
Why not remove the hacks name from the title screen altogether?
My opinion for improvement hacks is that they're better added silently, rather than differentiating itself as a separate version, specially if they're compatible with other improvement hacks. I totally respect if you wish to keep it, though.

I am considering this. When I initially added the subtitle, I added FuSoYa's as well because his script is such an important aspect of this hack.

Removing it entirely is probably the best decision. I preserved his name on the final credits (It actually appears above my own). That should be more than enough.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:33 pm »
Even just replacing the colon (punctuation) with a plus is better, as it shows that it's two hacks combined "VWF Edition + Relocalized", but personally I like it when things are clean, ™, ®, etc. can get out of my title screens. :p

WildWolf21

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 01:46:37 am »
Don't know if this is intentional or not, but whenever i open a treasure chest that has money in it, it'll still say "Acquired X GP" instead of "Acquired X L"
I'm using this patch along with Kethinov's Level 9 weapon progression patch, so i don't know if using them together is causing that issue, or if it's part of the problem with 1.4 of the re-localization.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2019, 03:59:08 am »
Don't know if this is intentional or not, but whenever i open a treasure chest that has money in it, it'll still say "Acquired X GP" instead of "Acquired X L"
I'm using this patch along with Kethinov's Level 9 weapon progression patch, so i don't know if using them together is causing that issue, or if it's part of the problem with 1.4 of the re-localization.
Not a conflict. Just an oversight. Keep playing your game. I'll get a fix out soon. It won't mess up your saves.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2019, 08:12:11 am »
I posted this on the submissions topic but I think I should have done it right here:

Many SoM hacks applied directly after SoM Relocalized v1.4 do not work and crash the game (9-items, scroll, drop tab balance etc), but I managed to get everything worked, simply follow my list:

1-MSU-1 (v1.0) by DarkShock (optional, only if you use the MSU-1 hack)
2-Scroll Hack (v1.0) by Binarynova
3-Proper-caser (v0.1a) by vivify93 (Add Header)
4-Variable Width Font Edition (v1.0) by FuSoYa
5-Drop Table Balance (v1.0) by Kethinov
6-Item Limit Increase (v1.0.0) by Masterflow (Remove Header)
7-Restore Unused Fanfares (v1.1) by Kethinov
8-Level 9 Weapons Progression Balance (v1.2) by Kethinov
9-Better Default Text Boxes (v1.0) by Kethinov
10-Mana Early Luna (1.1) by Kethinov (optional, I do not think it adds much to the game)     
11-Earlier Midge Mallet (v1.0) by Kethinov
12-Relocalized (v1.4) by Timbo

But if you want everything ready, here it is (it does not have the MSU-1 hack that can be applied before and neither does the Mana Early Luna hack that can be applied later):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/659in2v8nuk4l8b/Secret%20of%20Mana%20%28U%29%20%5BRelocalized_1.4%2BHacks%5D.ips?dl=0

Now you have the most complete version of Secret of Mana of all time.
Now just waiting for the completion of the 'SoM turbo' which still includes 'New Gameplay Improvement' to become the definitive version ever ...
(Better than all this only if Nintendo had released the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo CD rom and so the release of the then-planned Secret of Mana CD, but that's another story ...)
Thanks a lot. 8)

EDIT: Do not you think that after all these great SoM projects finished Seiken Desentsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 also would not deserve a new revised translation with a more modern and beautiful font and several bugfixes also? (Ex: Rolante > Laurent.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:32:25 pm by darthvaderx »

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2019, 10:09:03 am »
I posted this on the submissions topic but I think I should have done it right here:

Many SoM hacks applied directly after SoM Relocalized v1.4 do not work and crash the game (9-items, scroll, drop tab balance etc), but I managed to get everything worked, simply follow my list:

1-MSU-1 (v1.0) by DarkShock (optional, only if you use the MSU-1 hack)
2-Scroll Hack (v1.0) by Binarynova
3-Proper-caser (v0.1a) by vivify93 (Add Header)
4-Variable Width Font Edition (v1.0) by FuSoYa
5-Drop Table Balance (v1.0) by Kethinov
6-Item Limit Increase (v1.0.0) by Masterflow (Remove Header)
7-Restore Unused Fanfares (v1.1) by Kethinov
8-Level 9 Weapons Progression Balance (v1.2) by Kethinov
9-Better Default Text Boxes (v1.0) by Kethinov
10-Mana Early Luna (1.1) by Kethinov (optional, I do not think it adds much to the game)     
11-Earlier Midge Mallet (v1.0) by Kethinov
12-Relocalized (v1.4) by Timbo

But if you want everything ready, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/659in2v8nuk4l8b/Secret%20of%20Mana%20%28U%29%20%5BRelocalized_1.4%2BHacks%5D.ips?dl=0

Now you have the most complete version of Secret of Mana of all time.
Now just waiting for the completion of the 'SoM turbo' which still includes 'New Gameplay Improvement' to become the definitive version ever ...
(Better than all this only if Nintendo had released the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo CD rom and so the release of the then-planned Secret of Mana CD, but that's another story ...)
Thanks a lot. 8)

EDIT: Do not you think that after all these great SoM projects finished Seiken Desentsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 also would not deserve a new revised translation with a more modern and beautiful font and several bugfixes also? (Ex: Rolante > Laurent.)

Great list. Thanks for doing this.

3. Proper Caser is made redundant by Relocalized and adds nothing.
4. VWF Edition is currently included in Relocalized and is not necessary.

Turbo isn't going to be a single hack. It's a list of optional hacks. More importantly, a lot of the things on this list and in Turbo will cause sequence breaks, spoil difficulty, or make nauseating chaos in places with scrolling backgrounds.

I think there is a big difference between definitive and complete. That said, Queue gave me a sneak peak of Turbo and it is going to be awesome. I intentionally left bug fixes out of this edition and provided Queue with what he needs to implement Relocalized in Turbo to let people play the game they want to play.

I've actually never played Seiken Densetsu 3 before btw but I am aware that it needs an update.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:00:32 pm by Timbo »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2019, 01:47:05 pm »
Great work on this and loving the 'restored' title screen!! :D
I've always wanted to do that but never found the time. Always wondered why SE butched the title screen but this looks great! :)

Any chances you'll incorporate adjustments such as making it easier to get all weapon orbs to the final level easier?

Cheers and great work!!  :thumbsup: :beer:

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2019, 02:20:15 pm »
Great work on this and loving the 'restored' title screen!! :D
I've always wanted to do that but never found the time. Always wondered why SE butched the title screen but this looks great! :)

Any chances you'll incorporate adjustments such as making it easier to get all weapon orbs to the final level easier?

Cheers and great work!!  :thumbsup: :beer:

8-bit fan

Why yes in fact. I'm currently hard at work fixing the last few bugs in this hack and I'm working on a project I'm calling Secret of Mana: World of Balance that balances difficulty, eliminates unreasonable grinding, fixes bugs, reworks weapons and spells, adds quality of life improvements, and incorporates Relocalized as well.

One of my favorite things is it changes the end game sequence so that all three players have something to do. Only Primm will have to cast Mana Magic to unseal the Mana Sword. Popoi gets a new spell unlocked called Manaburn that can penetrate the Mana Beast's Wall spell and it'll be strong enough to actually damage it. I'll add some dialogue about how the Mana Knight with the Mana Sword lets off a lot of energy that Popoi can redirect into a new spell.

Here's a video I made of my hack in action:

https://youtu.be/KGUVce0c_2g

You'll notice the Sword Randi is using is called the Ragnarok. That's the new 9th level sword. The Mana Sword exists outside of the 9 weapon levels. Kethinov's weapon hack is one of the many that will be fully incorporated into this one. I should probably mention that this isn't a new video. This is right after I finished that hack so I hadn't yet made the new spell icon for Manaburn. I actually turned the Mana beasts defenses down for the video. It's stats will be modified so that it puts up more of a fight. I'm also hoping to rework it's AI to get it to start using the rest of it's attacks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:38:03 pm by Timbo »

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2019, 02:53:20 pm »
But is there a form to found the restored title screen patch anyways apart from turbo and relocalized?